Movies to dread

CowTip said:
I think the real problem with Portman is the idea that she should play the role of "a female Colonial Marine general.”. What does she weigh? 100 pounds?

C'mon, it's the future. There are powered exoskeletons and big guns, it's not like she's gonna punch and strangle the Aliens. It's obvious that this film has a gigantic chance of sucking from the info we got so far, but having her on a lead role is hardly part of the problem.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
God fuckin Natalie Portman, she doesn't shit about the movies she's in but she'll do it just to say she did it. If that bitch takes the lead role I'll cry.
I bet I can turn that negative sentiment right around: What if Jean Reno was her commanding officer? :isidro:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I bet I can turn that negative sentiment right around: What if Jean Reno was her commanding officer? :isidro:

Haha, I'd rather they do a cool reference to, you know, Alien, but otherwise that would be a great ploy in some random movie.

I don't have a problem with Portman, but that description of her possible role is disconcerting. I actually think she could work if they just made her a reasonably tenacious normal person like Ripley instead of going for the cartoonishly over the top warrior woman played by Michelle Rodriguez or Eva Mendes.

Oburi

All praise Grail
What griff said. The fact that they need a tough female lead in the first place is enough to roll my eyes into the back of my head. Id rather have it be a male lead this around. What, are they afraid of losing the female fanbase that weaver established?

I like that they are doing prequels for Alien (not sure about the 3d part lol, though if done right, it might bring back the scare/fear factor that the original movie had), I'm not thrilled at the prospect of Portman. She's got the acting to do the job but not the body. And I'm not optimistic about the notion of doing a female lead again, as it'll make the prequels look like an Alien ,2,3,4, AvP clone.

anyway, here are some articles that I hope no one has posted before.
http://coronacomingattractions.com/news/directors-cut-four-ideas-ridley-scotts-new-alien-movie
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=60469
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63940
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65438
http://www.collider.com/2010/04/23/ridley-scott-confirms-alien-prequel-will-be-shot-in-3d/
http://www.collider.com/2010/06/13/ridley-scott-alien-prequel-blade-runner-hero-complex-film-festival/
http://blastr.com/2010/06/those-two-alien-prequels.php
http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=8879

Yes, that's a lot of fucking articles. Most of them are only worth glancing into to see what Ridley Scott has to say in his interviews.

*Btw, I think Alien discussion should actually be moved to the Look Forward to thread. There's a large expectation that it'll go wrong, but it's still Ridley Scott. And there's a decent chance that the prequels will be good enough to make us forget some of the later shit that's come out of the franchises anus. Most of the Alien fans I've talked to are hopeful for this. It's not some crappy AvP idea. It's going back to the roots And if Ridley brings back the Unknown factor for the alien, then this might turn out pretty damn well.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I honestly don't even think portman has the acting skills to do it. Yes, she was great in leon but when she tries to play a "tough" female leader type in a science fiction film (which she admitted once in an interview that she isn't really into sci-fi) she sucks. Star wars anyone? She was terrible in those movies, cringe worthy.

Oburi said:
I honestly don't even think portman has the acting skills to do it. Yes, she was great in leon but when she tries to play a "tough" female leader type in a science fiction film (which she admitted once in an interview that she isn't really into sci-fi) she sucks. Star wars anyone? She was terrible in those movies, cringe worthy.

I was thinking more along the lines of V for Vendetta. In that movie, her facial expressions made it easy for the audience (at least for me) to know the level of emotion her character was experiencing. Or in a nutshell, I think she would have no problem portraying the fear and terror needed in an Alien movie. I have no confidence in her ability to be a Major Colonel or whatever the main lead is, though.

I don't know Oburi

Oburi said:
God fuckin Natalie Portman, she doesn't shit about the movies she's in but she'll do it just to say she did it. If that bitch takes the lead role I'll cry.

Oburi said:
Id rather have it be a male lead this around.

Oburi said:
She was terrible in those movies, cringe worthy.

I think there's something weird going on between you and Natalie Portman. To be honest, I think you want to be her.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Oburi said:
Star wars anyone? She was terrible in those movies, cringe worthy.

This is a god awful example. There were several good, respected actors in those films that were made to look absolutely abhorrent. While I'm sure some weren't very good, I think it's obvious that the blame should largely be shouldered by the man at the helm.

Griffith

Ramen4ever said:
*Btw, I think Alien discussion should actually be moved to the Look Forward to thread. There's a large expectation that it'll go wrong, but it's still Ridley Scott. And there's a decent chance that the prequels will be good enough to make us forget some of the later shit that's come out of the franchises anus. Most of the Alien fans I've talked to are hopeful for this. It's not some crappy AvP idea. It's going back to the roots And if Ridley brings back the Unknown factor for the alien, then this might turn out pretty damn well.

