Movies to dread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
http://youtu.be/_flR9_6msik

FANT4STIC, or not really. If you're going to do the Michael Caine/Morgan Freeman super serious narration trailer, you should hire one of those two so it doesn't sound like a car commercial, or at least a really good car commercial. Anyway, I feel like Marvel coukd make a billion dollars with this property, or at least shit out a better movie, but Fox is just going to keep making weird movies that don't work either as comicbook adaptations or entertainment. They should just trade for Inhumans or something.

Utterly terrible trailer. And in all seriousness, does anyone actually give a shit about Fantastic Four as a series? As characters? Or is this a kind of legacy product...

Walter said:
Utterly terrible trailer. And in all seriousness, does anyone actually give a shit about Fantastic Four as a series? As characters? Or is this a kind of legacy product...

Truthfully, the fantastic four comes off as a series that never grew up or matured. Silver Surfer, Galactus, and a few other characters are the best to come from them. By themselves, I find them the worst of all popular comic properties.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Oh look, another origin story… I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume Sue and Johnny aren't related anymore, at least not by blood. It's a weird change. This trailer came off as way too serious without giving a reason why. I guess that's part of the mystery left by the final line. I haven't cared so little for a superhero movie ever, and that includes Amazing Spiderman 2, which I have no intention of ever seeing unless by sheer accident.

Walter said:
And in all seriousness, does anyone actually give a shit about Fantastic Four as a series? As characters? Or is this a kind of legacy product...

Last I heard, Marvel is cancelling the comic (along with several others in some kind of Crisis event), whether its a move to get their rights back or not, it doesn't bode well for Fox who seems to be clinging to an already sunken ship.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
http://youtu.be/_flR9_6msik

Had you told me this was a fan-made trailer by art students, I'd have believed you. Apparently the making of this movie has been a nightmare for Fox. Who'd have thought!

Walter said:
And in all seriousness, does anyone actually give a shit about Fantastic Four as a series? As characters? Or is this a kind of legacy product...

I actually like the Fantastic Four. I think in competent hands a nice little story could be concocted where they'd fight Doctor Doom, something without pretention but entertaining. At this point though they've really killed the franchise.

Aazealh said:
Had you told me this was a fan-made trailer by art students, I'd have believed you. Apparently the making of this movie has been a nightmare for Fox. Who'd have thought!

Wow... the first minute of that trailer feels like a cheesy, sentimental commercial to convince high school kids to join the marines or something. If it weren't for a brief shot of the human torch all immolatey and a poorly designed the thing, that's what I would've thought this was.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
VengeanceQuest982 said:
Oh look another remake... This film made me fear & hate clowns now I pitty them after watching the Trailer for Poltergeist the remake.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HD2sz9RVzfM

Actually just saw this trailer. I think the original still holds up really well today. I don't know why anyone would wanna go see this remake when the original will probably offer a better overall experience. This remake just looks like jump-scare after jump-scare.

Delta Phi said:
Actually just saw this trailer. I think the original still holds up really well today. I don't know why anyone would wanna go see this remake when the original will probably offer a better overall experience. This remake just looks like jump-scare after jump-scare.

It doesn't look like it's going to be as good as the original, but I don't think it looks completely unwatchable either. (To be honest I liked
the "closet scene."
) I'll give it a shot when it comes out on Netflix or next to nothing on DVD.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
In case anyone hasn't seen this yet.

Aquaman-Jason-Momoa-1.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/02/20/jason-momoas-aquaman-is-appropriately-outrageous/

The article touches on some of my thoughts.

What is interesting is how much I’ve read about how relatively, for lack of a better word, “bad ass” this new Aquaman is. And of course, they didn’t hire Mr. Momoa so he could look sweet and wholesome. Moreover, the notion that we should be surprised by how intimidating the character looks shows something of a generational disconnect.
The photo above is arguably least surprising to today’s kids because they didn’t grow up in an era where Aquaman was a figure of mockery and derision. As such, the biggest advantage that Warner Bros. has in terms of making the big-screen variation of Aquaman relevant to today’s moviegoers is that the kids of today already expect Aquaman to be cool.

