What Are You Playing?

I beat Persona 4 Golden and thought it was alright. Didnt really like the addition of Marie. Hoping Persona 5 Royal won't suffer the same fate.

Also just dropped 50$ on Chrono Trigger. Hope it's good.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Tried a modern Call of Duty game (Black Ops III) my brother-in-law lent me... Couldn't get past the military recruitment vibe of it. I get the same feeling with Madden NFL games, just not where my escapism lies.

Started Uncharted 4 as well, which is fun enough, though I think there's already been like four time jumps and I've only played like an hour or two, so that's exhausting. A Thiefs' End? How about pick a beginning!

Also got the latest Tomb Raider for father's day, and it started you off, after another time jump, climbing and shit immediately, which was a welcome change, before regressing by making me walk around Mexico to go talk to some guy. Maybe later, so I turned that off and...

...returned to Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows, because I never finished Plague Knight's quest. Finally, some real action! It's not the easieat character to pick back up since his movements are either limited or throw you all across the screen, but after many deaths on the latter stages I got used to him enough to reach the final boss. We'll see how that goes tonight. Good to play the Wii U again and leave everyone else otherwise occupied with the TV. =)

I've finally received my Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night PS4 today ! Updating right now... can't wait to play it.

I got my Switch copy with the holographic backer sleeve yesterday. I really regret getting this version but I didn’t have a PS4 back when we had to commit to our choice of platform.

Finished Dark Souls 2. I think I've bitched about it enough.

So I'll just say, I really enjoyed Ivory King for the most part. It felt the closest to what i love about Dark Souls. Nashandra was kind of cool. I do really think I'll enjoy this game a lot more the second time around.

But because these guys have a pure and absolute hook on my life, I cannot escape, I started playing them all again, in order as they came out and ending with my first playthrough of Sekiro. I'm almost done Demon's Souls already though.

It's been a lot of fun playing on Yuvi's server, which is actually pretty active and functions a hell of a lot better than the actual servers did when I was playing them (which didn't work 90% of the time until they decided to fix them right before they closed them down wtf).

Also started playing my old Fallout 4 game I had going until my graphics card on my PC shit the bed. I think I'm pretty close to done that game anyways considering I'm level 102 and everything is easy mode even on very hard.

Griffith

Finished Plague of Shadows. A fine, charming finish as expected; man, I love this game, and there's still another expansion to come. My favorite game from 2014 that's still going. Well, co-favorite of 2014, speaking of which...

Finished Dark Souls 2. I think I've bitched about it enough.

So I'll just say, I really enjoyed Ivory King for the most part. It felt the closest to what i love about Dark Souls. Nashandra was kind of cool. I do really think I'll enjoy this game a lot more the second time around.

Sorta! On the bright side The New Game+ is different enough to be more than a harder replay, plus there's always bonfire ascetics to ramp it up ala carte.

But because these guys have a pure and absolute hook on my life, I cannot escape, I started playing them all again, in order as they came out and ending with my first playthrough of Sekiro. I'm almost done Demon's Souls already though.

A man after my own heart. I need to replay Demon's Souls myself... or man up and struggle my way through the NG+ I wasn't ready to start! :puck:

It's been a lot of fun playing on Yuvi's server, which is actually pretty active and functions a hell of a lot better than the actual servers did when I was playing them

What's this? Someone hosting third party Souls servers!?

Also started playing my old Fallout 4 game I had going until my graphics card on my PC shit the bed. I think I'm pretty close to done that game anyways considering I'm level 102 and everything is easy mode even on very hard.

For starting out trying to bypass the BS and get through it I ended up putting a lot of time into that game (it's the best way really), but I don't know if that's to the credit of the game's actual depth or the lengths I went to trying to find depth, or create it if I had to (I basically tried remaking the world in the image I saw fit that the parameters of the story didn't really allow).

I got my Switch copy with the holographic backer sleeve yesterday. I really regret getting this version but I didn’t have a PS4 back when we had to commit to our choice of platform.
I backed the signed collector's edition back in 2015, but I didn't received my signed slipcase yet. I'll certainly get it in August with the rest.
Yesterday I stopped right before the final boss. Very nice game, the soundtrack is excellent too.
But to me it doesn't reach the level of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Judo

Midlands finest
I've sunk about 200hrs in Monster Hunter world by now and the grind was very addicting for a while but the endgame is getting pretty tedious. I don't think I wanna start all this Master Rank-stuff from scratch when they release Iceborne.
The main problem is that the combat itself is so clunky. You mostly feel like a small lump of clay that has to fight a giant, angry squirrell.

I think I'll play a new character-questline in Divinity: Original Sin 2 next. I kinda stumbeled through my first game and the story has a lot of replay-value.

