Movies to dread

The remake for Let The Right One In ... called Let Me In ... what the hell!?!! First, the title is lame, then the trailer shows you exactly matching screen shots from the original movie, and it's just disappointing that they had to spend money on making the exact same thing knowing it can't get any better than the original.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Trailer for Let Me In

I really don't understand as to why this is being re-made, but hopefully that
scene will all the CG cats attacking that woman isn't in it or improved upon
. Besides that, this movie is going to be the SAME thing all over again.

IncantatioN said:
First, the title is lame,
Agreed.

then the trailer shows you exactly matching screen shots from the original movie

Agreed, BTW what was
the person in the mask with the knife? Was that in the original movie?

IncantatioN said:
and it's just disappointing that they had to spend money on making the exact same thing knowing it can't get any better than the original.
There are a few things they could improve upon, but I highly doubt they'll do it. The movie is just going to be a load of shit that is being carbon copied from the original. :schierke:

The guy in the mask
could be the father. In the original, I don't think he wore a mask. Thinking back, I guess it makes sense.

The only cool thing is the casting for the two main (kid) characters. That boy was pretty good in The Road.

I haven't read the book :schierke: ... hahaha kinda explains why I prolly liked the movie so much! The movie, as a stand alone, did a good job of portraying a post apocalyptic world with a realistic feel and premise. The acting was good, and I wasn't disappointed by it. It's slow for the general public, but bearable. How different is the story in the book? ^_^

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
IncantatioN said:
How different is the story in the book? ^_^

The movie has the wife in it far too much. After the wife went to kill her self in the book, that's it, the movie on the other hand repeatedly flashes back to hear, also the birthing scene was fucking ridiculous and shouldn't have been included. Basically adding so much more about the wife changed the theme of the story in more of a bad way

I've written more about the movie before in this thread.

Edit: Added more to the spoiler tag

Edit: Edit: I need to watch it again, I have mixed feelings about the movie. It's still a bastardization of a great book.

Heh I see your point, understandable. I know those
flashbacks and putting the plot together (understanding it)
was a damper for a few friends online. But, I'll see if I can pick up the book. So much to read grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
IncantatioN said:
Heh I see your point, understandable. I know those flashbacks and putting the plot together (understanding it) was a damper for a few friends online.

Those flashbacks weren't necessary at all, and I can't help but feel that the message to the story was changed for the worse.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/night_eclipse_CNwjEMLiqn59kRY7zVT0IJ
Director M. Night Shyamalan may need to take his name out of his own movie trailer. When the promo for "Devil" -- which he produced -- played before a Friday night screening of "Inception" at the 34th Street IMAX theater, the crowd booed when the screen showed, "From the mind of M. Night Shyamalan." "Then everyone erupted in laughter," a moviegoer reports. Shyamalan directed "The Sixth Sense" but his subsequent pictures -- including "The Happening" and "The Village" -- have flopped. A rep for Universal had no comment.

Is his career dead after his latest turd?

BiQ_

" ... "
I went to see The Knowing (with Nicolas Cage) in cinema when it was out here... it was really a mind-imploding experience. In a bad way. Just when I thought it can't take a turn for more cheese, stupid and predictability, it goes on and does just that. Multiple times.

Nicely done catastrophe scenes, though.

He really lucked out with The 6th Sense ... and I dug The Happening (yeah >_>), but everything else is B-movie material. The Last Airbender literally pissed me off, I can't remember the last time I was that mad at a movie director/ movie in general.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
My friend Puppetmon had to express her Airbender rage:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/201/9/d/The_Last_Failbender___INTENSE_by_demonoflight.jpg
or http://demonoflight.deviantart.com/art/The-Last-Failbender-INTENSE-172022129 if direct links don't work..

:ganishka:

I keep hearing how bad The Last Airbender is, so like 2 weeks ago my g/f began watching the series on Netflix. While the cartoon is ok, I'm curious to see how bad the movie actually is. The series is too lighthearted for me (as my heart is BLACK) but my initial gripe is that everyone in the animated series is Asian (Like Chinese/Japanese and the like). Can someone tell me why there are so many Indian people in this movie? That's like filming Berserk and casting Guts as a macho Japanese dude. Um, pretty sure he's a white guy.

Yeah, the casting was all wrong, especially with the Fire Nation. It's easy to say they got 10% of the content correct from the original animated series. It's that bad. From the top of my head -

- character names are pronounced weird, like Iroh (eye-roh) was called eeeiiii-roh; Aang (aang like you'd say 'and') was called ung.
- too many tai-chi looking moves before anyone would actually air/water/earth/fire bend ... so cheesy. So in fast action scenes, you'd see them do this move for 2-3 seconds before they actually bended anything.
- They show Fire Lord Ozai's face too much, and the dude is (i) Indian (ii) has short curly hair ... wtfrack.
- Zhao is supposed to be a serious jealous character, instead you have an Indian Comedian playing the character *face palm*
- rushed story, waay rushed, however he has no problem slowing down the introduction for the audience.
- The Northern water nation easily accepts Aang's training - wrong, and there're MANY wrongs like this, especially the end where Aang creates a huge wave to scare off the fire nation ships (note: after a minute or 2 minutes of tai-chi moves) versus awakening and becoming the water creature.
- Zhao versus Zuko, the cool fight never happened.
- and, a lot more ...

If Wikipedia can be trusted (who knows?!), then he hasn't really had a total flop on his hands yet. All of his movies have made a profit (and pretty huge ones at that) up until Airbender, save for Lady in the Water which looks to have cut almost dead even. Granted, I find it hard to believe that The Happening made $163 million after how terrible it was... Maybe 'ole M.Night is editing his own pages...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Airbender box office stats: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2010/BENDR.php

Budget: $150,000,000
Total US Gross (as of July 22): $117,270,641

And if you check the table at the bottom of the page, it shows you that there isn't much time left to eke out more millions. This thing will just break even, at best.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, looks like it bombed overseas! Go World! When you add back in the advertising, it could still have a prominent place on the list of biggest bombs! :guts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Airbender said:
Shyamalan confirmed he intends to continue the series... the second film will be darker, while the third will be more ambiguous.

Hey, if he gets to a third film it will be more ambiguous, sounds so enticing! :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
They really wanted it to be pretty contained, pretty scaled-back. They didn't want to put too many of the ideas into it that we could save for a second one.
Fuck this shit. This is appalling on so many levels.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Fuck this shit. This is appalling on so many levels.

It's just another example of what's wrong with Hollywood these days. They need to stop making sequels period. Sequels have no artistic merit, they exist merely to make more money for studios and milk original ideas dry. The only exceptions I can think of are sequels based on a series of novels or comics.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
It's just another example of what's wrong with Hollywood these days. They need to stop making sequels period. Sequels have no artistic merit, they exist merely to make more money for studios and milk original ideas dry. The only exceptions I can think of are sequels based on a series of novels or comics.
While I agree with you in general principle, there are at least two big exceptions: Godfather, Star Wars.

Top Bottom