Movies to dread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Deci said:
That said, I fuckin' hate Michael Cera, but I'm lookin' forward to Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. It has also already been posted in the other thread, where it belongs, in case you guys didn't notice.

You sound confused.

Anyway, for some reason, this silly discussion inspired me to throw this together...

bizarroland.jpg

Welcome to Bizarroland.​

グリフィス said:
Anyway, for some reason, this silly discussion inspired me to throw this together...

Welcome to Bizarroland.​

My thoughts exactly. When watching zombieland, I thought to myself, "Man, that co-lead character looks like it was made for M. Cera. I guess he had something else going on."

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but the clip they showed on the hilariously awkward and terrible MTV Movie Awards last night for Scott Pilgrim is, to me, acceptable and the comicbook *THWAK*s and *BAM*s don't appear to be too distracting, going more for a "barely there" aesthetic rather than drawing attention to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rae-ntplV54&feature=player_embedded

This clip probably won't convert anybody who isn't already excited about it, but you never know....

Oburi

All praise Grail
The Perineum Falcon said:
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but the clip they showed on the hilariously awkward and terrible MTV Movie Awards last night for ...

Shit that was last night? Dare I waste my time on repeats?

'Mortal Kombat' Resurfaces With Hilariously Dead-Serious Promo Trailer
via: The Playlist

Latino Review has dug up info on a new "Mortal Kombat" promo trailer directed by Kevin Tancharoen (he helmed the recent "Fame" remake). Starring the likes of Michael Jai White, Jeri Ryan, Ian Anthony Dale, Lateef Crowder and Matt Mullins, the clip is evidently a test run to try to sell Warner Bros. on a darker and grittier 'Kombat' reboot.

A third film in the profitable "Mortal Kombat" film series has long been in development with rotating creative teams trying to piece together the ridiculous mythology of the games into a convincing narrative that shed the goofiness of the first film and the embarrassing amateurishness of the second. We expected to see the series again once Midway was acquired by Warner Bros., but we weren't sure what form the revival would take.

But this nearly-eight minute video surfaced yesterday showcasing a moody, dank crime story giving gritty, poker-faced revisions to popular characters from the "Mortal Kombat" universe. At first we thought it was a goof, a fan-made trailer made by someone with too much free time.

Is this what "Batman Begins" hath wrought? Since that film was praised for their grounded approach to originally silly material (with moments like Bruce Wayne leafing through a circular for Bat-tools), Hollywood seems like they've been in a race to see who can take a more literal, imagination-free approach to their own properties. As a result, we have this clip, where supernatural demon-creatures like Reptile and Baraka are given super realistic re-inventions as, respectively, a deformed cannibal and an insane plastic surgeon.

We think the cast seems appropriate for this kind of film, and the fighting on display looks fairly well-executed. But man, this thing just gives us the creeps. We want to say it's the overall deadening tone of the thing, all dirt-under-the-fingernails artificiality and pervasive, excessive shadows. It's probably also the gruesome gore — the "Kombat" games are amusing for their goofily elaborate deaths, but do we really need to see someone reaching inside a decomposing head to eat the remains? Then again, the idea of treating this like some straight-faced grisly serial-killer movie does seem pretty hilarious. If this clip becomes the basis for an upcoming film, we can't imagine anyone not cackling their way through ninety minutes of shadowy backrooms and morose, wordy exposition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk&feature=player_embedded

Yeah, it's not a real movie yet, but this looks fucking awful.

Also, for those of you still wishing to know what it'd look like if Hollywood ever churned out a Berserk movie, here's an example:

centurion-poster.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah this was posted in the Youtube thread yesterday. I thought it looked fun myself ("cackling my way through it" seems appropriate). Not like the MK series had much merit before.

Also, for those of you still wishing to know what it'd look like if Hollywood ever churned out a Berserk movie, here's an example

Now however that isn't funny at all. :azan: Just the idea makes me shiver.

Griffith

I was waiting for someone to compare that Mortal Kombat junk to Batman Begins/Dark Knight, I'm just glad it wasn't favorably. Though, it should be pointed out those movies were actually effective in creating a semblance of realism despite their obvious out of this world elements, while this trailer should never be referred to as "super realistic," it's just full of today's most popular nouveau cliches: "a deformed cannibal and an insane plastic surgeon." Yep.

