Trying to trick me with a fake bill

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Some middle-aged woman tried to get change with a fake $50 dollars bill. I put my training to work, and used the marker on the bill and a flashlight to check for the hidden denotations in the bill. And so it was not totally a fake, but it was a five dollar bill turned into a 50.

sdc10531gj8.jpg

X

Xem

Sucks for her, it's not totally unlikely that she had gotten it from somewhere/one else and didn't know either.

I watched a documentary of sorts a while back on TV, where this guy made all of his own money by hand drawing it. He would tell vendors that he drew the money himself and what's funny is they'd usually take it anyway! I guess it's not illegal to use it as long as the person receiving it knows its fake.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deci said:
Sucks for her, it's not totally unlikely that she had gotten it from somewhere/one else and didn't know either.

I was thinking the same thing. When I worked retail I would check the fifties for watermarks, even then I wasn't exactly sure how to catch a really good fake. IF it was that good, I don't think anyone would care.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Deci said:

I watched a documentary of sorts a while back on TV, where this guy made all of his own money by hand drawing it. He would tell vendors that he drew the money himself and what's funny is they'd usually take it anyway! I guess it's not illegal to use it as long as the person receiving it knows its fake.

Oh she knew it was fake, she had her bike outside and I told her to bring it inside. She answered, saying that she had alot of bags and it was cumbersome to bring it in. I looked outside, since I am close to the window that shows the street and her bike was empty. After, I told her it was fake and I wasn't giving it back, she just froze for a moment and her eyes went wide and said she just sold something to some guy. I didn't buy it, since she always comes here just to buy beer, and sometimes barely making it with pocket change. About three months ago a pair of women came and try the samething with a 100 dollar bill. I confiscated it and also made a bogus story, I transferred the video to my computer and then showed it to my mom. I showed it to her, because she had a yard sale and mentioned that some woman gave her a fake 50. When she saw the video, she recognized the woman. This two incidents carried different methods of acquiring "real" money. The first one, tried to buy about $15.00 worth of junk food. The second one was just trying to get change, but in a hurry. I took my time and hit the jackpot with the fakes.

Deci, I think is still illegal to use it, because you are copying designs from the government. I am not an expert on mints and currency, so I am mostly speculating.

S

smoke

It's weird to me that she converted a five into a fifty instead of just making a straight up fake.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
smoke said:
It's weird to me that she converted a five into a fifty instead of just making a straight up fake.

Sometimes, you can trick most people if they don't pay attention, since the watermarks are still there from the five dollar bill. But it didn't fool me this time.

X

Xem

Th3Branded0ne said:
Oh she knew it was fake, she had her bike outside and I told her to bring it inside. She answered, saying that she had alot of bags and it was cumbersome to bring it in. I looked outside, since I am close to the window that shows the street and her bike was empty. After, I told her it was fake and I wasn't giving it back, she just froze for a moment and her eyes went wide and said she just sold something to some guy. I didn't buy it, since she always comes here just to buy beer, and sometimes barely making it with pocket change. About three months ago a pair of women came and try the samething with a 100 dollar bill. I confiscated it and also made a bogus story, I transferred the video to my computer and then showed it to my mom. I showed it to her, because she had a yard sale and mentioned that some woman gave her a fake 50. When she saw the video, she recognized the woman. This two incidents carried different methods of acquiring "real" money. The first one, tried to buy about $15.00 worth of junk food. The second one was just trying to get change, but in a hurry. I took my time and hit the jackpot with the fakes.

Deci, I think is still illegal to use it, because you are copying designs from the government. I am not an expert on mints and currency, so I am mostly speculating.

Well in the documentary I watched the guy would walk up to a vendor (usually a street vendor, if not always), and say, "Hey see this 20 dollar bill? Does it look real?" - "Ummm what... yeah." - "Well I drew this totally by hand. Anyway, I'd like to give it to you for 5 hotdogs and 2 hamburgers." - "Wow, that's really impressive! Sure why not!" He would actually explain the process he went through to make it look totally legit, and somehow prove that he drew it himself... I think he even put his signature on it in some obscure way.

So in a way it was like trading artwork for food. Tradeskill for tradeskill. I don't think that's illegal, but maybe you're right about the copying government designs thing... but I'm not so sure.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I think artwork copying money has to be different in scale or have some obviously altered element that denounced it authenticity. Barter trading is still legal in the US an I think for the first two in a year you don't need to pay any taxes on it, but as it is government regulated it would still be a copyright violation, if not an outright counterfeit charge.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly it sounds like an obvious trick and I'm pretty sure depending on the judge, state and court it was held in the guy could either get a slap on the hand or face serious charges. Risky behavior in any case.

Top Bottom