Movies to look forward to

Oburi

All praise Grail
Now, I've only seen Isaac in Arrival, Ex Machina, and Star Wars, but I've never seen any facet in his range that would make him a good Duke Leto Atreides.
Dude you gotta see Inside Llewyn Davis and Suburbicon and you really have to see The Two Faces of January (which has one of my favorite actors Viggo Mortenson). But you're right. Oscar Isaac, although a fine actor in the right role, will not only be inevitably miscast in Dune but he's also already getting the same burnout treatment that Adam Driver is suffering from (or more accurately, I'm the one suffering). Does he have to be in everything. These guys must have great agents.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dude you gotta see Inside Llewyn Davis and Suburbicon and you really have to see The Two Faces of January (which has one of my favorite actors Viggo Mortenson). But you're right. Oscar Isaac, although a fine actor in the right role, will not only be inevitably miscast in Dune but he's also already getting the same burnout treatment that Adam Driver is suffering from (or more accurately, I'm the one suffering). Does he have to be in everything. These guys must have great agents.

As it happens, Viggo would have been a fine Leto.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It's like Get Out for neurotic white people; so, looks good to me! =)

Damn, September? C'mon Netflix, just release everything now, there's no point in waiting or looking forward to anything. Just let the time pass through us.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
It's like Get Out for neurotic white people; so, looks good to me! =)

Kaufman's stuff is a bit more heady/out there. Get Out was a bit of a disappointment to me, but I appreciated the craftsmanship.

Really surprised Netflix gave him money. He seemed kinda stuck in a limbo since Synecdoche.

EDIT: Just saw it's based on a novel, not an original screenplay. Oh well, can't have everything.

Griffith

Kaufman's stuff is a bit more heady/out there. Get Out was a bit of a disappointment to me, but I appreciated the craftsmanship.

Actually, Get Out impressed me with how out there it wasn't on a practical horror level despite the high concept story and heavy themes, like it explained everything to a fault. It didn't cheat under the pretense of being bigger than a horror movie, which I think it could have lazily gotten away with as a social commentary, and that's why it was so effective. One element wouldn't have worked nearly as well without the other.

Really surprised Netflix gave him money. He seemed kinda stuck in a limbo since Synecdoche.

Isn't the joke they give everybody money? And there's certainly at least a decent chance they get an interesting return on investment with him.

EDIT: Just saw it's based on a novel, not an original screenplay. Oh well, can't have everything.

Well, if it's anything like his last Adaptation... :carcus:

Holy shit, finally a movie to look forward to. Amazing cast as well

Since I’m not sure it’s all that common that you, Griffith and Aazealh are all on the same page when it comes to movies or TV shows, then this movie must be something special, so I added a reminder to watch it when it comes out.

Looks good Nighty. I didn't know Kaufman had a project ... he skipped my radar. And yet, his work is really special like Carruth's work.

Since I’m not sure it’s all that common that you, Griffith and Aazealh are all on the same page when it comes to movies or TV shows, then this movie must be something special, so I added a reminder to watch it when it comes out.

With you m! And now, we only need Walter to hop on. Good time to find those protect-your-eyes-from-the-eclipse sunglasses cos the movie forum's very own Godhand are potentially coming together to discuss the same project! :void::SK::femto:

Last edited:
Reactions: m
So, the new Batman trailer looks pretty good. I was just talking to a friend about how would like if they just bare down and focus on a murder or something. Kinda scratch more so on the theme of “worlds greatest detective.” A shot in the trailer gave me good “crow” movie vibes and it put a smile on my face to see the crow also trending on twitter along with several other Batman references. I’m excited, I’ll keep a open mind, it has my attention.

Last edited:
Pattinson and Dano have the potential to be the best iterations of Batman and Riddler (Although it shouldn't be too hard for Dano considering his competition) but I'm still a bit worried about Matt Reeves directing this. I thought Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was great but War was a bit hit or miss. Let's hope they explore new aspects of the characters not seen in live-action and bring something new to the superhero genre.

Griffith

Pattinson and Dano have the potential to be the best iterations of Batman and Riddler (Although it shouldn't be too hard for Dano considering his competition)

Frank Gorshin is rolling in his grave. Also, I didn't really see anything special from Pattinson as of yet. I don't know if he's going to be a good Batman or even a detective in this movie but he's certainly looking emo as fuck.

Also, I didn't really see anything special from Pattinson as of yet. I don't know if he's going to be a good Batman or even a detective in this movie but he's certainly looking emo as fuck.

Pattinson's definitely impressed me with his performances in Good Time and The Lighthouse. He really seems like he's tried so hard to shed his Twlight persona by picking roles and films that deviate as far as possible from those films. I think he can bring something new to the table that the other actors haven't brought in yet or haven't fully realized in their characters.

Frank Gorshin is rolling in his grave.

Never actually saw the 60's TV show or the film but I like Adam West as Batman lol

Griffith

Looking emo as fuck = at least 33% of the qualities of an authentic Batman.

