Movies to dread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I am speechless.

Yeah, my somewhat distant take doesn't really do justice how incredible it is. It's like Snyder turned the three biggest characters in DC, including the two most famous comic superheroes of all time, into their misfit Watchmen counterparts (not to mention whatever Lex Luthor is supposed to be). Is this a satire?

I can't wait to see sophisticated yet loyal fans stifle their gags as they dutifully inhale the noxious fart smell of this and just nod along stoically, while those that don't know any better dig in with both hands and eat this shit up, "BEST MOVIE EVER MY DREAM CUM TRUE!" It's going to be like a Tim & Eric Cinco ad; nightmare television, but in real life. :ganishka:

There, that's better.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Looks worse than I thought

It's a fucking disaster man, they're insane. They're beyond appealing to the lowest common denominator with this; it feels like they're going for the direct-to-video fans. Wow.

Griffith said:
what the Hell is Eisenberg doing?

I believe he's mistakenly playing Igor from Frankenstein.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
It's a fucking disaster man, they're insane. They're beyond appealing to the lowest common denominator with this; it feels like they're going for the direct-to-video fans. Wow.

Loling, I'm glad to see an unvarnished take on this; it's like the Internet is walking on eggshells, "So that was interesting, a lot to unpack, uhhhh, let's wait and seeeee?" :ganishka: Like we didn't see enough already; it was shockingly bad. That's coming from somebody that already didn't like Man of Steel and had low expectations, but this trailer completely surpassed them. It looks... incompetent. I didn't expect that.

Aazealh said:
I believe he's mistakenly playing Igor from Frankenstein.

Normal, or Young Frankenstein? It took an Abby Normal mind to come up with this.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
So the first teaser was all super serious Nolan-esque and now they throw this curve ball at us? When did this become campy? I guess the title was goofy to begin with.
This is a movie sold around the fact that Batman and Superman are going to fight. That trailer shows us the exact moment when they decide to not fight anymore. :ganishka:
Also judging by the trailer, Eisenberg's performance (he's playing The Riddler right?) will be jarring, wacky, annoying, and completely out of place. In any case, he looks more fun to watch than all the characters in Man of Steel combined, so he's got that going for him.
Between this and Suicide Squad, you have to give them (DC) some points for audacity. It's a shitstorm, but hopefully it will be of glorious proportions.

The last exchange when WW shows up has Affleck and Cavill doing their best Larry David impression.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
So the first teaser was all super serious Nolan-esque and now they throw this curve ball at us? When did this become campy? I guess the title was goofy to begin with.

What the Hell, right? First it's an overreaching allegory for 9/11 and a timely bit on nativism with Superman and Batman fighting with the gravity of WWII (literally it looks like), and now it's Batman Forever!

NightCrawler said:
This is a movie sold around the fact that Batman and Superman are going to fight. That trailer shows us the exact moment when they decide to not fight anymore. :ganishka:

Yeah, the air is already out of the balloon with no way to put it back, and after all that "You'll bleed" and "I'm gonna make you a real man" stuff. Then Doomatello and Diana O'Neal show up and it's, "DUUUUR IT'S A GURRLL, SHE WITH U!?" Cue laugh track.

NightCrawler said:
Also judging by the trailer, Eisenberg's performance (he's playing The Riddler right?) will be jarring, wacky, annoying, and completely out of place. In any case, he looks more fun to watch than all the characters in Man of Steel combined, so he's got that going for him.
Between this and Suicide Squad, you have to give them (DC) some points for audacity. It's a shitstorm, but hopefully it will be of glorious proportions.

I'm with you on Lex Loser, at first I thought the whole Facebook Luthor was more trendy bullshit, but now it's clear Eisenberg just doesn't know what he's doing here or gives a fuck and its mesmerizing. What's more amazing is that Suicide Squad is the more intriguing prospect at this point!! And that new Joker suddenly seems like a loving tribute to the character.

NightCrawler said:
The last exchange when WW shows up has Affleck and Cavill doing their best Larry David impression.

