Should we start to colour together?

Maybe we should start to join hand in hand together and colour all the scans in vol 28 how many that? Its would be cool and i have seen some potential here... If we all join effort we can come out with a spectacular masterpieces how abt that?

Of coz we should appoint Lith to lead and guide us in our colouring progression...

Should decide on standard colorizations first.
I'm highly opposed to Lith's green-haired Shierke, even though Lith's colorizations are great. Berserk is a pretty grim setting and I don't like the idea of turning it into typical manga/anime rainbow hair-color cast.
A blue-tinted Puck might be ok if done right, but I'd prefer him just to be blonde or white-haired. Maybe rather than coloring him in we can use our talents for good and erase him except where he's not being an annoyance? (Only half kidding.)

Denial said:
I'm highly opposed to Lith's green-haired Shierke, even though Lith's colorizations are great.
According to the TCG's Original Illustrations, which are drawn by Mister Miura himself, it looks like Schierke's hair IS green.

g_011.jpg

Denial said:
A blue-tinted Puck might be ok if done right, but I'd prefer him just to be blonde or white-haired.
As for Puck, as you can see in the same Illustration, or in the 2 following Cards, his hair is blue (and Evarella's is... pink).

l_bk1_056.jpg
l_bk2_19.jpg

So... I guess we could say that Mister Miura pretty much likes "typical manga/anime rainbow hair-color cast"...

That doesn't look like green hair to me, it looks like grey, if anything. I'll check on my other computer later to see if it's just this monitor (LCD seems to have less range than my CRT, or maybe it's just Windows' crappy color palette).
It doesn't really matter anyway. I'm totally aware Puck's hair has always been done in blue in official colors, I just don't care for it, or for Puck in general. So what's your point?

Denial said:
That doesn't look like green hair to me, it looks like grey, if anything. I'll check on my other computer later to see if it's just this monitor (LCD seems to have less range than my CRT, or maybe it's just Windows' crappy color palette).
It is green...

Denial said:
So what's your point?
Schierke's hair is green, Puck's is blue and Evarella's is pink.

asmer said:
It is green...

Schierke's hair is green, Puck's is blue and Evarella's is pink.

You know, if you didn't insist on being dogmatic about it, I might respect your opinion and leave it at that. But you go and insult me because I don't agree with you. I've checked on two computers now and it's still more grey than anything else. It's certainly not "green" as in "more green than grey" or green as in "a plant" or green as in "a tennis ball" or green as in anything that is stereotypically green. I even ran this through the histogram function in photoshop and not surprisingly, there's pretty much equal amounts of red, blue, and green. Less than an eighth of a difference between the highest mean (G) and the lowest mean (R).

Red hues are the least prominent, appearing mostly in lower values. Greens stretch pretty consistently from mid to high values and so there's the most of them. Blue is mostly in the middle values, but has higher peaks than green does at any one point. Id est, while green consists of about 1/3 of all color (1/3 each of RGB making black/grey/white, depending on their values) where blue appears it tends to be more dominant than red or green is. That is to say, her hair has blue highlights. Which is no surprise. Blue highlights are used for grey haired people even more frequently than for black haired people.

I really don't understand how someone could feel insulted by Schierke's green hair, but anyway...

TCG Volume 1, Card 079/160:
079.jpg

TCG Volume 2, Card 22/64:
l_bk2_22.jpg

I thought you were talking about "standard colorizations", if so, I really think Schierke's hair should be green. ;)

I'd never seen those two latest cards. I can see where you're coming from with that, but then my question is, why is she grey haired in the other one?

My point is, overall, that I could care less about how they're colored in other situations. If Miura were doing this he can do what he wants, but he's not. I can show you tons of Guts pics where his face doesn't look like its does in the comic, SK with armor that doesn't look like it does in the comic, etc. Does it matter? No. Point being, not every image is gospel truth or even anything other than a stylized interpretation.

As a fan-based endeavor I think the goal should be not to recreate whatever's in Miura's mind for several reasons, not the least of which reason is that we don't know exactly what's in there. Fan projects should try to epitomize the collective fan-experience. I don't know anyone who I've shown it to who would suggest from their own uninfluenced mental images that Puck has blue hair or Shierke has green hair. I never saw it that way and don't know anyone who does.

I figured that'd be obvious when I referred to taking that little sucker Puck out. Just because Miura put him in there doesn't make the comic better for it, just like Star Wars Episode 1 wasn't better off for having Jar Jar Binks, and just like rainbow colored hair might not be the hottest idea since thermonuclear reactions.

(And please, no Puck defenders saying I'm 'wrong' to slam Puck. I'm 100% certain that I'd enjoy a more serious, better drawn character instead of Puck, and don't try to tell me I'm wrong because it's my opinion. Just like it's my opinion that rainbow colored haircolors are garish, silly-looking, and unbefitting of Berserk.)

She's not grey haired at all in the other one.  She's green haired.  Being slightly color blind must be a bitch huh?

