Movies to dread

Just saw the trailer for Skyline - http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=-6JW_cJq1uc&feature=related

It looks too ... cold, as in there's so much CGI that it looks fake, like the director's other movies - 2012, Jumper, AVP Requiem, Jonah Hex, etc. Maybe I'm spoilt because I re-watched 2001: A Space Odyssey twice last week on Blu Ray which is so so good.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
The Last Exorcism

I hope so.

Ugh, I saw that trailer for that turd at The Expendables. Can we please stop making these movies? Only one Exorcism movie has been good: The Exorcist. Let's leave it at that.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/09/08/universal-to-produce-three-films-and-tv-series-based-on-stephen-kings-the-dark-tower/

Intriguing and ambitious as this sounds, this team is still hit or miss, and it's going to be a lot easier to fail than succeed with it, so it's gotta go in here for now (probationary dread =). I wonder how they plan to reconcile the TV show and films. Has anyone ever done a simultaneous film/TV series before (X-Files is the closest example I can think of)? I just hope they don't cast Tom Hanks as Roland.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Intriguing and ambitious as this sounds, this team is still hit or miss, and it's going to be a lot easier to fail than succeed with it, so it's gotta go in here for now (probationary dread =). I wonder how they plan to reconcile the TV show and films. Has anyone ever done a simultaneous film/TV series before (X-Files is the closest example I can think of)? I just hope they don't cast Tom Hanks as Roland.

I'm not hopeful.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
I'm not hopeful.

Maybe this will change your mind:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/09/09/the-dark-tower-casting-secret-identity/ :carcus:

Okay, maybe not. Surprisingly, Stephen Moyer seems like the best choice, he has the right look if you're going by the classic Michael Whelan artwork, and even a fitting voice and presence (don't know about his range though), plus he'd be perfectly happy doing television.

Some even lamer suggestions:

http://www.ugo.com/movies/dark-tower-casting-roland-deschain-back-ups

I'm surprised nobody dragged Internet choice award lifetime achievement recipient Christian Bale into the mix.

Hopefully, this just isn't even going to happen.

I would highly recommend NOT watching 'A Serbian Film'.... It was smart and interesting, but the old saying "You can't unsee something" is particularly true with this film...

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
JudeauChop said:
I would highly recommend NOT watching 'A Serbian Film'.... It was smart and interesting, but the old saying "You can't unsee something" is particularly true with this film...

Judging by the quick write up on imdb.com, it sounds pretty funny. But ya, definite "Can't unsee" type of movie.

Several of the reviews mentioned and compared it to "Irreversible", which I wasn't that shocked with, "I Spit on Your Grave" was mentioned a fews times as well, same deal. I'm a fan of exploitation films, so I might actually have to check this out.

Jesterhead said:
Judging by the quick write up on imdb.com, it sounds pretty funny. But ya, definite "Can't unsee" type of movie.

Several of the reviews mentioned and compared it to "Irreversible", which I wasn't that shocked with, "I Spit on Your Grave" was mentioned a fews times as well, same deal. I'm a fan of exploitation films, so I might actually have to check this out.

I love disturbing cinema.. and I think A Serbian Film fits somewhere into my top 5 most disturbing. I go back and forth on Irreversible, because parts of it are gorgeous, but the message is pretty trite. I'm not a fan of I Spit On Your Grave, but I haven't seen it for a really long time. If you watch Serbian Film, don't blame me though... :griffnotevil:

Just reading the summary of A Serbian Film was enough to turn my stomach. I play a lot of violent video games (:troll:), but I'm not sure how anyone can really watch that movie and enjoy what they're seeing. Blech D=

P

Pez

CowTip said:
Just reading the summary of A Serbian Film was enough to turn my stomach. I play a lot of violent video games (:troll:), but I'm not sure how anyone can really watch that movie and enjoy what they're seeing. Blech D=

I have watched the film, and while parts of it are terrifying to think about, it was rather good. I would never list it as one of my favorites, but it was interesting and it flowed nicely. It is supposed to have a deeper meaning about the Serbian government, but without much knowledge about that topic it is hard for me to tell if there really is one or if that is just an excuse for a really messed up movie to have been made.

Either way, it is definitely not for everyone.

Pez said:
I have watched the film, and while parts of it are terrifying to think about, it was rather good. I would never list it as one of my favorites, but it was interesting and it flowed nicely. It is supposed to have a deeper meaning about the Serbian government, but without much knowledge about that topic it is hard for me to tell if there really is one or if that is just an excuse for a really messed up movie to have been made.

Either way, it is definitely not for everyone.

I also think it's a good movie if you can stomach the extreme content, but at some parts I actually found myself laughing out loud and I'm not sure if this was intended or not. There were some scenes where it felt like the filmmakers tried a little too hard to be controversial and ended up being morbidly hilarious. I've also read comments from Serbian viewers who thought the supposed political allegory about the government was just hogwash (this debate is heated so I won't try to rip into it here). Nice film, but I personally thought other European "shockers" like Irreversible, Martyrs and Funny Games had more impact.

D-Scape said:
I also think it's a good movie if you can stomach the extreme content, but at some parts I actually found myself laughing out loud and I'm not sure if this was intended or not. There were some scenes where it felt like the filmmakers tried a little too hard to be controversial and ended up being morbidly hilarious. I've also read comments from Serbian viewers who thought the supposed political allegory about the government was just hogwash (this debate is heated so I won't try to rip into it here). Nice film, but I personally thought other European "shockers" like Irreversible, Martyrs and Funny Games had more impact.