I'm hoping that will come after their testy exchange at the party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SmoBvg-etU

Griffith

IncantatioN said:

"When something bad happens, you want to be with the turtles!"

Well, it certainly checks both those boxes. :ganishka:

My first reaction was that was fast (really taking their time, huh?), but as bad as it looks I can't say I really care since it also looks plainly aimed for kids. It's not even pretending to be something more. Or, to put it another way, the BvS trailer is still worse. =)

Also, I couldn't help but laugh at Tyler Perry as, I assume, Baxter Stockman.

IncantatioN said:
Final Batman vs Superman trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRjWvVQz-NI

There's more Batman in this trailer than Supes.
I honestly feel like I've watched the entire movie through all the trailers !

One of Snyder's future projects is adapting The Fountainhead :magni:

Revealed in an interview for BvS

Given all your involvements, do you have time to develop anything outside of this?

ZACK: We have The Last Photograph that I've been working on for a long time. It's a small, sort of weird project about a war photogra­pher in Afghanistan. I have been working on The Fountainhead. I've always felt like The Fountainhead was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something. Warner Bros. owns [Ayn Rand’s] script and I’ve just been working on that a little bit.

Griffith

Questions regarding violence and mayhem are drowned out by violence and mayhem. Such is the superhero life as directed by Zack Snyder. There is no problem that can't be solved with a cranium-rattling explosion or two.

The movie's not bad but it doubles down on its least-interesting and potent elements at the expense of those that actually work.

When it drags, it still looks good and offers hints of a better scene just around the corner.

Ultimately it satisfies fan cravings to see two of the world's most popular superheroes throw down.

Ponderous, but the tone and the cast hold our interest.

It so badly wants you to be excited for "Justice League" that it forgets to keep you excited about "Batman v Superman."

If Justice, with its sluggish script, isn't quite the jaw-dropping eye-popper it should be, that's okay. The cast is unimpeachable.

It hurtles not with the kinetic momentum of Mad Max: Fury Road nor the comparatively spry skip of a Marvel movie, but with an operatic grandeur it sometimes earns and often doesn't.

it doesn't feel like, as Lex pitches it, "the greatest gladiator battle in the history of the world".

The movie delivers and will please fans, even if you don't see it in 3D.

it's also cluttered and narratively wonky; a few jokes wouldn't have gone amiss, either.

All in all, job done, just about.

These are quotes from the blurbs of the POSITIVE reviews. :ganishka:

One more:

NightCrawler said:
Snyder is ok, i doubt he'll do much worse than Nolan.

Still think so? Last chance before we sample the "goods" ourselves! :guts:

I was keep my expectations low but still a bummer to hear this movie is a mess. I think Snyder is great at visuals but that's about it. It sounds like the movie, despite the source material and the eye candy, is boring.

I've seen people reviewing the film calling it DCs Aevengers but I don't think that's a fair comparison. Need to wait for Suicide Squd to throw down that gauntlet. My hype meter is somewhere around -4 for SS but here's to hoping to be pleasantly surprised l.

Griffith

I feel like the DC TV lineup is actually superior to their outdated movie model. It's like they're trying to make the greatest superhero movie ever... 15 years ago.

Counterpoint:

NightCrawler said:
I'm not that surprised that everyone is shitting on this trailer, gritty ain't whats popular these days in comic movies, but it's a necessary contrast to what Marvel is doing.

Isn't Marvel also doing that better on a format better suited for it with Netflix where you can actually support and earn that grit with some measure of depth (to be fair, Nolan did take the time to at least attempt this with Batman)? Otherwise, by comparison all blockbuster movies are good for these days is throwing money at the visuals (and even that gap is closing) of relatively lightweight entertainment.

BTW, sorry for engaging you in conversations where your side of it is almost a year old, please update. =)

Griffith

Fun rundown of the previous Batman and Superman films ranked by tomatometer rating:

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/batman-and-superman-movies-ranked-by-tomatometer/

So, according to this scale, Batman V Superman falls somewhere between Batman: Forever and Superman III. Well... I'm still excited! :troll:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Fun rundown of the previous Batman and Superman films ranked by tomatometer rating:

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/batman-and-superman-movies-ranked-by-tomatometer/

So, according to this scale, Batman V Superman falls somewhere between Batman: Forever and Superman III. Well... I'm still excited! :troll:

At this point it's all bandwagon reaction. Close friends who have seen it loved it, despite it straying away from the lore.

