Elden Ring (New From Soft Game)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
In the span of 24 hours I went from 0 Dragon Hearts to 8.
8!

515bcb6SwBL._SX342_.jpg

609.jpg

SAT_DRAGONHEARD_FIRE_AND_STEEL_1.jpg

pic829248.jpg

That's a lot of dragon hearts.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Me finding another spell to use: "cool I guess"
Me finding a faith based incantation or spell "I NEVER GET TO USE ANY COOL MAGIC THIS SUCKS I SHOULD HAVE LEVELED FAITH NO WAIT I SHOULD HAVE LEVELED ARCANE"

Loving the game but have been stuck trying to beat
Melania
the past 5 days or so doing minimal progress outside of that. Rough fight but I really wanted to beat it without summons but now even with summons it's rough lol

Tried:
INT/DEX build with Moonveil and some cold magic/Ranni's hat(orginal I know)
Zweihander with bloodhound step hoping to bleed proc
Moonlight Greatsword which just had too little reach and I never seemed to connect hits without trading blows and her healing
Upped arcane a bit on a rebirth to use Rivers of Blood
Upgraded Crystal Straight sword with scarlet rot, which I thought worked on her but it didn't really seem to catch, noticed she staggers a bit easily with spin attack, tried using that more but no good
Zweihander with bleed put on it and spin attack
Zweihander with cold magic so I could proc bleed and cold and scale with int
Zweihander with poison and the mushroom hat/talisman that makes you hit harder if somebody is poisoned or scarlet rotted
Wore the talismans and gear that allowed me to use a great shield and Mohg's spear that punctures blood from the sky and adds bleed fire to it
Nagakiba with seppuku on it since she'd proc bleed every 3-5 hits with that
Dual katana(rivers of blood and moonveil)
Dual katana but with Nagakiba and Rivers of blood putting seppuku onto the naga again which ended up being what most consistently got me to phase 2

Of course what got me the most in phase 1 was the infamous homing multi-slashes which I still can only dodge every once and a while and if she uses it while you're low on stamina or too close or in a corner you're screwed. with each weapon combo above I'd get her to phase 2 the first try, die, then almost never get her to phase 2 again other than when I used Rivers of Blood's weapon art.

in Phase 2 I'd try to blast her with the comet azur after a mixed potion of "spend no FP, boost magic" while she's in frozen mode post-explosion which takes her down to 40-30% and then I'd eat shit every time

Finally decided I'd try to summon to just get this over with instead of doing another rebirth into being able to use a better great shield and STR weapon that can stagger her easier but phase 2 just sort of blasts whatever summon you have down while healing herself massively and I still haven't gotten her close to dead.

I got okay at dodging her phase 1stuff but now I have to get used to phase 2 which I don't always make it to so it's hard to get it all down and not be in a pulse-pounding adrenaline rush just hoping to get luck killing her.

The Demon of Hatred and Sword Saint Isshin didn't even give me a quarter this much trouble but I guess if you get used to Sekiro's mechanics you're good since every boss is built around that play style. Nameless King did make me take an extended indefinite break from DS3 instead of beating it right after it came out but I really don't want to give up on her because sunk cost fallacy set in.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Me finding another spell to use: "cool I guess"
Me finding a faith based incantation or spell "I NEVER GET TO USE ANY COOL MAGIC THIS SUCKS I SHOULD HAVE LEVELED FAITH NO WAIT I SHOULD HAVE LEVELED ARCANE"

Haha, it's been the reverse for me, I have an enormous amount of cool sorceries I'm not using and I grumble everytime I find a new one. I do have a bunch of great incantations though, so I'm not complaining TOO much.

Griffith

I ignore all my awesome spells and incantations and just roll at guys, spam Rivers of Blood's weapon art combo, and when I'm done they're dead or close to it. I didn't even respec to have high Dex and Arcane. Try it now before the next round of nerfs!

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
I ignore all my awesome spells and incantations and just roll at guys, spam Rivers of Blood's weapon art combo, and when I'm done they're dead or close to it. I didn't even respec to have high Dex and Arcane. Try it now before the next round of nerfs!
INT build with Ranni's Dark Moon + Adulla's Moonblade + Carian Regal Scepter + Moonveil Katana + Comet Azure = unstoppable.
Ice Wizard Supremacy!!!