Griffith

Yesterday I stopped right before the final boss. Very nice game, the soundtrack is excellent too.
But to me it doesn't reach the level of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Not on the level of SotN can still be really damn good! So is it on par with the best of the genre or just sort of in the pack of average/good?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Chrono Trigger during my lunch break today. It was one of the most solidly made JRPGs I’ve played. I can’t recommend it enough to those who haven’t experienced it yet. I received the standard ending, but I plan on playing it again one day to get the rest of them, as well as complete the bestiary, get all the artwork, play the additional dungeons, etc. via NG+. For now, it’s on to Mega Man 7!

Griffith

I finished Chrono Trigger during my lunch break today. It was one of the most solidly made JRPGs I’ve played. I can’t recommend it enough to those who haven’t experienced it yet. I received the standard ending, but I plan on playing it again one day to get the rest of them

Your appreciation of it will only grow. One of the most successful dream team/collaborations ever. Mario RPG was a winner in this regard too. Also, Chrono Cross is probably an underrated classic in its own right, maligned for being so unrecognizable from its predecessor (but the connections are there, deep down). If you're really hardcore you'll play Radical Dreamers too!

For now, it’s on to Mega Man 7!

FYI, if the new style isn't your cup of tea, there's a fan created 8-bit restoration to classic Mega Man style! :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Your appreciation of it will only grow. One of the most successful dream team/collaborations ever. Mario RPG was a winner in this regard too. Also, Chrono Cross is probably an underrated classic in its own right, maligned for being so unrecognizable from its predecessor (but the connections are there, deep down). If you're really hardcore you'll play Radical Dreamers too!

Both of them are on my list, and I’m looking forward to each. I never felt an aversion to playing Chrono Cross because of its dissimilarities to Chrono Trigger, I just never got around to playing it. I had all the FMVs on my PC at one time in the late 90s, though, hehe.

I probably will end up playing Radical Dreamers before Chrono Cross. I’m a completionist. :void:

FYI, if the new style isn't your cup of tea, there's a fan created 8-bit restoration to classic Mega Man style! :carcus:

Thanks for the heads up!

Not on the level of SotN can still be really damn good! So is it on par with the best of the genre or just sort of in the pack of average/good?
Don't get me wrong, Bloodstained is a great game !
It's just that I was expecting the equal of SotN, but hey, I guess it's very hard to top this game.
So, I've finished it yesterday and I definitely recommend it.
I'm at 99,70% of the map... Got to find those last 0,30% today. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I finished Chrono Trigger during my lunch break today. It was one of the most solidly made JRPGs I’ve played. I can’t recommend it enough to those who haven’t experienced it yet. I received the standard ending, but I plan on playing it again one day to get the rest of them, as well as complete the bestiary, get all the artwork, play the additional dungeons, etc. via NG+.

This is so exciting to read! I'm so jealous of this journey of discovery you're on. CT is truly one of the best of all time, and I have so many great memories of it.

Chrono Cross... It'd have been better off with a different title, maybe even "Radical Dreamers 2" :troll: because the expectations it sets up with that big ass clock C in the title don't do it any favors.

For now, it’s on to Mega Man 7!

I TAKE IT ALL BACK! Fall back! FALL BACK!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
This is so exciting to read! I'm so jealous of this journey of discovery you're on. CT is truly one of the best of all time, and I have so many great memories of it.

Thanks, man! I’m having a great time. I played a lot of Chrono Trigger in the 90s via emulation, so I was pretty familiar with it already, but most of these other titles have been new to me. (I miss EarthBound...)

Haha, I know it has a bad reputation, but I’m having a good time with it so far. It’s not the best Mega Man game I’ve played, but it’s fun.

Reading this thread, it makes me want to play Chrono Trigger again. I was obsessed with that game so much as a kid (and for good reason). Still is by far one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

What's this? Someone hosting third party Souls servers!?

Yes!

Seriously, when I first got into Demon's Souls, the main servers just got worse and worse. I'd rarely connect properly, the game would lock up frequently and there'd be massive sound glitches that could only be fixed by quitting and restarted. It was awful and for some reason they only bothered fixing it when they announced they'd be shutting them down. Like, wtf?

Yuvi's server is fantastic. I seen people everywhere all the time. There's messages everywhere and I even got invaded in 3-1. It's pretty damn active for an old game on a private server honestly. Makes me happy hah.

Also, he has custom world tendency that you can choose by laying a specific message and restarting your game. So you can hit up pure white/black or make it neutral without the bullshit if you feel like.

They also do server events now and then. Quite cool.

Don't get me wrong, Bloodstained is a great game !
It's just that I was expecting the equal of SotN, but hey, I guess it's very hard to top this game.
So, I've finished it yesterday and I definitely recommend it.
I'm at 99,70% of the map... Got to find those last 0,30% today. :guts:

I’ve been playing it the last few days (by other means so that my first impression of the game isn’t ruined by the inexcusably bad Switch version) and I’m really enjoying it. The thing that bothers me the most so far is that it could still use some visual tuning. Cutscenes are janky and some areas look like they applied a blinn shader on everything.

OST is great though and I look forward to getting my CD with the rest of my backer goodies.

