Games to look forward to!

My advice as someone who enjoys those games without being a rabid fan: play Demon's Souls, if you like it then play Dark Souls, and if you still want more, Bloodborne.
If I enjoy Bloodborne, I'll definitely get it. But as Bloodborne is for free, I'll first want to play that a little bit (not the whole game) before spending 80€ on a game which I might not enjoy.
From the podcast I know that you, Walter and Griffith enjoy the Souls games a lot, as it's part of almost every second show after the Berserk part :iva: I think those games are either hit or miss whether you like them or not, that's why I'm a bit cautious

Some changes in Demon's Souls remake for PS5: https://www.polygon.com/interviews/...remake-changes-sixth-archstone-world-tendency

Some changes:

Interesting change: the amount of healing grasses you can carry will be more limited in the Demon's Souls remake; more powerful grasses weigh more as well

Demon's Souls details:
- two modes: cinematic mode (4K 30FPS) and performance mode (dynamic 4K 60FPS)
- photo mode
- filters can be applied like Kurosawa mode
- there is a classic filter to make the game look more like the PS3 original
- no 6th Archstone - no difficulty settings
More details
- World Tendency is still included in the remake but now with an improved UI so you know which state you are in
- Some bugs have been fixed, other "meme-worthy" ones are still in
- Dialogue has been re-recorded, partially with the old cast
Interesting new Demon's Souls feature: you can now store a character inside the Nexus
More Demon's Souls details
- the roll system is now omnidirectional (8-way)
- Bluepoint has indeed changed some models after fan feedback (Flamelurker)
- AI and logic remain untouched
- Fractured Mode = mirror mode
- Old Monk fight is still in
Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1321800850671620102

Additionally old camera option is still there:
This is the game that gave birth to this genre of gaming. And so we have to pay great respect to the original vision, ut at the same time, we have to make a lot of modern-day life improvements. But none of those were taken lightly," Moore said. "When we decided to have a look at the camera, for instance...we changed the camera position slightly, and we made sure that it doesn't run through the walls and get stuck on collision and all those sorts of things. That doesn't mean that we don't have an option in the game so you can turn on the old camera if you want to. You can do that. We preserve all of that. It all exists there for the user to switch on and off as they wish.

The thing for us is you have to remember that the way you played the game 11 years ago is not the way you imagined the game. You imagine it completely different," continued. "We had to basically create the game as the way that the players of the original PlayStation 3 version imagined it to be. And then, at the same time, make sure that we created a game the new generation of gamers could enjoy and love as well.
Looks like it's very good remake. I was hoping for 6th archstone being included but it wasn't that realistic tbh, it wold take From Software to cooperate on this. Pause is there as "photo mode" but when you're invaded photo mode doesn't work. Roll system is improved, we have a classic filter for the game to look more like original. This game looks very promising so far and visuals and audio are incredible. [This isnt quote of quote, I can't unquote my own post xD]

Last edited:

Oburi

All praise Grail
The newest gameplay trailer makes me really think whether I should get Demon's Souls for PS5 or not. I think I'll check out Bloodborne first, as it comes for free with the PS5, and then decide whether Souls games are something I like or not as I never played any of them.
For me, the first Dark Souls (which was the first game in the series I played) is by far the best and most rewarding play and the only one I felt the need to play more than once. The way the map was interconnected and different locations had clever shortcuts was never matched by the other games. That first Dark Souls game was so memorable I could probably retrace my every step through the world in my head, something I can't do in the sequels. Although DS3 had many good moments and the DLC for DS2 was memorable as well.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason I had difficulty with Bloodborne. One of those games I started with great enthusiasm but after a few hours fiddling about, I put it down with the intention of picking it up again later, and then got sidetracked and never felt the urge to turn it on again. I still have it on my stack of games marked "TO PLAY", collecting dust. I really wish I could find the motivation to get into it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
For me, the first Dark Souls (which was the first game in the series I played) is by far the best and most rewarding play

I have to agree with that, although I have a soft spot for Demon's Souls ending. Dark Souls was the perfection realization of From Software's vision, and I don't think the later variations (which I enjoyed playing) quite managed to equal it. I hope they take their time with Elden Ring to ensure it reaches new highs.