I agree with everything except the horse bit. I don’t think the game engine could handle two players on horse back. At least not the last gen consoles.
Red Dead Redemption 2 had an online mode with dozens of people and hundreds of NPCs on horseback, at the same time. That was last gen too. I really doubt this is the reason.

I believe they locked the horse because of story reasons. As in, from each player's PoV, they're that special Tarnished whom Torrent chose for a rider. They didn't wanna break that impression in multiplayer. Wouldn't be the first time Miyazaki did something for such reasons.

Still a bummer not to have the horse in multiplayer though and I wish they'd find a work around if my reasoning is correct.

Griffith

INT build with Ranni's Dark Moon + Adulla's Moonblade + Carian Regal Scepter + Moonveil Katana + Comet Azure = unstoppable.
Ice Wizard Supremacy!!!

I'm running something similar but less optimized, more varied: 57 INT (I reach 70 with Godrick's rune, Stargazer talisman, and Renna's dumb hat), Veteran's armor, Dragoncrest +2 talisman (40 physical damage reduction across the board, 25-30 on "elemental" damage), Moonveil & Longbow in my right hand, Rivers of Blood & Lusat's offhand. Great dual wield moveset: R1 for speed, R2 for poke, L1 for power combos, Moonveil L2 for quick cheese, and I two hand the Rivers of Blood and spam its L2 death combo when I really need to kill something big. Then there's the nuclear option: switch to upgraded Lusat's, hit that Physick with unlimited FP + enhanced magic damage, drop a fuckin' moon on 'em to say hello, and then... KA... ME... HA... ME... HAAAAAAAA!!!!

InfiniteWhirlwindHyracotherium-max-1mb.gif

:ganishka:

I love the magic in this game, in Demon's Souls OP was the starter magic missile, and here it's:

avengers-infinity-war-thanos.jpg

+

2833f34cc9e29d5a3df4e1a06f8c7f16.gif

I believe they locked the horse because of story reasons. As in, from each player's PoV, they're that special Tarnished whom Torrent chose for a rider. They didn't wanna break that impression in multiplayer. Wouldn't be the first time Miyazaki did something for such reasons.

That's insane but I would totally believe it, or my explanation for all the unfriendly multiplayer options: cause that's just how it works in these games! People think this series is so esoteric and opaque purely by design, but I think half of it is bizarre internal Miyazaki logic about the "natural laws" of these worlds... that then just carry over to the next game but with no explanation. For example, Rune Arcs are basically Embers from DS3, which are Humanity from DS1, which rats still carry for no lore reason anymore (or, if there is, it's BS =). The most fundamental example is the phantoms and fog doors, which make absolutely no sense except in, and if you've played, Demon's Souls! I was shocked to learn this the first time I played DeS, "Oh shit, this game is actually ABOUT fog and phantoms!"

Last edited:
That's insane but I would totally believe it, or my explanation for all the unfriendly multiplayer options: cause that's just how it works in these games! People think this series is so esoteric and opaque purely by design, but I think half of it is bizarre internal Miyazaki logic about the "natural laws" of these worlds... that then just carry over to the next game but with no explanation. For example, Rune Arcs are basically Embers from DS3, which are Humanity from DS1, which rats still carry for no lore reason anymore (or, if there is, it's BS =). The most fundamental example is the phantoms and fog doors, which make absolutely no sense except in, and if you've played, Demon's Souls! I was shocked to learn this the first time I played DeS, "Oh shit, this game is actually ABOUT fog and phantoms!"
You know, I always did wonder what the hell those phantoms and fog doors were still doing being there, after DeS :ganishka:

But yeah, I do appreciate the thought they put into their games, which is why I would take proposed story/lore reasons seriously. For example, my friend likes to complain about Bloodborne's blood vials not replenishing like Estus Flasks. I explained to him that this is for story reasons, that Yharnam essentially made a business out of blood-healing, selling vials by the score to all sorts of sick folks. That's why you're expected to continue buying those blood vials instead of having them automatically ("magically") fill up again. I went deeper into how this made the city grow too fast for its own good and wrecked everything and so on. He wasn't convinced and said I was full of crap, but this reason sounds good enough to me :ganishka:

I basically followed similar reasoning for Torrent and him not being available in co-op.