Here's the cover to volume 25: http://www.skullknight.net/faq/section3/cover/25high.jpg
Oh look at that, more green hair.

(And please, no Puck defenders saying I'm 'wrong' to slam Puck. I'm 100% certain that I'd enjoy a more serious, better drawn character instead of Puck, and don't try to tell me I'm wrong because it's my opinion. Just like it's my opinion that rainbow colored haircolors are garish, silly-looking, and unbefitting of Berserk.)
Your opinion won't change how Berserk is written.  So enjoy the story, or write a fanfic without Puck in it and with hair colors that you see fit.

As a fan-based endeavor I think the goal should be not to recreate whatever's in Miura's mind for several reasons, not the least of which reason is that we don't know exactly what's in there. Fan projects should try to epitomize the collective fan-experience. I don't know anyone who I've shown it to who would suggest from their own uninfluenced mental images that Puck has blue hair or Shierke has green hair. I never saw it that way and don't know anyone who does.
The fans at these boards who do the colorings try to be as close to the anime or manga.  If Miura shows a character's clothes or hair a certain color then that's the way it is.  The hair and clothes are also the same color in both video games.  If your just looking at the black and white scans then of course you won't know what color is what because you haven't see the characters in color anywhere else.

That's why I'm not the only one saying her hair is green in that first pic, whereas you're the only one saying it's grey.

I don't get it. How does this not look green to you:
g_011.jpg

Given, it's not as bright as the other pics of her but it's still green nonetheless.

Denial said:
I did that with Photoshop. Apparently you don't know what a histogram is?

And what is wrong with you? What cant you just accept the fact is green? Do u want to write a complain to Muira to change his hair colour just because you dont like her hair to be green?

Live with it... If not then forget about reading Berserk...

And please show due respect for Lith and the rest of us because majority win ;)

I'm with Smith on this one. You shouldn't bash Berserk just because you think Miura's choice in colors suck. "The little witch has green hair, puck has blue hair. That's not what I thought. Oh no the story is ruined."

*shakes head*

I'm not bashing Berserk, I'm suggesting a fan colorization doesn't need to be sucking on Miura's teat. Whether you like it or not, fans are what make artwork stay alive. Intolerance to others' opinions and perspectives is pretty arrogant and a good way to make sure something dies a quick death. Shakespeare would not be around today if all anyone ever decided to do was replicate the original. Might as well not bother doing song covers or remixes, we just want to make something close to the original, right?
You can make snotty comments all you'd like about how I should go write fanfic according to my tastes, I guarantee you though if Shierke had a normal color hair we wouldn't have arguments with someone else going "I always thought she was green-haired!" 'cuz no sane person would think that. Every single human character has had normal hair colors up to Shierke, and no other character ever reacts to it with-- "Whoa, green hair!" or anything of the like. You know, though, if some crazy fangirl decided to color in a Shierke with green hair, I wouldn't care and I doubt you'd care either, 'cuz she can see things as she wants. If she wants a cutesy Berserk world, she's entitled to it. Apparently the suggestion that doing her hair in a color that would be most appealing to most Berserk fans (note that SK.net is not a representative majority) is a cardinal sin to you people, though.
Even f*cking biblical figures don't look the same in paintings. Get over it.

Well I am guessing these cards have probably all been confirmed on what color is what by Miura but I decided to check a more reliable source which is the cover of volume 25...

v25cover.jpg

Now I am half color blind but even I can tell that IT'S GREEN!!!

I can pull up Puck pics where his hair aint blue and Griffith pics where his hair aint white. The very fact that you're trying to convince me with pictures means you're missing my point entirely. I'm done with talking past yall.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Denial said:
I'm not bashing Berserk, I'm suggesting a fan colorization doesn't need to be sucking on Miura's teat. Whether you like it or not, fans are what make artwork stay alive. (..snip..) Apparently the suggestion that doing her hair in a color that would be most appealing to most Berserk fans (note that SK.net is not a representative majority) is a cardinal sin to you people, though.

Yes fans keep it alive, and in this instance the fans doing the fancolors just happen to like sticking close to Miura's intentions. If it bugs you that much, just go paint it back over brown on your copy. I don't understand people who shout that everyone should be able to do what they want, while being pissed off that some people are already doing what they want.

How about we argue what color Shierke's hair is *after* we actually have anything like a colorizing team? There's just zero point to all this strife over a purely hypothetical fan effort. And being digital colors, it's easy enough to change them at any stage anyway.

But deciding that Shierke's hair shouldn't be green or that Isidoro/Puck shouldn't be in the story or that Guts's name should really be Gatts cause Guts is silly.. these are all just fan taste issues, and there are still many fans that (OMG the horror) just enjoy Berserk the way Miura does it. IMO it's a safer bet to stick with canon as much as possible and let the fans who don't like it bitch, just like they bitch at Miura. Bitching isn't bad. It's part of the fan experience. So go ahead and hate her green hair! But it's still green.

Top Bottom