Recommendations for Manga

Oburi

All praise Grail
Hell yea man I love Blame, and I'm reading Biomega right now. The guy is an amazing artist and creates serious and dark manga that is only second to Berserk and a few notable others.

aufond said:
Anybody into the works of Tsutomu Nihei? He's best known for Blame!, Abara, and Biomega.

I gotta third this! Blame, while not really story focused, is a magnificent experience to read, see, and think about. His mastery of a sense of scale is just otherworldly and sometime utterly chilling. Didn't know about Abara though, I'll look that one up!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Anyone know how the sequence goes in the Blame saga? I know he did sequels and prequels or something. I've always wondered how they all connect.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I'll add my name to the list here. Next to Miura and Inoue, Nihei is one of my favorite manga artists. He excels at developing a dark atmosphere, and the massive structures he illustrates in Blame easily serve as characters themselves. I've got one volume until I'm finished with that series, and I'd like to go on to read Abara and Biomega as well. I wouldn't recommend rushing through his work, though; his style is something to be savored. :badbone:

And Oburi- I'm pretty sure that the prequel you're talking about is Noise. There's also a sequel called Net Sphere Engineer, though I don't think much of it has been released yet.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I also really dig Blame! That series was really impressive to me. I haven't read anything else by him though.

Drifters seemed pretty interesting coming from the author of Hellsing, it's basically the same character art anyway ^_^. I'd recommend One Piece, but I'm sure someone's already mentioned that on here. A couple more for sure, I'll post em later.

Grail said:
I'll add my name to the list here. Next to Miura and Inoue, Nihei is one of my favorite manga artists. He excels at developing a dark atmosphere, and the massive structures he illustrates in Blame easily serve as characters themselves. I've got one volume until I'm finished with that series, and I'd like to go on to read Abara and Biomega as well. I wouldn't recommend rushing through his work, though; his style is something to be savored. :badbone:

And Oburi- I'm pretty sure that the prequel you're talking about is Noise. There's also a sequel called Net Sphere Engineer, though I don't think much of it has been released yet.
I picked up Biomega's first 2 volumes yesterday while I was looking for Berserk volumes beyond 30, at Kinokuniya. I finished the first volume this morning in the subway (my ride's about 40 minutes to downtown), and it's actually pretty good. I love the way the action is pretty quick, and it was interesting to see the opening sequence somewhat resemble that of Akira, another manga I adore.

Yeah Vinland Saga rocks. But it is so damn slow! Slower than Berserk :p
But now another genre. Someone knows "Nana to Kaoru" in german it is called "Nana & Kaoru" (! Surprise :p ). It is a nice S&M ecchi romance manga. I'm into some romance works, and this is definitely interesting. I never thought about S&M and how it is liked by it's "users". What is the beauty about S&M? That things are in some way explained in this manga. It is a sweet lolipop manga. But i like it. You should taste it. it is worth trying. you could decide afterwards if you like it or not. But it is not some of those rape hentai shit that is really NOT representing S&M

Oburi

All praise Grail
Konketsuji said:
But it's still awesome!! :carcus: All the best things are slow: Vagabond, Berserk, Vinland Saga. :judo:

What do you guys mean by slow? I don't see how Berserk is "slow"?

Oburi

All praise Grail
OOh okay, slow releases. I didn't even know Vinland Saga was still coming out. How far is that series along? I read the first few books a long while back.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Oburi said:
OOh okay, slow releases. I didn't even know Vinland Saga was still coming out. How far is that series along? I read the first few books a long while back.
It's on volume 8 now. Some people are saying the story is dragging at this point because there's more character development and farming and less HORSE PUNCHING AND MANLY! Remind you of any other fanbase? :troll:
The author is on hiatus now though because he's sick, so I'm not sure when it will be back again. :sad:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I would like some new manga/anime series to get into. I'd been out of loop for a while now (only following Berserk) but late one night I caught an old episode of Cowboy Bebop and it reminded me of not only how great of a series it was, but also how entertaining anime can be at it's best. So I've been really in the mood to watch something newer that is of great quality, but since there is so much material out there I wouldn't know where to begin looking. As many of you know my taste for manga is stuff like Berserk, and the only other manga I'm currently following is Eden; its and Endless World. The only other manga I have read to completion and fully enjoyed were Blame! Battle Royale, Deathnote (long before the anime and films came out) Blade of the Immortal (gave up on it during the medical experiments arc) and maybe a few others that I can't remember. As for anime, I've seen a lot of stuff that came out 5-10 years ago but nothing that's recently come out. My favorites from back in the day are Cowboy Bebop, Elfin Lied, stiff like that.

