Movies to dread

Oburi

All praise Grail
Death May Die said:
I believe they are making my brothers favorite comic PREACHER into a movie. I know very little about it. But the previews looked to fall short.

Yea I saw the trailer for it before Jackass and I had no idea it was Priest until they told me. Looked like generic vampire crap.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I believe they are making my brothers favorite comic PREACHER into a movie. I know very little about it. But the previews looked to fall short.
That'd be strange since I've read nothing about production moving forward for a Preacher movie. And I can't find anything on the Internet about this supposed Preacher preview. You sure about what you saw?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
That'd be strange since I've read nothing about production moving forward for a Preacher movie. And I can't find anything on the Internet about this supposed Preacher preview. You sure about what you saw?

Oh shit, I thought he said Priest for some reason. Maybe that's what he meant? My fault.

Hello haven't been around in a while.....Sorry to but in but I'm very pissed that this may even be possible. Is it a joke?

Zac Efron has been reportedly been offered the lead in the Hughes Brothers’ live-action adaptation of ‘Akira’, based on the popular Japanese anime.

It’s difficult to say who should play the role of Shōtarō Kaneda, a teenage delinquent and motorcycle gang leader, in the live-action adaptation of the 1988 Japanese animated feature, Akira. However, we feel quite certain that it’s not the star of the High School Musical movies.

Warner Bros. clearly disagrees and has – according to BD Horror News- offered the lead role (presumably, that of Kaneda) in the Hughes Brothers’ Akira adaptation to none other than 23-year-old heartthrob Zac Efron.

http://screenrant.com/zac-efron-akira-sandy-86545/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds too bad to be true. Also, that article is ... hilariously written.

"Akira can very much be described as the Japanese equivalent of Watchmen in terms of its themes, tone, and graphic subject matter. "

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Really? REALLY?

I don't know. Zac efron? WB's plans for a pg-13 Akira....it does sound too ridiculous to be true. But then again other properties have suffered a similar demise. This really should be petitioned to not be made. They have shit for a starting point.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
That sounds too bad to be true. Also, that article is ... hilariously written.

"Akira can very much be described as the Japanese equivalent of Watchmen in terms of its themes, tone, and graphic subject matter. "

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Really? REALLY?
"Akira?" That's a weird way to spell 20th Century Boys :iva:
Glad I wasn't looking forward to this at all though...

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
ori said:
Hello haven't been around in a while.....Sorry to but in but I'm very pissed that this may even be possible. Is it a joke?

http://screenrant.com/zac-efron-akira-sandy-86545/

The strange thing is, he's apparently a really good actor when he wants to be.

But I doubt its true, and also I would dismiss anything about a live action Akira since its been rumored for only a decade now.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Its not really a personal hatred toward effron (he may end up being a decent actor) he's just the wrong choice for this movie at this time. Imagine if leo dicaprio was patrick bateman in american psycho right after titanic was a major success. It just brings in the wrong crowed to otherwise dark film.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Oburi said:
Its not really a personal hatred toward effron (he may end up being a decent actor) he's just the wrong choice for this movie at this time. Imagine if leo dicaprio was patrick bateman in american psycho right after titanic was a major success. It just brings in the wrong crowed to otherwise dark film.

Anyone is the wrong choice because a live action Akira is a terrible idea. Also it being in japan is pretty central to the plot and the overall tone, so casting a bunch of round-eyes is a stupid idea. Thankfully it'll never happen. I don't know why people get freaked out every time there is news about it since nothing solid ever materializes.

MrWeatherby said:
Anyone is the wrong choice because a live action Akira is a terrible idea. Also it being in japan is pretty central to the plot and the overall tone, so casting a bunch of round-eyes is a stupid idea. Thankfully it'll never happen. I don't know why people get freaked out every time there is news about it since nothing solid ever materializes.
While I agree with you on your reasons why the movie shouldn't be made, I wouldn't dismiss it from not being made. It's been speculated for a long time sure, then Di Caprio's crew picked it up, there were rumors of Keanu Reeves being in it, it went into limbo for a year or two, and it's now come back with serious casting 'rumors'. Efron or not, I agree with you that it shouldn't be made, period. Morgan Freeman is such a bad choice for the Colonel too. The movie's supposedly going to be a 2 part movie, so I'm going to guess they're going to make it follow the manga's storyline versus the movie.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I see you're blissfully unaware of how "far" the notion of an Akira movie has made it several times before. It ain't happening, things can look progressive despite being in development hell, preproduction isn't some step that is farted out overnight and reported on in its entirety in a tabloid.

