Elden Ring (New From Soft Game)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
so I would be surprised if the first one isn’t legitimate.
No, no I meant that the second trailer validates this whole leak.

It just looks sooooooo much like another Souls game, a part of me had hoped it’d be much different. Still, we haven’t even really seen it yet, so I shouldn’t be too hasty.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It just looks sooooooo much like another Souls game, a part of me had hoped it’d be much different. Still, we haven’t even really seen it yet, so I shouldn’t be too hasty.

That was my second thought when I saw Homing Soulmass: 1) It's probably legit, 2) It's more Dark Souls! I've been thinking about this since the game was announced; despite the talk of a brand new and different IP is this essentially just going to be SoulsBorne VI (seven counting Sekiro) by yet another name? I was suspicious then, and it really looks like it now. YMMV on how much that's a good or bad thing either way, but the closer it is the more it begs the question why they don't just make it Dark Souls lV? Maybe that's why it's been so hush-hush, it's the most elaborate working title in history! Of course it's going to keep the name and just be DS4 in practice. =)

I'm still quite excited though because if the "original" story elements are as good as Bloodborne they can call it whatever they want.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
despite the talk of a brand new and different IP is this essentially just going to be SoulsBorne VI (seven counting Sekiro) by yet another name?

You could have asked me that before it was even announced: the answer is yes. :ganishka:

why they don't just make it Dark Souls lV?

Honestly? I think they were just done with Dark Souls' lore, which wasn't really made to support more than one story to begin with. DS2 and 3 were really clunky in that aspect compared to the original game (or any of their other games really). So Elden Ring is a renewal in that department. And I'm sure the gameplay will be a little tweaked too, but not so much it isn't immediately recognizable as a From Software game.

Of course they could have made Dark Souls into some long-running franchise with unrelated storylines, like Final Fantasy, but I'm guessing Miyazaki ruled against it.

Griffith

You could have asked me that before it was even announced: the answer is yes. :ganishka:

They have to do something different sometime, right? Right!?:shrug:

Honestly? I think they were just done with Dark Souls' lore, which wasn't really made to support more than one story to begin with. DS2 and 3 were really clunky in that aspect compared to the original game (or any of their other games really). So Elden Ring is a renewal in that department. And I'm sure the gameplay will be a little tweaked too, but not so much it isn't immediately recognizable as a From Software game.

Of course they could have made Dark Souls into some long-running franchise with unrelated storylines, like Final Fantasy, but I'm guessing Miyazaki ruled against it.

They sort of tried expanding the universe with DS2, but we saw how that was received. I thought DS3 was a fitting if not quite revitalizing return, though to your point it was also about putting the whole thing to bed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
They have to do something different sometime, right? Right!?:shrug:

Oh absolutely, you should check out Déraciné. :carcus: (don't)

They sort of tried expanding the universe with DS2, but we saw how that was received. I thought DS3 was a fitting if not quite revitalizing return, though to your point it was also about putting the whole thing to bed.

Yeah honestly, I think Dark Souls 2 could have been MUCH better as a standalone title. Just don't pretend it's related, do your own thing. But once they were on that path I guess they had to stick to it.

Griffith

Oh absolutely, you should check out Déraciné. :carcus: (don't)

On second thought, maybe they shouldn't do something different.

Yeah honestly, I think Dark Souls 2 could have been MUCH better as a standalone title. Just don't pretend it's related, do your own thing. But once they were on that path I guess they had to stick to it.

I've long thought of it as more of a Brand X generic fantasy, a Souls-like knockoff within the actual franchise. Still, if you're deep into Souls, this is the deepest, darkest corner to go down until you go hollow. There's no other game I hate-love so much. :ganishka:

Btw...

:guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've long thought of it as more of a Brand X generic fantasy, a Souls-like knockoff within the actual franchise.

Haha, well in that sense I guess Elden Ring might be a spiritual sequel to Dark Souls 2. :iva:

I get their delight but frankly I'd rather have a finished trailer than these shitty leaks. I guess the past 15 years of irregular Berserk releases have honed my patience.

Griffith

Haha, well in that sense I guess Elden Ring might be a spiritual sequel to Dark Souls 2. :iva:

I don't disagree, there's only so many ways to do "fantasy, dragons!" in relatively new or interesting ways, and I wouldn't even say Dark Souls did, but its mythology was supported by an engrossingly oppressive playstyle and atmosphere that when put together really sang.

I get their delight but frankly I'd rather have a finished trailer than these shitty leaks. I guess the past 15 years of irregular Berserk releases have honed my patience.

Yeah, if you haven't been keeping up regularly with the lore of Elden Ring: The Fanbase - The Series, patience is the opposite of their schtick. It does make this relatively minor reveal and the promise of a proper trailer soon more fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ8kk0I3tkU Leaks put together and quality upgraded. Doesn't look bad, looks like Dark Souls with much bigger map and horse riding. I'll see if I like the atmosphere when proper trailer releases + gameplay.

Well, unless the trailer reveals it's thematically all about how much GRRM and Miyazaki love Donald Trump, I'll be buying it regardless of how cool the undead scourge and dragons seem in this iteration of The From Software Game.

Last edited:

Oburi

All praise Grail

Yea i wont even watch those leaks. I’ll wait for something official. Activating Berserk patience mode.

Fervent Enigma

Loveless
I’m pretty excited for this release, being a big fan of Dark Souls and a bigger fan of Bloodborne. I hope even more Berserk influences and Easter eggs are present.

New official trailer for Elden Ring:

Hidetaka Miyazaki hasn't made a bad game yet, so I'm expecting this to be another solid installment.

Incidentally, I'm surprised Miyazaki never commented publicly on Miura's passing, given how heavily influenced his works are by Berserk?

Griffith

You guys sound super salty (not just Kenny), but I finally watched the trailer and it really looks like Dark Souls II 2! I'm fine with that though, would have been fine with Dark Souls 4 frankly, really didn't want something too different, because even Sekiro was enough of a departure that I didn't love it, though I see a little of its more dynamic movement here. It'll be all about how it plays and "feels" to me; if it's got half the magic of Bloodborne it'll be great (but I didn't get that impression, it looked more like Souls with some of Sekiro's color mixed in). It is kind of funny though that this cult sprung up around this game and has been slavishly following its non-development for over a year only to find out it's basically just Dark Souls 4 by any other name.:shrug:

Well, has he publicly commented on how heavily influenced by Berserk his works are? That'd be a good place to start.

Probably the closest to him stating he's a Berserk fan.

I also remember interviews where he said the Catarina armour was based on Basuzo, and greatsword builds are meant to play like Guts.

Top Bottom