What Are You Playing?

BiQ_

" ... "
This isn't actually what I'm playing but somehow I managed to miss the western release of Collection of Mana until just few days ago... And I just got it delivered.

And I don't even own a switch. But seeing how many enjoyable hours I wasted on fan-translated SD3 on emulator back in my high school years, I figured paying for the game at least now is proper. If I had time for videogames, this would SO have been a system-seller for me.

And Walter's criticism of the game's warts are resonating vividly in my memories too. I think I ended up just giving up on even trying to do melee and just making sure I always had Angela on some role to keep spamming magic and heals later in game.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
:ganishka: This was incredible. Are you normally that focused on collectibles, or does Crash just *do it for you*?

It depends on the game. If it seems do-able, I'll try to get 100% on a game, but if it reaches a point of "what the fuck am I doing with my life?" I'll stop. I'm supposed to be enjoying myself, after all. :void:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I also beat Mass Effect for the first time last week after a long break from gaming; that was a really fun game and story.

YOU'RE INDOCTRINATED!

So I quit Uncharted because it was boring and tried Last of Us... only to discover its interface is EXACTLY like Uncharted (also Naughty Dog, ok)! So, started up GTA5 again for like the third time, but the first time on PS4, and after waiting for it to download, load, and reload again (who puts a download-stopping screen brightness adjustment screen in the middle of a download!?) I was back in the crime game. It's like getting back into Red Dead but with cars, and the plot, for what I'd seen of it so far, amuses and intrigues me, so we'll see if I can stick with it this time or at least not lose all my progress in an HD crash like the first time. God the hud text and shit is tiny, though! The little directions in the corners of a giant moving metropolis is like playing a regular game with the console turned on all the time. Just drive me to the next shooting gallery, please!

Harry Potter and Philosopher's Stone on PS2 emulator, playing for very nostalgic reasons. Buying this specific game would be too hard in my country, even if available it would be very expensive. I've played second game which was working on this graphics engine and I see the first one look just as atmospheric as I've imagined with pretty much the same gameplay.

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
I got The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind from Steam last week. I installed some mods to make it more enjoyable but keeping it vanilla. I'm really enjoying it, it was a great buy.
I already finished Oblivion some years ago and I'm saving money on the side to buy Skyrim once and for all (before Steam removes the argentinian peso, it's getting more complicated here).

So, yeah.

So I quit Uncharted because it was boring and tried Last of Us... only to discover its interface is EXACTLY like Uncharted (also Naughty Dog, ok)!

Give The Last Of Us another chance, I'm not a playstation user but that game is great. Well, for me it was.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I got The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind from Steam last week. I installed some mods to make it more enjoyable but keeping it vanilla. I'm really enjoying it, it was a great buy.
I already finished Oblivion some years ago and I'm saving money on the side to buy Skyrim once and for all (before Steam removes the argentinian peso, it's getting more complicated here).

So, yeah.
Speaking as a guy who has played the last 3 Elder Scroll games and just could never really get into them, I have one question: What the hell am I actually supposed to do with all these forks, parchments, and cheese wheels littered throughout the crypts the game funnels me through?

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Speaking as a guy who has played the last 3 Elder Scroll games and just could never really get into them, I have one question: What the hell am I actually supposed to do with all these forks, parchments, and cheese wheels littered throughout the crypts the game funnels me through?

I feel you. I'm not quite sure but I think the Luck skill has something to do with it. I think that if you level-up your Luck skill you will find more valuable loot. I could be wrong.

Edit: Oh, and if you are interested in some good stuff, check this out

Nevermind the title, check out the mods, they make the game so much better and accessible without changing it drastically.

(There is a multiplayer mod too that could be interesting. Playing all the quests with friends? Hell yes!)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I started playing Chrono Trigger again on my DS Lite. Holy SHIT that screen is tiny after I've gotten used to the Switch in portable mode. My eyes can barely read the text. It's a great version (probably the best)of a great game, and playing it on this system has made me remember that the build quality on the Lite is absolutely incredible, particularly as I'm playing a 14 year old system at this point. Unfortunately, Nintendo does not make them like they used to. :judo: Because I cannot imagine how the Switch will feel after a decade of use. Those joycons felt wobbly and flimsy from day 1.

