Volume 41

Not a fan of the Berserk digital covers in general, even the ones done by Miura unfortunately. Still, it's ok I guess, but not "final volume cover" ok for my personal standards. Not bad or anything like that, but they could do something more emotional and eye-grabbing:shrug:

Not a fan of the Berserk digital covers in general, even the ones done by Miura unfortunately. Still, it's ok I guess, but not "final volume cover" ok for my personal standards. Not bad or anything like that, but they could do something more emotional and eye-grabbing:shrug:
What would you have done then? If Miura did make this cover even partially he never intended for it to be the final cover. It was just one of many more to come. Personally I liked Miuras digital art a lot, his skills as a traditional artist carried over into his digital work, it's just digital art has a fundamentally different look to traditional painting. And we were seeing Miura get better using digital and evolve as an artist, which was fascinating and a joy to see.

What would you have done then? If Miura did make this cover even partially he never intended for it to be the final cover. It was just one of many more to come. Personally I liked Miuras digital art a lot, his skills as a traditional artist carried over into his digital work, it's just digital art has a fundamentally different look to traditional painting. And we were seeing Miura get better using digital and evolve as an artist, which was fascinating and a joy to see.
It goes without saying that I made the comment with the assumption that the cover was not made by Miura, so in a completely different context altogether. If it was made by Miura completely or partially, i'm ok with it, it will hold a special meaning because of the unexpected loss. Obviously digital art is a whole different creative proccess and of course he got better at it, but unfortunately I'm not a fan of what we got so far, including covers and posters. It's tragic that among all the other things that he would create we didn't get to see him reach his true potential in the digital area.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously digital art is a whole different creative proccess and of course he got better at it, but unfortunately I'm not a fan of what we got so far, including covers and posters. It's tragic that among all the other things that he would create we didn't get to see him reach his true potential in the digital area.
I think it's strange to mention Miura's progress in digital art within the context of Volume 41's cover—something he didn't even finish himself. Instead, I think a good comparison would be his earliest digital work, shown in the posters of Vol 38 (Rickert and Erika) vs his latest digital work, shown in Vol 40's cover. He made tremendous strides in the 2 years between those, as far as I'm concerned. I was startled by v40's cover and how solid it was, given that he'd only had a few years of practice with digital.

I think it's strange to mention Miura's progress in digital art within the context of Volume 41's cover—something he didn't even finish himself.

I replied to Guin because he brought up the Miura angle and the fact that he/she liked his digital art and the way it evolved, I originally didn't even think that the cover of Vol. 41 was done by Miura as I said above. What you say about the cover of vol. 40 is true, it's great all around, and actually is easily my favorite of the last decade+, since vol. 34 specifically (incidentally, they're both pretty similar in terms of color usage too! :void:)

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The credit for the cover illustration is: "MIURA KENTAROU with STUDIO GAGA"

For all previous volumes it was just Miura alone, which confirms what we suspected: Miura had sketched the illustration and had maybe even started working on it, but it was completed by his assistants. The little vignette inside (which depicts Tune, Yoni and Cucca) is also definitely not from him.

There are two posters inside: one of Molda, one of SK and Danan. Same thing here: they are credited to Kentarou Miura & Studio Gaga, meaning they were completed by the assistants. The Molda one was likely pretty far along as it looks pretty good. I wouldn't know it wasn't directly from him without the credit. The one of SK and Danan is a lot rougher unfortunately.

Also, the name spelling "Molda" is confirmed for the character of Molda in the introduction. My choice was once again (and for the last time) correct.

With a cursory glance I've spotted a couple of small corrections in episode 364 on the parts Studio Gaga finished without Miura. Nothing much but it is an improvement.

Lastly, the volume ends with a sober grey page bearing the inscription "Kentarou Miura 1966 - 2021", followed by a short message to the fans on two pages.

Because we can't know Miura's level of involvement, everything will be scrutinized (like a guy earlier complaining about "arm anatomy"). So now imagine that discomfort expanded into a series continuation, encompassing decisions far weightier than "arm anatomy." No thanks.
You can reply to me directly next time. Not sure why my comment around the Moonlight Child's anatomy on this cover is that bothersome for you. :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You can reply to me directly next time. Not sure why my comment around the Moonlight Child's anatomy on this cover is that bothersome for you. :schierke:
I wasn't really bothered. Maybe you misunderstood my logic, but I used your scrutinizing of the blurry arm as an example of what would have happened to every single page if Berserk were continued without Miura. Picking on things, questioning what would Miura have done differently—it never would have been comfortable.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Is this the first time we're seeing that redraw of Volume 27? I've never seen it before.

Yes, it's the first time we see it. For some reason they used a drawing from someone else, traced from volume 27's cover. I find it very puzzling honestly because it's not at all on Miura's level and you'd think they would choose one of the thousands of illustrations Miura did to advertise his own manga. Just plain strange.:shrug:

Yeah I keep seeing that image pop up now, I think all Berserk fans would feel weird looking at that redrawn image and seeing it tied to the promotion of volume 41 when it isn't even Miura's drawing, no offense to the person that drew it but they are literally promoting berserk with fucking fan art, its a guy trying to replicate Miura's piece from volume 27, i really wish they wouldn't do that, it's very offensive to me. You could easily cut out a piece of Miura artwork from the Manga of Guts and use that, why bastardise and redraw an existing piece of Miura art, it might not be a big deal to some but this stuff is annoying.

Makes you wonder.

There's hundreds of Miura-drawn images of Guts to go around that would work for such an advertisement, so why use a redraw of volume 27's cover that's seemingly an attempt to mimic Miura's style? Odd choice, especially since the other version uses Guts and Griffith right off of volume 22.

Makes you wonder.
If you're thinking that it was possibly drawn by one of the assistants to show us how it could look like if Miura's assistants continued the story, some comments on Twitter are waaay ahead of you :ganishka:(Which is obviously too far-fetched.)
I do think that one of his assistants drew it, but I personally think they did it as a tribute to Miura... Although it's not a good place for that and it just looks like they used fanart to promote the last volume...

Top Bottom