Recommendations for Manga

sorry you don't like it as much...Idk I guess it just got to me because his gf Tae looks EXACTLY like my gf....so ever since she was introduced I stuck with the story. Needless to say I got real upset at that one part with her. I sort of put myself in the story as the lead character...sounds stupid and corny but whatever. I have my reasons :serpico:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yeah, Gantz isn't in the same league as Berserk. Not even close. I gave up on it when the vampires showed up.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I read the first volume of "Pluto" by Urasawa. It came out about two weeks ago. It's the same author behind "Monster" so far so good if you are into suspense thriller manga.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
If you like shonen, then I'd recommend One piece or a more obscure completed one called Shura no Mon (although I'm only half finished and can't find it anywhere). If seinen's your thing then besides Berserk then like me you should feel inclined to read Vagabond, because anything that references Musashi Miyamoto has got to be good.

Most of these have been mentioned already, but here are my suggestions:

Vagabond: Just simply awesome.
Battle Angel Alita (Gunnm): Action with a hint of philosophy in a dystopian future.
Trigun and Trigun Maximum (actually the same series, but the creator had to change magazines, hence the name change): Cool fights and wonderfully hectic at times. Not as light hearted as the anime, which is good.
GTO: Awesomely funny series full of hilarious references to pop culture, manga and video games.
Planetes: Tells a great story about exploring space in just five volumes (well, four, but the fourth has been divided into two).

You just can't go wrong with these! :badbone:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I'm gonna go ahead and put in my recommendations, but I'll be including some stuff that already was said:
Monster is my favorite manga/anime besides Berserk, and the anime version follows the manga exactly with maybe one or two minor differences
20th Century Boys, which is also by Monster's author and has live-action version that follows it nearly exactly :schnoz: no really I'm not kidding
Planetes is another great one that was already mentioned
GTO, again, already mentioned but still awesome
Shonen Junai Gumi which is the prequel to GTO
Golden Boy, which is probably the funniest anime/manga I've seen/read. If you watch the anime, get the dub for sure since it surpasses the original in my opinion.
Cromartie High, which is at least a close second to Golden Boy in terms of humor.
Welcome to the NHK is probably my third favorite anime/manga although I really didn't like the ending chapters of the manga. The original novel is also a pretty good read.

I know it's not manga, but I'd recomend "The Crow" series. It can be bought all in one book for about $15. It's a bit short, especially compared to 30+ volumes of Berserk, but it's great. It's different from the movie in a good kind of way.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Beings_Mythos said:
I know it's not manga, but I'd recomend "The Crow" series. It can be bought all in one book for about $15. It's a bit short, especially compared to 30+ volumes of Berserk, but it's great. It's different from the movie in a good kind of way.

If it not's manga then it's not for this "manga" thread. There is thread on reading in general, you could discuss it there :guts:

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
If anyone should still be interested in recommendations for good manga, i'd like to throw in one of my all time favs, Gintama.

It's basically a wonderful spoof manga. Lots of good (if not outrageous) humor, thrilling action (during the pure story arcs mostly) and brimming with colorful, charming characters. The general setting is a "what if" scenario of Earth (with old Edo, Japan as the primary location) being conquered by cranky aliens (Amanto) and our main character, Gintoki (former samurai who fought against the invaders), and his friends trying to make a living as freelancers in this twisted new environment.

The manga makes fun of lots of historic persons, events and even modern day media (technological/social development advanced drastically after the planet was conquered), yet there's quite a lot of action and violence going on during the story arcs but it's still a comedy at its core.
So, if you're looking for an easy read that doesn't take itself too seriously most of the time, i'd warmly recommend you all this little gem. I promise you won't be disappointed.

One Manga I really like is Vinland Saga. Its a lot like the Golden Age of Berserk (Minus the Skull Knight and Zodd encounters so no mysterious element which was one of the best things about that arc). Its one of those Manga's that pretty much get better and better with ever episode and I really didn't like it much until about episode 35ish and so far there are only 44 episodes lol.

