What are you watching? (television thread)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Who's excited for the season 2 of The Boys?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I'm excited, but I plan to watch it. I mostly enjoyed the first one! Very few series interest me these days so that's kind of an achievement in and of itself.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I'm excited, but I plan to watch it. I mostly enjoyed the first one! Very few series interest me these days so that's kind of an achievement in and of itself.
I read the comic a long time ago, like it a lot and i think the tv show is an improvement pretty much all around, great cast, smart and interest plot and characters changes, Black Noir does things, Terror is coming in season 2, all this makes me excited to see what they do for season 2.

Also still need to watch Chernobyl.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I read the comic a long time ago, like it a lot and i think the tv show is an improvement pretty much all around, great cast, smart and interest plot and characters changes, Black Noir does things, Terror is coming in season 2, all this makes me excited to see what they do for season 2.

Homelander is where they really nailed so far it I think. The actor does an absolutely stellar job of conveying the perversity of the character.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I decided I needed a new show to binge watch for now and the preview for the new season of Westworld looked good so I decided to give that another shot. I tried watching it when it first came out but after about 4 episodes I gave up, which is sad because I wanted to like it. I'm a big fan of the original movie and of the concept in general. Idk though, some aspects of this show are grating, while others are really good. Anyone else have experience with it?

If anyone hasn’t already seen the first season of the South Korean zombie/Joseon Royal drama show “Kingdom”. I recommend checking it out as the second season just came out on Netflix last week.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Mass Effect: Picard.

Now this I wouldn't mind, but I'm guessing the joke is it doesn't live up to either.

I decided I needed a new show to binge watch for now and the preview for the new season of Westworld looked good so I decided to give that another shot. I tried watching it when it first came out but after about 4 episodes I gave up, which is sad because I wanted to like it. I'm a big fan of the original movie and of the concept in general. Idk though, some aspects of this show are grating, while others are really good. Anyone else have experience with it?

Sure, Season 1 is good and worth watching despite the grating parts you noted. I think once compared it favorably to Blade Runner 2049 on here, but like, 10 hours worth of robots and humanity deep diving (basically I found 2049 kind of underwhelming in that department after).

Season 2 is basically what the conclusion of season 1 should have been stretched into 10 more episodes, it runs back the same storytelling tricks, worse for the wear, but makes little sense, ruins the characters and pretty much sucks until one bottle episode late in the season, and then proceeds to suck again to the finish.

Yet, all caught up with Mr. Larry David, I'm planning to start Season 3 tonight anyway because there's not a lot of shows my wife and I can both tolerate, let alone about robots.

Since I have nothing to do these days, I thought I'd start watching every Godzilla movie, which was something I always wanted to do.

I have already watched the 2014 Godzilla, I'm pretty sure I also watched the 1998 Godzilla when I was a kid. (But since I was very young, I guess I'll have to watch it again...) and I recently watched Shin Godzilla.

I started yesterday with the 1954 Godzilla and liked it a lot, but I don't know if I'll be watching them in release order or using this guide:
sF4RYZL.jpg
The guide looks pretty useful (Even if it's a bit outdated), so I might use it.
I mean in the end, I'll still watch all the movies, but I'll probably just leave the more "goofy" ones at the end.

(Is this thread only for series and stuff? Cause if it is, I have no idea how to delete what I posted :schnoz:)

Last edited:
Who's excited for the season 2 of The Boys?
Count me in. The series surprised me at how fresh and fun it was.

The Voice this season is decent at best. Some really bad song choices by this season's coaches for the battle rounds.

WestWorld S3 - caught up with the show last weekend. Strong series premiere with a lot going to fit into episode 1. I liked the show's glimpse of the future when it came to advancement in technology and architectural/ design aesthetic. Consequent episodes have dipped, getting a bit convoluted. I'm interested in Caleb's story arc.

EDIT:

Just started a show on Netflix called Halt and Catch Fire - set in the 80's, Main characters include a salesman, an engineer and a coder. They're in a pinch to come up with a personal computer (the idea + execution of it) before the company tanks due to the circumstances the company finds itself in. So far 4 episodes in, it's pretty entertaining.

