REAL, Inoue's other basketball manga

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Finished the first volume a few minutes ago... and I'm already half way through the second. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
Finished the first volume a few minutes ago... and I'm already half way through the second. :guts:
I don't think I was really hooked until about the 5th.

Griffith

Well, after my last post I plowed all the way through 5 before going to bed, then wrapped it up early this morning. I was going to update my progress after getting through the first few episodes, since I liked what I saw, but then I ended up just reading them all and forgetting any comments I had for the early episodes. I don't see what was particularly amazing about 7 though, it hit that level pretty early on for me. You should've been saying that a long time ago, Wally. :troll:

Anyway, I just finished catching all the way up, which I don't regret, since it left me with goosebumps. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I just got really into 7 because it's a payoff after volumes of buildup. It's their first big game, and several plot lines begin to converge within the game. Also, the characters have begun to be comfortable around each other, which is nice after all the initial awkwardness.

It's also the first volume where I realized that Nomiya is very similar, in both personality and looks, to Takuan. :SK:

Griffith

Walter said:
I just got really into 7 because it's a payoff after volumes of buildup. It's their first big game, and several plot lines begin to converge within the game. Also, the characters have begun to be comfortable around each other, which is nice after all the initial awkwardness.

Yeah, maybe reading it practically in one sitting gave me a different perspective, but I didn't see the overall plot as a priority. A natural progression is there of course, but it was more a sum of various individual, and sometimes loosely connected, parts than the point. To juxtapose it with Vagabond, which will go off on tangents but will ultimately return to and serve the main goal, Real seems more like a series of tangents by Inoue (sometimes to the point of interrupting himself), from which main goals have developed. It certainly seems to be the case in the episodes beyond volume 7, and not an unwelcome development. I don't know though, I literally read it through one time in the last 24 hours, so you tell me if I sound like it.

This is technically just a first impression. :iva:

Walter said:
It's also the first volume where I realized that Nomiya is very similar, in both personality and looks, to Takuan. :SK:
Yeah, I liked him early on, and if anyone's looking for Musashi and Kojiro, look no further than Togawa and Takahashi. :carcus: :griffnotevil:

My favorite Nomiya/Takuan moment:
"Don't kid yourself! You're not a loser because you can't walk... you were already one to begin with!!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, well yeah it's been a bit different for me, since I'm kind of pioneering the series. It was uncharted waters for me as I was reading it. I wasn't sure how much of a payoff it would have. As I've told you before, and you know well by now, REAL is pretty depressing stuff, especially in the way Inoue tends to focus on the low points of these characters so intensely.

By volume 7 though, I could see where he was taking it, and it's a good place.

I'll have to look up my own favorite Nomiya moments, because there are many. But he's easily my favorite character, and stars in the best moments for me personally.

Griffith

I guess I was more optimistic reading it, because I had some pretty good vibes even in the first volume with their ups and downs, and I assumed things would more or less work out. I might have been fooling myself to a degree, just assuming everything would eventually come up roses.
Like when Takahashi was hit by the truck, first thought was that was a little extreme karma for the high school jerk, and second, "oh, I guess he's joining the team." Yeah, not quite so easy. =)
Of course, I was moving from one thing to the next immediately, so there wasn't any particular moment or downer I was left to dwell on, until now of course, and as it turns out, it was an extremely positive epiphany I'd been anticipating for a long time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I had actually started to doubt the series for a while, and now I'm left wondering why I had doubted it. :farnese:

Regarding the spoiler you posted above, I think that's what we're supposed to think, but yeah he's got a long way to go. And I'm fairly sure his character is one of the main reasons Inoue wrote this: as a no-holds-barred way to enlighten the public with all the things paraplegics go through, in addition to their physical disabilities.

Griffith

Walter said:
I had actually started to doubt the series for a while, and now I'm left wondering why I had doubted it. :farnese:

I can imagine it seeming unfocused and frustrating if one were to read it over the course of years. I mean, that struck me reading it in a matter of hours, it just wasn't a bad thing in that time frame.

Walter said:
Regarding the spoiler you posted above, I think that's what we're supposed to think, but yeah he's got a long way to go. And I'm fairly sure his character is one of the main reasons Inoue wrote this: as a no-holds-barred way to enlighten the public with all the things paraplegics go through, in addition to their physical disabilities.

Yeah, I really enjoy all his scenes, and actually, if there's a character I resent a little, it's Nomiya because he can walk and is sort of a traditional able-bodied main character. Though he's very effective in the ensemble, it made me think, "Did we still really need that for this story to work?" I know, my recognition of, and prejudice against, him being different is all kinds of ironic. We're all human. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
He may be able-bodied, but he has his own challenges in trying to find his place in the world. The others around him have no trouble with that. But Nomiya is socially crippled.