To me it looks like Snyder is going for the trying-to-hard 90s version of Aquaman, which I have a certain fondness for, but over the last several years (namely since his return during the Blackest Night/Brightest Day event) Aquaman has really come a long way since his Super Friends days. Most people invested in comics see Arthur Curry as a great hero and if I'm not mistaken, he's had one of the best selling DC comics in recent history. This just comes off as an attempt to justify him as a serious character in a world that still has misconceptions, which is unfortunate.

This definitely doesn't help my skepticism for the Batman vs. Superman (can we drop this and just call it "Dawn of Justice" yet?).

Delta Phi said:
In case anyone hasn't seen this yet.

Aquaman-Jason-Momoa-1.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/02/20/jason-momoas-aquaman-is-appropriately-outrageous/

The article touches on some of my thoughts.

To me it looks like Snyder is going for the trying-to-hard 90s version of Aquaman, which I have a certain fondness for, but over the last several years (namely since his return during the Blackest Night/Brightest Day event) Aquaman has really come a long way since his Super Friends days. Most people invested in comics see Arthur Curry as a great hero and if I'm not mistaken, he's had one of the best selling DC comics in recent history. This just comes off as an attempt to justify him as a serious character in a world that still has misconceptions, which is unfortunate.

This definitely doesn't help my skepticism for the Batman vs. Superman (can we drop this and just call it "Dawn of Justice" yet?).

I can't help but wonder if every notable dc character will be dark and brooding. A sort of "nolanfied" Justice league. Perhaps we can get the cast to talk in a deep voice and sound intense every single scene?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
A geat week for leaks: http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/full-batman-vs-superman-trailer-leaks-online

Favorite comment: "Its so dark, might need a flashlight to watch the movie." Hopefully that's exacerbated by the bootleg trailer.

Speaking of the tone of DC's films kind of darkly sucking (I'm surprised they're not all wearing black leather), I can't wait to see these two famous super villains go at it! BATVOICE OMEGA!!

Liked it more on second viewing though, the best part was Alfred's speech, the cowl seemingly mirroring Bruce's "cruelty," and the Batman shot at 1:44. Worst part was the shot after on the skyscraper that looks like it's right out of Batman Begins. Also, while Affleck looks like the animated series Bruce Wayne come to life, he's nothing like the DKR version, so either don't do that representation, or don't cast him for it. It's just so weird for Synder to so clearly want to ape that rightvdown to the costumes and plotvpoints but and then randomly cast Affleck because he's a name. Or, maybe he was just trying to compensate after the backlash? He certainly doesn't look like an older Batman, but a good looking Batman nonetheless. Can't really tell if he can pull it off from that though (if that's his voice the whole time, clearly not, but I think that's with a face mask over his mouth). Also, the Portuguese language title is way better. Someone should tell the prodcuers that Batman v. Superman doesn't make any sense in English either unless they're litigating.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
A geat week for leaks: http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/full-batman-vs-superman-trailer-leaks-online

Can this movie swap threads with Star Wars? Because unlike that diluted world, this actually got me excited when it had no right to in the first place.
Surprisingly effective.

Saw the leak. Griffith, I'm wondering if that shot of Affleck/Wayne is possibly a shot of him when he was younger in the story. Doubtful, but it's a slight possibility.

I was more on board for this before I knew a slew of other superheroes would be shoehorned in.

THAT Nolan-esque shot of Batman was absolutely shameful. Made me think I was watching a fan-made trailer at first.

I'm with Nighty, movies to look forward to! Can't help but be extremely excited to see this, again, because of what Batman says in the end and how he says it. I was telling a co-worker that someone ought to do Batman's voice with pure wet gutteral vocals.