So basically, is there any manga/anime that you think I could enjoy? I don't mind a little comedy but I really want some serious stuff that's aimed more towards adults. Also preferably something that's licensed in the States so that I can actually buy it. I'm really in the mood to start watching/ reading stuff but so much of what is recommended to me just doesn't really work. I love manga, I love anime, but most material seems so sub par compared with Berserk and the like.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Pluto, Monster, 20th Century Boys, any Tezuka works you can get your hands on, What a Wonderful World(good slice-of-life 2 volume series), Dorohedoro(only 2 volumes out in the States though), Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3(only licensed part), GTO, Shonan Junai Gumi, Miura's collab work is cheap on Amazon, or was a bit ago, Yotsuba&! if you're in the mood for simple and cute fun, the list could go on, but I gotta go to work... I'll whip up a chart later(well, I'll edit the scanlation type info out of an existing one at least so I can post it here)

Oh, I'll add a random recommendation for an anime I liked recently. Infinite Ryvius. Good luck finding dvds though.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
I would like some new manga/anime series to get into. I'd been out of loop for a while now (only following Berserk) but late one night I caught an old episode of Cowboy Bebop and it reminded me of not only how great of a series it was, but also how entertaining anime can be at it's best. So I've been really in the mood to watch something newer that is of great quality, but since there is so much material out there I wouldn't know where to begin looking. As many of you know my taste for manga is stuff like Berserk, and the only other manga I'm currently following is Eden; its and Endless World. The only other manga I have read to completion and fully enjoyed were Blame! Battle Royale, Deathnote (long before the anime and films came out) Blade of the Immortal (gave up on it during the medical experiments arc) and maybe a few others that I can't remember. As for anime, I've seen a lot of stuff that came out 5-10 years ago but nothing that's recently come out. My favorites from back in the day are Cowboy Bebop, Elfin Lied, stiff like that.

So basically, is there any manga/anime that you think I could enjoy? I don't mind a little comedy but I really want some serious stuff that's aimed more towards adults. Also preferably something that's licensed in the States so that I can actually buy it. I'm really in the mood to start watching/ reading stuff but so much of what is recommended to me just doesn't really work. I love manga, I love anime, but most material seems so sub par compared with Berserk and the like.

I highly recommend you check out Takehiko Inoue’s Vagabond. Words can't describe how good it is. If Berserk didn't exist, Vagabond would be manga No. 1 in my book.

On the anime side of things, check out Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG, as well as the film conclusion, Solid State Society. It's the only anime besides Cowboy Bebop that I find to be nearly flawless. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is pretty damn good, too. It's one of the few shonen titles I enjoy.

Read Vagabond, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and AKIRA. They're all very good.

You should read Vagabond so you can join our Secret Club at the Inn.

Dar Klink said:
Pluto, Monster, 20th Century Boys, any Tezuka works you can get your hands on, What a Wonderful World(good slice-of-life 2 volume series), Dorohedoro(only 2 volumes out in the States though), Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3(only licensed part), GTO, Shonan Junai Gumi, Miura's collab work is cheap on Amazon, or was a bit ago, Yotsuba&! if you're in the mood for simple and cute fun, the list could go on, but I gotta go to work... I'll whip up a chart later(well, I'll edit the scanlation type info out of an existing one at least so I can post it here)

Oh, I'll add a random recommendation for an anime I liked recently. Infinite Ryvius. Good luck finding dvds though.
Good list there, and what Eluvei + Rhomb said.