My sister hates anime/manga but she reads Superior which is kinda like fable (the video game) mixed with a little Berserk but with a bigger focus on love :/. I wouldn't recommend it if your a guy but it my sister is really into it so I recommend it on her behalf.

On Side note I couldn't find where to discuss this in the Vagabond section but when will we know if Vagabond is for us or not. Im 32 episodes in and it seems too much like that Rouruni Kenshin anime/manga which I don't like. I kinda liked the section where those two dudes were getting seduced by those two chicks lol that was kinda interesting but It went downhill from there for me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Clawed The Bum said:
On Side note I couldn't find where to discuss this in the Vagabond section

Feel welcome at the Inn my friend, you can post such questions this thread, or make a new thread of your own. Feel free to comment or ask any questions you like and I or someone will be glad to answer them.

Clawed The Bum said:
when will we know if Vagabond is for us or not. Im 32 episodes in and it seems too much like that Rouruni Kenshin anime/manga which I don't like.

It's a problem I've been thinking about, Vagabond is best in longform, and unlike Berserk I can't really think of a quick hook for it unless you're already interested in the subject matter. What I can tell you is that if you aren't quite into yet, it definitely keeps raising the bar as it goes along, I mean it doesn't just evolve, at a certain point it's like a revolution, in art, storytelling and message. To be honest, the Vagabond you're reading isn't on the level yet of what it will become, but, is a necessary part of that payoff, experiencing Musashi's physical and mental journey and transformation. In that sense, the story is almost a metaphor for itself; from a typical adolescent state, to something special and transcendent. You've only read about the first arc, which amounts to the exposition for everything that is to come on Musashi's journey and rematch with the Yoshioka; it's really just begun, and from there, the story, characters and philosophical aspects really start coming into better focus, which is the real the strength of the series, though the art and action only becomes stronger as it goes on as well. I can only tell you to stick with it, for it will be more rewarding than you can possibly foresee now.

Also, having a place to discuss and dissect these things can certainly makes it more stimulating, and that's what the Vagabond Inn was created for, so please feel encouraged to share your thoughts there and get some feedback.

Clawed The Bum said:
I kinda liked the section where those two dudes were getting seduced by those two chicks lol that was kinda interesting but It went downhill from there for me.

Ha, well, there are certainly more, uh, romantic encounters and misunderstandings as the story goes on, but as far that goes, they're mostly in contrast to Musashi and Otsu's relationship and feelings for each other; which, becomes a central theme, or major subplot, depending on your focus and interests.

P.S. I also posted this reply in the "New readers" thread in the Vagabond Inn, if anyone wants to jump in over there.

Vinland Saga is awesome. Battle Angel Alita is good, but there's a tournament arc going on now in the "Last Order" part of the series, which is kind of...ehhh...
Still, there's awesomeness inbetween the mehness of the fact that the plot is using the tournament as a crutch.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service is a great manga. Dark Horse puts it out in america. Hilarious yet horrifying stuff.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oburi said:
I have the first volume of MPD psycho and tried reading through but just couldn't. Am I retarded or is that manga a little hard to follow...or read...or something. I just couldn't keep up with it, though i hear great things. Does it get better or easier to understand later on?

Actually it gets worse.
It sometimes is a bit too complex for it's own good. But i love it. And features the best art i've ever seen in a manga.

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:
Actually it gets worse.
It sometimes is a bit too complex for it's own good. But i love it. And features the best art i've ever seen in a manga.

maybe ill give it another shot.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I'll throw my vote in for Vinland Saga as well. That's definitely the style I would love to have accompanying my own Manga story. It sucks not being able to draw worth a damn. :judo:

Dar_Klink

For any fans of gambling anime out there or of just general thriller/suspense I'd highly recommend the Kaiji anime/manga. It's about a man who's basically fucked over by a debt he didn't reall get himself into and now has to take part in some insane high-stakes gambling in order to either get rid of his debt, be forced into back breaking slave labor for two years, or get himself into even more debt. Over the course of the story he gets addicted to crazy ass gambling games hosted by this crazy rich old man out to prove that some people are garbage who would do anything for money. It has a really weird art style that takes some getting used to, is practically devoid of women, and has a lot of over explaining dialogue, but gets really intense at times.
kaiji.jpg

