The Big Berserk Exhibition

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently the art book is just a compilation of pieces we've seen many times over.

Anyone want to confirm that?

It's a compilation of the artwork that's exposed at the exhibition. That includes many pages straight from the manga, the volume covers and some other color illustrations that are less common but have been published before. There might be some new pieces, but nothing concrete was announced in that regard.

Is the Guts image from the banner only referencing the skirmish, or would it have been directly used? I don't remember we've seen that image yet in manga.

I think it would have been used directly.

It's a compilation of the artwork that's exposed at the exhibition. That includes many pages straight from the manga, the volume covers and some other color illustrations that are less common but have been published before. There might be some new pieces, but nothing concrete was announced in that regard.
Gotcha, thanks. Was just debating whether it'd be worth it or not given if there's nothing new in it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Although it'll be a Day 1 purchase for me, it's a shame the missed opportunity to add up any artwork from the TCG to this new artbook.

Many of the paintings Miura did for the Trade Card Game are exposed at the Exhibition.

I'm on the fence with those prices haha. But I might just pull the trigger anyway. People have em for a bit cheaper on Yahoo auctions than on Ebay.

Personally I wouldn't buy from those resellers. I'd understand making a bit of profit, but selling for double or triple the price is just wrong. I think the artbook will be available to purchase online eventually, once the Exhibition is done in Tokyo.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just posting that the site is open for people to start buying from. It had been "coming soon" up until now. Also there is more than just that expensive folding screen for sale. Scroll down further on the page to see the other items they are selling.

Yeah I know, and thanks for relaying that information after it was announced. I'm being cynical because all of their items are overpriced. The wall scroll – which I don't find so great – is 165,000 yen and the paper fan is 23,650 yen. Maybe I'll look into getting that hot sandwich maker. :iva:

EDIT: Big update from the exhibition staff. They've finally wisened up to the people buying in bulk and will limit "character fine boards" to one per person starting tomorrow. They've also reiterated that certain items will be made available for online purchase after the exhibition concludes (not just the current showing in Tokyo but the subsequent "tour" across Japan as well). Details will be shared at a later date.

https://twitter.com/B26478213/status/1437386121898463239?s=20

Last edited:
I have to admit that I gave in as well and bought one of the manuscript reproductions from a scalper.

You really shouldn't support these kind of people, but it was too tempting to pass up. I love that the art extends a little further than what we see on the Manga pages and the ink stains from the working process on the side.

Still, the prices they charge compared to what they paid is straight up disrespectful. I saw someone on Yahoo Japan Auction having about a dozen of the reproductions for more than double retail, which they probably picked up from the exhibition just to make a quick buck.
the one with farnese is on the ground and guts is fighting all the ghoul hounds sooo tempting for me fukkkkk

Last edited:
Hey everyone, sorry if this has already been covered but where is the best place to purchase the exhibition item? I've already purchased a few off ebay. Are people waiting for items to become available online or going through a proxy service? eBay will get expensive real quick. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TleVJ0r5GGU

The exhibition posted a video message recorded by Susumu Hirasawa for the occasion (the recording took place in December 2020). More such messages will follow.
Hirasawa's message was translated a few days ago for those curious.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Some information about the area of the exhibition where they set up a reproduction of Miura's workspace. Apparently you can see 12 color illustrations from Miura on the desk, produced as part of a giant robot animation project. The animation planning studio was called "Metabaron" (no doubt a nod to the Jodorowsky/Gimenez graphic novel series) and was set up around Miura, who loved the giant robot genre. Chica Umino, Kouji Mori and Takashi Hoshi were also involved. Umino was doing the character design.

The project is said to be "rife with Miura's ideas", from the character outlines and the world view to the scenario. A visitor said on Twitter that the robot's form is reminiscent of Mitsuteru Yokoyama's work (Tetsujin 28-go, Giant Robo), but more elaborate. Finally, it seems two protagonists are involved: a girl who handles the "motion" and a boy who operates it (presumably the weapons?).

More details are likely to emerge over time, but that's all I have for now. Do note that the concept art shown in the "Messages to Kentarou Miura" booklet is not related to this. It was created in 2006 for another project that was later abandoned. Again, we'll have more details over time as we get to translating those messages, but that will take a while.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hirasawa's message was translated a few days ago for those curious.
Thanks for that. Two passages in particular stuck out to me as particularly interesting:

Susumu Hirasawa: So, I read the original manga to determine if it was something I would undertake. Despite drawing a deep, very heavy and dark worldview without hesitation, I felt that there was something very interesting and sympathetic in the manga, and I was astonished that it had gained so many supporters.​
I think it's significant that the series resonated with Susumu, and he didn't shy away from its dark side. This is a pretty great summary of what makes the manga special, I think.

Susumu Hirasawa: More than a decade ago, I happened to discover my name on Wikipedia in Persian language. I can't read Persian, but at the same time I found the letters Berserk. At that time, I got goosebumps driven by the delusion that I had come to Persia on an amazing ship called Berserk. I'm sure I'm still traveling around the world with Guts without realizing it myself.​
I wonder if he has any way of quantifying or understanding just how large his audience of fans grew as a result of this side project from 25 years ago.

Apparently you can see 12 color illustrations from Miura on the desk, produced as part of a giant robot animation project. The animation planning studio was called "Metabaron" (no doubt a nod to the Jodorowsky/Gimenez graphic novel series) and was set up around Miura, who loved the giant robot genre. Chica Umino, Kouji Mori and Takashi Hoshi were also involved. Umino was doing the character design.
What a bombshell...! A new anime with contributions from Miura's whole enclave of mangaka. I really wish we could have seen more than the sketches. Incredible! But in this moment, my mind doesn't know quite what to do with the excitement of learning of a likely doomed project. :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if its been posted about yet but the exhibit will be held at Osaka's Hirakata Park Event Hall from December 11th to January 30th.

Great news! If they could tour it at least to five or six locations and space them all like that, there's some hope us foreigners might still be able to attend it in Hokkaido or something. I want to believe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk9NCfvawo8 is posting stuff like this ok in this thread?

Sure, no problem. It's a fine video.

Some of my friends went to the exhibition last saturday and were kind enough to buy some gifts for me but also take some pictures.
Nothing new but i thought i would share them anyway.

sJcpIi7.jpg

U25JcKw.jpg

AvGQ0mP.jpg

tYm2rUs.jpg

92sn4x3.jpg

They also really wanted to snap some shots of Miura-sensei desk and especially the Metabaron project but it wasn't allowed as we know.

I can’t trust much of what I read outside of this site about Berserk, I’ll just cut to my question. Did Miura ever mention during a interview or Q&A that Guts would be pit against Skull Knight?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I can’t trust much of what I read outside of this site about Berserk, I’ll just cut to my question. Did Miura ever mention during a interview or Q&A that Guts would be pit against Skull Knight?
Nope. It would have been very unlike Miura to have said so, anyway. It was surprising when he said that Griffith and Guts would square off in that 2019 interview, but that's within the realm of possibilities, as they're already enemies. SK vs Guts would have been a big surprise, and Miura wouldn't have spoiled it.

General rule of the internet, if someone says something that doesn't add up, just ask them for the source :daiba: I often do this, very politely, on Reddit when I see crazy claims, and most of the time they'll admit they just "read it somewhere."

Top Bottom