I started playing Chrono Trigger again on my DS Lite. Holy SHIT that screen is tiny after I've gotten used to the Switch in portable mode. My eyes can barely read the text. It's a great version (probably the best)of a great game, and playing it on this system has made me realize the build quality on the Lite is absolutely incredible, particularly as I'm playing a 14 year old system at this point. Unfortunately, Nintendo does not make them like they used to. :judo: Because I cannot imagine how the Switch will feel after a decade of use. Those joycons felt wobbly and flimsy from day 1.

I was surprised as well when I played again to Final Fantasy VI Advance few weeks ago... The screen felt so tiny. It would be cool if Nintendo could re-release it on the Switch.
But fuck, I agree with you on Chrono Trigger DS, it's the best version out there.

I bought Blasphemous on Switch last week. I've finished it at 100% yesterday.
Pretty good game, it feels like a mix of Castlevania, Dark Souls, Nosferatu (the snes game).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Marathon Infinity over the weekend. I had fun playing it, but it wasn't as good as Marathon 2: Durandal. Overall, I really enjoyed the Marathon trilogy. Bungie was talented, even back then.

Next up is Tomb Raider (1996)! I've never played it (or any of the other Tomb Raider games), so I'm really looking forward to it.

Hey guys, well its not video game related but I'm an avid Warhammer 40,000 player. I've been really enjoying the 8th edition of the game. It went through a dark period previous to this but the game is bigger and better than ever. For those who dont know its a tabletop war game where you build and paint your own models. Here are mine below:

1AZ11LIY4HFNjLRRGTuuoyw5BdRu2fuZyW1FzrPEEpU21vQLbs-U-xdQgBCbSpSWkPXpdHJe8DMURkUZsCSVzeoww8RSRhO6BUVIybx5C-j49uSwl7BnZwCouOvZeuPDZOgKcneCj8HrN1kLg32Qmzc_TC0mKpAgSFuc4np2H-Od4mzohXja9IF4eXyjzG5bOnLxuXLo30YJFd1GAWqpnEEVnH8lc5pQghOYp4JTXGyAiozjtA13yRLp5ujSDc7DwcsmDT1s9EGZt4WcPU20gwQAw6iGP_EjU8rQ_FazsgatWv6KbutFJLUBHHh6T5LQurB5itXOL5rgeXkhxtm7pY6Pe7hW7_UpTGGk-uRoyBHVqKttse1D-b7lekhvEJ6LtuvoxXebMYhOdCCqz2SSa02hMh5ier8UD2G_GPaRNotxvFnS1JOvfq-k4bLAFdbdjHv8dow9MFyNYAYA77WBZvjVtfdKZLbBqjCIIOO1PGxVL2xTn6SdCky1k4bV4ekK4saDdjC8B0_9aHQHZP3fPEqNeb04yYLbPNi2MZD1SxT4IWKovYppuZfrIt_NzFoIGNFmFsHtugClFubxZblRIUecPREJOED_7bW3IBcT__51dMB4VrKDbUNXnZFtH6f8bJNqwlJhuusjySQ2baiqDX-ZXBL7WLyCZKuZ5L688yvklntyg0xIFA=w719-h476-no

If you didn't know the game (which launched in the mid-late 80's) has taken some pretty pretty big inspiration from Berserk. The character Fulgrim is pretty much a total ripoff (and a poor one) of Griffith and I believe, the "god/goddess" of excess and debauchery "Slaanesh" was inspired by Slann though it could be a reference to A.E. Vogt book.

Anyway the game is absolutley fantastic and one of the reasons I play video games somewhat sparingly these days. Any of you guys play 40k?

I suffered a second concussion during boxing training and I'm afraid for neurological problems in the future (also absorbed a lot of sub concussive blows).

Apparantly video games can help with preventing neurological diseases and reversing tbi (traumatic brain injury). Games that are recommended include tetris (which I'm currently playing a lot), break out, frogger and donkey kong (not country, but the one where you play as jumpman). So real old school stuff.

I wonder if games like devil may cry, where you have to display quick reflexes and fast hand eye coordination are also benificial.

Anyway, tetris for me, some tekken with a friend and also finishing mgs2 again because yolo. Love the first 3 games with 1 as my all time fav. Part 4 almost ruined gaming for me.

