Movies to dread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgnhnwOsNVM

Cameron Crowe is making the dramatic version of Zookeeper with Matt Damon. Based on a true story!

Watch it, learn about life, and become a better person. Or not.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Cameron Crowe is making the dramatic version of Zookeeper with Matt Damon. Based on a true story!

Watch it, learn about life, and become a better person. Or not.

First Youtube comment: "This is NOTHING like the true story at all! I read the book and this is hardly at all like it. What a disappointment."

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I don't normally watch tv, but while hanging at a friend's place I caught a commercial for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xc8XunXdLk

Rock em Sock em Robots! The movie! Why, Hugh Jackman, why.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
I don't normally watch tv, but while hanging at a friend's place I caught a commercial for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xc8XunXdLk

Rock em Sock em Robots! The movie! Why, Hugh Jackman, why.
Wow, that looks like one of the worst movies of the year.

I'm a huge fan of Alexandre Dumas' works. So when I saw the trailer for this, I felt the way I imagine someone feels when they watch their beloved childhood pet get hit by a car.

The Three Musketeers

And as petty as it might seem, I wonder if there will ever be a big budget adaption of one of Dumas' works where the characters actually have French accents. I have nothing against British and American accents. But when a film takes place in Paris or France and features French characters it's a little odd for them to sound British or American.

No joke. I wish I lived in a world where, when a film maker comes to a producer and says "I know the Three Musketeers has been done before but this time it’ll be great because it’s going to be a steampunk romantic adventure... in 3D baby!," the producer punches the guy right in the mouth instead of throwing millions of dollars at him.

The Good Reverend Wyrd said:
No joke. I wish I lived in a world where, when a film maker comes to a producer and says "I know the Three Musketeers has been done before but this time it’ll be great because it’s going to be a steampunk romantic adventure... in 3D baby!," the producer punches the guy right in the mouth instead of throwing millions of dollars at him.

Hollywood.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a huge fan of Alexandre Dumas' works. So when I saw the trailer for this, I felt the way I imagine someone feels when they watch their beloved childhood pet get hit by a car.

Yeah it's pretty bad. As always with crazy adaptations I can't help but wonder why they didn't just call this by another title and just say it was "inspired by".

And as petty as it might seem, I wonder if there will ever be a big budget adaption of one of Dumas' works where the characters actually have French accents. I have nothing against British and American accents. But when a film takes place in Paris or France and features French characters it's a little odd for them to sound British or American.

Watch French movies with subtitles and you won't have that problem. :iva:

Griffith

Deci said:
And BAM! (Dead Island), it's happening.

Get ready to be spammed.

Talk about the tail wagging the dog. I love the spin on this; a totally derivative concept, a cliched viral video, and... it's a transcendent work of pop culture art! Except that nobody cares, so they probably shouldn't get too far ahead of themselves. The game came out weeks ago (I had to look it up) and the trailer is still what its famous for, not that there was much to it in the first place.

I didn't like Dead Island at all. The trailer turned out to be the best thing about the game. Oh, not to mention I updated my Dead Island today on my PS3, and it corrupted my save data. The game was frustrating as hell (Takes 3 hit to die, and 10 hits to kill anything) , and really all the time I put into it was for nothing. I rather play left 4 dead, hell come to think of I would rather see a left 4 dead movie than a Dead Island movie. L4D had great opening sequences, why should Dead Island get all the fun?

Aazealh said:
Watch French movies with subtitles and you won't have that problem. :iva:
In fact, that's what I prefer, I even got Les Riviere pourpres 1, 2, Le pacte des loups and Dobermann with english subtitles and I'm planning on watching these this year. :guts: Is there any other good french movies I should be aware of?
And I also watched Wasabi with eng sub, but the movie itself wasn't great.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
In fact, that's what I prefer, I even got Les Riviere pourpres 1, 2, Le pacte des loups and Dobermann with english subtitles and I'm planning on watching these this year. :guts: Is there any other good french movies I should be aware of?

