Chitch: The Flower Sprite

Now that we're on Elfhelm, a paradise for the elves and other astral fantasy creatures, do you think Guts' encounter with Chitch will be relevant or at least brought up soon? It's odd that the 2-episode flashback of Guts' past and his encounter with Chitch suddenly cut into the Fantasia Arc. In my opinion, the plot could really do without it (don't get me wrong, I loved it and it made me very emotional). It did give us more character background for Guts, his first encounter with and a reason for his affinity with spirits, but I can't help but think there's more to it than that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The little flashback with Chich, which lasted three episodes (not two), serves the purpose you mentioned: it gave us more character background for Guts, showing his first encounter with an elf and explaining why he was so cold and uneasy with Puck when they first met. It also subtly introduced a new type of elf, paving the way for the large variety of them shown in Elfhelm.

I don't expect it to be brought up again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, the plot could really do without it (don't get me wrong, I loved it and it made me very emotional).

I don't think Berserk would be better off if Miura focused every single episode on just the main story line. Big events need room to breathe, and delving into a previously unknown part of Guts' past that involves elves seems like the perfect trailer for their arrival in Elfhelm to me. Also, it featured Gambino, someone I never thought we'd see again. Come on!

To go into specifics though, it's also relevant because it gives us a window into a time when Guts had something to fight for, and that gives him courage. Guts had to return Chich's flower to the grove so she can be reunited with her friends. He had something to protect, and that's what sharpened his fighting spirit. The fact that he ended up failing to protect her is of course in part likely what led to him his whole "weak things make me puke" line when he first met Puck. Speaking of which, his meeting with Chich is precisely like the scene in which Puck helps Guts in the cell, and I cannot imagine that's by accident.

Finally, there's something that's woven throughout this story that's related to Guts' personality development. We see him here at an age with inherent vulnerability, both emotional and physical. He's not yet the powerhouse he'd become, and he's also still searching for a place to call home. This is of course after Gambino attempted to kill him, Guts has been wandering alone, and it's before he found a family with the Falcons. Guts is a good person at heart, but the world has started to make him hard. He trusts Martino, and is betrayed. But bonding with Chich makes him open up, and for a moment, we're seeing a very rare side of Guts, unencumbered by the usual weight on his shoulders. And then that, too, is stripped away by the end. All of which prepares him for his encounter with the Falcons.

It also subtly introduced a new type of elf, paving the way for the large variety of them shown in Elfhelm.

This is also my takeaway in terms of these episodes' broader relevance to the story. But to elaborate, Chich is of a variety of elf whose power is tied to a particular plant. I can't help but feel there's some meaning there, whether it'll be the Sovereign herself whose power is tied to Elfhelm's spiritual tree (my first thought upon first seeing this aspect of Chich, but that hasn't manifested yet), or maybe something even more broad.

Last edited:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I honestly thought it served a number of purposes for the current plot, all chronicled here, and was a nice little aside in any case; both nostalgic and relevant to current events. I don't think it will be so jarring a digression once the big picture is (more) complete.

Delving into parts of Guts' past yet unexplored by the Golden Age I did appreciate, no doubt. And the way it complements Guts' characterization in his earlier interactions with Puck (and even the Falcons, like Walter said) is fantastic. Though what leads me to believe that these 3 episodes (thanks Aazealh for the correction) will become somewhat relevant in the upcoming events is the timing in which Miura decided to insert this flashback (already this far into the story and their journey to Elfhelm). Though it could really just be Miura wanting to give a breather from the present events back then.

Chich is of a variety of elf whose power is tied to a particular plant. I can't help but feel there's some meaning there, whether it'll be the Sovereign herself whose power is tied to Elfhelm's spiritual tree
I haven't thought of this before, it'd be cool if this ended up being the case. This is the level of connection/relevance to the present I am expecting from the flashback to be honest. I imagine that this could also serve as a limitation towards Danan, restricting her to a certain distance from the giant tree where she resides.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Though it could really just be Miura wanting to give a breather from the present events back then.

At the time Miura said he had always wanted to show a bit of Guts' life between the fateful night of Gambino's death and his meeting with the Band of the Falcon.

I haven't thought of this before, it'd be cool if this ended up being the case. This is the level of connection/relevance to the present I am expecting from the flashback to be honest. I imagine that this could also serve as a limitation towards Danan, restricting her to a certain distance from the giant tree where she resides.

This is almost guaranteed to be the case. I would bet on it. It's also worth noting that we first discussed this back in 2012 when episode 329 was released.

At the time Miura said he had always wanted to show a bit of Guts' life between the fateful night of Gambino's death and his meeting with the Band of the Falcon.
Oh wow, then the Chich flashback is a multiple-hits-in-one-stone in Miura's part.

This is almost guaranteed to be the case. I would bet on it. It's also worth noting that we first discussed this back in 2012 when episode 329 was released.
Maybe it's also the reason why Griffith hasn't started attacking Elfhelm yet. Since it wouldn't be wise to fight Danan near her power/life source (or rather, it would be wiser to fight when she's at a disadvantage). Now I speculate that Griffith is aiming for a situation that will force Danan to go far from her tree.

I'm not sure we will see any direct confrontation between Griffith and Danan. There's been no indication that he even knows she exists, and she has not made any offensive movements that we know of. There's been no indication that he is actively pursuing Guts and crew. And he has no need to destroy any more of the great trees. The only strategic reason I can think of for him to attack the island is to destroy a potential future enemy. However, I think this likely to be low on his priority list given his activities destroying actual enemies marauding across the landscape (i.e. the giants). Presumably there are more such threats to his posture as the protector of humanity.

Top Bottom