A few games caught my attention at the game awards.

1) Perfect dark being made by new Microsoft studio the initiative. It can’t be worse than perfect dark zero right....?

2) The Callisto Protocol. Made by one of the lead developers of the dead space series.

3) Crimson desert. I do not like MMORPGS but it gave me dragon’s dogma vibes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
1) Perfect dark being made by new Microsoft studio the initiative. It can’t be worse than perfect dark zero right....?

Honest question: does anyone care about Perfect Dark as a franchise? I liked the original game on N64, but it was completely and deservedly overshadowed by Goldeneye. Attempts to revive the IP strike me as seriously misguided. They should have rather created something fully new.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Honest question: does anyone care about Perfect Dark as a franchise? I liked the original game on N64, but it was completely and deservedly overshadowed by Goldeneye. Attempts to revive the IP strike me as seriously misguided. They should have rather created something fully new.
Agreed. I mean come on, Perfect Dark? Ya it was cool game that everyone played in the moment, but the moment was brief and as you say, Goldeneye was the one that had a way longer lifespan deservedly. Seems like yet another desperate attempt to revive an old IP in the hope that name recognition will boost sales a fraction of a percent. Just focus on making a decent game. There can’t possibly be much to build on from fucking Perfect Dark.

I honestly completely disagree. Golden eye put some fundamental building blocks in place for console shooters sure. But perfect dark helped refine it (before being completely overshadowed by halo combat evolve). Just speaking for consoles of course. I can still sit down and enjoy playing perfect dark due to the mission replay and all the different modes. The multiple functions for weapons, voice acting and coop: counter operative modes where what did it for. But I definitely can’t play golden eye and enjoy it still today. You’re not alone in your take. Everyone I speak with does seem to remember golden eye more fondly. But I really view it as exposure bias because it came out at a more ideal time in the N64 lifespan when it was peak. Similar to how I feel FF7 isn’t the best final fantasy but is overhyped due to timing. Both those games did great things for their time. Most of the developers for perfect dark also went on to make time splitters (another favorite of mine) and the creativity shows through. Though I honestly forget if free radical was composed of people that made golden eye but not perfect dark?

With all that being said I’m sure that MS will find some way to mess it up. I still have more faith in this team than anything rare would put out today though. I think it’s diffiuclt to make a new shooter IP today. I would like them to focus on what made the original great and expand on it. Not try to make it something else. Perfect dark zero was horribly rushed and made by leftovers from rare that clearly weren’t invested in it anymore. We shall see.

Last edited:
They just announced a DLC for the FF7 Remake called "Intergrade" for October this year. It'll feature Yuffie and a guy I haven't heard about yet. The way they announced it makes it seem like it only comes to PS5 which would be pretty weird.
Along with that they'll enhance the general experience like better graphics, shorter loading times and a photo mode.
This DLC feels Remake original to me and I'm excited to see what they got up their sleeves! I'm sure they listened to what many fans were concerned about (many bad side quests) and what additions they like about the remake (e.g. Jessie's mission) so I'm excited to see what they'll be going with, especially if this hints about what we can expect for the next part. Already fighting with Yuffie sure wasn't a thing I expected for this (expected) DLC.
edit: They just uploaded the trailer seperately

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
They just announced a DLC for the FF7 Remake called "Intergrade" for October this year. It'll feature Yuffie and a guy I haven't heard about yet. [...] This DLC feels Remake original to me

Believe it or not, ancient artefacts from back when the original Final Fantasy VII came out are still in existence. One of these relics is myself, and so I can confirm you that this storyline is indeed new and did not occur in the original game. :iva:

The way they announced it makes it seem like it only comes to PS5 which would be pretty weird.

That's typical of these announcements. Their objective is to sell PS5s. Don't be surprised if it's quietly clarified later that the DLC will also come to PS4.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Believe it or not, ancient artefacts from back when the original Final Fantasy VII came out are still in existence. One of these relics is myself, and so I can confirm you that this storyline is indeed new and did not occur in the original game. :iva:

I certainly don't remember it, but then I'm so old I don't remember a lot of things from those days. Who's this Yuffy again, a new character? And what about making Rad XIIII playable!? *shakes cane*

That's typical of these announcements. Their objective is to sell PS5s. Don't be surprised if it's quietly clarified later that the DLC will also come to PS4.

