Sequel to Final Fantasy IV

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, this is real. I just heard about this a few minutes ago and honestly can't remember when I was last this excited about a game. It's pretty embarrassing, really.

Wikipedia article for  Final Fantasy IV The After: Return to the Moon

Set 17 years after the story in FF4, "After" sees the son of Cecil and Rosa on his on quest, along with the return of nearly everyone from the original cast. This is like a nerd's wet dream come true. Amano did all the designs, and the FF4 designer is head designer.  (:isidro:) It's basically everything I'd dreamed Square would do when I was a teenager, only now they're actually DOING IT. With one caveat.... it's on a fucking cellphone. For now, anyway. "Recently, staff involved in the development of the game hinted that the title could get a release outside of Japan."

Well, here's hoping they see the potential in this enough to bring it over to the DS. And then, to America. :daiba:

It won't be groundbreaking on a gameplay standpoint by any means, but I don't often play RPGs for the gameplay, the tradeoff is good story and characters. I'm personally very fond of the old game so seeing it go further is just a nice nerdy bonus.

Psh, groundbreaking is overrated. What I want is /fun/, and FF IV was the most fun I've ever had playing a game, at the time I played it.

Sucks it's on a cellphone, but it'll only take one enterprising geek to rip it, and then not too many more to port and translate it.

EXCITEMENT :idea:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Sucks it's on a cellphone, but it'll only take one enterprising geek to rip it, and then not too many more to port and translate it.
While that' s a nice pioneering thought, I'd rather have Square take the idea seriously and port it to DS, or at the very fucking least, AMERICAN cellphones.

It can't cost that much money to produce this and they'd essentially be printing money.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ignore me, I suck. Well, good news! I'm 99% sure this will be a WiiWare port, especially since the game offers multiple, downloadable chapters you have to buy. Perfect for the WiiWare [milking] framework.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
the ESRB just rated it for wiiware

http://gonintendo.com/?p=74071

though I'm not really interested in this game, I tried out the DS FFIV and i didn't like it, more of a Dragon Quest (DQV was awesome) person i guess

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
'The After' is scheduled to be released on WiiWare next Monday (June 2 June 1). Can't waaaait :mozgus:

As I was telling a friend, I doubt the game will actually be that great, but it's the novelty of doing sequel to one of my favorite games that I'm so excited about :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Geez guys, I make one mistake and you run wild like rabbits fucking in spring! FIXED.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Fuck year! I love the game so far, it's like they actually wanted to make a good sequel that captured the feel of the original rather than just throwing belts, zippers, darkness, and Gackt at it like every other newer Final Fantasy project.

Edit: Just beat the game right now, and it was awesome! Can't wait for the next chapter to come out. The encounter rate is almost rage inducing, but I still loved it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I beat it the day it was released. The Prologue chapter (the only one out right now) about ~4 hours of gameplay, not including the DLC of Rydia's Tale, which I haven't touched yet. The game is ... uh, OK. The story feels more like a fanfic than a legitimate FF story.

It's just very derivative, which I suppose I should have expected. But I mean TRULY derivative. As in, the actual flow of the game is so similar to FF4 that it's almost a parody. You go through some of the exact same sequences, dungeons and scenarios you did as Cecil (ex: Let's visit the Village of Mist through the Mist cave ... again! or Let's go from Mysidia through the Devil's Road to Baron ... again!) only you're Ceodore this time. And because of the multiple stories going on at once, you'll get to explore Baron Castle a total of 4 separate times. Joy. When I found out I had to go through the annoyingly renovated Devil's Road again I nearly fucking vomited.

The battle cycles are indeed quite infuriating. And though the game starts out extremely easy, the difficulty ramps up quite suddenly to the extent that you'll need to save very often in order to stave off frustration. One moment you'll be killing enemies with 1 hit. Next battle you'll die in 2 hits.

The game shows promise, but the next chapter really needs to break out of this shell. It feels by the end of the prologue that they've finally oriented the players with the world enough to do something truly new, so I look forward to that.

