Griffith's dream (no, not that one)

einherjar

The Glorious Dead
In volume 10, while Griffith is in his cell, he has a sort of "waking dream" about Guts. The exact wording escapes me at the moment, but he refers to Guts as "the one who made me forget my dream" or something to that effect. Griffith echoes those words just before he agrees to make the sacrifice. I was curious as to what the meaning behind the vision might be. Any thoughts?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
einherjar said:
In volume 10, while Griffith is in his cell, he has a sort of "waking dream" about Guts. The exact wording escapes me at the moment, but he refers to Guts as "the one who made me forget my dream" or something to that effect. Griffith echoes those words just before he agrees to make the sacrifice. I was curious as to what the meaning behind the vision might be. Any thoughts?

Griffith's dream was always his first priority in life. He made tons of sacrifices for it and refused to let anything (including his own feelings) get in the way of its completion. He wouldn't consider his comrades as friends, wouldn't allow himself to care about his men dying, or would force himself to sleep with Gennon for money. He tried to be as cold hearted and rational as possible in order to achieve his impossible ambition.

But over time, he grew so attached to (and/or dependent on) Guts that he couldn't just not care about him leaving the Band of the Falcon when the time came. So he did all he could to prevent it (even if that meant killing him), but failed. His defeat at Guts' hands was a crushing moment for him, and it led to an impulsive meeting with Charlotte that got him imprisoned, sending his dream crashing down. He blamed Guts for it.

He personalized with Guts. I think thats the big difference.

For example, you don't personalize with something your going to kill. As soon as you personalize with the enemy it becomes murder, because instead of seeing them as one lone entity blocking your path to whatever goal you have, you get to know them. Then you think about their family that would be left behind, etc. and killing them becomes harder. Emagine if you where in Guts position the night he slew over a 100 men single handedly (when he killed Samson). Emagine if you personalized with each mercinary there. Then after learning about all their life troubles, about their families, hopes and dreams, you have to suddenly kill every single one of them in a fairly gruesome manner.

Not the same exact between Griffith and Guts, but simular. Griffith was intrigued by Guts, and personalized with him to a level he never had with any other Hawk commander. He then began to rely heavily on Guts, also more than any other Hawk commander. The trust he put into Guts. In some scenes it apeared as if the two where best friends.

As for Griffith's dreams while in prison, I believe that one of the God Hand was manipulating his dreams. Not into lies, but into points of views that would benifit their cause, making his visions bias in their favor. At least I think so. Some one might want to check into that one and compare notes or something.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Beings_Mythos said:
The trust he put into Guts. In some scenes it apeared as if the two where best friends.

I guess you forgot about the talk he had with Princess Charlotte where Griffith stated that a friend it was someone equal to him, that would do anything for his own dream.

I remember it, and I also said "APEARED". Don't mistake my tone, i'm not being snappy, moody, or offended in any way. I'm just putting emphasis on "apeared". Griffith let a bond arise between him and Guts. Even the other Berserk characters saw it (well at least Casca and Corkus). This unusual bond that he let form is what he let take himself down in the end. These are just observations and opinions anyways.

I'm also aware that the scene you talk about lead Guts to his descision to leave The Hawks.

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
einherjar said:
I think I was trying to read more into it than that. I guess sometimes things are exactly what they seem.
But that our jobs as fans and to exchange opinions and views on the mater

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bunnet said:
But that our jobs as fans and to exchange opinions and views on the mater
Not really. Our job as fans of any series is to appreciate the work, first and foremost. But here on a forum it's to exchange ideas that are hopefully well-thought out enough that they don't require many posts of correction and clarification to get further into discussion. :griffnotevil:

Top Bottom