Movies to dread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g2kASeEXUo
Aazealh said:
Jesus fucking Christ, these guys really stop at nothing.
Honestly to me whatever changes they make won't bother me just as long as the direction is good. If I want to see the Thing accurately adapted 1:1, then I'd just watch the original movie itself. There's no reason to really expect that out of an adaptation, and it's downright unrealistic to do so imo.

To me I would be going to see the same story being told in a different way. 1:1 would just be boring since it'd just be material I've seen before. A lot of things Carpenter did also don't transition well to modern films sometimes. The way plotting is used in The Thing as an aspect of of character development is something only Carpenter can do, so already the movie will lose something in that respect. What I expect to see is the same story, shot and shown differently than before. So small changes like updated CG don't really bother me too much; neither does axing Kurt Russell.

NightCrawler said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g2kASeEXUo

Custom tagline: "The warmest place to hide, is inside the turd of a remake."

Wasn't this supposed to be a prequel? Because it looks just like the 82 one, but with a chick.
As a Norwegian I hope this one at least improves our horrible grenade-throwing skills from Carpenter's movie. :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow, just wow. The Thing is literally one of my favorite movies (I watch it at least once a year... during winter) and seeing this just makes me want to crawl into a corner and weep. The Thing (along with Predator and Die Hard) is like the ultimate "guy" movie. In fact along with Aliens and Terminator, The Thing is one of the first movies I ever saw after going through my dads old box of VHS tapes and because I was so young i just have very fond memories of it. The Thing terrified me more than any of the others... anyway I could go on and on about how much I love this movie but the fact that they switched Kurt Russell with some chick... are you fucking kidding me? Oh sorry it's not just some chick, its Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim. I understand it's a prequel but shit man. You can't expect me to mental swap MacReady for Romona.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-tower-crumbles-as-universal-212572

Movies to no longer dread. =)

Griffith

You guys even buried the lead on dreadfulness, all those names and yet it's merely a starring vehicle for a female MMA fighter that doesn't even fight. Which sure helps the trailer look totally bush league, even with Michael Douglas et al. This looks like a John Cena movie with a vagina. Waste, indeed.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Deci said:
"The movie has been described previously by screenwriter Chris Morgan (Wanted) "great, Gladiator-esque, 300-like big action movie with samurai and ninja." Awesome!"

I wish he dies of scrotum cancer, just because he said that.

X

Xem

NightCrawler said:
I wish he dies of scrotum cancer, just because he said that.

Heh, Keanu Reeves' opinion so far seems to be, "Dude! It's in 3D! Whoa... and I totally got to fight a Japanese dude with a sword ... whoa!"

:mozgus:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I think Keanu Reeves is genuinely a cool guy. I sympathize with him, even though he's not a great actor at all.

X

Xem

NightCrawler said:
I think Keanu Reeves is genuinely a cool guy. I sympathize with him, even though he's not a great actor at all.

keanuanime-1275944785.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
(Originally posted in "Movies to look forward to" thread)

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/192421/20110804/first-look-henry-cavill-superman-man-of-steel-warner-bros-costume-reveleaed-new-movie.htm

Honestly I don't know which thread this should go in. But here's as good a place as any to start, I guess.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
But it's a Zack Snyder movie.
I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. I actually liked the 2006 Superman movie, though I think I was the only one. Too bad they ditched that team in this movie. I liked Brandon Routh.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. I actually liked the 2006 Superman movie, though I think I was the only one. Too bad they ditched that team in this movie. I liked Brandon Routh.

You're not the only one. I enjoyed it, as well. I thought it was extremely well made and felt Brandon Routh was an excellent Superman.

Yeah, I liked that movie too and felt Routh was perfect for the role. He aped Reeve's mannerisms pretty well too.

I don't know about this one because a) Snyder's doing it and I hate slo-mo b) they're re-booting it with the essence of making it 'dark' - Superman's not supposed to be a dark character c) they're going to show us how it all began, AGAIN (based on initial movie reports).

Griffith

I liked Superman Returns too, and thought there was a lot of promise for a sequel, but I understand why it wasn't a bigger success: too long, plodding, and reverential for its own good. Anyway, I don't know why we're looking forward to its knock off successor (though it most certainly won't be plodding =), and there was already precedent for "Man of Steal" discussion in the dread thread. :carcus:

Griffith said:
that Superman project is a whole other nasty can of worms from what I've heard. Let me count the ways: rushing to production, because they're losing the rights, but they want to exhaust the soil and salt the earth before turning it over, despite the failure of their last reboot, which they're abandoning for better or worse, and then the final touch... Zach Snyder, because they think he's the perfect guy to rush a lousy style over substance action flick to the screen and make some profit doing it. Poor Bryan Singer, it's going to be like X-Men 3 all over again

I don't think this changes things either, unless one's grateful to see Superman returned him to his dark roots (as a ripoff of The Dark Knight, right down to the title). Wait... what? As for the picture itself, everything looks good except... Superman. It looks like a still from an 80's Marvel comic movie shot with an HD lens.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I just saw the trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man and it looks like they're going the "dark route", as well. What's next, a dark adaptation of the Archie comics? Sure, there are dark storylines in both Spider-Man and Superman comics, but I think they're taking things too far.

Also, despite not enjoying Sam Raimi's version of Spider-Man (I thought the sequel was okay, but I really disliked the first and third films), I think it's way too early for a re-boot. The third one came out just 4 years ago! Is that some kind of record?

Anyway, here it is for those who haven't seen it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XayxMPrUP4

Agreed, it's like watching movie 1 all over again with a different cast in a darker universe. This's a decent analysis from what I've read online - http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/986238/the_amazing_spiderman_trailer_analysis.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I just saw the trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man and it looks like they're going the "dark route", as well. What's next, a dark adaptation of the Archie comics? Sure, there are dark storylines in both Spider-Man and Superman comics, but I think they're taking things too far.

Also, despite not enjoying Sam Raimi's version of Spider-Man (I thought the sequel was okay, but I really disliked the first and third films), I think it's way too early for a re-boot. The third one came out just 4 years ago! Is that some kind of record?

Honestly, even putting the "dark route" aside, the trailer just sucks. The movie looks mediocre already. What's this bullshit story retelling? Do we really need to see Peter Parker the awkward highschool student again? And who's this loser they got, were they aiming for someone worse than Maguire? Wow. The only enjoyable part is the Mirror's Edge: Spider-Man segment, and that likely works better as it is (in a trailer) than in the movie itself.

Top Bottom