As for that Centurion poster, it might be time to revive the Berserk movie posters thread. :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
I was waiting for someone to compare that Mortal Kombat junk to Batman Begins/Dark Knight, I'm just glad it wasn't favorably. Though, it should be pointed out those movies were actually effective in creating a semblance of realism despite their obvious out of this world elements, while this trailer should never be referred to as "super realistic," it's just full of today's most popular nouveau cliches: "a deformed cannibal and an insane plastic surgeon." Yep.

Like I was telling Wally a few hours ago, I find it about as realistic as Law & Order: SVU. :troll:

Griffith

Let's put it in a nutshell, when your "vision" of something makes Paul W.S. Anderson's version look good, that's a problem.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
What bothers me more is, the insane cannibal and crazy plastic surgeon have super human fighting abilities.

"Sub-Zero use to be an ice-cream man before he killed a child with a powerful ice creme headache. Soon after he began killing people with what can only be compared to, someone that has spent the last forty years practicing martial arts".

Edit: Also Baraka should be dead from infection caused by those blades.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
not bad, really. wonder how much the production costs were on that?

$7,500. More info in the link below:

http://www.collider.com/2010/06/09/kevin-tancharoen-interview-mortal-kombat-rebirth-feature-film said:
Some highlights:

* They shot the short film over two days on two RED cameras
* Started in early April and it took 2 months to do the post production. Most people donated their time. The short was made for $7,500
* Knew if he was going to get a chance at a genre picture, he’d have to show he could do it on his own. This is a calling card for a chance at making the next Mortal Kombat feature film and it’s his vision for how he’d do it.
* No one at any studio knew he was doing the short
* Oren Uziel wrote the short. He’s currently listed on IMDb to write the next Mortal Kombat movie at Warner Bros.
* Says he wants to make a movie that balances the real world with the mysticism and the special powers. Compares it to the way Harry Potter exists in two worlds. As in there are two universes that coexist with each other.
* Confirms “fatalities” are definitely in his movie. He wants to put them in the tournament in an “organic way”
* Definitely would use “get over here” (the classic line from the game)
* Michael Jai White plays Jax Briggs in the short and he’d definitely be a part of the feature.
* Says Scorpion is the bad guy and will stay a bad guy
* They only had 4 hours to shoot the big fight scene

Oburi

All praise Grail
Okay so I was sorta kinda looking forward to the new Predators movie but what the hell is this shit?

1276787874203.jpg
1276787911738.jpg

Doesn't look good :sad:

Oburi said:
Okay so I was sorta kinda looking forward to the new Predators movie but what the hell is this shit?
Doesn't look good :sad:

It's what's being called the Black Super Predator. I have no idea what's up with his mandibles...at all. I'm guessing he's a rogue Predator. We'll see.
scaled.php

It seems like they've nailed the look of what a 'regular' Predator is supposed to look like (judging from other production stills), so I'm willing not to be uber critical of this new boy.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Oh man, FUCK YOU...

I believe it's supposed to take place in a little girl's room or something like that, too. If you're going to try and appeal to people who enjoyed the show as kids, why do you make a movie that has nothing to do with the show except for the fact that Smurfs are in it? Hollywood is killing me these days...

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
:magni:
Rhombaad said:
I believe it's supposed to take place in a little girl's room or something like that, too. If you're going to try and appeal to people who enjoyed the show as kids, why do you make a movie that has nothing to do with the show except for the fact that Smurfs are in it? Hollywood is killing me these days...
People liked the Smurfs? :troll:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
They showed that preview when I went to see Toy Story (which was great btw)... I think it's the first time I've felt that Uncanny Valley thing. A bunch of photoreal rendered Smurfs... Ever seen that photoreal Mario, how it just makes you go 'augh!!'? That kind of thing. Eesh.

I liked the Smurfs when I was little. There was one story where Vanity got a cursed hat that mutated him, and I never got to see the end of the episode... Poor mutant Vanity! :judo:

ETA: The internet rocks. I just found that ep online. Finally I am at rest.

Top Bottom