Here's a schedule of the releases in the following months. I've spoilered them out since many of the descriptions have mild spoilers:
Prologue (800 points, Available Now)
Cecil and Rosa's son, Ceodore, must prove himself as a knight and escape living under the shadow of being Cecil's son. Meanwhile, Baron falls under attack by a mysteriou and nefarious force...

Rydia's Tale (300 points, 5 blocks, Available Now)
Rydia, returning to her second homeland in the Feymarch, finds its queen cold and unwelcome. Suddenly, the Eidolon King and all his subjects freeze, as if turned to stone. Together with Luca, daughter of the dwarven king, Rydia heads to the Dwarven Castle to investigate.

Yang's Tale (300 points, 5 blocks, 7/06/09)
Yang serves as king of Fabul, but still he trains on a daily basis with his loyal monks. One day his daughter, Princess Ursula, slips away from the castle. Traveling to Mount Hobs to retrieve her, Yang is shocked to find the Red Wings in the sky, ready to invade his country...

Palom's Tale (300 points, 4 blocks, 7/06/09)
Palom the black mage has sworn to follow in the late Tellah's footsteps and become a sage. His elder sends him to Troia to train Leonora, a novice Epopt, in black magic. What does a peaceful kingdom need such powerful magic for? The upheavals rocking the entire world are about to land on Troia's doorstep...

Edge's Tale (300 points, 5 blocks, 7/06/09)
Edge, honoring his parents' dying wish, is now king of Eblan. His kingdom is prosperous once more, but the Tower of Babil's ominous glow has returned. To investigate this dour omen, Edge sends four of his most faithful ninja on covert missions spanning the entire globe.

Porom's Tale (300 points, 6 blocks, 8/03/09)
As the Lunar Whale sets off from the dragon's mouth towards the new moon, monsters suddenly pour out of the Devil's Road. Realizing the danger, the elder of Mysidia orders Porom to visit Mount Ordeals and find the reclusive dragoon who once served Baron with pride...

Edward's Tale (300 points, 5 blocks, 8/03/09)
Aided by his neighbors, Edward has nursed the kingdom of Damcyan back to health. One night, he witnesses a meteor strike from beyond a castle window. After an emissary from Baron orders Edward not to touch the crash site, the king travels to Cecil's domain with his secretary, Harley, in search of an explanation.

The Lunarian's Tale (300 points, 5 blocks, 8/03/09)
After their great battle, the Lunarians embarked on an endless journey, slumbering until the time was right--but one of them has woken from a fearsome nightmare, only to find the moon's Crystals brimming with a foreboding red light in their palace...

The Crystals (800 points, 17 blocks, 9/07/09)
As the world is cloaked in darkness, Rydia and Edge search for their old friends. Meanwhile, King Cecil of Baron confronts Kain, Rose, and Ceodore inside his castle. The world is being laid to waste. Can anything be done to stop the encroaching danger?

relmneiko

Scaffold of Rotting Wood
I'm sorry, this is one sequel they shouldn't have made. The moment I heard about the game I wept for my childhood. It's the same thing as what Advent Children (and the whole Complication) did to FF7, except you can't even say it'll dish out some eye-candy and good action sequences. Just - no.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
relmneiko said:
I'm sorry, this is one sequel they shouldn't have made. The moment I heard about the game I wept for my childhood. It's the same thing as what Advent Children (and the whole Complication) did to FF7, except you can't even say it'll dish out some eye-candy and good action sequences. Just - no.
Hahaha, Advent Children didn't even have good action sequences. Unless you like cinematography by 11-year-old Joey playing with his GI Joes.

And this is really nothing like Advent Children. For one, no character is wearing extraneous belts. But ... have you even played this?

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I'd like to see Square give the same treatment to Final Fantasy III/VI that they did with Final Fantasy II/IV, especially with some great cut scenes.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
KazigluBey said:
I'd like to see Square give the same treatment to Final Fantasy III/VI that they did with Final Fantasy II/IV, especially with some great cut scenes.
Seriously! It may be nostalgia, since FFVI was the first FF I got into majorly, but I still see it as the best Final Fantasy, with IX as a close second.

Top Bottom