Movies to dread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I hope they don't have another Batman movie that disregards Nolan's movies like the upcoming Superman/ Spiderman movies.
[$_$]I can't imagine they'd do something like that to the Batman franchise.[/$_$]

Hahaha you're right ... as disheartening it is, you're absolutely right. Good or bad news, Ruffalo is signed up for 6 more movies as Hulk.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
IncantatioN said:
I hope they don't have another Batman movie that disregards Nolan's movies like the upcoming Superman/ Spiderman movies.

God I hope they do! It's bad enough they've already announced their shitty Batman reboot BEFORE THE LATEST MOVIE IS OUT (Spider-Man franchise, you're off the hook), but if DKR is good do you really want them bastardizing The Dark Knight movies directly? I hope they just make a clean break so I can more easily disregard it, or more pertinently, so that they don't cheaply try giving the new movies some undeserved legitimacy based on the last three.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:

That's what the word "reboot" means.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Say goodbye to your long-enduring hopes for James Cameron to return to Terminator, et al. Oh yeah, and how you feel about Avatar 4?

http://badassdigest.com/2012/05/07/james-camerons-only-making-avatar-movies-from-now-on/

[quote author=James Cameron]
Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the “Avatar” business. Period. That’s it. I’m making “Avatar 2,” “Avatar 3,” maybe “Avatar 4,” and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. [/quote]

Here's the part I found particularly gross about this mindset:

I think within the “Avatar” landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way.
Here's what Douglas Sirk has to say about directors who preach to their audiences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02M_qbTbDA

H

hellrasinbrasin

I didn't like the 1st Avatar film and since 2 & 3 are going to be more of the same I know for a fact that I'll be keeping my distance from them. And as far as the 3rd theatrical Batman reboot goes I'll watch those films through Netflix.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
I didn't like the 1st Avatar film and since 2 & 3 are going to be more of the same I know for a fact that I'll be keeping my distance from them. And as far as the 3rd theatrical Batman reboot goes I'll watch those films through Netflix.
Couldn't one argue that Schumacher's Batman movies were separate from Burton's? Making the presumed next series the FOURTH reboot?

H

hellrasinbrasin

That's kinda splitting the hair mighty thin don't you think Walter. If WB had come out and said or we had any type of official confirmation that the 2 Batman films set after Batman Returns were not related to the 1st 2 Burton films that would have been that but we never got that response.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
That's kinda splitting the hair mighty thin don't you think Walter. If WB had come out and said or we had any type of official confirmation that the 2 Batman films set after Batman Returns were not related to the 1st 2 Burton films that would have been that but we never got that response.
I think you took my question way too seriously. Perhaps an emoticon would have sealed the deal on this one. So here, retroactively: :troll:

Griffith

hellrasinbrasin said:
Walter said:
I think you took my question way too seriously. Perhaps an emoticon would have sealed the deal on this one. So here, retroactively: :troll:

I'm going to take it even more seriously and call BS on hellrasinbasin:

Those pairs of films are virtually antithetical visions of Batman in substance and style, which everyone inherently recognizes without the benefit of a press release. To say otherwise is to operate under an artificial construct and technicality because Warner Bros. arbitrarily tied them together for advertising continuity, because that's just how it was done back then. Just like if Batman Forever were released now it'd naturally be advertised as a reboot and a new project, which it actually was for all practical intents and purposes (except $$$), just ahead of its time.

On the other hand, I saw the latest Amazing Spider-Man trailer at The Avengers last weekend, and the voice over made it seem ambiguously sequel-esque, or at least played on the fact we're obviously already familiar with this character... "but there's more!" (let's just say the tone certainly wasn't Spider-Man Begins). If I didn't have official confirmation I would have thought it was Spider-Man 4! :iva:

H

hellrasinbrasin

GI Joe 2 Retaliation has been delayed into 2013 for a 3D Conversion.

Meanwhile in the bowels of The Underworld SONY has attached the writer/Director of Chronicle (which was a good idea) to adapt Shadow of the Colossus (which is a bad idea) for the big screen.

source: http://kotaku.com/5912843/shadow-of-the-colossus-film-adaptation-in-the-works

+++

Think happy thoughts here now...

The Exorcist is being remade as a 10-Part Tv-Series

Fail Link: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55973

--------

Happy Days not a film about the show but Happy News

Paramount Shuts Down NINJA TURTLES For The Time Being!!

The heroes on the half shell are getting put on the shelf indefinitely.

Paramount has pulled the plug on the Jonathan Liebesman-helmed reboot of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, pushing its release back indefinitely... and, no, it's not for 3D post-conversion and/or more Channing Tatum.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Paramount, already gun shy with the delays the studio is facing with G.I. JOE: RETALIATION and WORLD WAR Z, is willing to take its time with NINJA TURTLES in order to iron out what it feels are script problems. Rather than rush it out there in order to make its December 2013 release date and potentially damage the future of the franchise with a poor showing, Paramount is learning their lesson of putting forth a subpar product that may come back to bite them in the ass later. Better late than never.