Last edited:

Griffith

Bailed on Westworld S3 after one episode. Watching Hannibal now... pretty good! Gory and psychologically twisted as Hell, and the cast is excellent, most crucially Mads Mikkelson as the title character. Of course, if you're familiar with and like his work, you should also check him out in Death Stranding:

Oh, and...

:ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Thats so funny. I did the same thing after one episode of season 2 of Westworld. I hate the way the writers did dialog, especially for bad or unlikable characters. Its supposed to be this futuristic amazing facility like Jurassic Park and yet all the employees have narcissistic personality disorder and constantly swear and treat each other like shit. Like aren't you guys supposed to be highly educated working on advanced technology? They all talk like they're in high school. After a while it's sooo grating.

Anyway, I myself also stopped at Hannibal and added to my watchlist. The only reason I've put it off is because of some bad comments I had read about it. But after Westworld i may need to just dive in.

Griffith

Thats so funny. I did the same thing after one episode of season 2 of Westworld. I hate the way the writers did dialog, especially for bad or unlikable characters. Its supposed to be this futuristic amazing facility like Jurassic Park and yet all the employees have narcissistic personality disorder and constantly swear and treat each other like shit.

That's a good point that I kind of glossed over and just internalized because frankly everyone on the show is or becomes unlikable for one reason or another, except maybe Bernard. One of the reasons I disliked season 2 was they ruined Delores, among others.

Anyway, I myself also stopped at Hannibal and added to my watchlist. The only reason I've put it off is because of some bad comments I had read about it. But after Westworld i may need to just dive in.

I can see people being upset by it for one reason or another. If you're a purist about the books or even the films it could definitely throw you, but if you come at it with an open minded approach that this is its own alternative thing, you can enjoy how it explores and plays with the characters in new and interesting ways.

I watched Tiger King lately. Man that show is insane. The people in it are all batshit crazy too. Like wow. Anyone else watched it too?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bailed on Westworld S3 after one episode.
Thats so funny. I did the same thing after one episode of season 2 of Westworld. I hate the way the writers did dialog, especially for bad or unlikable characters. Its supposed to be this futuristic amazing facility like Jurassic Park and yet all the employees have narcissistic personality disorder and constantly swear and treat each other like shit. Like aren't you guys supposed to be highly educated working on advanced technology? They all talk like they're in high school. After a while it's sooo grating.

Not even going to try watching Westworld S3. I did watch S2 in its entirety just for the sake of closure, and it became very clear to me that as soon as they got beyond the scope of the original story they just got lost. Like Griff said, S2 should have been the conclusion of S1 and needed to be between one and maybe three episodes long if I'm being generous. It's mostly filler and the ending also turns out to be kinda nonsensical. As for S3, literally the only appeal of the show was the context of the park, so turning it into Detroit: Become Human just ain't cutting it for me.

Griffith

I watched Tiger King lately. Man that show is insane. The people in it are all batshit crazy too. Like wow. Anyone else watched it too?

I would never be caught watching something so low class and ribald!

*looks around*

(Joe was totally set up! #freejoe)

As for S3, literally the only appeal of the show was the context of the park, so turning it into Detroit: Become Human just ain't cutting it for me.

It's like taking the awful, nonsensical characters you'd grown to dislike so much and truly setting them free of context to really make no sense and be loathsome. I have no idea what the fuck Delores is on about or why anyone is for her or against her, or what they're for or against other than not dying, but even that's not clear. Nothing on this show makes any sense and the latest season started right off the bat with the, "This is so deep and heavy!" pretensions while in actuality being pathetically reductive.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hah! Although what Joe did was definitely reprehensible.... but god damn how is Carole Baskins not in jail for murder?

It's because she knew the sardine oil trick. If the bones don't exist, you must aquit!

Griffith

Hah! Although what Joe did was definitely reprehensible.... but god damn how is Carole Baskins not in jail for murder?

Ok, I guess we're really doing this. =)

Even though statistically, it's always the spouse, and circumstantially speaking she looks guilty as hell, there's no evidence and if there was the local law enforcement down there let it go to rot decades ago. To be fair to Carole, her husband was a pretty shitty, shady dude that could have got himself killed any number of ways, by a big cat, plane crash, another women, angry husband, illegal deal gone bad, etc. Plus, it could have been messy, like a fight that turned violent she got the better of (she had the guns =). So, minus some corroborating evidence there's some reasonable doubt there, and she's smart enough to play it straight.

