Forum News & Updates

Should we keep it sectionalized in child boards, or just have one big bulletin board?

• Child Boards

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • One Board

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The Vagabond Inn is being revamped, here's your chance to take part and have a little ownership over it. First of all, what do you like and what don't you? Do the different sections serve any purpose other then to hide posts, or does it actually make you think, "I should post about characters in the Water Board, good idea." So far, past signs point to "no". =) My big thing here is whether to keep the child boards or just go for a simplified single board where everything goes and it's all right on front street where it can grab your attention, with current or important topics being held up with stickies. At the moment, this idea is appealing to me, and I'm already beginning to experiment, so let me know what you think or if there's some factors I'm not considering.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or posts would be appreciated as well. The posts are the life, and this is all an effort to jump start the Inn and get it to a place where it's engines are revving a little higher. I'm basically giving permission to spam this board to spurn discussion no matter how unfamiliar you are with Vagabond, you need only be curious and have an opinion. Tell your friends. =)

Re: Vagabond Inn Renovation

Hmmm, well I have sk.net bookmarked at http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?action=unread , which sort of puts /everything/ into a single page (just new posts), which I find really aids with quickly scanning what's new instead of clicking around. I'd say - less time clicking, more time posting! (meaningful and relevant material!)

Griffith

The people have spoken, the slew of child boards are gone and the threads are now free to roam. The Inn is still very much under construction though, so keep your ideas flowing.

More to come, I promise.
mushi.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I'm glad you came to a decision on it. The new direction the Inn is taking really necessitates a more active, streamlined appearance I think.

However, after looking at the new setup, I do think one child board is needed for new episode discussion. Anyone else?

Griffith

Walter said:
However, after looking at the new setup, I do think one child board is needed for new episode discussion. Anyone else?

I'm definitely keeping one child board, as of now it's the loosely defined Lobby, which I'm thinking will develop into this board's site & forum news and just a general Vagabond info center separate from fluid discussion threads, something I think we need for the sake of interest ("don't know Vagabond? check out the info center, FAQ, etc"). Originally (well, for a few hours last night =), the Water Board was the sole holdover with all the episode threads. My issue there was the same as with all the child boards, it put the discussion one more step away from people, and needlessly separated it from the rest of the overall dialogue. I feel like keeping them "archived" like that sort of discourages posting in them once they're "old" (you know, after a week =), and I wanted to try it with them included in the general body, hopefully redefining how they work so maybe folks will keep posting in them after the fact for episode specific events. Anyway, in the old episode threads, under the old "one board" system, people actually posted in the threads, now the norm is 0-3 replies (I notice as I make most of them =), so I'm waiting to see if this can't reverse that trend or start something. So, in my mind, the need for episode specific threads at all on this board is more in question right now than a whole section devoted to them. Also, I'm taking more of an "as needed" approach, like if after a time the need really develops, we'll move on it (so no "Drawing With Water" Vagabond fanart child board because the name sounds cool, though I'm tempted =).
In the meantime, we'll go with the flow.
mushi.gif

UPDATE:

Well, I finally did something useful with that one child board, it's now the Vagabond Inn Information Center! Still a work in progress, including the name (other possibilities include "Vagabond Inn Information Desk" "Vagabond Inn Library", "Directory" etc.). Anyway, very basic right now, I just dumped the info here to get a working model going. Let me know what you think, right now it's mostly made up of information collected from the Viz Volumes, something I think Viz should showcase themselves on an official Vagabond website, though the Inn is happy to host and promote that information for them in the meantime. What wasn't from Viz in the volumes section was some painstaking work from Walter going through the volumes getting all the individual episode titles as well as the publication dates, so thanks Wally. It's supposed to be a nice little place to inform on and promote all things Vagabond. Let me know how it looks so far, and feel free to make suggestions, should certain things be put together? Should certain information be broken up and separated? What else would you like to see.

Some things in the pipelines is the inclusion of larger the volume cover images (thanks to Uriel for already providing some of the JP covers), more merchandise info such as statues and shirts, more links to purchase those items and the series besides my sig, and perhaps a more advanced way to organize and index the various information and sections.

More to come, but in the meantime, let me know how it looks.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

It looks great, and it's quite a comprehensive list you've assembled here. I'd say even moreso than the information we have in a similar section for the Berserk Encyclopedia. :isidro:

While looking through all this, I was thinking a character section with a brief description of each named character (ideally listed in either alphabetical or even order of appearance) would be extremely useful. Just this morning, I couldn't recall Ogawa's name and ended up looking like an idiot by calling him "what's his face." The character section could have saved me from that embarrassing episode :azan:

The guys who do Vagabond's wikipedia entry have an exhaustive character list, but it's too detailed and nuanced to be of any real use. It's like trying to read Ulysses. I think a 1-2 line description, similar to the entries in the Berserk Encyclopedia glossary, would be far more useful for our purposes.

Griffith

Walter said:
It looks great, and it's quite a comprehensive list you've assembled here. I'd say even moreso than the information we have in a similar section for the Berserk Encyclopedia. :isidro:

Haha, well, you're part of it is the heart of it, and really the only real original work that wasn't cut and paste besides the covers/formatting BS.