After mgs2 I'm planning to finally try the berserk dc game!

I suffered a second concussion during boxing training and I'm afraid for neurological problems in the future (also absorbed a lot of sub concussive blows).
I'm sorry to hear that, with sports and martial arts (especially brutal ones like boxing and endurance) there is always the risk of injury if you really try to improve, and if you're unlucky it can even be debilitating, so take care.

After mgs2 I'm planning to finally try the berserk dc game!
It's a good game, lets you do some pretty cool stuff as the Black Swordsman and contains original story and characters from Miura. It's a rather short game too, you can finish it in one sitting, which is why I think pretty much any Berserk fan should play it. The guys made a podcast episode discussing it more in-depth, make sure to check that out as well.

I'm sorry to hear that, with sports and martial arts (especially brutal ones like boxing and endurance) there is always the risk of injury if you really try to improve, and if you're unlucky it can even be debilitating, so take care.

Thanks!

It's a good game, lets you do some pretty cool stuff as the Black Swordsman and contains original story and characters from Miura. It's a rather short game too, you can finish it in one sitting, which is why I think pretty much any Berserk fan should play it. The guys made a podcast episode discussing it more in-depth, make sure to check that out as well.

Yeah, I knew about the podcast and saw bits of it. But like you said, as a Berserk fan I should atleast play it once, especially since there's an original story from Miura in it.

Finished Dark Souls 2 again. Not much to say that I haven't already said multiple times. I really did enjoy it much more the second time around though. Eleum Loyce is definitely one of my favorite areas in the series too minus Reindeer Fuckland. Although I like the atmosphere and feel to Frigid Outskirts but I'm just a total sucker for winter areas in general (I'm from the north, winter is in my blood).

I started playing Tales of Berseria more. I'll beat this game sometime in the next 30 years I guess. I do really love it though but Soulsborne ruins everything.

Finished the first episode of Life is Strange: Before the Storm and started a chunk of the next. The first episode ended beautifully. I really dig this game and it's pretty fun to play as Chloe hah.

But Halloween and autumn is calling me and while I was going to wait to play Bloodborne at the beginning of October, I sure as shit couldn't wait. And I'm already 1/4 through it. This game will always have an eternal hold on me.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Tomb Raider the other day. Man, that game was fun. The controls were less than ideal, but it was cool how much they could do in 1996 with simple gameplay and polygons. I’m looking forward to playing future games in the series.

Next up, just in time for Halloween: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've got some bad news.

Haha, I've heard that Tomb Raider 2 is good, 3 is not quite as good, and it's pretty much downhill from there until the various reboots. I'm only playing the ones that have received good reviews, so hopefully I'll avoid most of the bad ones.

Now that's a really great game, I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, man. It looks really cool. I played about 15 minutes this morning, and I'm digging the atmosphere and tone already.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Next up, just in time for Halloween: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

Despite Aaz raving about it for years, I've still never successfully played through the first Kain, mostly because of access (the PC port sucked, and I never got a hold of the PS1 disc). How are you playing it?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Despite Aaz raving about it for years, I've still never successfully played through the first Kain, mostly because of access (the PC port sucked, and I never got a hold of the PS1 disc). How are you playing it?

I played the first 15 minutes on an emulator. I’m going to purchase a physical copy on Amazon.com and play the rest of the game on my good old PS2.

Edit: Didn’t realize it was on PSN. It’s only on PS3 and PSP, which is why I couldn’t find it on my Vita. So $6.00 later and after digging out my PS3, I’m in business.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I played the first 15 minutes on an emulator. I’m going to purchase a physical copy on Amazon.com and play the rest of the game on my good old PS2.
Games like that deserve a longer life by being ported to current systems. But from what I understand that company is in a bit of a garbage fire.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Games like that deserve a longer life by being ported to current systems. But from what I understand that company is in a bit of a garbage fire.

I agree. These days, every game should be available on all modern systems, but licenses and other issues keep getting in the way. Oh, well.

I've beat Batman Arkham Knight. Never played any Batman before, too much batmobil, too much fighting against enemy tanks, poor made ending. On the other hand, flying is pretty good, combat itself has some good combos and atmosphere is pretty good.

Top Bottom