But yes, if anyone can explain those fog gates and phantoms, I'd be curious to hear it!

Griffith

You know, I always did wonder what the hell those phantoms and fog doors were still doing being there, after DeS :ganishka:

Glad it's not just me! That game essentially functions as Fog Doors & Phantoms: The Origin Story.

But yeah, I do appreciate the thought they put into their games, which is why I would take proposed story/lore reasons seriously.

What's funny is the need to explain these functions in a story way that's actually more broken and makes less sense then if they just had vanilla multiplayer without comment. If anything, it makes the multiplayer stick out more unnaturally and most people playing probably just think it's especially weird in these games. I actually like Dark Souls forced, passive-aggressive multiplayer though.

For example, my friend likes to complain about Bloodborne's blood vials not replenishing like Estus Flasks.

I know it sucks if you get stuck on a boss and have to start farming for vials, but that's rare, not too much of a hardship, and you get to carry 20+ of them with the Regain mechanic to boot! I thought it was all part of the Bloodborne "more fun" mentality along with not caring about armor, shields, carry weight, plus forcing you into a fast roll build and only including the best weapons; they're literally tricked out. :badbone:

I explained to him that this is for story reasons, that Yharnam essentially made a business out of blood-healing, selling vials by the score to all sorts of sick folks. That's why you're expected to continue buying those blood vials instead of having them automatically ("magically") fill up again. I went deeper into how this made the city grow too fast for its own good and wrecked everything and so on. He wasn't convinced and said I was full of crap, but this reason sounds good enough to me :ganishka:

Bloodborne headcanon is the most authoritative headcanon... once you actually open your eyes, the eyes on the inside! :idea:

Glad it's not just me! That game essentially functions as Fog Doors & Phantoms: The Origin Story.
Now that we're talking about this, I got to thinking for some potential explanations, if you're interested in hearing them:

1. In Dark Souls, I remember Solaire explaining the flow of time in Lordran being "distorted", where past, present, and future are intertwined. Therefore the phantoms you see around you are simply other folks wandering the same area, but in a different time!
2. In Bloodborne, you could chalk the phantoms up to the Hunter going nuts and seeing things as he/she explores the nightmare. Or it could be your character peering into hidden realities, and ending up with a similar situation as Dark Souls. Seeing past surface level realities is one of the game's major themes after all, so this isn't necessarily an asspull.
3. In Elden Ring, well...I don't have a theory yet, but if you have ideas, please do share!

None of this explains those damn fog gates though :ganishka:

My point is, even if we don't always have positive reasons for those functions, they don't break logic either. And we can fill in the gaps with a little imagination/interpretation.

Sekiro is the one that got away. No multiplayer, no problems! My friend was right, co-op does ruin everything!

Now I'm thinking about another recurring function: why enemies respawn.

1. In Dark Souls, everyone is undead, just like you. So as you respawn, so do the enemies.
2. In Bloodborne, you're reliving the same night over and over until you end the nightmare.
3. In Sekiro, everyone drank the rejuvenating waters, rendering them immortal.
4. In Elden Ring, the grace floating down from the Erdtree is constantly bringing everyone back to life. That's why they can't end their conflict. No one stays dead!

But if that's true, why won't the bosses come back? Ah, Miyazaki...the rabbit holes you keep digging for me...
What's funny is the need to explain these functions in a story way that's actually more broken and makes less sense then if they just had vanilla multiplayer without comment. If anything, it makes the multiplayer stick out more unnaturally and most people playing probably just think it's especially weird in these games. I actually like Dark Souls forced, passive-aggressive multiplayer though.
You're definitely right about that. While I do believe my explanation for the horse is correct, it does make the multiplayer stick out more. But I would personally take explanations over no explanations any day. Leaving things unexplained drives me nuts.
This horse thing could have been avoided if they just made Torrent a generic horse. It's not like he plays a major part in the story anyway (as far as I can tell so far).
I know it sucks if you get stuck on a boss and have to start farming for vials, but that's rare, not too much of a hardship, and you get to carry 20+ of them with the Regain mechanic to boot! I thought it was all part of the Bloodborne "more fun" mentality along with not caring about armor, shields, carry weight, plus forcing you into a fast roll build and only including the best weapons; they're literally tricked out. :badbone:
Plus it adds another layer to the gameplay: resource management.