Also if you like Kaiji, you should read or watch another series by the same author called Akagi. It's about a genius mahjong player who nearly takes over Japan's underworld with his almost demonic luck and opponent reading skills.
akagi.jpg

Aaand one more from the same author is Gambling Emperor Zero which is almost like Akagi and Kaiji combined where a young genius gets into a bunch of strange gambling games hosted by a rich as fuck old man who likes to force people to do what he tells them because of money.
3967p.jpg

A lot of my favourites have already been recommended:
Vagabond (I still need to get the BIG editions, they're awesome!)
I've been following Battle Angel Alita for a long time, can't believe a lot of the characters in Last Order are Fan made! I think Sechs is awesome his/her/it's progression from the first BAA manga has been really good
Monster was a truly amazing anime/manga (doesn't matter which as they are both almost exactly the same!) which really broke new ground for me, it was more a live action TV series than a anime or manga
Vinland Saga (Reminds me a lot of berserk, only with more horse punching)
Also Claymore is also pretty good (however I've read it quite a lot of it and I found it to be pretty forgettable after a while, dunno why) It's berserk with girls basically (and less awesome)
Blade of the Immortal is one of the reasons I started reading manga! :ganishka:
Basilisk (Best Ninja manga ever!)
Yagyu Ninja Scrolls is more of the same brand of awesome as basilisk!
Hellsing I really enjoyed, not sure about the ending still but I did enjoy it a great deal
Genshiken It the story of my life! ^^; There have been many times when I was reading it that i thought 'oh god, I've done that too'
Uzumaki or Gyo or anything by Junji Ito, he's the master of weird horror!
Kurosagai: Corpse Delivery Service A great, funny paranormal detective manga. I can't explain it's premise well so here's a preview
Black Lagoon great action, funny and gory all in one
Shigurui A great samurai manga, something to read between vagabond releases! crazy, detailed samurai action. The anime is also amazing, madhouse should make a vagabond anime.
Mushishi Is another favourite of mine, but I've found it can be a bit of a Marmite manga. It's all based around traditional ghost stories and myths; great weird fantasy stuff with a grain of half-truth? I can't explain it well.

I'm a recent convert to Osamu Tezuka too mainly Black Jack and Dororo, however it's a lot different from modern manga; Black Jack can be especially wordy in places (not that that's a bad thing!) the stories are always great and creative in equal measure

Oh yeah and Gunsmith Cats: Girls, guns, bombs, cars, more cars, great characters, where's my next GSC:burst!?

Don't know if it counts but I'd definitely recommend Scott Pilgrim to anyone who has an interest in anime/manga/comics/video games. Scott has to battle Ramona's seven evil ex-boyfriends if they are to stay together. One of them, Todd has psychic powers because as a vegan he has 100% use of his brain power (It's not filled with curds and whey)

I don't read much manga, but a couple that I've really gotten into lately:

20th Century Boys - science fiction mystery. Awesome stuff, if you want something different.

Vinland Saga - I can see the similarities some people place it with the Golden Age arc of Berserk, but it is unique in its own right, I think. It is about Vikings, so the setting is a lot different. Quite a lot of research was done by the writer obviously, since it appears to be quite realistic in its depiction of the era and the violence is even more violent than that found in Berserk! The violence is made to be more realistic, so it makes for some really brutal sequences, beautifully drawn. A wide variety of characters and a great storyline make this highly recommended for Berserk fans.

And of course, Vagabond, which I am currently loving to no end.

Dar_Klink

Henry Spencer said:
I don't read much manga, but a couple that I've really gotten into lately:

20th Century Boys - science fiction mystery. Awesome stuff, if you want something different.
I couldn't agree with you more on 20th Century Boys, if you haven't read it yet, do it. It's by the same guy who made Monster, if you haven't read Monster yet, DO IT!

Oburi

All praise Grail
I know it's already been mentioned by a few people but Blame (pronounced Blam!) is really very interesting. Great story, great art, and some really twisted characters. THe whole style is twisted. Kinda like the matrix but much darker and personal.

Top Bottom