The Big Berserk Exhibition

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Osaka showing has a new reservation bonus: a Dragon Slayer paper knife.

Osaka-DS-commemorative1.jpg
Osaka-DS-commemorative2.jpg

For anyone who was interested in the made to order high quality framed reproduction prints from the exhibit, they have started to ship out(got mine today) and are already appearing for sale online. They seem to be going for at least double retail price though.

Hello folks, I just made an account the other day. I've been aware of this community for a while, but only in the past months I've build up the motivation to actually join (so far I've been active on Reddit, but I'm considering to leave the sub).
I haven't posted anything here yet as I need to familiarize with the forum and see if any of the content or questions I'd like to post would fit in pre-existing threads or have been answered already.

For now I guess I'll begin with this: I noticed that Chica Umino back in September made this post on her Twitter as she visited the Berserk Exhibition:

And by doing a rough translation (both with Google Translate and DeepL) of the accompanying text, it seems she says to have contributed to the original design of Chitch.
Could someone provide a correct translation and confirm or deny that? Now that I think about this, I wouldn't be surprised if Chitch's design had a contribution from Chica Umino since her style really has that type of cuteness to it.
I thought to post this question in the existing Chitch thread, but since it's related to the Exhibition I hope it's not a problem to have asked here and not revive an older thread for a question of this kind.

The interview video was I think around 5 minutes. He was wearing a sweater, glasses, no hat. And like mentioned, he just seemed all around super healthy. You can see him quite up close in the video.
I've been wondering if the video interview actually showed Miura himself up close or if he would be hidden or if the camera would avoid his face (I know that's pretty common) but from what I gather, you could see him directly all the time? I'm glad for those that were able to see it, and I hope it will be shared online once the Exhibitions are over, it would be so nice to see him in a video at least once... Although I doubt it might happen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hello folks, I just made an account the other day.

Hi and welcome!

And by doing a rough translation (both with Google Translate and DeepL) of the accompanying text, it seems she says to have contributed to the original design of Chitch.

That's not at all what she's saying. She just says the shikishi (an illustration on a special type of Japanese paper) she drew for the exhibition depicts Chich. There's about two dozen of these featured at the event from Miura's friends and peers.

In general, I strongly advise against relying on machine translation to understand foreign languages, especially if you're not familiar with them at all. It creates a lot of misunderstandings.

I've been wondering if the video interview actually showed Miura himself up close or if he would be hidden or if the camera would avoid his face (I know that's pretty common) but from what I gather, you could see him directly all the time? I'm glad for those that were able to see it, and I hope it will be shared online once the Exhibitions are over, it would be so nice to see him in a video at least once... Although I doubt it might happen.

From what people say, Miura is fully visible in the video, yes. It was originally planned to be exclusive and only shown to a small group of people during the private preview of the exhibition. That may be why he wasn't concealed. As for it being shared online... We'll see, but I'm not optimistic. I do hope a transcript gets published eventually... Of course I also hope the exhibition lasts until after Japan reopen its borders so that I can see it in person.

Thanks for the welcome and for replying!

That's not at all what she's saying. She just says the shikishi (an illustration on a special type of Japanese paper) she drew for the exhibition depicts Chich. There's about two dozen of these featured at the event from Miura's friends and peers.

In general, I strongly advise against relying on machine translation to understand foreign languages, especially if you're not familiar with them at all. It creates a lot of misunderstandings.
I see, thanks for the correction! I wonder how this shikishi illustration looks like...
As for the machine translation, I'm aware of its flaws, and I'm so thanksful to have found a community here that can help with Japanese!
I still use Google Translate / DeepL a lot since those can come handy for quick yet very rough translations of the many things I usually see on Twitter or various sites on a daily basis (like soundtrack booklet transcriptions or other articles I find online) and also because English isn't my first language and occasionally I still need a fast translation.
I navigate and translate such things too frequently so asking for a person to translate loads of random things isn't plausible, but I'll try to ask here for relevant content I may find!