It's one of those movies for me that I kinda wish weren't made but I'm going to go watch it anyway. I don't like Snyder. I enjoyed Man Of Steel with it's plot holes and bad acting moments and all that, the pure brutal action was cool to see because that's how I'd picture Superman to fight. In this movie, I hope he keeps the same tone. I'd be disappointed if the death toll isn't in the thousands or hundreds of thousands :farnese:

NightCrawler

IncantatioN said:
I'm with Nighty, movies to look forward to! Can't help but be extremely excited to see this, again, because of what Batman says in the end and how he says it. I was telling a co-worker that someone ought to do Batman's voice with pure wet gutteral vocals.

I like his voice, and the way Affleck looks, he's imposing. For once since the original, Batman looks frightening (Keaton could only do so much with his figure, but he's still the best Batman). Bale, although a great actor, was terribly disappointing and overshadowed by pretty much everyone else in that trilogy. Also, Irons sounds awesome, he has that snarky vibe that hopefully will give an edge to his portrayal of Alfred.
I don't mind the Nolan-esque shot, Snyder is ok, i doubt he'll do much worse than Nolan. But most of his trailers are great, so i'm not keeping my hopes up for the final product.

I'm not that surprised that everyone is shitting on this trailer, gritty ain't whats popular these days in comic movies, but it's a necessary contrast to what Marvel is doing.

This trailer got me excited and probably for nothing. :troll: Snyder loves to make cinematic versions of stories and change them enough for me to vomit. The only one I loved was watchmen. If you're gonna copy and paste the dark knight returns, great, but this will probably be a movie that leaves me wanting much more than I will get. I hope I'm wrong. That trailer though... :ubik:

Griffith

Bootleg presentation, random vague news dialogue, bad cgi Superman statue, shot of Affleck looking serious, bad cgi looking Batsuit, random Jeremy Irons dialogue, dark Batman skulking, Nolan-esque Batman on a high rise, random Nolan-esque Batvehecles and stuff blowing up for no reason, and almost no onscreen interaction between the principles; are we sure this really isn't a fan trailer? Seriously, could you not be convinced that this was an excellent fake? Grading on a curve, I think some of the fan trailers I saw were better. Someone check to see if Peter Weller doesnt say that Batman line in TDKR. =)

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
BvS looks great. Not sure why it's in this thread.

Because minus Batgoggles it looks like nothing special so far and its hot mess potential hasn't even been tapped yet. The main counterargumemt I've seen is "but it's Batman and Superman; this is cinematic history!" Well, so was Alien vs Predator, and if you've got the two biggest comic book properties in the same movie in the cinematic era of comic book movies, it should probably look more exciting than this. And I don't trust Snyder to do anything deeper than a good spectacle (so it better be one). I will say that I like that they're actually doing something interesting with Superman here, but the strength of the trailer was the focus on the reaction to him, particularly Batman's obviously, so how will they maintain that focus when all the other bullshit with the super friends and villains come into play? I'm actually still excited for it because I do expect unprecedented Batman/Superman/superhero onscreen visuals, plus Jeremy Irons, but for the movie's sake I'm not expecting much more than that

Also, I think I was the last to post in the "look forward to" thread at the time and there's already precedent in here with the WWF attitude era Aquaman. Batman is going to crush Superman's candy ass and then crush some beers on top of the ring posts while America cheers. You get that illegal alien terrorist, Batman! :guts:

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
Bootleg presentation, random vague news dialogue, bad cgi Superman statue, shot of Affleck looking serious, bad cgi looking Batsuit, random Jeremy Irons dialogue, dark Batman skulking, Nolan-esque Batman on a high rise, random Nolan-esque Batvehecles and stuff blowing up for no reason, and almost no onscreen interaction between the principles; are we sure this really isn't a fan trailer? Seriously, could you not be convinced that this was an excellent fake? Grading on a curve, I think some of the fan trailers I saw were better. Someone check to see if Peter Weller doesnt say that Batman line in TDKR. =)

Bad cgi? Meh, i can't really tell with the quality. I prefer trailers that don't show much anyway. I liked the random dialogue.

