Movies to dread

Deci

RIPD looks like a mix between MiB and Hellboy, with Jeff Bridges. I'll be honest here, I enjoy all of those so I think it'll be a fun movie.

Thor 2's trailer is so infinitely cheesy that I think that it's on purpose. I just can't imagine they'd put Portman's kidnapping at the forefront like that, with Thor's screaming too. Going to reserve judgment until we get a "real" trailer, with some more of the actual villain shown. I bet the movie itself will probably be good (imo).

Deci said:
RIPD looks like a mix between MiB and Hellboy, with Jeff Bridges. I'll be honest here, I enjoy all of those so I think it'll be a fun movie.

One of those flicks you go with a group of people or if you're drunk. So over the top yeah? Haha.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
The Great Gatsby.

Holy FUCK was this terrible, and a swift kick in the nuts to F. Scott Fitzgerald. Not that the book is anything more than a classic to me anyway, but still, it was an eye-candy CGI masturbation bonanza.

Aww man, that sucks. I wanted to check it out cos one of the biggest Bollywood legend's in it, though he's probably on screen for a few seconds. I like the main cast, except Maguire. Baz's a hit-n-miss.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQc4ZXh6azE

They should have just made Lulu the movie.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I was really hoping the 7 year gap meant the project was dead and yet here it is. I can't help but shake my head every time I see an ad for this movie.

Delta Phi Zeta said:
I was really hoping the 7 year gap meant the project was dead and yet here it is. I can't help but shake my head every time I see an ad for this movie.
Silly. They took that 7 years cause they were filming everything in slow mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yseYEtQoJQ&feature=player_embedded

Holy shit, Travolta's accent is hilarious hahaha ... this can't be worse than Battlefield Earth.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
IncantatioN said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yseYEtQoJQ&feature=player_embedded

Holy shit, Travolta's accent is hilarious hahaha ... this can't be worse than Battlefield Earth.

And it's going straight to VOD. :ganishka:

^ aahahahaha GOOD.

Here's an odd one, Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy fits right here, don't check the full trailer if you don't want to see the whole movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLcnrnEqyI

I think it'll still end up making money just because of Lee attached to it + the fact that it's R people might think it's cool. Eeeeh ...

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
^ aahahahaha GOOD.

Here's an odd one, Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy fits right here, don't check the full trailer if you don't want to see the whole movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLcnrnEqyI

I think it'll still end up making money just because of Lee attached to it + the fact that it's R people might think it's cool. Eeeeh ...

Spike Lee is one of the worst humans in the world. He could direct the greatest movie of all I time and I still wouldn't give him my money.

Deci

Johnstantine said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

New Robocop trailer.

They took away the gruesome gun death and replaced it with an exploding car? I imagine the company who wanted to test their technology went ahead and did that.

Black suit looks dumb, too. It's like they're trying to mix Iron Man and Batman into one thing.

0/10.

What I bolded was the first thing to I had a major major gripe with in the trailer and then I began to instantly remember that Robocop was one of those movies that would and will never need a remake. That event being changed the way it was I think is a perfect example of how this reboot (Obviously not a remake, right?) will pale in comparison to the original.

I have no problem with the suit, though, I don't get that criticism but to each their own.

I don't know if the movie will suck or not, I think there's some talent behind it, but I do know it was absolutely not needed. Makes me frown. :(

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
They took away the gruesome gun death and replaced it with an exploding car? I imagine the company who wanted to test their technology went ahead and did that.

Yup, 100% obvious right from the start.

Johnstantine said:
Black suit looks dumb, too. It's like they're trying to mix Iron Man and Batman into one thing.

It's funny that the dumbass head-honcho telling them to "make it more tactical" is made to look like an idiot but that they went ahead with that design anyway (not that I mind said design all that much personally, but it lacks uniqueness). Although in half the scenes he actually isn't black so maybe he ditches it halfway through, who knows.

Anyway, the movie looks entertaining enough (if supremely predictable), but it's clear it'll never hold a candle to the original.

Classic awesome original movie ... this so different (character motives, essence, etc.) and what also kills it is that it's made for PG-13, wish they went with R and fleshed it out like the original or like Dredd's remake which wasn't bad at all. Definitely gonna check this one out on the big screen though.

Combat armor > Stealth armor.

EDIT: watched the trailer again and again. Murphy's going to be so different, I mean in the original he was brutally murdered during active duty and Robocop lives through PTSD and all that, which gives him a lotta depth. Here, it's a car-bomb that went off
when he was home. Like you guys point out, I guess the plot will revolve around Robocop finding out he was part of a planned test or whatever for future weapons.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
robocopy.jpg

Aazealh said:
It's funny that the dumbass head-honcho telling them to "make it more tactical" is made to look like an idiot but that they went ahead with that design anyway.

I thought the same thing right after that line, "So, the film's producers are basically on the same level as the evil corporate jackass in their own movie? By their own admission they're clueless bad guys with terribly hacky Robo Cop ideas." Anyway, I'm not surprised that billionaire CEO would be advocating "tactical" black...

1245905057.jpg

Aazealh said:
Although in half the scenes he actually isn't black so maybe he ditches it halfway through, who knows.

Yeah, they certainly made it appear that way, but it could just be some clever editing. Like that part where, "OMG HE'S GOING ROGUE, IT'S THE HUMAN ELEMENT!" it looks like he's escaping, or... doing a obsticle earlier in the movie. I mean, it would be cooler if he looked more classic when he regains independence (or just in general), and I get it thematically (BLACK = BAAAD ROBO WORKIN FOR DA MAN!), but what's the practical explanation for him changing colors back and forth? Mood armor?

Aazealh said:
Anyway, the movie looks entertaining enough (if supremely predictable), but it's clear it'll never hold a candle to the original.

The most impressive and creative part is the casting frankly, except for, ya know, Robo Cop. Otherwise, it looks pretty tepid.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
It’s only really similar in name (he could have just been a movie about a Cyborg, maybe even cash in on DC's Cyborg origin). The way Alex Murphy died in the original was so brutal, it was his humanity being stripped away in the hail of gunfire even before he was made into Robocop. In fact it was Officer Lewis who was the only one who associated him with his former self "Murphy, it’s you," causing him to seek out and basically relive his own death, and in the end he finally identifies himself as Murphy, reclaiming humanity. Here, he just got blowed up and fitted with a robot suit (still being referred to as "Alex") and instead of a story of regaining one’s humanity, it appears to be a movie about losing it.

Antonius Block

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.
Remaking Robocop is like remaking Apocalypse Now, or A Clockwork Orange, there is no way in Hell it should ever be done... I can't imagine a better villain than Clarence Boddicker, or a better kill-scene than Emil getting ravaged by toxic waste, not to mention all of the clever little satirical jabs that Verhoeven added to the mix.

This is typical 21st Century Hollywood BS, which is why I try real hard to steer clear.

I can say with confidence that this is gonna be one real big stinker...

Case in point:

Alex Murphy: What kind of suit is this?
Dr. Dennett Norton: It's not a suit, it's you.
Alex Murphy: What the hell did you do to me?

Trailer for Pompei

http://movies.yahoo.com/video/pompei-trailer-4-194006452.html

Paul's last good movie was Event Horizon, maybe Soldier ... but I haven't watched that in years.

Top Bottom