I know I'll enjoy it, just like I did Man of Steel. Just a shame people love to hate Snyder.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
At this point it's all bandwagon reaction. Close friends who have seen it loved it, despite it straying away from the lore.

I know I'll enjoy it, just like I did Man of Steel. Just a shame people love to hate Snyder.

There's no possibility it could just be a bad movie or that fans would in turn try to rationalize that away (it's not like you already declared you'll like it! =)? And I don't think the critics are just going with the flow at the expense of a film they actually know to be secretly good. It's not like they didn't give a fair shake to other comic book movies like The Dark Knight Trilogy, Avengers and the MCU really, X-Men, Deadpool, etc (or other pop genre fiction like Star Wars for that matter, which was welcomed with open arms). Was the new Fantastic 4 unfairly tarnished or was it just bad? It's not like this film is immune to that because Batman and Superman are in it. Anyway, here's hoping it's just a worse Age of Ultron (overly long, complicated, launching pad for other movies with some redeeming characters and elements), and not a modern Batman & RobinSuperman.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
There's no possibility it could just be a bad movie or that fans would in turn try to rationalize that away (it's not like you already declared you'll like it! =)? And I don't think the critics are just going with the flow at the expense of a film they actually know to be secretly good. It's not like they didn't give a fair shake to other comic book movies like The Dark Knight Trilogy, Avengers and the MCU really, X-Men, Deadpool, etc (or other pop genre fiction like Star Wars for that matter, which was welcomed with open arms). Was the new Fantastic 4 unfairly tarnished or was it just bad? It's not like this film is immune to that because Batman and Superman are in it. Anyway, here's hoping it's just a worse Age of Ultron (overly long, complicated, launching pad for other movies with some redeeming characters and elements), and not a modern Batman & RobinSuperman.

I feel like I need to state this, albeit obvious: I'm going in for the visuals, not the story. Like I do every Snyder movie. I have enough good DC stories to keep me entertained. MoS was a super visceral movie, but they completely missed the mark on the character. It was an awesome movie, but a fucking shitshow of a Superman movie.

I have no doubts BvS is going to be the same way, aside from Affleck portraying Batman (apparently he's awesome, which doesn't surprise me since he's been a fan since he was a kid).

*edit*

Case in point on MoS being a shitshow of a Superman movie: http://news.yahoo.com/zack-snyder-why-isnt-star-wars-the-force-182100265.html?nf=1

The article basically sums up that Snyder has and never will get characters and their established history. I hope to whoever the fuck is listening that they take him off of Justice League.

Johnstantine said:
MoS was a super visceral movie, but they completely missed the mark on the character. It was an awesome movie, but a fucking shitshow of a Superman movie.

Johnstantine said:
Case in point on MoS being a shitshow of a Superman movie: http://news.yahoo.com/zack-snyder-why-isnt-star-wars-the-force-182100265.html?nf=1

The article basically sums up that Snyder has and never will get characters and their established history. I hope to whoever the fuck is listening that they take him off of Justice League.

I'm a huge fan of Superman, and I really like Man of Steel. I prefer the versions that stay closer to the spirit of the comics (such as the Smallville show), but I don't hate Snyder's version either. I admire Snyder for taking the tried and true Superman origin story and looking at it in a different, more "realistic" light.

I think a lot of the problems Superman fans have with the movie stems from misunderstanding. They misunderstand the intent of what happens in the movie as well as what the movie is showing them.

I'll use that (terrible) article's subject as an example. A lot of Superman fans didn't like MoS because Clark didn't run around saving every single person after Zod would throw him through a building. And they're right to be upset because that's something Superman would do. But here's the thing: At that point, Clark isn't Superman yet.