In the meantime, Platinum Dunes will have to chill with the reboot, and, once the script is ready to go, NINJA TURTLES will move forward again... but when that will be is right now anyone's guess.

Turtle Power!!! http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56447

H

hellrasinbrasin

Aazealh said:

The HIGHLANDER Remake's Connor MacLeod Appears To Be...
Published at: Jun 28, 2012 8:59:54 AM CDT

Back in May, we learned that Ryan Reynolds was the "frontrunner" to play Connor MacLeod in the long-gestating HIGHLANDER remake/reboot/rehash/re(surrection).

THIS article at The Tracking Board now confirms Reynolds' casting. Hopefully this'll work out better than GREEN LANTERN.

At one point FAST AND THE FURIOUS 3, 4, 5, and 6's Justin Lin was attached to helm this picture - at the moment Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 WEEKS LATER) is wrangling that duty. They've been through so many writers and so much tweaking on this project I'm not even sure who is scripting at the moment...if indeed there is a scripter at the moment.

My understanding of the matter is that, so far, the core essence of the concept from Russell Mulcahy's 1986 progenitor movie remains in-tact (Connor the immortal battling his way through the ages in a fight to survive the one fate which can end an immortal) - but that many of the trappings surrounding that conceit might be altered. Please don't take any of this to the bank, though, as HIGHLANDER remake matters seem to be in tremendous flux at the moment, and there seems to be a decided lack of clarity regarding what's going on with the show at this time. From the outside looking in, at least.

If there's a Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez counterpart in this, who should play him/her? Personally, I think they should cast against type...and mess with audiences expectations(not that they should be remaking this at all - just for purposes of discussion).

More as we know more...

Source: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56651

Well it can't be as bad as The Green Lantern film and it can't be as bad as his short lived Deadpool role in X-Men Origins Wolverine. So just how bad this ends up being remains to be seen.

---

So The STARSHIP TROOPERS Re-adaptation Will Be Wimpier Than Verhoeven's 1997 Movie, But The Good News Is...
Published at: Jun 28, 2012 9:42:56 AM CDT

Toby Jaffe is producing Len Wiseman's forthcoming remake of TOTAL RECALL, and is also toiling away on a re-adaptation of Robert A. Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS - previously brought to the big screen in a subverse, ultra-violent, FX-laden action yarn by the great Paul Verhoeven. So, two Verhoeven classic pictures...both being re-approached by the same producer.

Empire spoke with Jaffe about STARSHIP TROOPERS and the subject naturally turned to the issues of ratings and violence.

Says Jaffe...

"The more expensive a film is, the harder it is now to make it that violent,"

[EDIT]

"With Recall in particular, we made a conscious choice to keep it tonally closer to something like Minority Report. It gives the studio, and us as producers, the opportunity to reintroduce it in a new way."

[EDIT]

...our job is to be a little more faithful to the book, and ground it a little more."

Source: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56652

I hate Bug Movies they creep me out.

Griffith

MrWeatherby said:
I know this is pretty late, but you shouldn't put faith in Batman casting rumors of any sort.

Oh yeah, it'll probably never happen anyway, thankfully, but the "announcement" was astonishing in itself. Also, yes, thanks for pointing out the obvious two months later; now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go freak out about possible live-action Hollywood adaptions of Akira. :magni:

Last I read - production came to a halt because they wanted to make the movie with a smaller budget and the script needed re-working cos of that (I hope it never comes out, seeing as smaller budget MAY translate to not having the means to make it look awesome). Is there an update further than that?!

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Griffith said:
Oh yeah, it'll probably never happen anyway, thankfully, but the "announcement" was astonishing in itself. Also, yes, thanks for pointing out the obvious two months later; now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go freak out about possible live-action Hollywood adaptions of Akira. :magni:

I mostly brought it up because that same day at work some dumb little shit kept trying to tell me Johnny Depp is totally going to be in the NEXT Batman as Riddler. For sure this time.

Casting rumors for Batman are the worst. Akira is up there too.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan may have cut their teeth in Hollywood, penning four installments of the SAW series - IV, V, VI and 3D - but that and a spec script called MONSTROPOLIS got them in the door with Guillermo del Toro to write the screenplay for next year's PACIFIC RIM, which I'm hearing looks amazing and may just blow some unsuspecting folk away at this year's Comic-Con.

Based on the advance word for PACIFIC RIM, Universal has brought the pair on to take a stab at rewriting their adaptation of the video game GOD OF WAR. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Melton and Dunstan will be trying to improve upon the initial draft written by executive producer David Self, in the hopes of bringing Kratos' battles to life sooner rather than later.

The GOD OF WAR series has been incredibly popular since it arrived on the scene in 2005 for Sony's video game, so it makes perfect sense for Universal to want to press on with making this happen. Unlike some other failed video game-to-movie adaptations, GOD OF WAR has elements of IMMORTALS, CLASH OF THE TITANS and 300 all rolled up into one title, so it may make for an easier transition to mainstream audiences who know nothing of GOD OF WAR.

Source of Wrath: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56913

Top Bottom