AP IMPACT: Freedom looms for terrorist

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_re_us/mystery_terrorist

Al-Jawary is scheduled to be released Feb. 19 after completing only about half his term, including time served prior to his sentencing and credit for good behavior, according to the federal Bureau of Prisons.

Once he's released, Al-Jawary will be handed over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and held until his deportation.

It remains unclear where he'll go, largely because Al-Jawary's true identity remains in question — even to this day.

Those who helped put Al-Jawary behind bars believe he'll pick up where he left off.

"What is he going to do when he gets out?" McTigue said. "He'll be deported and received as a hero and go right back into his terrorist activities. He's had years to think about nothing else but causing havoc and destruction."

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Bekul said:
I dunno. Has he ever once been charged or convicted of any crime whatsoever?
This is what I found in the article
[quote author=Yahoo News AP IMPACT Freedom looms for terrorist ]

In 1977 the family moved to Beirut, where Al-Jawary claims he worked as a teacher. Five years later, Al-Jawary left Lebanon, choosing to start a new life in Nicosia, Cyprus, where he operated a legitimate business importing electronic equipment from Japan and exporting it to various Middle Eastern countries. The store folded in a couple of years, according to his version. At some point, he became the PLO's cultural attache. A Brooklyn jury didn't buy any of this. It took about three hours for the jury to convict Al-Jawary in 1993 — just days after the first attack on the World Trade Center — based on evidence that included his fingerprints on one of the bombs. Judge Jack B. Weinstein sentenced Al-Jawary to 30 years in prison on April 16, 1993. Weinstein later rejected his pleas for mercy in a written opinion issued after the trial, saying the bombs would have "killed and maimed hundreds, caused large fires and terrorized thousands of people." Al-Jawary, the judge wrote, was a serious threat. "It is highly likely that were this defendant released he would continue his dangerous terrorist activities," the judge said. Since his conviction, many top Palestinian officials have written to the judge on Al-Jawary's behalf, seeking his release. There's even a death certificate in court files along with witnesses claiming Al-Jawary was killed by Israeli shelling in 1988.[/quote]

Top Bottom