See what I did there? :carcus:

Griffith

Walter said:
He may be able-bodied, but he has his own challenges in trying to find his place in the world. The others around him have no trouble with that. But Nomiya is socially crippled.

See what I did there? :carcus:

Well, I didn't say he wasn't disabled, just not physically. :ganishka:

Though I do think they all struggle with that to a degree, especially Takahashi obviously, but even Togawa.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I just got volume 8 this week, finished it last night. Was good, but not a highlight for the series. Looking forward to 9, but it's not scheduled to be released until November...

Griffith

While reading free agent updates abnout the Lakers, fittingly enough, I happened to notice this author profile of Inoue on the sidebar of the LA Times website, which had a link to this corresponding LA Times review of Real, both posted a few weeks ago. I found the profile of Inoue the most interesting, particularly this tidbit at the end:

Despite his success, he continues to push himself as an artist, a view reflected in the poem he added to a volume of "Vagabond":

The more I draw

The more progress I make

The clearer I see the things I lack.

Word.:void:

Griffith

vole.gif

http://www.itplanning.co.jp/reale.html said:
This time, my staff was teaching a workshop in Kumamoto, and they had to
fly out there before the last few pages were done. So I finished them
myself. Inking the colors didn't require much thought so it was a stress
reliever. But I didn't like doing the tones that came afterward... which
I rediscovered. It was fun.

pic_take.gif

INOUE TAKEHIKO
23 August 2010

59a.gif

59b.gif

:SK:

I picked up a few volumes of REAL on Friday last week at KinoKuniya. I finished Vol 1 and dug into Vol 2 on the subway (between my ride back home on Friday, and getting into work this morning), and it's pretty much win for me. The art's there, you can tell in a few places that the detail's pretty good, like when you get a full page or almost full page shot of Takahashi
in the hospital, crying
. It'll be interesting to see what happens next, I'm up to the point where
the Tigers notice those 2 new big reputation players come in for the play during the 2nd quarter of their match against the Dreamers

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't personally sold on the series after the first two volumes. But it definitely hooked me by about volume 5. Same with Vagabond, really. Hang in there!

Aaahh. I was sold by the end of Volume 1 actually. I felt a bit insignificant and small when I read about the sort of effort it takes for people in a wheelchair or people with any sort of handicap. It's so easy to give up. I've read up till Volume 6, and I have Volume 8 sitting right near me. Maaaaaaaaaaan, why am I missing Volume 7?!!!? GRRRRRRRRRRRR. Wait, I found it on Amazon, and ordered it. Wait, I goofed on Shipping or something because now it tells me I'll get it mid/ end October :magni: ... *curses Amazon and not his laziness to read while clicking through pages quickly in excitement* :beast:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Just bought the firsrt 2 volumes today. I can say I'm hooked. Nomiya sure is the stand out character on what I read so far. Looking foward to get the next volumes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished 9 yesterday. Things are still moving a bit slow, but it's all still excellent. Can't wait til some of you guys catch up!

Griffith

Takahashi's long awaited recall of Togawa and realization about wheelchair basketball gave me chills.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I"m up to volume 5. It's nice to see the backstory of Takahashi and Kiyoharu and what both went through. Nomiya's adventure after he got his license was funny and a big step for him as he calls it. I also liked how the Tigers came to be and how Kiyo came about finding about wheelchair basketball. I"m looking foward for Takahashi's rehab since he seems to be way down on spirts at the moment. Overall, really liking the series.

UPDATE: Got to Volume 10 now. I"m very content on how the series is turning out. Takahashi going to live with his dad shows another side of him and how he behaves while he's there, and how his father has to deal with him. The rematch with the Dreams gives the Tigers a new light on how well they have connected with each other despite the loss. Nomiya's adventures are good to empathize with since he's the only non disable character that is struggling so much. We'll see if he makes it into the professional level. Takahashi's stubborness is well portrayed and he puts himself down many times, reminiscing about when he thought of himself of a higher ranking. But it goes to show that doesn't matter when you go for rehab and that other guy, I forgot his name can actually do what he can't. He finally opens up a bit with him and then when the Scorpion comes around it's even better to see their chemistry. That trainer sure is hard on them, but for the good reasons. At least for now Takahashi is making progress too. Now I"ll just have to wait like the rest and see where it goes on Vol. 11.

Top Bottom