Akuma=Zodd?

guyver5

What are you fighting for?
Hey, everyone

Someone on this board has Akuma for his picture, and I was struck at how similar he looks to Zodd. Also, they both are looking for the ultimate fight.

So, was one based on the other? Or are they both based on some mythical Japanese warrior God?

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
It's always been pretty clear to me they designed Gouki after Zoddo
but hell,I have no proof of that...But they're definitely the same kind
of character,in many ways.

The13thScroll

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Zodd and Akuma look like they could be long lost brothers almost.The character of Zodd existed before Akuma was introduced in the Street Fighter series, thats all I know. However I have no idea if Zodd and or Akuma are based off of Japanese mythology.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
well, in my opinion akuma looks a lot more humanoid than Zodd does.

but yet i agree, they are similar in some way... but it doesn't appear to me that their character was inspired by the same mythological figure.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
trapped_soul said:

but yet i agree, they are similar in some way... but it doesn't appear to me that their character was inspired by the same mythological figure.

Could you be more precise?

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Oltobaz said:
trapped_soul said:

I meant to ask which figures you had in mind.I suppose you associate Zodd to the minotaur,but does your post mean you actually have another figure in mind for Gouki,
and if so,which one?

Gael

Angry? i thought this is how every one smiles?
guyver5 said:
Hey, everyone

Someone on this board has Akuma for his picture, and I was struck at how similar he looks to Zodd. Also, they both are looking for the ultimate fight.

So, was one based on the other? Or are they both based on some mythical Japanese warrior God?

The Akuma, or Gouki, was a fighting spirit of evil, kinda like zodo eh?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Oltobaz said:
I meant to ask which figures you had in mind.I suppose you associate Zodd to the minotaur,but does your post mean you actually have another figure in mind for Gouki,
and if so,which one?
i don't think of any figure in particular. i am pretty sure miura was inspired by the minotaur and used it for zoddo. as for akuma i have no idea, but as i said it's definitely not likely he was inspired by the same figure, since akuma looks much more human than zoddo does.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I see a large number of animals in Zodd's character design. A bear, a tiger, a bat, a bull... He's just an all around monster.

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
Walter said:
I see a large number of animals in Zodd's character design. A bear, a tiger, a bat, a bull... He's just an all around monster.
i wonder what his weakness is if he has one!? :-\

DemonEyesKyo

Put your glasses on, nothing will be wrong........
I agree akuma looks incredibly like zodd. And it would not surprise me that the folks at capcom went along with zodds look. But i think there has to be a mythological character in japanese history to base these characters looks off of.

man_zodd.jpg
akuma.jpg

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Gael said:
guyver5 said:
Hey, everyone

The Akuma, or Gouki, was a fighting spirit of evil, kinda like zodo eh?

I would like to point out that in the Japanese Street Fighters, Gouki is still human, he has just forsaken everything for the fight. He's not outright evil, he is just without compassion, but he doesn't possess malice either.

Hmm, sounds quite like Zodd.

Top Bottom