I don't know about wearing eyeliner outside of the crow, er, I mean the cowl though. Looks like he's been crying too. =)

Pattinson's definitely impressed me with his performances in Good Time and The Lighthouse. He really seems like he's tried so hard to shed his Twlight persona by picking roles and films that deviate as far as possible from those films.

Yeah, nice try, Edward. :carcus:

I think he can bring something new to the table that the other actors haven't brought in yet or haven't fully realized in their characters.

Well, he's got a lot of competition right now with Batfleck and Keaton back in the mix (isn't this a bit much? I'm batsed out already). I think Pattonsin's best bet is in the brooding style of Keaton because I still think he had the best presence and intensity despite lacking the physique. Pattonsin's not a small guy but he's built more like Pete Davidson than Bruce Wayne (and looks more like Harry Potter here =). Anyway, he could still be the best because everyone else is fatally flawed. The only perfect onscreen Batman is Kevin Conroy, and he's animated.

Never actually saw the 60's TV show or the film but I like Adam West as Batman lol

I'm not going to say it's worth watching except for camp and nostalgia (maybe just watch the movie if you're interested, you'll get the idea), but Gorshin had a cool career, including popularizing the Riddler and playing Marius in Diablo II.

Yeah, nice try, Edward. :carcus:
Don't deny it, you loved me as a vampire :)
Well, he's got a lot of competition right now with Batfleck and Keaton back in the mix (isn't this a bit much? I'm batsed out already). I think Pattonsin's best bet is in the brooding style of Keaton because I still think he had the best presence and intensity despite lacking the physique. Pattonsin's not a small guy but he's built more like Pete Davidson than Bruce Wayne (and looks more like Harry Potter here =).
Yeah from the looks of things, multiverses are how the superhero genre is going forward. You can already see in this in the Flash series in the Arrowverse, with different characters from different shows crossing over and Ezra Miller's cameo was definitely a major leap that nobody saw coming. Sam Raimi's also going to make a Doctor Strange Multiverse movie which should be intresting and Spider-Verse is already leaning heavily on the multiverse.

I don't mind Batfleck as much since I don't think Bale was used properly in the DCEU espically in Justice League.

Honestly, I'm hoping Pattonson can bring a "Frank Miller - Year One" vibe to Batman that hasn't really been explored yet. A younger, more emotional and a less "controlled" Batman would be interesting
The only perfect onscreen Batman is Kevin Conroy, and he's animated.
Truer words have never been spoken.
I'm not going to say it's worth watching except for camp and nostalgia (maybe just watch the movie if you're interested, you'll get the idea), but Gorshin had a cool career, including popularizing the Riddler and playing Marius in Diablo II.
Ah nah, I saw clips of the film when I was younger and wasn't really my thing. Never even played Diablo but that sounds cool for him.

Griffith

There's a great documentary

Looks pretty cool, but more about the life and career of Adam West than the Batman program in particular? Probably has a lot of great inside info from his POV though.

Don't deny it, you loved me as a vampire :)

I was talking to Pattonsin directly. In my experience everyone you talk shit about on the Internet is actually reading it. No, really...

Yeah from the looks of things, multiverses are how the superhero genre is going forward.

More like how they're going backward to retcon all previous misfires, or just make them not matter. People complained Marvel had no stakes before, now anything unfavorable can just be relegated to a dead end universe or timeline like Rick & Morty. Case in point...

I don't mind Batfleck as much since I don't think Bale was used properly in the DCEU espically in Justice League.

Well, I agree since he wasn't used at all, which I thought was a mistake. They had Routh's neo-Reeve Superman and a billion dollar Batman franchise already established, and scrapped it all for Zack Snyder's Supermurderer-verse (which they also scrapped 2 1/2 movies in, but now it's back, sort of)? Anyway, now not only does none of that matter, but Batman 1989 is officially part of the DCEU, and by inference so are any of these older versions from Nolan's Batman to Donner's Superman. They fixed it; it's all... part... of the plan! It's blanket continuity by decree, like some sort of lazy storytelling amnesty. I'm not saying that's not better than it just being a bunch of random, haphazard bullshit, but that's still really what it is however they try to reframe it.

Honestly, I'm hoping Pattonson can bring a "Frank Miller - Year One" vibe to Batman that hasn't really been explored yet. A younger, more emotional and a less "controlled" Batman would be interesting

Wasn't that the point of Bale's 40 years young Batman in Begins? He wore a ski mask in that one scene with Gordon! But yeah, now they can do an actually young Batman, and a really old one with Keaton. =)

Truer words have never been spoken.

They could honestly do Spider-Verse movie with Batman, and they sort of are (but won't have the guts to have TAS Batman show up in their serious multivariate movie). Everyone already assumes the Thomas Wayne version has to show up now. We'll see, like I said it's better than everything being disparate shit; everything's canon now!

I have a hard time with Pattinson being a convincing physical presence in any way. He's a very lean guy and I'm just as likely to believe his hand would shatter to a thousand pieces when punching someone. I read he had trouble putting on weight for this role. I know it's a year one look, but...eh, we'll see. Very odd critique, but he has the frame of the joker to me.