From what's not mentioned and I see on my manga rack try ... NANA, Air Gear, MPD-Psycho, Fruits Basket, Omoide Emanon, Monster, Claymore, Kino No Tabi, The Breaker, Watashitachi No Shiawase Na Jikan, Hotel, Adolf, Parasyte, Drifters, Bio-meat, Slam Dunk, 7 Seeds, Ai No Kusabi, Oyasumi Punpun, Hunter X Hunter, Uzumaki, Lament Of Lamb, Hokuto No Ken, The Embalmer, Skip Beat, Planetes, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Garden Of Sinners, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Full Metal Alchemist.

I'm guessing you've ready Rurouni Kenshin or One Piece :iva:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I recommend anything but Vagabond. Whether it be embarrassingly juvenile shonen, or vacuously hardcore seinen; whatever, literally just try anything else, however maddeningly inferior. Don't even limit it to manga: American comics, TV, video games, cocaine, basket weaving, any time sink you can think of. Plan it, do it on a whim, but try to be as arbitrary about it as possible. That said, make sure you don't accidentally read Vagabond by mistake in your attempts to randomly choose something, anything to do, other than Vagabond, because it could happen if you choose too randomly in a bookstore. Is there a cheap knock off of Vagabond being produced, the "Devil Hunt" to Vagabond's Berserk so to speak, perhaps with a title like "Homeless Ninja"? If so, that's a good start, read that instead of Vagabond. Hell, be creative, scroll through blank drawing journals at Michael's and imagine you're reading something other than Vagabond in addition to actually not reading it, just be sure you don't make believe you're reading Vagabond by mistake.

Or try REAL.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I think REAL is great.

I can relate with Nomiya Tomomi a lot, which is actually kinda sad :sad: since he doesn't have much going for him, and going from crappy job to crappy job with only a vague idea of what he wants to do in life or where to turn to next. (i still don't know what to do now, and I've been out of high school since June :() Reading REAL and seeing Nomiya's side of the story really got to me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well said, Real is a great and affecting read, I hope my rant (to which there couldn't be a more perfect response than yours btw =) didn't imply otherwise.

Also, don't worry, I don't think you've totally wasted your life yet.
SK.gif

I agree with Vagabond and Real. A friend of mine is a big Fist Of The North Star and Akira fan, and I pushed Vagabond on him to simply try, if not for the story but just the art, whatever it took for him to take that first step. Once he began reading it, he ran through the first 8 Volumes in a few hours and texted me to get more the next day. He caught up in 2 days and we talked about it last night for quite a bit. The 32 volumes of Vagabond are a much easier, quicker read than the 32 volumes of Berserk in comparison - that's the next thing I'm gonna push on to him to at least try! If he likes it, good for him haha.

I can't wait to get Real 7 in the mail, so I can read 8 that's sitting at home.

Shin Angyo Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Master)

I've been asked about my avatar so I may as well post a recommendation here. The only mention of this Manhwa was back in 2006 by Firewithin. Which is surprising since it is probably one of the top Korean Manhwa's to date. When I first read it, this gem knocked Berserk out of my no.1 favorite spot. It is that incredible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_of_the_Phantom_Master

It's also complete so no waiting around on this one. Unfortunately it has no English publisher (that I could find) so good luck to anyone who doesn't speak Korean, Japanese, French, German, Hungarian, Chinese, Italian, Thai or Indonesian.

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a great heart wrenching story of betrayal. It has deep characters, an intricate storyline (though it's also an assortment of Korean folktales, so the first few arcs feel episodic.) It doesn't get much more epic than SAO. Just be warned that SAO is as, if not more, cruel on the reader as Berserk. :femto:

Enjoy :ubik:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
I also really dig Blame! That series was really impressive to me. I haven't read anything else by him though.

Don't. His other works (even the "sequels" and "prequels" to Blame!) pale in comparison.

Top Bottom