Walter said:
While looking through all this, I was thinking a character section with a brief description of each named character (ideally listed in either alphabetical or even order of appearance) would be extremely useful. Just this morning, I couldn't recall Ogawa's name and ended up looking like an idiot by calling him "what's his face." The character section could have saved me from that embarrassing episode :azan:

Yeah, I know I use the Berserk encyc all the time to spell check on names and such. Plus, it's a little ridiculous that there's no mention of characters such as Otsu and Jotaro currently. =)

Walter said:
The guys who do Vagabond's wikipedia entry have an exhaustive character list, but it's too detailed and nuanced to be of any real use. It's like trying to read Ulysses. I think a 1-2 line description, similar to the entries in the Berserk Encyclopedia glossary, would be far more useful for our purposes.

It's definitely on the to do list, and thanks again for the help, past and future. Which reminds me, need an official credits/thank you section by the time it's about finished.

Griffith

New colors!

We're experimenting with some different colors with the Inn's theme, while maintaining the classic SK.net look. There'll probably be further alterations, but what do you guys think so far?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: New colors!

Lookin sharp so far. I think a darker green for the main background would complement the green in the 1st and 3rd post backgrounds though.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

Dunno, it's just a couple of shades of sepia tones... on the green side.. not sure how to remedy it, but if the masses like it, I'm 100% cool with it =)

Griffith

Uriel said:
Would I be cast out for saying I don't like it?

Nah, this is really thrown together. I literally just took a screen of the SK.net theme and added yellow variant in photoshop. I think it takes some getting used to (I like it more now than I did initially), and it was a way to do it easially without contrasting too much with the blues already present. But feel free to submit you're own, guys! I'm not married to it."

Update: How do do you like my "Inoue on the Web" theme? :guts:

I almost feel like petitioning to be their official message board. :ganishka:

http://www.itplanning.co.jp/what.html

inoueinn.jpg

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Update: How do do you like my "Inoue on the Web" theme? :guts:

I almost feel like petitioning to be their official message board. :ganishka:

You VagabondKleptomaniac jk. It does stand out with the other colors. How about it making it to grayscale to see the results. I just don't have any pic at the moment. But the pic does make it feel like an "inn". Another pic I thought about for the "inn" feel is when Musashi is taking a bath and Sekishusai's grandson is with him.

Griffith

CowTip said:
I sort of liked the blue better, but that's just me.

Which blue do you mean, the regular SK.net colors or the the greenish-blue one I had earlier? I think I prefer a lot to the green fiend I had up at first.

Th3Branded0ne said:
You VagabondKleptomaniac jk.

Haha, it's no joke, ripped it off banner and all. :guts:

Th3Branded0ne said:
It does stand out with the other colors. How about it making it to grayscale to see the results.

Actually, I really loved the bright colors in that banner, the green and the white look beautiful with these earth tones. I would have kept it if it wasn't such a direct copy of Inoue's site (though that's kind of what I want).

Th3Branded0ne said:
I just don't have any pic at the moment. But the pic does make it feel like an "inn". Another pic I thought about for the "inn" feel is when Musashi is taking a bath and Sekishusai's grandson is with him.

Well, I think the current theme fits the bill nicely. Though I really liked having the equivalent, at least appearance-wise, of an official itplanning Vagabond forum, and it just looked great, exactly what I envisioned for a Vagabond discussion board. If only we could get Inoue's blessing, because I'm really still considering it. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Wow, I woke up and everything has magically changed!

I think it's CLOSE to perfect now. New banner looks great. Now it's just got some fine tuning. The "reply" buttons on the main forum are white on the light-gray-gold background, so that should be changed to something with more contrast. Possibly just black text.

And we should probably change the rolling Schnoz picture in the box I'm typing this post in to something like In'ei and Sekishusai's ghosts :badbone:

X

Xem

Nice interior designing skills! I haven't started reading Vagabond but this is lookin' good! I agree with Walter about the Shnoz and the reply colors. I say hot pink!

edit: This is minor, but weird. If you click the banner at the top to get back to the Inn, then click the Skullknight.net index button, you remain with the Vagabond Inn title at the top of your browser for the rest of the SK.net forum... but only if you click the banner first. WEIIIIRD.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Deci said:
edit: This is minor, but weird. If you click the banner at the top to get back to the Inn, then click the Skullknight.net index button, you remain with the Vagabond Inn title at the top of your browser for the rest of the SK.net forum... but only if you click the banner first. WEIIIIRD.

I tried it, but I didn't get it. EDIT: my bad I tried it a second time, and I did get what you were mentioning.

Looking good so far in the remodeling. are you sure is up to code?? :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

That doesn't happen for me at all. I think that's your browser's cache fucking up or something. I tried it 4x.

X

Xem

I just cleared my cache and it's still doing it to me. My steps exactly are:

- Click Vagabond Inn

- Click a thread

- Click the top banner

- Click the far left Skullknight.net index link

- Vagabond Inn - Index remains as the title for the browser as well http://skullknight.net/vagabond/ remains in the URL area.

Maybe it's my browser? I'm using the latest version of Firefox.

EDIT: I think it's the http://skullknight.net/vagabond/ webpage that's doing it. I tried starting from Google and typed that in, then clicked the far left Skullknight.net index link and I got the same error.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Deci said:
- Click the far left Skullknight.net index link
The HOME button? I'm trying it exactly as you say, and it does not do that. Even tried the SKnet main tree link and it doesnt screw up either.

Top Bottom