It's because she knew the sardine oil trick. If the bones don't exist, you must aquit!

Plus incompetent/disinterested police goes a long way, helps having some in the family too! The takeaway from that series wasn't all the rampant illegal activity and salacious shit going on, but the arbitrary and capricious way justice was meted out, or not, particularly to Joe, who definitely deserved to go to jail for a number of crimes, but was the only one out of a whole cadre of criminal associates. It's like they just picked somebody, coincidentally with the highest profile, ahem, and the rest get a pass. Of course, the show is probably misrepresenting his case to make it look more arbitrary than it was. My initial guess was despite his protests they probably had Joe on tape incriminating himself, and for all I know they do.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I guess we're really doing this. =)

Even though statistically, it's always the spouse, and circumstantially speaking she looks guilty as hell, there's no evidence and if there was the local law enforcement down there let it go to rot decades ago. To be fair to Carole, her husband was a pretty shitty, shady dude that could have got himself killed any number of ways, by a big cat, plane crash, another women, angry husband, illegal deal gone bad, etc. Plus, it could have been messy, like a fight that turned violent she got the better of (she had the guns =). So, minus some corroborating evidence there's some reasonable doubt there, and she's smart enough to play it straight.

Plus incompetent/disinterested police goes a long way, helps having some in the family too! The takeaway from that series wasn't all the rampant illegal activity and salacious shit going on, but the arbitrary and capricious way justice was meted out, or not, particularly to Joe, who definitely deserved to go to jail for a number of crimes, but was the only one out of a whole cadre of criminal associates. It's like they just picked somebody, coincidentally with the highest profile, ahem, and the rest get a pass. Of course, the show is probably misrepresenting his case to make it look more arbitrary than it was. My initial guess was despite his protests they probably had Joe on tape incriminating himself, and for all I know they do.
Agreed about the capriciousness of the whole affair. The most surprising thing of that show to me was that Joe somehow got a whopping 19% of the states votes in the governors race. NINETEEN PERCENT. And he ran on a campaign of: “haha I’ve got tigers and I’m crazy. Vote for me.”

Edit: Okay the show sort of swept this under the rug, but he got last place in the libertarian primary, not the full race. Whew... okay. That’s somewhat reassuring to me!

Hannibal now... pretty good! Gory and psychologically twisted as Hell, and the cast is excellent, most crucially Mads Mikkelson as the title character.

Hannibal is literally my favorite show. The second half of season 2 rocked my world and the finale of it is pretty much my favorite piece of television. I hope you enjoy it!

Currently watching:
Cosmos: Possible Worlds
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Devs
Harley Quinn S2
Westworld

Some seasonal anime.

Also finished watching Happy recently. What a hilarious clusterfuck. Seriously John Wicks long lost dumpsterfire brother stuck in a pixar acid trip. Loved it.

Griffith

Hannibal is literally my favorite show. The second half of season 2 rocked my world and the finale of it is pretty much my favorite piece of television. I hope you enjoy it!

Oooh, well now it has expectations to live up to! Actually, glad to hear it, as I've been very pleased with how the first season has developed, particularly the way it's turned since the midpoint as Hannibal has become more and more involved in... well, everything. It's ahead of schedule as far as I'm concerned so I was already looking forward to next season hoping it will take things to an even higher level as Hannibal's machinations come together or come apart. I guess it's a good thing it's moving fast too since it's going to be three and out (that was attractive as well, frankly =).

Oooh, well now it has expectations to live up to! Actually, glad to hear it, as I've been very pleased with how the first season has developed, particularly the way it's turned since the midpoint as Hannibal has become more and more involved in... well, everything. It's ahead of schedule as far as I'm concerned so I was already looking forward to next season hoping it will take things to an even higher level as Hannibal's machinations come together or come apart. I guess it's a good thing it's moving fast too since it's going to be three and out (that was attractive as well, frankly =).

Oh man, if you liked season one, then you will hopefully love season 2 because I think it will have everything you are hoping for and much more haha.

I won't say anything more because going into it as blind as possible only makes it better! Watching it week to week one one hell of a wild ride though, I will say that much.

Top Bottom