Superman is more than Clark wearing the outfit. Superman is Clark wearing an outfit as well as the ideals and standards and morals that he tries to represent (such as his no killing rule or the fact he tries to do everything he can to save everyone in every situation). In fact, that's one of, if not the biggest, questions that Clark works to answer throughout MoS: If and when I reveal myself to the world, what do I want to represent? What type of person or symbol do I want to be?

(Also keep in mind that Zod and company arrive literally within a couple of days at most of Clark finding the ship buried in the ice when he learned about his origins, met his "father," and found out what his father's purpose for him was. Think about that. Clark only knows that he's an alien with superhuman powers. Then he hears about the ship, finds out where he came from, who his parents were, and what their purpose for sending him there is. And then he figures out how to fly. And, relatively right after that, Zod arrives and forces Clark into the superhero role. Essentially Clark had to deal with Zod in Metropolis before he even officially started his first day on the job. So why would anyone assume Clark had already nailed down his purpose, what he represents, and how he wants to act in his role as superhero?)

What MoS really needs is a well-written sequel to elaborate upon (and conclude) what MoS was trying to tell us. Imagine if MoS II started out with Clark saving people from random accidents and crimes. At the same time he's struggling internally. He's haunted by what happened in Metropolis, the lives lost in Zod's attack as well as being forced to kill Zod. As the movie progresses towards the halfway point, Clark decides "no more" and this crystallizes into Clark's conviction that never again will he kill nor will he allow innocent people to die. He'll do whatever it takes to save lives even if it's at his own cost. Wouldn't that make you look at Clark killing Zod in MoS differently? Wouldn't that make you say "ah, that's why that happened!"?

If that were to happen I think Superman fans would look back more favorably upon MoS. I'm not saying it'd be a great film then (it's not), but I don't think everyone would hate it just for the sake of hating it like they do now. (It's not that bad of a film.) Unfortunately Batman Versus Superman is Man of Steel II so any chance of that happening is gone. Oh well. :ganishka:

Griffith

All nicely said, Skeleton, that's a credibly rehabilitating interpretation of MoS, which indeed isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and could've even been redeemed by some creative stortelling like that. It's just too bad you're not the one in charge of shepherding along the DCCU, because Snyder and Goyer are and, as you alluded to, we unfortunately have the proof they don't understand or subscribe to this literally and figuratively redemptive interpretation because their Superman is just as much the potential circumstantial killer in BvS as in MoS. Moreso, actually
the guy was going to straight up murder Batman if he couldn't convince him to help, which he did an awful job attempting, rather than using that time to easilly locate his mother with super vision and hearing? It was so ridiculous how he just took Luthor's gambit at face value and gave in immediately.
I thought it was one of the more glaringly awful parts of the movie.

Also, nothing about Man of Steel says anything about the nature of Superman better than this scene by itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUUGDRxJnFU

Skeleton said:
It doesn't look like it's going to be as good as the original, but I don't think it looks completely unwatchable either. (To be honest I liked
the "closet scene."
) I'll give it a shot when it comes out on Netflix or next to nothing on DVD.

So that Poltergeist remake came out on DVD for next to nothing. There were a few DVDs I really wanted to watch (one with both the Purge and Purge 2 on it, one with Godzilla and Pacific Rim, and Annabelle), but I chose Poltergeist because I promised myself I'd give it a shot.

I just finished watching it.

Now I haven't seen any of those other films, but there's no way in hell they could have been any worse than this one. This remake was absolutely terrible. The CGI, acting, characters, dialogue, and directing were complete shit. There wasn't really anything good about it.

And the best part? You know that closet scene I liked in the trailer? They cut it out of the fucking movie. Instead the girl's grabbed by some bad CGI hands.

I don't know. I'm probably being a bit too harsh, but this is the first time in a very long time that I immediately regretted wasting my money on a film after finishing it.

I should have gotten Annabelle.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skeleton said:
I should have gotten Annabelle.

Not sure that one's all that good either to be honest... And I wasn't a fan of the new Godzilla, nor of Pacific Rim (the two movies I saw from your list).

Top Bottom