I wouldn't call those "good" though. :iva:

Anyway there are indeed many good French movies you should probably be aware of, but I honestly don't have the time to write you a guide at the moment. I'm sure you can find something comprehensive on the Internet.

Oburi said:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/marvel/avengers/
Watched it on mute at work. I liked Thor as a stand-alone movie (not knowing how true it was or wasn't to the comic), I've yet to see Captain America. The first Iron Man's watchable. I might watch this when it comes out next year, the beginning of the trailer didn't look too good but towards the end it kinda picks some momentum and looks 'decent'.

Aazealh said:
I wouldn't call those "good" though. :iva:

Anyway there are indeed many good French movies you should probably be aware of, but I honestly don't have the time to write you a guide at the moment. I'm sure you can find something comprehensive on the Internet.
Really? I wasn't expecting a guide, to tell the truth, I just thought you'd say: Don't watch this shit, just pick of a copy of "2-3 titles" and enlighten yourself with this masterpieces. But, oh well. :guts:

And I will watch The Avengers, Joss Whedon is a pretty good screenwriter.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Whedon's involvement is the only possible way this mess will be watchable. And that's still a gamble, as far as I can judge by this trailer. Just looks like generic superhero shit to me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Really? I wasn't expecting a guide, to tell the truth, I just thought you'd say: Don't watch this shit, just pick of a copy of "2-3 titles" and enlighten yourself with this masterpieces. But, oh well. :guts:

Well I don't know what to tell you man; there's really a lot of notable French movies depending on what you like. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Walter said:
Whedon's involvement is the only possible way this mess will be watchable. And that's still a gamble, as far as I can judge by this trailer. Just looks like generic superhero shit to me.

I think that by definition it's hard for it not to be generic, especially considering that they're likely going to re-introduce everyone to the audience and all. Still, I'll admit I fell for The Hulk's conspicuous absence and was therefore pleased to see him in there at the end.

Aazealh said:
Well I don't know what to tell you man; there's really a lot of notable French movies depending on what you like. I wouldn't know where to begin.
Umm, I'm a many-sided person and I equally enjoy Boondock Saints and Dark Knight, King's Speech and Ip Man, so you can list whatever you think is worthy.

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
Still, I'll admit I fell for The Hulk's conspicuous absence and was therefore pleased to see him in there at the end.

Would have been infinitely better if Norton would've sucked it up and played the role, though. :sad:

I expect the first half of the movie is capturing Hulk, then 2nd half is fighting Loki and co. I'm excited for what it is, and I agree with the sentiments Whedon is a good writer. He's already done some online motion comic movies... lemme see if I can find them... here's an example,

Astonishing X-Men

has received very positive reviews, so it's hopeful since he's at least familiar with the universe and the medium and whatnot.

Griffith

Deci said:
Would have been infinitely better if Norton would've sucked it up and played the role, though. :sad:

Norton apparently wanted to reprise the role, but the studio dumped him because he's a headache. Too bad, it'd certainly have more cache with him involved, but it's not like his version of The Hulk was a classic or anything.

Deci said:
I agree with the sentiments Whedon is a good writer.

Unfortunately, good writers don't always make the most financially successful movies. My only rooting interest is that Whedon do well so he gains some much-deserved Hollywood mojo. I'm not counting on it though, the Avengers have always left me cold, and this recent run of superhero movies leading up to it have been bollocks, so it would it be fittingly cruel if Whedon paid the price for that and The Avengers underperformed.

X

Xem

Well Marvel has pretty much literally put all their eggs in one basket on this one so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Even if it fails I feel like this is one of those things they'll keep doing until they get it right, like all Super Hero movies I guess. So wish'em luck. :troll:

I'm sorta curious to see how the numbers match up with Marvel Studios ticket sales and youtube viewings of after-credits Easter Eggs. :griffnotevil:

Top Bottom