Yeah, it would be odd not to make it as widely available as possible while the PS4 player base is still so huge compared to PS5 presently (forget sales, there aren't even enough PS5s in existence to sell them to all who want one)...

BTW, in the Intergrade trailer I really appreciated those side by side shots that are virtually identical, like you could have switched them half way or stopped labeling them and I wouldn't have noticed which were supposed to be notably superior. That's going to be one costly settings shift from high to ultra. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, in the Intergrade trailer I really appreciated those side by side shots that are virtually identical, like you could have switched them half way or stopped labeling them and I wouldn't have noticed which were supposed to be notably superior. That's going to be one costly settings shift from high to ultra. =)

Yeah same here, that was amusing.

They just announced a DLC for the FF7 Remake called "Intergrade" for October this year. It'll feature Yuffie and a guy I haven't heard about yet. The way they announced it makes it seem like it only comes to PS5 which would be pretty weird.
Along with that they'll enhance the general experience like better graphics, shorter loading times and a photo mode.
This DLC feels Remake original to me and I'm excited to see what they got up their sleeves! I'm sure they listened to what many fans were concerned about (many bad side quests) and what additions they like about the remake (e.g. Jessie's mission) so I'm excited to see what they'll be going with, especially if this hints about what we can expect for the next part. Already fighting with Yuffie sure wasn't a thing I expected for this (expected) DLC.
edit: They just uploaded the trailer seperately
Hmmm, let's see...no announcements saying they're removing the second sewer level, omitting that whiny annoying dipshit, Leslie, for forcing you to go through it, or revising the ending so that everything about it and the Arbiters of Fate were all just the result of the protagonists tripping out on flowers from Aerith's secret garden. No dice, Square.

I think some of the new visuals looked even worse. Fantastic, we can now stumble blindly around the sewers with all these new fog effects that remove visibility! Then again, sewers look like shit by nature, so not seeing them is an improvement.

Leslie and Kyrie are both characters from an FF7 novel so I simply wondered if that Yuffie storyline would be based on something similar. Hopefully not similar quality, though.
I think some scenes even look better with the PS4 version, some highlights (e.g. on the ground) don't look as bright anymore so it looks less contrasty and less textured. The dynamic lighting on Cloud is an improvement, though.
And what about making Rad XIIII playable!? *shakes cane*
I wouldn't be able to comprehend all the fun a 20m^2 scouting expedition in his cell would be like, additionally to watching THE Dr Hojo working LIVE on his experiments in the background!:iva:
Doesn't ring any bells. I never ever added any such character to my active party, that's for sure.
At that point in the game, she hasn't stolen all my materia yet so I'm ok with playing her for a few hours :ganishka:I think the only time I played with her in the original was in the dojo/shrine of her hometown.

With Square Enix coming to E3, I'm very excited to see FFXVI and Forspoken from them. I'm also hoping they port Dragon Quest 4,5 and 6 to the Nintendo Switch since those games are very out of print. :judo:

Making even a little tease of part 2 for FF7 Remake, but that's just a pipe dream at this point in time.

Let’s see where this goes.
I’m curious about this and the RE4 remake. I feel this one has more to gain from a remake than RE4 for sure.

I find it annoying that visceral was basically killed off by EA and now are having their game remade by another group.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s see where this goes.
I’m curious about this and the RE4 remake. I feel this one has more to gain from a remake than RE4 for sure.
Wow. They really did the horror movie trailer children's rhyme thing, didn't they? :ganishka:

I remember being pretty impressed with the first Dead Space, but didn't bother finishing the second one. Dead Space came out during an era when EA was taking a lot of big risks with new IP (+Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect), and most of them paid off. It was very cool to see happen. So I look back on that time and those games fondly, but that publisher's reputation has been spiraling around the drain ever since that little spark of creativity more than a decade ago. I just don't know that they have it in them to foster something great again.

Top Bottom