I don't trust the objective opinion of someone apparently on a first name basis with the director. =)

Speaking of the Star Wars prequels... have we already forgotten what a difference 30 years makes? The director of Alien and Blade Runner has been lost in time like tears in rain, so judging from more recent history and what we've heard about this project so far I think it's fine right where it is for now, Ridley Scott or no Ridley Scott. Sorry, Ridley.

Griffith said:
I don't trust the objective opinion of someone apparently on a first name basis with the director. =)

I'm just THAT lazy with names. :iva:

Griffith said:
Speaking of the Star Wars prequels... have we already forgotten what a difference 30 years makes? The director of Alien and Blade Runner has been lost in time like tears in rain, so judging from more recent history and what we've heard about this project so far I think it's fine right where it is for now, Ridley Scott or no Ridley Scott. Sorry, Ridley.

That's a pretty good point. The last movie I saw that he directed was Robin Hood. Which I liked, to a degree. Though it had a lot of scenes, plot elements, etc that I thought were questionable. He has made quite a few decent to good movies in the last 30 years though.

I can't say much for his directing when he made Blade Runner. It's a cult classic as far as I'm concerned, but not one I genuinely enjoyed.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Eluvei said:
I don't know Oburi
I think there's something weird going on between you and Natalie Portman. To be honest, I think you want to be her.
Yea, it's a little personal I suppose. But with the Star Wars reference, yes, even though the director can be blamed to a degree for ALL of those terrible performances, Portman is even more annoying because she took the role without having seen the original films before. I don't know if the same thing applies to the Alien movies, but I wouldn't put it past her.

Speaking of Blade Runner, that's one I never got around to seeing, and now with all the different versions I'm not really sure which is the definitive version to watch. I almost bought it the other night but I didn't know if it was the directors cut or not, the run time was less than two hours. An suggestions?

Oburi said:
Speaking of Blade Runner, that's one I never got around to seeing, and now with all the different versions I'm not really sure which is the definitive version to watch. I almost bought it the other night but I didn't know if it was the directors cut or not, the run time was less than two hours. An suggestions?

Depends on who you ask, I suppose. I've never seen the theatrical version, and between the Director's Cut and the Final Cut, I prefer the Final Cut. This is a movie that gets better on repeated viewings, so take that into account. Watch any version, and when you feel like rewatching (which will likely happen), watch another one.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
The director of Alien and Blade Runner has been lost in time like tears in rain

Well put (and a nice reference :void:).

Oburi said:

I recommend watching the Final Cut. It's the version Scott prefers and it flows the best IMO. I've seen all the other versions and my least favorite is probably the theatrical cut, mainly because of Decker's internal monologue. It's definitely a movie that's worth seeing, no matter which version you check out first.

Ridley Scott off late is just one-toned predictable. The way his movies look are the same, he has a man-crush on Crowe, and if his name weren't associated with those movies, they'd tank harder. Since Thelma & Louis he came up with Gladiator - everything in between and after don't matter. Wait there's Matchstick Men and American Gangster hhmmmmm.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
I'm just THAT lazy with names. :iva:

Just use the last name then, like everybody else.

Rhombaad said:
I've seen all the other versions and my least favorite is probably the theatrical cut, mainly because of Decker's internal monologue.

You mean Deckard, right?

Anyway, concerning the Alien prequels, Nathalie Portman is really not what I'm concerned about. Besides, those who believe that Ridley Scott has still got it shouldn't question his choice for the role.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Ridley Scott off late is just one-toned predictable. The way his movies look are the same, he has a man-crush on Crowe, and if his name weren't associated with those movies, they'd tank harder. Since Thelma & Louis he came up with Gladiator - everything in between and after don't matter. Wait there's Matchstick Men and American Gangster hhmmmmm.

I agree with you. I just watched Body of Lies and I didn't even finish it.

IncantatioN said:

Black Hawk Down was pretty good imo.

Griffith

Hold everything! The trailer for the movie of the year has arrived:

[flash=640,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/O2-hiHUh4UQ[/flash]

HOLY SHIT! Nic Cage does it again! :isidro:

Griffith said:

Holy mother of christ! That looks worse than I was expecting. When the trailer first started, I thought Mickey Rourke would be better suited to the role, but the further in it got, I realised no actor could save this crap.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Griffith said:
Hold everything! The trailer for the movie of the year has arrived:

[flash=640,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/O2-hiHUh4UQ[/flash]

I will watch the shit out of Ghost Rider 2: Ride Harder

Top Bottom