More like how they're going backward to retcon all previous misfires, or just make them not matter. People complained Marvel had no stakes before, now anything unfavorable can just be relegated to a dead end universe or timeline like Rick & Morty. Case in point...

It's how they're likely going to reboot Iron Man & Captain America within a couple dozen years.

Well, I agree since he wasn't used at all, which I thought was a mistake. They had Routh's neo-Reeve Superman and a billion dollar Batman franchise already established, and scrapped it all for Zack Snyder's Supermurderer-verse (which they also scrapped 2 1/2 movies in, but now it's back, sort of)? Anyway, now not only does none of that matter, but Batman 1989 is officially part of the DCEU, and by inference so are any of these older versions from Nolan's Batman to Donner's Superman. They fixed it; it's all... part... of the plan! It's blanket continuity by decree, like some sort of lazy storytelling amnesty. I'm not saying that's not better than it just being a bunch of random, haphazard bullshit, but that's still really what it is however they try to reframe it.

It's honestly such a colossal mess lol, The MCU has problems of it's own but at the very least they were consistent with the rules in it's universe - well at least the Infinity Saga is, we'll see how the Phase 4 and the rest shape up but I'm not holding out too much hope apart from a few films.

Wasn't that the point of Bale's 40 years young Batman in Begins? He wore a ski mask in that one scene with Gordon! But yeah, now they can do an actually young Batman, and a really old one with Keaton. =)

True, I know Nolan took inspirations from Year One but I never saw the raw emotion from Batman that you can glimpse in the comics or the animated series, neither as Walter points out has there been a Batman film with him solely relying on his brains instead of his brawn to catch the criminals and showing why he's the World's supposed Greatest Detective

They could honestly do Spider-Verse movie with Batman, and they sort of are (but won't have the guts to have TAS Batman show up in their serious multivariate movie). Everyone already assumes the Thomas Wayne version has to show up now. We'll see, like I said it's better than everything being disparate shit; everything's canon now!

I think Lego Batman toyed with this idea a little bit but maybe I'm misremembring the movie?

I have a hard time with Pattinson being a convincing physical presence in any way. He's a very lean guy and I'm just as likely to believe his hand would shatter to a thousand pieces when punching someone. I read he had trouble putting on weight for this role. I know it's a year one look, but...eh, we'll see. Very odd critique, but he has the frame of the joker to me.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this, the funeral scene in particular shows Pattinson as a thin lean dude with not much bulk on his frame. Just have to attribute it to the Year One look they're going for.

Griffith

It's honestly such a colossal mess lol, The MCU has problems of it's own but at the very least they were consistent with the rules in it's universe - well at least the Infinity Saga is, we'll see how the Phase 4 and the rest shape up but I'm not holding out too much hope apart from a few films.

Yeah, I'm not feeling any heat coming off the MCU now, even from within (besides X-Men, Black Panther 2, and maybe GotG 3 someday the cupboard is bare), and I can't blame Feige and crew because they had an unprecedented decade, they did the equivalent of the Bond franchise but WAY bigger and in a sixth of the time, and it's like what else is there to prove? The hazard now is all they can do is fall short of the precedent and expectations they've set.

True, I know Nolan took inspirations from Year One but I never saw the raw emotion from Batman that you can glimpse in the comics or the animated series

Yeah, despite Bale's growling and yelling his Batman was a boring paragon that seemed to be performing the part as much as he was. Once again, Keaton's Bats was the only one to come close to having some real rage, though I guess Batfleck was going for that in BvS, but what a misadventure that is.

neither as Walter points out has there been a Batman film with him solely relying on his brains instead of his brawn to catch the criminals and showing why he's the World's supposed Greatest Detective

I think Batman is an overrated detective in all his forms. If he was such a good detective he wouldn't need to dress like a bat and beat up the mental patients he "outsmarts." =)

I think they do about as good a job on film showing Batman to be a credible detective as they do explaining why he's the world's greatest martial artist; that is, not at all. But, what do we want to satisfy this requirement? A movie with Sherlock Holmes in a batsuit? Batman going around with a big magnifying glass looking at clues for two hours? It's actually more believable he just has the resources to do his own advanced forensics or build a supercomputer to solve all his cases like Burton's and Nolan's Batmen. He basically just googles the clues for the answer, but I still don't understand how he's a better ninja warrior than the guys that taught him how to be one.

I think Lego Batman toyed with this idea a little bit but maybe I'm misremembring the movie?

That sounds vaguely familiar, like Joker was doing some meta plot and Batman could reference any of his incarnations, but all I could find was this:

Good Bat-satire.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this, the funeral scene in particular shows Pattinson as a thin lean dude with not much bulk on his frame. Just have to attribute it to the Year One look they're going for.

Well, I retract all my skepticism, this guy's a REAL ROMANTIC MAN'S MAN!!

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
But, what do we want to satisfy this requirement? A movie with Sherlock Holmes in a batsuit? Batman going around with a big magnifying glass looking at clues for two hours?

Actually yeah, I would be down for that. Why the hell not? Go for something new instead of the garbage they keep rehashing.

Top Bottom