The new Band of the Hawk

Legato 2057

The Grey Wolf
Not Griffith's Neo Hawks (as some one this board called them-not sure who), but the group that is following Guts around now. I remember in one of the last chapters that this is how he saw the new group. As sort of a "replacement" for them. Griffith's apostles are just loyal soldiers who follow him because they simply want to fight for someone where as his Band of the Hawk Beast ( ;D ) are more comrades in arms who want to fight with some one.

What I started to wonder is: Is Guts desire for revenge as strong as Griffith's desire to have his own kingdom?

If his desire is just as strong, would he be willing to sacrifice his Band of the Beast (I like that name ;D) to accomplish that goal?

Legato 2057

The Grey Wolf
Well I obviously have to believe what Miura says.

I will be disapointed if its too hapy tho. It just wouldn't fit the storyline to have everything turn out all happy IMO. It doesn't have to neccesarily turn out that everybody dies. But if everybody surrives and lives happily ever after, it just wouldn't be Berserk.

Ive been wondering that same thing, I mean as far as I can tell (I might be wrong) but I thought Guts still had a behelit. And we all know it has a way of returning to who it belongs, and if it is there, then maybe its supposed to be there.

My last post in the 'Was Femto in the right' category I mentioned that Miura was probably portraying human nature with Griffith, that deep down, we are all willing to wager everything for what we believe in. That with what Shierke said when she saw Griffiths first battle:
(v22c08p172)

"we must make use of the falcon [I assume its supposed to be hawk] of darkness. The king of the blind white sheep is the master of the black sheep with the burden of sins. He is the one who will bring true darkness to the world."

I thought the king was Griffith, and the black sheep was Guts. If thats true, then Guts in his current situation, the fact that he has a behelit (if thats true, not sure yet) and this prophecy leads to an interesting conclusion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Hawk - Guts
King - Griffith
White Sheep - Midland
Black Sheep - Apostle Army.

Just my opinion.

krunkster

mankowodaisuki
elhinnaw said:
(v22c08p172)
"we must make use of the falcon [I assume its supposed to be hawk] of darkness. The king of the blind white sheep is the master of the black sheep with the burden of sins. He is the one who will bring true darkness to the world."

Interesting quote.
Does anyone who has a better understanding of the original Japanese know where the "burden of sins" lies. Is it with the black sheep or the king?
I ask so that I can have a better understanding of the symbolism.

I could actually do it my self if I had a romanization of the entire quote.... ;)

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Let's examine the correct translation then.

"The Angel shall be a Falcon of Darkness. Both master of the sinful black sheep and king of the blind white ones. The one who shall bring an age of darkness upon the world."

If,
Black sheep = Apostle army
Blind white sheep = Midland people

Then,
Falcon of Darkness = Griffith.

No two ways about it I'd say.

Mizar said:
If,
Black sheep = Apostle army
Blind white sheep = Midland people
Then,
Falcon of Darkness = Griffith.
No two ways about it I'd say.
And Schierke only quotes the end of the prophecy.
Before that, it says that when the Sun would have died five times (the Occultations), a red lake (the blood of the Hawk Soldiers) would appear at the West of the city with a name both new and ancient (Midland), and it would be the sign that the fifth angel (God Hand), the Falcon of Darkness, is born.
It's about Griffith, obviously.

puella

Berserk forever
Olivier Hague said:
And Schierke only quotes the end of the prophecy.
Before that, it says that when the Sun would have died five times (the Occultations), a red lake (the blood of the Hawk Soldiers) would appear at the West of the city with a name both new and ancient (Midland), and it would be the sign that the fifth angel (God Hand), the Falcon of Darkness, is born.
It's about Griffith, obviously.

I hope I won't hear "Guts is the Dark Hawk" any more with the post above. I've too often seen people say that.

Hi_There

Born to be MILD!
Yah I agree, I don't think Guts would be mentioned in any prophecy, since prophecy is guided by causality and well... considering causality, Gutts should have died a couple times by now.

krunkster

mankowodaisuki
Mizar said:
Let's examine the correct translation then.

"The Angel shall be a Falcon of Darkness. Both master of the sinful black sheep and king of the blind white ones. The one who shall bring an age of darkness upon the world."

Thanks.

Franz

It's a dolphin.
For those who believe that Griffith = Dark Hawk, realize that that's how we, as the readers who know that Griffith is really the antagonist and Gatsu the protagonist, don't see things from the point of view of the people of Midland and the rest of the Berserk world.

Prior to Griffith's downfall/torture by the King, everybody loved Griffith. He was a hero, their savior, etc...though confused as to his disappearance, Midland still held thought that Griffith=teh ownz. THEREFORE, and because people had the vision of a white hawk before Griffith's return, Midland, etc see Griffith as The White Hawk...white as a symbol of purity, that of a savior or somebody held in high respect.

On the other hand, Gatsu deserves title of Dark Hawk, NOT Light Hawk, even though he IS fighting for what we take as "good." He is not only haunted by unworldly demons and not only do they seem to 'follow him' to wherever he travels, etc, but does not have the popular vote, lets say. ;) He strikes fear into the hearts of the people, and even if he is later redeemed he still leaves behind an eerie atmosphere. He carries a dark and intimidating appearance (rather obvious, just as Griffith carries a holy/light appearance).

To me, it only makes sense.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Franz said:
For those who believe that Griffith = Dark Hawk, realize that that's how we, as the readers who know that Griffith is really the antagonist and Gatsu the protagonist, don't see things from the point of view of the people of Midland and the rest of the Berserk world.

That's why they're called 'blind white sheep'.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Franz said:
On the other hand, Gatsu deserves title of Dark Hawk, NOT Light Hawk, even though he IS fighting for what we take as "good." He is not only haunted by unworldly demons and not only do they seem to 'follow him' to wherever he travels, etc, but does not have the popular vote, lets say. ;) He strikes fear into the hearts of the people, and even if he is later redeemed he still leaves behind an eerie atmosphere. He carries a dark and intimidating appearance (rather obvious, just as Griffith carries a holy/light appearance).

To me, it only makes sense.

From the usual theories I've heard, many people seem to think of Griffith as an "antichrist" type figure. Midland's people think of him as a saviour and in many ways he is, but it comes at a heavy price and with a lot of baggage. Griffith most likely is the dark hawk, but he's not going to just come out and say it/show it. Subtlety is key. 8)

Kart

Resident /b/tard
Yeah, you would think gutts would represent the dark hawk wouldn't you? it would seem like it considering he was a high ranking leader in hawks, he's one of the last few hawks left, he tends to carry darkness like a cape. but then you have Griffith, on his exterior seems to radiate light, but under we've yet to see how he really feels, because it's clear he hides how he truly feels and expresses it on few occuations.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
krunkster said:

Umm... a bit late perhaps, but you should thank Hague, not me. It's his translation and he's the one who gave the link to the correct translation earlier in this thread.

Aquedesin

See you soon my dear...
Kart said:
Yeah, you would think gutts would represent the dark hawk wouldn't you? it would seem like it considering he was a high ranking leader in hawks, he's one of the last few hawks left, he tends to carry darkness like a cape. but then you have Griffith, on his exterior seems to radiate light, but under we've yet to see how he really feels, because it's clear he hides how he truly feels and expresses it on few occuations.

Guts isn't the dark hawk and dark isn't a synonym for cool. Real evilness look like a blessing until it's too late. Well, it's my opinion. :p

Kart

Resident /b/tard
Griffith = dark hawk

Gattsu = isn't in the prophecy because he has...NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. that's right folks, gatts isn't any where in the legends or nothing at all, he's simply a little something that defys fate.

Top Bottom