Vagabond Live Action

Solarmaker

I am completly ready for a Zombie attack!
In my searchings through the internet i stumbled across a interesting thing. A live action Vagabond in samurai drama format. Here's the link to the first part of the first episode. Warning though, the quality is shitacular. But as long as there's a picture and subtitles, if you're hardcore you'll at least sit through the first five minutes before you kill yourself. Surprisingly enough it was made a few years ago. I don't have much information other then that. So here's the link, Enjoy...or...gag...depends.

http://www.mysoju.com/musashi/episode-1/part-1/

Solarmaker

I am completly ready for a Zombie attack!
ya its a traditional samurai drama and those are comparable to a american day time soap opera just with swords and a lot less sleeping around and a lot less drama so... does that comparison still stand?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, is that what Viz is referring to here?

About Vagabond and Miyamoto Musashi said:
Inspired by the huge success of Vagabond in Japan, in 2003 NHK produced the historical period drama Musashi. Also based on Yoshikawa’s novel, this drama stars kabuki actor Shinnosuke Ichikawa as Musashi and TV star Ryoko Yonekura as Otsu.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like a serious bastardization of Yoshikawa's novel, and a cash-in on the Musashi name -- and not in the flattering way that Inoue handles it :badbone:

Griffith

Yeah, the numbers of Musashi remakes and derivatives are just staggering. The one that jumps out the most is the alleged 36 films made about him alone, and counting all the books, movies, TV shows, music, comics, plays, and video games, the number has to be in the hundreds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi_in_fiction

Anyway, I'm still interesting in watching this when I have the time, though I don't know how far I'll get. I'd probably be better of just watching The Samurai Trilogy again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I still haven't seen Toshiro Mifune's Samurai trilogy, partly because it was after he and Kurosawa parted and as a result, I think I'd find it a little depressing  :judo:

Are they worth checking out, at least for the Musashi lore alone? If so, is it a real "trilogy" or just three movies he made as the same character?

Griffith

Oh yeah, they're worth checking out, just don't expect Kurosawa; but, it's a real trilogy, and one about Miyamoto Musashi starring Toshiro Mifune! A pretty awesome thing to behold as is.

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
I could see Vagabond as life action series longest it done like Zatoichi sense the series really dosen't involve any energy blast, yokai or mutants. It should be easy to pull out

Griffith

I agree, the story of Musashi, while a period piece, doesn't require any outlandish special effects or anything, just simple production values. Probably why it's been so popular to adapt to the stage and screen already.

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
Yes that sounds correct but much of the kabuki has large effects done simply, not sure if you ever heard of demon river. Don't actually know the full translation name but it had several parts with tremendous effect and it was done simple, so I think those parts were Musashi sees his inner bloodlust can be done too

Griffith

I haven't heard of that play, but it all sounds very interesting, do you have an examples of the kind of practical stage effects used? Pictures or video?

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
The actual stage act is a film which I only got to watch because my fiance work at Bluckbuster, however here is where you can buy it http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Pond-Tetsuro-Tamba/dp/B0013D8LW2 and here some info about it http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-demonpond.html

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Directed by Takashi Miike? Oh nooooo.

Still, I've always wanted to see what could be done with a stage play and modern technology. I've always maintained that I think certain parts of Berserk would be very effective on stage with a minimalist presentation.

Top Bottom