Movies to dread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
While we're on the subject of Ridley Scott fail, don't forget about this, he's really entering Lucas/Spielberg territory:

http://screenrant.com/two-alien-prequels-in-3d-rob-56119/ said:
Not One, But Two Alien Prequels in 3D!

Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien will actually be two films and they'll be coming in 3D

On Friday, we reported on some plot details and a release date for the upcoming Alien prequel by director Ridley Scott. In the interview, Scott confirmed that they are definitely making the film and that they’re working through the fourth draft to tighten up the story and improve the characters before they shoot.

The tentative plan is to have the Alien prequel ready for release late next year or sometime in 2012. In addition to that news, Collider is reporting that the prequel will be two movies and that they’ll be in 3D!

Before you get all flustered that yet another movie will be in 3D, they’re planning this one to be in 3D before they begin shooting and it’ll be shot appropriately. If all things go right, we won’t get that cheap tacked-on 3D we suffered through on Clash of the Titans (i.e. an unfair excuse for an unfair increase in ticket prices).

An interesting point Steve at Collider brought up in the interview with Scott is that the Alien movies are visually, very dark films, and for 3D to work, you tend to need much more light. This is something Ridley Scott says they’ll work on in post, to get the light to work right.

“That’s what Jim said. The problem is you’ll have to grade it later. You’ll have to grit your teeth and light it not the way you’d like it. And then later, you’re gonna have to regrade it. Repaint it. In fact, Avatar, when you think about it, is almost a completely animated movie.”

As for what the film will be about and when it takes place, in our previous post on the Alien prequel details, Scott placed it three decades before the original Alien.

“It’s set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It’s fundamentally about going out to find out ‘Who the hell was that Space Jockey?’ The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer’s chair. Remember that?”

Scott says he’s just focusing on making the first of the two prequels at the moment so there’s no official word yet on whether or not he’ll film both back to back. When I hear of back-to-back films I get nightmarish flashbacks of the second and third Pirates of the Carribean and Matrix movies. Let’s pray we get a high level of quality from these two prequels as we saw with the first two Alien films.

Are you excited about Ridley Scott helming a pair of Alien prequels?

No.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The review I read on Ain't It Cool News made me rethink seeing Robin Hood, so I went to see Iron Man 2 instead. From what I keep hearing about Scott's latest crapfest, it looks like I made the right decision. Seriously, how do you mess up a Robin Hood movie, especially when you've got that much talent behind it?

As for these Alien prequel movies, it's still too soon for me to make a judgment call, but it's not looking too good. :sad:

I care for this, if only for the sake of both my childhood memories and what could still be a good franchise getting shafted even more than usual.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Comes to Platinum Dunes

Source: Deadline New York May 28, 2010

Michael Bay and the rest of Platinum Dunes will oversee the launch of a new live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film, according to Deadline New York.

The film marks the first non-horror remake for Platinum Dunes, who will team with Paramount and Nickelodeon to re-adapt the property.

The franchise, which began as a black and white comic book series in 1984, rose to tremendous popularity when it became an animated series in 1987. Following the first live-action film in 1990, the series spawned two live-action sequels, a live-action television series, a second animated series and a CGI feature film.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I care for this, if only for the sake of both my childhood memories and what could still be a good franchise getting shafted even more than usual.

Someone showed me that some days ago. Another train wreck for sure... :sad:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scott Pilgrim VS The World. Let me apologize in advance for this one guys. I'm sorry for posting it, OK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDq9LD7ww8

Movies like this remind me that I'm getting old.

Scott Pilgrim VS The World.
Oh thank God someone else is with me on this. I used to frequent a message board where the author of the graphic novel posted, the entire site was filled with idiots that really made me second guess going into comics.

If anyone can make this an interesting and funny film, it's Edgar Wright. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were all wonderful and refreshing takes on tired genres, and they both somehow managed to have a heart. This, from what I've read and seen thus far, appears no different. What can I say, I have hope for this. And it's a matter a taste here, since I regard Iron Man as totally ridiculous and less than exciting.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm with ya Green, I'm not big on iron man (I always fall asleep) but id give this a chance dp doubt, its edgar wright dude!

I'm actually looking forward to Scott Pilgrim for the same reasons as Perineum. If it looks ridiculous then it's doing it's job as it's mean to be tongue in cheek.

The movie looks like a terrible combination of shit Youtube memes strung together by an editorial staff that runs some MMO gaming site that no one ever visits.

Shaun of the Dead was pretty good.
Hot Fuzz wasn't that good.

I hope it turns out to be hilariously awesome and be proven wrong. But damn.

Walter said:
No, but Michael Cera was in it. And he's been on a real winning streak lately.
It becomes difficult to predict the quality of a movie based on which actors are in it, since generally actors take whatever's handed to them.* The director is a better distinguishing factor since they (typically) have creative control.**

*See: Ben Kingsley in BloodRayne by Uwe Boll

**See: Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love by Paul Thomas Anderson (but, i don't believe you cared for that, did you?)

Cronus said:
Shaun of the Dead was pretty good.
Hot Fuzz wasn't that good.

Gotta agree with Cronus here. Shaun was great. The success of Shaun was largely due to the performances of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Their chemistry was brilliant and rung true. They seemed like two honest to goodness best friends. Most people could relate and that's why people dug it so much.