In the end I told him if he kept constantly having to farm vials then he's doing something wrong, or that he just plain sucks. That didn't go too well :ganishka:

In any case, it's not like story/lore explanations have to be the only explanations to any given function. It could be story reasons plus gameplay reasons and so on. Overall, FromSoft don't just lump things together haphazardly. Everything from item locations to enemy placements usually makes a lot of sense, and puts other games to shame.

Bloodborne headcanon is the most authoritative headcanon... once you actually open your eyes, the eyes on the inside! :idea:
*Visions of big, brainy eye monster*. Yeah, don't get me started on all that eye crap. That was just weird :ganishka:

Last edited:
Red Dead Redemption 2 had an online mode with dozens of people and hundreds of NPCs on horseback, at the same time. That was last gen too. I really doubt this is the reason.

Still a bummer not to have the horse in multiplayer though and I wish they'd find a work around if my reasoning is correct.
It’s possible but I’m still not convinced. Red dead 2 had barely anything going on in the world NPC and enemy wise compared to this game. Sometimes when a lot is going on some of the enemies look like a slide show in my game. I can’t imagine how it would look it you had multiple people all riding on horses at the same time. Still I’m not a game developer so you might be right about it being more of a style choice. I would prefer that to be the reason so they can add it later.

Griffith

Sometimes when a lot is going on some of the enemies look like a slide show in my game.

I had almost no technical issues related to graphic performance until yesterday after the latest patch. Suddenly it was chugging, but they did add a second glintstone dragon to the area I was in, and it was getting stuck on shit and stuttering, doing all sorts of weird movement, which made me think they broke the fucking game, but that was it and everything else seemed normal, so maybe it was just a coincidence and/or the double dragon factor. Mostly I was relieved they seemingly didn't further nerf Moonveil, Rivers of Blood or Comet Azur.

I can’t imagine how it would look it you had multiple people all riding on horses at the same time. Still I’m not a game developer so you might be right about it being more of a style choice. I would prefer that to be the reason so they can add it later.

Yeah, it should be doable, just don't know if From Soft is actually going to do it. I am curious if they'll do story DLC though and what that would entail since their DLC has usually stood out as pretty excellent, if not essential or the best part of some games. Like I said though, I don't have a complete enough picture to know what aspects I'd want them to expand on yet. I'm guessing an expansion of the map or a new area off of it, they could also make it underground like the eternal cities.

Anyway, besides gearing up my build with more magic buffing spells and equipment, the big thing I did last night was unbound the rune of death! It was a pretty standout boss fight, like this guy reminded me of a combination of Artorias and Ludwig, and was somehow more intimidating than that even sounds. His movement, especially vertically, was crazy and I never felt safe and basically like I could die at any moment. Especially when he was in the air, and sometimes out of sight, with those AoE proc'ing projectiles that literally cut down your health bar. Dude's a nightmare. Fortunately, you can power through the first phase, and with me and my Mimic spamming Rivers of Blood's weapon art in the second, it was only a matter of staying close where he's actually less dangerous and praying for good RNG when he jumped. End this fight fast, because you're not going to last.

So I’ve been debating with my brother about how this game stacks up to the likes of dark souls 1 and demons souls. I don’t think there’s much point in comparing them since this is the first true open world game. He hates the fast travel system and feels the player should earn it. He also feels the input reading by enemies in this game is the worst by far. I personally think he needs to take off the rose tinted glasses.

Though I have seen some videos on Reddit of a guy using a staff like a conductor to make enemies roll on command.

Was input reading really not a big deal in dark souls 1 and demons souls? I played dark souls 1 but honestly can’t remember it being worse or better than any other souls game.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fast travel is a natural solution for the expansion of the world. And as for “input reading” I guess you mean when you get punished by a boss for using a flask? Not sure I understand the problem.

Update from me: Just made it to Altus Plateau. Still loving it, and I finally invested enough points in Int to use the Moonveil, and it’s completely changed how I play. Lv 57 now, with about 42h.

Fast travel is a natural solution for the expansion of the world. And as for “input reading” I guess you mean when you get punished by a boss for using a flask? Not sure I understand the problem.