EDIT: Also the amount of times JOHNNY DEPP AS THE RIDDLER was thrown around the internet despite there being no source involved with the movie qualified enough to make a statement like that was amazing. It's really shocking to me how quickly people pick up casting rumors and regard them as fact.

Worst case, it does get made and is turned into Dragonball Evolution

30nj4mr.gif

i'd watch it

What's wrong with not 'dismissing' the fact that it 'could' be made? It's not that hard now is it? We all know speculation goes both ways whether it's Hollywood or a player's form/ performance in a sport or anything for that matter. Here we're all talking about the possibility of an Akira movie, detestable or not, what's wrong with just talking about what the rumor mill's telling us about a subject we're all the more concerned about? If it was a live action Bleach or Naruto I would care less. We're also seeing the foray of a lot of Asian culture/ remakes/ story lines being incorporated in Hollywood in the past decade too.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
IncantatioN said:
What's wrong with not 'dismissing' the fact that it 'could' be made? It's not that hard now is it? We all know speculation goes both ways whether it's Hollywood or a player's form/ performance in a sport or anything for that matter. Here we're all talking about the possibility of an Akira movie, detestable or not, what's wrong with just talking about what the rumor mill's telling us about a subject we're all the more concerned about? If it was a live action Bleach or Naruto I would care less. We're also seeing the foray of a lot of Asian culture/ remakes/ story lines being incorporated in Hollywood in the past decade too.

Look, I'm not even going to keep arguing this with you. If you know a single thing about the development of professional films, you can reason that Akira is a pipe dream at best, and a turd that gets crapped out right before the company loses the rights at worst. Its great that you want to believe it'll happen, and who knows maybe it will and I'll be wrong, but I think looking at the whole process this "movie" has been through and reasoning it won't happen is a lot better than gettin' mad about casting choices.

KEANU REEVES AS SPIKE IN LIVE ACTION COWBOY BEBOP, I heard it on the internet so it must be true.

After reading the script for the upcoming Akira movie (dated 2010, written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby and which is being directed The Hughes Brothers), I questioned whether this film is a good idea, when the anime version stands on its own merit. We’ll let you guys draw your own answer to that question, but today we have some details of the Akira script to share with you.

Before you read you already know it's going to be bad...all I'm gonna say is Travis. And "Packies"? Really?

http://screenrant.com/akira-movie-script-review-uncapie-85448/

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Part of the problem with making any sort of Akira adaption (which even the animated film suffers from) is that you have to condense a lot of information into a relatively short frame of time. Not even the original film had a scene that was directly from the comic (if I'm remembering right). You're bound to have a watered down film by the end of the day.

Again, I would take any news about this with a grain of salt until there is some official announcement. The year long rumor hurricane for the third Batman movie should be a lesson to anyone that it's incredibly easy to lie out your ass about a films pre-production and make it sound believable. I still think it's funny how there are people who believe that comic-con story about some casting sheet floating about that listed JGL as The Riddler.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/256-the-hobbit-is-making-room-for-some-lord-of-the-rings-characters

At first I just didn't care, now I couldn't be looking forward to Peter Jackson's 7 hour Lord of the Hobbit bastardization any less.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/256-the-hobbit-is-making-room-for-some-lord-of-the-rings-characters

At first I just didn't care, now I couldn't be looking forward to Peter Jackson's 7 hour Lord of the Hobbit bastardization any less.

Yea that does suck. I was thinking "finally I won't have to sit through any more of Galadrial's speeches" but nope, they managed to write her in. It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't already so many other characters returning. I can tell you that from the book, Gandalf, Gollum, Elrond, Bilbo and the giant spider Aragog must return for the Hobbit, and they have pretty big roles. I could actually buy Orlando Bloom returning for a bit part, because in The Hobbit when the group goes to Mirkwood they meet up with the wood elves there, and Legolas is actually the son of the King of the Woodland realm. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see Legolas among the elves in Mirkwood (especially because he was alive during that period too, Tolkien just hadn't created his character yet). But if he plays some big action role with more than 10 minutes of screentime then I guess that's pretty dumb. I can't even imagine how they can write in Glaladrial, she's not even close to being anywhere involved here.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a fan of this either, but I bet Galadriel will just do narration, like in the intro for Jackson's LotR. As for Legolas ... I don't remember there being any elephants for him to dance on in The Hobbit.

Top Bottom