Any chance you've seen (or heard anything about) Gasper Noe's Enter The Void yet? (he's the director of Irreversible).
Personally I think A Serbian Film had more punch that Irreversible (which was just a basic revenge story, with an ending as gorgeous as its beginning is ugly).

JudeauChop said:
Any chance you've seen (or heard anything about) Gasper Noe's Enter The Void yet? (he's the director of Irreversible).
Personally I think A Serbian Film had more punch that Irreversible (which was just a basic revenge story, with an ending as gorgeous as its beginning is ugly).

I thought it was the ending (Beginning? Ending? Beginning? Ending?) of Irreversible that was in some ways the most disturbing thing about the movie. We've seen what the future holds for the unfortunate protagonists and no-one can do anything about their impending doom. As for Enter the Void, I'm definitely going to see it if I get the chance. My favorite film-reviewer - Mark Kermode - made a review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwTLqUjgAC8.

D-Scape said:
I thought it was the ending (Beginning? Ending? Beginning? Ending?) of Irreversible that was in some ways the most disturbing thing about the movie. We've seen what the future holds for the unfortunate protagonists and no-one can do anything about their impending doom. As for Enter the Void, I'm definitely going to see it if I get the chance. My favorite film-reviewer - Mark Kermode - made a review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwTLqUjgAC8.

Thanks! great review, I'm going to sub to the reviewer. I guess why a Seribian Film hit me harder then Irreversible, is due to the institutionalized nature of the exploitation in the film. It was almost Salo like in its philosophy of power and exploitation, but in a more modern setting.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Unstoppable

Sounds like this train... *puts on sunglasses* will derail. :badbone: YEEEEAAAAH.

A railroad company frantically works to prevent an unmanned, half-mile-long freight train carrying combustible liquids and poisonous gas from wiping out a city. A veteran locomotive engineer and a young train conductor chase the runaway train in a different locomotive in order to bring the runaway under control before it is too late.

Edit: WTF at 1:55. They had to work in guns somehow!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Haha, I saw this trailer before machete and my god, my friends I were in such agony. It just looks so lame, tony scott wtf?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Unstoppable

Sounds like this train... *puts on sunglasses* will derail. :badbone: YEEEEAAAAH.

Edit: WTF at 1:55. They had to work in guns somehow!

lol guns.. ahahha

Worst part is that it has actors I like. Sad to see them in a movie that is highly likely to be a pos.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/12/fox-loves-damon-lindelofs-alien-prequel-script-natalie-portman-interested/

Reports are coming in that the co-creator of Lost has just turned in his script for the Untitled Alien Prequel for director Ridley Scott and the executives at 20th Century Fox love it. Why do they love it? Well, because Scott originally budgeted the film around $150 million and Lindelof’s script has a distinct lack of large action set pieces, thereby bringing that number down. Plus the script reportedly has a more PG-13 edge in terms of language and off camera violence - much like the original 1979 film. And finally, Natalie Portman has met with Scott’s team and is at the top of their list for the lead female role of “a female Colonial Marine general.”

:ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
CowTip said:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/12/fox-loves-damon-lindelofs-alien-prequel-script-natalie-portman-interested/

Reports are coming in that the co-creator of Lost has just turned in his script for the Untitled Alien Prequel for director Ridley Scott and the executives at 20th Century Fox love it. Why do they love it? Well, because Scott originally budgeted the film around $150 million and Lindelof’s script has a distinct lack of large action set pieces, thereby bringing that number down. Plus the script reportedly has a more PG-13 edge in terms of language and off camera violence - much like the original 1979 film. And finally, Natalie Portman has met with Scott’s team and is at the top of their list for the lead female role of “a female Colonial Marine general.”

:ganishka:

God fuckin Natalie Portman, she doesn't shit about the movies she's in but she'll do it just to say she did it. If that bitch takes the lead role I'll cry.

Oburi said:
God fuckin Natalie Portman, she doesn't shit about the movies she's in but she'll do it just to say she did it. If that bitch takes the lead role I'll cry.

What's wrong with her taking a role in the movie? Natalie Portman is the least you should be worried about when the article shows it has a big chance of being PG-13. What did she do to you, Oburi? Are her movies offensive to you somehow?

CowTip said:

Reports are coming in that the co-creator of Lost has just turned in his script for the Untitled Alien Prequel for director Ridley Scott and the executives at 20th Century Fox love it. Why do they love it? [size=10pt]Well, because Scott originally budgeted the film around $150 million and Lindelof’s script has a distinct lack of large action set pieces, thereby bringing that number down.[/size] Plus the script reportedly has a more PG-13 edge in terms of language and off camera violence - much like the original 1979 film. And finally, Natalie Portman has met with Scott’s team and is at the top of their list for the lead female role of “a female Colonial Marine general.”
EPIC PHAIL. I'd have loved for them to actually go old school on this and have proper props and then cover it up with minimal CGI. Awww man. Frack this. PG-13!? Frack that. This is prolly gonna be another movie that looks like AVP, AVP2, Predators.

I think the real problem with Portman is the idea that she should play the role of "a female Colonial Marine general.”. What does she weigh? 100 pounds?

Top Bottom