From what people say, Miura is fully visible in the video, yes. It was originally planned to be exclusive and only shown to a small group of people during the private preview of the exhibition. That may be why he wasn't concealed. As for it being shared online... We'll see, but I'm not optimistic. I do hope a transcript gets published eventually... Of course I also hope the exhibition lasts until after Japan reopen its borders so that I can see it in person.
Sadly travelling to Japan isn't a convenient option for me... I'd spend too much money and I can't afford that. I'd rather wait (or hope... I don't know how plausible it is to happen) for an international replica of the Berserk Exhibition, if it'll be anywhere in Europe relatively close to Italy I may seriously consider doing that. It must be something truly magical to attend to and it would be an incredible experience.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I see, thanks for the correction! I wonder how this shikishi illustration looks like...

You're welcome. Those illustrations are understandably not being shown online so that people have an incentive to visit the exhibition.

As for the machine translation, I'm aware of its flaws, and I'm so thanksful to have found a community here that can help with Japanese!
[...]
I navigate and translate such things too frequently so asking for a person to translate loads of random things isn't plausible, but I'll try to ask here for relevant content I may find!

Just to be clear, there isn't always going to be someone ready to translate things for you. That shouldn't be your expectation. I just meant to warn you against potentially major misinterpretations, like this idea you had that Umino Chica had designed the character of Chich.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Did the announce a release of the art book beyond the exhibit? I know they said they would at some point.

Not yet, and it may take a while. They said they would make it available after the exhibition is over, but we don't how many locations they have planned after Osaka.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
I read the Interview that's in THE ARTWORK OF BERSERK [found an Italian translation]
It's REALY good.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Some small news about the Ginza edition (the fourth installment of the exhibition). There will be a new kind of painting reproduction that includes a 3D effect. They're calling these "Chara Fine Graph CONVEX" and they are created using 3D printing. Apparently the manufacturer applies various layers of ink to more faithfully reproduce brush strokes and the like. Three paintings will be offered, but they'll only be available in limited numbers and the "lucky customers" authorized to buy them will be chosen based on a lottery system. They also come with a "Startrail" NFT that's supposed to act like a digital certificate of authenticity (but is really a worthless gimmick).

CharaFine-Convex01.jpg
CharaFine-Convex02.jpg
CharaFine-Convex03.jpg

The costs are prohibitive: 660,000 yen (about $4600) for the one with Guts and Griffith, 550,000 yen (around $3850) for the other two. Dimensions are as follow:

Guts & Griffith: 544 mm × 620 mm × 1 mm (with the frame: 595 mm × 670 mm × 50 mm)
Guts & Zodd: 540 mm × 464 mm × 1 mm (with the frame: 673 mm × 598 mm × 40 mm)
Skull Knight: 479 mm × 554 mm × 1 mm (with the frame: 556 mm × 631 mm × 40 mm)

Additionally, a shop called the "MG Café" on the 8th floor of Matsuya Ginza (the department store where the exhibition takes place) will offer Berserk-themed food and drinks. Confusingly, this is a different place and a different operation from the Berserk Café that was recently announced. It's possible the menu items will end up being the same but not guaranteed. In any case, here are the ones listed on the press release.

MidlandDrink.jpg
KYOKARI-KUROI-KASHI-LATTE.jpg
IKAIENOYOBIFUROTO.jpg

They have names that (rather lazily) reference Berserk in Japanese. There's three cocktails named Red Midland (with gin), Black Midland (with tequila) and White Midland (with vodka), an "ice cream float from another world" (refers to how beherits are described during the Eclipse), a Japanese curry that's a pun on the Japanese word for "berserk", "Sylph noodles" (not pictured) which is apparently an assortment of pasta and salad, a "black pastry" that's a pun on Black Swordsman, a "parfait of light" (not pictured) that's a nod at Griffith, and a "Latte between this world and the ethereal world" (reference to the Interstice).

Edit: Adding this picture of the Serpico pasta dish and the Griffith parfait after they were posted on Twitter.

SylphPasta.jpg
Parfait.jpg

On the bright side, they're decently priced. A latte is 990 yen, the float is 1100 yen, the two desserts are 1430 yen each, the curry is 1540 yen, the pasta are 1595 yen, and the cocktails are 1210 yen each.

In addition to that, coasters based on illustrations from the Golden Age movie trilogy will be given out with each order. There will be seven illustrations, handed out at random. They will also be displaying some of the art from the movies. This ties in to the Memorial Edition TV series that was fashioned from the movies and will debut on Tokyo MX on October 2 at 00:30.

Coasters.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom