Episode 358

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Historically, the boy only has appeared when there was imminent danger to his parents (3 times: beach, island, and in the sea god) . But they're in Elfhelm now, with no threat in sight, surrounded by the most powerful magic users alive. I wonder what that portends...

Would the Skull Knight and/or the gurus try something then? Maybe an attack in that "weakened" form? Revealing the boy's nature and prompting serious tension with Casca... And what would Guts do? Lots of possibilities...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Would the Skull Knight and/or the gurus try something then? Maybe an attack in that "weakened" form? Revealing the boy's nature and prompting serious tension with Casca... And what would Guts do? Lots of possibilities...

I love it. Casca steps in front of the boy to protect, and Guts sees both sides, and has to choose (to protect or to avenge). :sad:

Historically, the boy only has appeared when there was imminent danger to his parents (3 times: beach, island, and in the sea god) . But they're in Elfhelm now, with no threat in sight, surrounded by the most powerful magic users alive. I wonder what that portends...

Maybe Casca will attempt suicide and he'll show up to save her and talk her out of it.

I love it. Casca steps in front of the boy to protect, and Guts sees both sides, and has to choose (to protect or to avenge). :sad:

A fight between Guts and skull knight, huh? That'd be pretty damn intense. Guts would end up losing a powerful ally if he wins.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Now for the speculating... I agree that the fact that the moon was full on the night the Moonlight Child appeared is incredibly significant. Along with what Aaz and Walter were saying, perhaps Griffith is overcome by the Moonlight Child whenever the moon is full, transforming into what Casca and Guts' child might have been like if he was left untainted by Femto. He could possibly have wandered off, instinctively drawn to his parents (afterall, Griffith is camped near Vritannis, so he'd be in the area), with Zodd simply keeping an eye on him and making sure he doesn't wander too far or get into any trouble (although he probably wouldn't be in mortal danger, being a Superior Being and all).
Whoa, new age werewolf. :beast: It's indeed quite plausible, great supposition. The ocean is a bit restrictive, but the full moon element would work perfectly.

We nailed it. :badbone:

It wasn't the revelation I was expecting, but it's a another great cliff-hanger before heading back to Guts and company (I'm assuming that's what's going to happen, but who knows?).

If the story does return to Guts and Casca on the island, it's possible that the boy will sense Casca's distress and arrive to help her, much like he's helped Guts when he loses himself to the Berserk's armor. I'd always pictured Farnese and Schierke helping Casca work through her trauma, but maybe her own son will?

Are we heading towards an ending where the only way to Kill/Banish Griffith (a virtual God on earth) is to kill the MoonLight child in corporeal form? Throwback to Buffy the Vampire slayer season 5, which also ended that way.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Are we heading towards an ending where the only way to Kill/Banish Griffith (a virtual God on earth) is to kill the MoonLight child in corporeal form? Throwback to Buffy the Vampire slayer season 5, which also ended that way.

I think that's the first thing Guts will think of (with conflicting emotions, of course), but there's no way Casca will let that happen. I think the Moonlight Boy's presence within Griffith will factor in, but I think they're going to have to find another way that ensures their child's safety.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I'd always pictured Farnese and Schierke helping Casca work through her trauma, but maybe her own son will?

Casca is now sane so that is a very big difference compared to past Moonlight Boy interaction. if things are moving this fast, then id like to see the boy talk this time around, or at least have the transformation explained, is the boy really just a boy? Who's really steering the vessel in the boy form? and what is that experience like for the boy, being trapped in Femtos body.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Casca is now sane so that is a very big difference compared to past Moonlight Boy interaction. if things are moving this fast, then id like to see the boy talk this time around, or at least have the transformation explained, is the boy really just a boy? whos steering that vessel?

True, but the trauma related to the Eclipse still resides in her heart, and there's more work to be done before she can truly be at peace with what happened. Plus, we don't know if her encounter with Guts caused her to regress, however slightly.

As for the boy, he communicated with Guts psychically inside the Sea God, so we know he's capable of communicating in some form. It'll be interesting to see if he can physically speak or not, but I'm betting he can.