Griffith

Chrono Cross... It'd have been better off with a different title, maybe even "Radical Dreamers 2" :troll: because the expectations it sets up with that big ass clock C in the title don't do it any favors.

And it doesn't even try to meet them, or seemingly know that it should. It's really its own thing, and a product of its time for better or, mostly, worse: a PS1 RPG with jagged polygons, ugly textures, and lots of FMV to compensate. Still, it's probably my game of the year then. I appreciated the combat and multitude of characters and their, um, variations. I did like some of the abstract ways it tied back to the original, like the dragons, but it ultimately felt like something completely different with some Chrono Trigger lore tacked on. If they were going to do a true sequel to CT it should have been by reuniting the same dream team, even on a new IP.

Hey man, I agree with you, but I say it out of love, and that's just going too far. It's not THAT bad! Now, Mega Man 8 on the other hand... :magni:

Yuvi's server is fantastic. I seen people everywhere all the time. There's messages everywhere and I even got invaded in 3-1. It's pretty damn active for an old game on a private server honestly. Makes me happy hah.

Also, he has custom world tendency that you can choose by laying a specific message and restarting your game. So you can hit up pure white/black or make it neutral without the bullshit if you feel like.

They also do server events now and then. Quite cool.

Hmmm, fascinating, maybe I should sign back on to Demon's Souls and check it out while its still hot. Anything I should know about getting set up, or what to watch out for/avoid?

Last edited:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I beat Mega Man 7 and Donkey Kong Land over the weekend. MM7 wasn't nearly as bad as I'd heard. I actually had a good time playing it, for the most part. That last boss, though...

I played DKL back when it first came out in 1995 on the original Game Boy. It was much harder with the green screen, since it's already pretty tough to see what's going on at times in black and white. I had fun, though. It felt very nostalgic to play some of those levels again, all these years later.

Next up is one I'm really excited for... Yoshi's Island!

Hmmm, fascinating, maybe I should sign back on to Demon's Souls and check it out while its still hot. Anything I should know about getting set up, or what to watch out for/avoid?

You really should! I've had a great time with it.

I suggest checking out the Demon's Souls subreddit. There's a couple threads at the top that explain everything you need to know.

The rough gist is you just need to change your DNS settings to connect. Very simple. And to change the world tendency, all you need to do is lay down a specific message in game and restart it. Though I suggest doing it in the Nexus if you intend to. That way the changes will be there when you head into whatever world.

Having all the pure white NPCs has made the game a little more interesting for me story wise. Never met Scirvir before now!

Griffith

I may have to fire up Demon's Souls again because I'm trying several games and nothing is taking. In addition to the ones I mentioned before, Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider 3, I also fired up Call of Cthulhu, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Blaster Master 0, and even a re-release of Doom/Duke 3D clone BLOOD! Bloodstained probably did the most for me, but the whole aesthetic doesn't pull me in like a bad CV game would. They needed to copy SotN even harder, like only change the names and scenario slightly (ok, check on that last point); just reverse Alucard's name or something. ;)

OMG Blaster Master 0 pissed me off. The original intro was a memorabe novelty that lasted like 30 seconds, this update goes on for minutes of terrible exposition and dialogue trying to world build and actually explain everything with an unwelcome anime makeover. This was also translated to the game itself where your dude will stop the action to spout some really boring, obvious and redundant shit to feign plot development. No thanks, I preferred when the plot was your frog jumped on a radioactive box and then in a big hole that had a futuristic tank and whole underworld in it for some reason. The less said, the better. =)

Blaster Master 0-2 looks pretty rad though.

But maybe it's time to finally give The Last of Us its due. It might be the best game I have that I haven't played.

But maybe it's time to finally give The Last of Us its due. It might be the best game I have that I haven't played.

You’ll hate it. :troll:

I’m finally getting into MGS5, which so far is pretty fantastic when I’m not dealing with anything MOTHER BASE related. Once I got rockets and C-4 I pretty much consider myself done with the place. The open world areas and missions are great, and the rest feels very bolt-on.
Also not in love with Kiefer as Big Boss, but oh well. He doesn’t talk much.

Griffith

You’ll hate it. :troll:
Yes. Play it on the hardest difficulty available. It makes the game almost unrivaled. Top 5 for me.
Explain.

I’m finally getting into MGS5, which so far is pretty fantastic when I’m not dealing with anything MOTHER BASE related. Once I got rockets and C-4 I pretty much consider myself done with the place. The open world areas and missions are great, and the rest feels very bolt-on.
Also not in love with Kiefer as Big Boss, but oh well. He doesn’t talk much.

It's really good, and a shame it's incomplete and that Kojima's Hollywood pretensions got the better of him with Sutherland (you won't mind so much by the end though). I think I enjoyed Mother Base more than you are, especially when you start screwing around driving jeeps into stuff and invading other people's bases to steal nukes n' shit, but yeah the game is out in the world, single-handedly taking out airports, etc.

Top Bottom