The new Star Wars trailer reuses a line from ROTJ, it's 90% cgi, and no one's complaining.

I say the potential of both movies being shit is more or less the same.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Bad cgi? Meh, i can't really tell with the quality. I prefer trailers that don't show much anyway. I liked the random dialogue.

Granted, it wasn't bad random dialogue.

The new Star Wars trailer reuses a line from ROTJ, it's 90% cgi, and no one's complaining.

Yeah, but it's what they used and how that's effective, and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and so far all the parts look good (maybe because they're not showing too much of the olds =). Notice it effectively features more than two characters as well.

I say the potential of both movies being shit is more or less the same.

I'll take those odds, doing Star Wars right on screen might actually be easier and with more of a set template, but I'd take Ep. VII anyway based on the directors alone. For better or worse, JJ is like the quiet kid drawing space opera doodles on his desk with visions of Spielberg dancing in his head; Snyder is preening in front of the class about the video of Mortal Kombat fatalities he recorded off his Sega Genesis (he has the VHS in his backpack if you want to see). Both movies may ultimately be brainless, but at least Abrams' won't be heartless.

Here's the real deal in HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfUnkBfdZ4

Some things look better (not so dark), some worse for it (the Fatsuit among them, unfortunately), and I'm still unmoved by all the nothing going on.

Griffith said:
Some things look better (not so dark), some worse for it (the Fatsuit among them, unfortunately), and I'm still unmoved by all the nothing going on.
Honestly, i like it. I also like Ben as Batman, i think he will be great. The only thing that still bugs me is Jesse Eisenberg, i like him as an actor, but i want to see him acting as Lex to form an opinion.

Griffith

Joe Chip said:
Honestly, i like it.

I just don't see what's to like yet, there's not a lot to it, but given the director's track record I'm not assuming the best.

Joe Chip said:
I also like Ben as Batman, i think he will be great.

Affleck was the best part of it actually, as Wayne and Batman. I even liked his robat-voice delivery. Let's see how he handles it overall though, he's not the most charismatic actor and by the end I wasn't exactly buying his pursed lips in that armor. Speaking of which, let's discuss Batmen...

NightCrawler said:
I like his voice, and the way Affleck looks, he's imposing. For once since the original, Batman looks frightening (Keaton could only do so much with his figure, but he's still the best Batman).

Agreed on both counts, and in case there's any doubt about the latter:

batman-wings.jpg

Batman-1989-batman-2686914-1024-576.jpg

Sometimes the guy looks like an Alex Ross painting come to life. It's not just the look either, he played the part perfectly; strange, intense, and vindictive (God, when he smiles...). Nobody else, including Bale's idealized boy scout, can compare. Look how he embodies the character without words, though he has the best live action Batvoice too, in the first minute of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbyGEKKlaKo

I've said it before, but if Birdman had already hit does anyone think they would have considered him for a one-off as mean old DKR Bats? Should've. =)

Joe Chip said:
The only thing that still bugs me is Jesse Eisenberg, i like him as an actor, but i want to see him acting as Lex to form an opinion.

Well, we might be hearing him talk some Super trash in that opening voice montage. I'm no more or less skeptical of him than anybody else in the production.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I like his voice, and the way Affleck looks, he's imposing.

The standard suit shot looks good, but the power suit? Not so much IMHO. Not saying Affleck will ruin it but I think it's too early to judge how it'll work out.

NightCrawler said:
I'm not that surprised that everyone is shitting on this trailer, gritty ain't whats popular these days in comic movies, but it's a necessary contrast to what Marvel is doing.

Oh come on, are you really playing that card? People don't like grit anymore? I think we're all just wary of how Snyder's going to make this work.

Top Bottom