I think the boy is steering when he's not Griffith. It remains to be seen if Griffith can re-exert control in some fashion, though, since we've seen the boy influence Griffith before on the Hill of Swords.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I think you might have answered my question rhombaad:ganishka: (its kind of obvious thinking back)

They probably just influence each other, however slight it may be. If that's the case, then it's sad to think that the boy is aware even when he's not in control. what a sad life, maybe to Griffith (Femto), the boy is something like a conscious?

Last edited:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I think you might have answered my question rhombaad:ganishka: (its kind of obvious thinking back)

Happy to help! :serpico:

They probably just influence each other, however slight it may be. If that's the case, then it's sad to think that the boy is aware even when he's not in control. what a sad life, maybe to Griffith (Femto), the boy is something like a conscious?

It's hard to know the full extent of each other's influence at this point in the story. I think Griffith knew on the Hill of Swords that what he was experiencing weren't his own feelings, so I don't think the boy acts as his conscience. It's more like an alien presence that can influence him without his permission. I suspect it works the other way, too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
We nailed it. :badbone:

We sure did! :guts:

it's a another great cliff-hanger before heading back to Guts and company (I'm assuming that's what's going to happen, but who knows?).

Yeah that's what I'm expecting as well. Wouldn't make sense to stay in Falconia after that. And again, this is in line with my expectations. This short switch to Griffith's side made for a clever interlude to let some time elapse after Guts & Casca's reunion. Now it's going to be a real family reunion! :schnoz:

Are we heading towards an ending where the only way to Kill/Banish Griffith (a virtual God on earth) is to kill the MoonLight child in corporeal form?

Doubtful, although that may be an option that some people are willing to consider, as I said above.

If the God Hand manifest in their true forms, as a result of a further merging of the worlds, Femto may not even need the Moonlight Boy in the future. We still don't know for sure if destroying Griffiths body would kill Femto.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! Just purchased my copy of it. Hakusensha doing same-day digital releases now is so convenient and great.

Indeed, it's the best. Can't stress enough how happy I am that with it.

Sorry, guess I'm behind on the forums past discoveries.:farnese:

Don't sweat it man, better late than never! :guts:
In fact, it must be all the better for you haha, just how blown is your mind right now? :isidro:
Anyway, do go ahead and read up on those old posts and if you've got any questions, I'll gladly help.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I think Griff (our Griff) in a Skullkast once said something like "it would be awkward if Griffith transformed while in bed with Charlotte" and that pretty much happened. :ganishka:

Even my bad jokes contain sound speculations. :carcus:

Anyway, it looks like this return to Griffith's POV could just be a minor diversion setting up a more intense reunion with Guts & Casca, and I love bringing Skully back to the forefront of our minds too. The layers to Griffith's double lives are fantastic as he champions rebuilding Gaiseric's Empire while secretly being in direct conflict with him, and of course the mess with Griffith/the Moonlight Boy and his parents. Can't wait to learn more about the nature of this transformation and who's in control, when, and to what end.

Hopefully he won't turn back into Griffith while in bed with mom and dad because a cloud floats in front of the moon or something. :ganishka:

I think I'll torture myself a bit more and wait for my Young Animal copy to arrive next week (it has been shipped today !).
After reading Miura's interview where he mentioned that the first real duel against Griffith was approaching... I'm even more excited about what's coming next.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of things to say about this episode. Falconia's architecture never ceases to amaze me for example. The throne room and corridor leading to it are pretty crazy. That feather-like pavement is almost disturbing. I also can't help but wonder what these were like originally, when Gaiseric's capital city was built. I could very well see them being close in design to the rooms we saw in the witches' village on Skellig or in Flora's mansion.

Unrelated but I also find it strange that Griffith's speech in the top panel of page 8 has a different font than the rest of the text. Editing mistake? Last minute fix? Just a bit odd. In it he talks about the plan for orphans, which is to have them be protected by the state until they're 10 years old.

I think I'll torture myself a bit more and wait for my Young Animal copy to arrive next week (it has been shipped today !).

The online edition costs 324 yens. That's 2,61 euros. Why not get both? :carcus: That's what I do. :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of things to say about this episode. Falconia's architecture never ceases to amaze me for example. The throne room and corridor leading to it are pretty crazy. That feather-like pavement is almost disturbing.

I got a rather vaginal vibe (my new alt-rock band) from the passageways. And that's more like the business/meeting room than the throne room, I think.

Top Bottom