Movies to dread

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea there is way too many sequels these days. Everything that makes money needs a sequel now. Takes the excitemeant out of having a trilogy.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
While I agree with you in general principle, there are at least two big exceptions: Godfather, Star Wars.

What should be said is, Hollywood needs to stop making sequels to movies that came out 10+ years ago.

Walter said:
While I agree with you in general principle, there are at least two big exceptions: Godfather, Star Wars.
True dat!

I'd add LOTR (man, the 3rd disappointed ... but *sigh*), Mission Impossible (I was awesome, II commercially good, III realistic good), Bourne (I and II badass, III a bit of a let down), Infernal Affairs, Terminator (III was meh) ...

I guess the more I think about it, the 3rd movie in the trilogy can't come close enough to compare with the first 2.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
True dat!

I'd add LOTR (man, the 3rd disappointed ... but *sigh*)

Rhombaad said:
The only exceptions I can think of are sequels based on a series of novels or comics.

Gah, I have to add Aliens and Terminator 2 to the list of exceptional sequels. I suppose there will always be exceptions, but in general I think sequels are a bad idea.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Haha, I hated the first one so I didn't even bother with the second.
Oh, it's shit. I was just joking to prove your point: most sequels are complete garbage.

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0990407/

I can't believe this is the work of Gondry. It looks like every other generic super hero piece of shit. Nothing against the Green Hornet but really? Seth Rogen? And that's the trailer for a Gondry film?

Baffling

EDIT- oh yea, while we're on sequels http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262416/

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:

I can't believe this is the work of Gondry. It looks like every other generic super hero piece of shit. Nothing against the Green Hornet but really? Seth Rogen? And that's the trailer for a Gondry film?

Baffling

I wasn't going to see it before, but now I will! :ubik:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:

I can't believe this is the work of Gondry.

I can. :iva:

Though I thought it was funny hearing Seth Rogen say something like, "Gondry and I working together, nobody knows what to expect!" I think we're all pretty sure what to expect from your movies, Seth. Maybe not Gondry, but you? Yes.

Speaking of super hero movies making strange bedfellows, is anyone else surprised that Thor is being directed by Shakespearean actor/director Kenneth Branagh?

Konketsuji said:
Sucker Punch. Trailer is pretty enjoyable and I like Snyder. Hope it's gonna be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzikBZTUy8

I disagree on all counts. Hack Snider's involvement aside, I'm not even sure who these action chick flicks are made for but lesbians trapped in boy's bodies. An actual sucker punch might be more enjoyable.

Griffith said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzikBZTUy8

I disagree on all counts. Hack Snider's involvement aside, I'm not even sure who these action chick flicks are made for but lesbians trapped in boy's bodies. An actual sucker punch might be more enjoyable.
Wow, you have outdone yourself. Well, apparently there are lots of lesbians trapped in boy's bodies 'cause I read excited comments all over the web.

Griffith

Konketsuji said:
Wow, you have outdone yourself.

Thanks. :ganishka:

Konketsuji said:
Well, apparently there are lots of lesbians trapped in boy's bodies 'cause I read excited comments all over the web.

Exactly! :guts:

I just don't get the appeal. In general, taking 100 pound actresses with no upper body strength, making them act unattractive, and having them pretend to be warrior women in cartoonish CGI situations, ones only a little more absurd than the idea of them as killing machines, is never a good thing. It's like a mixed metaphor meant to appeal to everybody but actually gives you the worst of both worlds; we're going to to take manly action and make it girly, and we're going to take hot girls and make them manly. It's still going to be stupidly violent and objectify women in the ways they hate, but somehow in an unappealing combination for men as well. Welcome to the uncanny valley!

So, other than people on it simply because "ain't it cool," I just don't know who it's supposed to organically appeal or relate to, except maybe confused adolescents of all ages that don't care, or effeminate man-boys trying to cope with whether they want to fuck these fantasy women or be them. Otherwise, it's so incongruous that I feel like it's not for anybody. The opposite equivalent would be like if you took Arnold, Stallone, Bruce Willis, and Jean Claude Van Damme and cast them as the leads in Sex and the City. Except, that'd at least be funny. =)

Anyway, that's my rant on movies like Sucker Punch, but I'm just an old dinosaur. My kind of cool action movies are extinct.

Griffith

Konketsuji said:
I guess you are all excited about Expandables. :carcus:

More cautiously optimistic. Stallone is promising the return of the classic R-rated 80's action flick, but that's big talk to back up, and the trailer left me skeptical. Anyway, it still has to be good in its own right; after all, it's not like I was into shitty 80's action movies, and Stallone made plenty of those too. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
after all, it's not like I was into shitty 80's action movies, and Stallone made plenty of those too. =)

Paging Eluvei to the thread. :rakshas:

As for Sucker Punch and The Expendables, the first one looks like its tailored for impressionable teenagers, and I'm pessimistic about the second for now (like Griff, I wasn't impressed by the trailer).

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Griffith said:
I just don't get the appeal. In general, taking 100 pound actresses with no upper body strength, making them act unattractive, and having them pretend to be warrior women in cartoonish CGI situations, ones only a little more absurd than the idea of them as killing machines, is never a good thing. It's like a mixed metaphor meant to appeal to everybody but actually gives you the worst of both worlds; we're going to to take manly action and make it girly, and we're going to take hot girls and make them manly. It's still going to be stupidly violent and objectify women in the ways they hate, but somehow in an unappealing combination for men as well. Welcome to the uncanny valley!
I agree. "glamor" type girls trying to be action heroes is a total fail. (Kill Bill is awesome though :guts:)

*reads earlier posts*
EDIT: holy crap, they're making Cowboy Bebop :ganishka:
I would feel awful, but they already destroyed Dragon Ball Z for me, so there is nothing left for them to reduce me to :troll:

Truder said:
I agree. "glamor" type girls trying to be action heroes is a total fail. (Kill Bill is awesome though :guts:)

*reads earlier posts*
EDIT: holy crap, they're making Cowboy Bebop :ganishka:
I would feel awful, but they already destroyed Dragon Ball Z for me, so there is nothing left for them to reduce me to :troll:
Akira. I'll be crushed if they go ahead, they've been talking about it for a few years now.

Keanu Reeves as Spike will phail.

Just watched the trailer for Sucker Punch. :schierke:

IDK. No doubt the plot will be lame. As for the action...there's a dragon and Oni's with gatling guns? If someone buys me the Blu-Ray, I'll watch it otherwise I'll save the little $ I have.

Top Bottom