However, Hot Fuzz left me with a strange and uncertain feeling at the end. Fuzz was missing the honesty between the characters. Yes, I know it was a spoof on action genres. Whatever it was setting out to be, it missed it's mark. It tried to do too many things. Old people shootouts, cults...meh. Shaun had zombies. Just zombies.

As far as Michael Cera well, he plays the same character in every movie. I really did enjoy him at first but he's a very predictable actor to watch as are his films as of late. Playlist was lame, Juno was god but not due to him. Superbad was so great because like Fuzz, Cera had a great big fat comic source to banter with. Idk, I see Cera as very marketable to certain demographics. I.e., young girls. I wonder if that's why he's given the parts he gets.

To say I have complete faith in Wright would be a lie. Loved Shaun but I think if the cast wasn't as superb as it was, we'd be saying Edgar who? Imo, Cera and Wright alone aren't two names that guarantee quality. To be fair, let's wait and see.

The Perineum Falcon said:
It becomes difficult to predict the quality of a movie based on which actors are in it, since generally actors take whatever's handed to them.* The director is a better distinguishing factor since they (typically) have creative control.**

**See: Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love by Paul Thomas Anderson (but, i don't believe you cared for that, did you?)

Well, taking whatever's handed to them seems to be a stretch there. They do have a choice which projects they want to tie themselves to. It's safe to say alot of actors just make bad calls. The list is huge is we were to make one.

グリフィス said:
While we're on the subject of Ridley Scott fail, don't forget about this, he's really entering Lucas/Spielberg territory:

So to speculate. It's not going to be JUST about the Pilot. I'm assuming there'll be humans in this story. (It'd be pure balls to have a whole movie about a race of Pilots with only subtitles. But that's clearly not going to happen.) So what, humans will have encountered the Pilot 30 years before the Nostromo did? Ugh. There goes they mystery to Alien. Although, it'd be interesting if the only alien race in these film are Pilot. Ugh. So much to think about. What could two films encapsulate? First film: Humans meet the Pilot, things go swimmingly? Hooray first contact! Oh no, Giger Alien stoway! Boo. Second film: Events leading up to the ship crash landing on LV426? Human die I guess. Boo.

And 2 movies?! Really? So, they're not going to shit on my beloved franchise not once, but twice? Guess you can say it's already been shit on twice (AvP, AvP:R).

Somewhere in Hollywood
"You know what we need?"
"What?"
"A Jaws PREQUEL!"
"Oh God, YES!"
"It can take place in a lab where a mad scientist grew Jumbo Sharks for the US NAVY and in the end, get this, the SHARK ESCAPES!"
"I'll call Steven!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Perineum Falcon said:

Yes, I am aware that good actors make bad movies, and vice versa. However, Cera doesn't fit that bill. He's a bad actor that makes bad movies, but projects with his name attached get instantly greenlit because teenage girls have a thing for him, apparently.

Also, even good directors fall on their faces with a competent cast from time to time... But let's not get sidetracked too much -- it's not as if the strength of this movie hinges on its Oscar-worthiness. It looks like campy shit that will give me an aneurysm. It looks like all the worst aspects of Kill Bill rolled together with some video game references and bad CG.

Cera has been notorious for being attached to movies that are afterward marketed as essentially "THE NEXT MICHEAL CERA MOVIE directed by some guy...." Let's not even get into the fact that he thinks he's too much of a fucking big shot to join the cast of Arrested Development for a feature film. You know, the show that gave him a career.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'll take the middle path on this one. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were good, but I'm afraid movies like them, and even more particularly like Scott Pilgrim here, are becoming a dime a dozen these days, and they're not all good (plus, how many times are we going to applaud the same trick?). But, in the same vein as the above and Zomieland or Kick-Ass, there's as much potential for fun as atrociousness... almost. Anyway, did I just recognize Jason Schwartzman? Uh oh, that combined with the Wright factor and Michael Cera pushes it over the top as a definite must-see hipster movie. I can't wait to enjoy it for all the wrong reasons, which is totally okay, because I'm completely self-aware of that. =) <-See, ha ha!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Let's not even get into the fact that he thinks he's too much of a fucking big shot to join the cast of Arrested Development for a feature film.

I think I see the problem here. :troll:

Personally. I just want to see Cera getting punched in the face and would call any movie offering that a movie to look forward too. Like Griff, I know I'm seeing this for all the wrong reasons.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Cera apparently didn't want to be typecast as the socially awkward teenager. Unfortunately for him, that is what he is in real life and he has finally succumbed to his fate. Last I've heard he finally caved and agreed to do the Arrested Development movie. Heres a link: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Michael-Cera-Agrees-To-Arrested-Development-Movie-12139.html

X

Xem

Cera's been on board for an Arrested Development movie for a long time. The reason it isn't happening now is, most likely, it's just been too long. The series ended forever ago, and at this point it would just be awkward to bring it back... especially on the big screen. Not that the series really ever fit on the big screen to begin with....

That said, I fuckin' hate Michael Cera, but I'm lookin' forward to Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. It has also already been posted in the other thread, where it belongs, in case you guys didn't notice.

Top Bottom