Update from me: Just made it to Altus Plateau. Still loving it, and I finally invested enough points in Int to use the Moonveil, and it’s completely changed how I play. Lv 57 now, with about 42h.
The flask thing he and other people made a big deal about yes. I do acknowledge it exists. People say it takes them out of the experience when they feel like the AI is responding to their button inputs. It’s hyperbole. But the most annoying part in his particular case is that he won’t acknowledge the same thing existed in demon souls or dark souls 1.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
People say it takes them out of the experience when they feel like the AI is responding to their button inputs.
Yeah but isn’t that just smart design? I know you’re only the messenger here, I simply don’t understand the objection. A dumb enemy would continue on a script regardless of your actions. Then it’d be like a Mega Man boss fight. No offense, Mega Man.

Griffith

So I’ve been debating with my brother about how this game stacks up to the likes of dark souls 1 and demons souls. I don’t think there’s much point in comparing them since this is the first true open world game.

Interesting that you're comparing them to those two and not more recent entries like Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, etc. Now you could argue it's the open world thing, but while Dark Souls and Sekiro don't have the same scale, they certainly have large, inter-connected worlds, while BB and DS3 are more linear and curated experiences. I think part of the reason is my observation that this game's look and feel is most similar to early Souls, and maybe the most like Dark Souls 2.

He hates the fast travel system and feels the player should earn it.

While I don't hold it against Elden Ring because I think it would have been too tedious at this size, and against the spirit of freedom and exploration the game is cultivating, this is a huge factor in Dark Souls' unique appeal, and unfortunately distinct since every game since has increasingly gone teleport crazy, starting with Dark Souls 2 giving you the option before you even know what you're doing. Bloodborne at least made the teleport a waypoint to the Hunter's Dream so you wouldn't abuse it as a travel option if you could just run to the destination, but DS3 lost its mind where it could literally have 3 bonfires in a row after you complete a boss room.

He also feels the input reading by enemies in this game is the worst by far. I personally think he needs to take off the rose tinted glasses.

Though I have seen some videos on Reddit of a guy using a staff like a conductor to make enemies roll on command.
And as for “input reading” I guess you mean when you get punished by a boss for using a flask?

The Tarnished One does savor that shit, and the bosses are ON TO IT. I just make sure I'm not too close, it's an upgrade like Walter said: if you're brazenly trying to heal next them, they'll hit you out of it and mitigate the benefit. Some of these motherfuckers will also dodge your arrow/spell every fucking time, no matter when or how quick you get it off unless you catch them mid-animation, which means they possibly already know what to pull out if you're pressing a quick R1 as opposed to a slower R2. Like a fighting game AI when it's quarter taking time, though I'm skeptical as to the degree this matters and chalk such talk up more to salt and conspiratorial thinking. Honestly, I don't think the AI is much tougher, or cheaper, in this game than the others, or much different at all.

Update from me: Just made it to Altus Plateau. Still loving it, and I finally invested enough points in Int to use the Moonveil, and it’s completely changed how I play.

"Now I cheese everything with that L2+R2!" =) Yeah, the Katanas are the way to go. I lament that I didn't use Moonveil more when it had even faster startup and the beam had strong poise and shield break, but it's still my primary weapon for the utility and crazy INT scaling. They outright massacred my boy Sword of Night and Flame too, but I've pretty much recaptured all it's abilities and more.

That area is also very cool, and it keeps feeling like the stakes are rising (the color scheme and dudes at the start reminded me of Sekiro for some reason). What's been the biggest "Wow" moment from an enemy/boss standpoint for you so far?

Yeah but isn’t that just smart design? I know you’re only the messenger here, I simply don’t understand the objection. A dumb enemy would continue on a script regardless of your actions. Then it’d be like a Mega Man boss fight. No offense, Mega Man.

paulie-sopranos.gif

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"Now I cheese everything with that L2+R2!" =)
Wait, I can use R2?! I've been doing L2+R1 all this time. To elaborate, that ability (its speed and ability to stun enemies), and the overall damage increase I had in using the Moonveil, allowed me to take on enemies much heftier than I probably should have been able to. Like in Caelid, for example. I lost 20K souls, then made up for it in about 10 minutes. And at level 50? Pretty decent!

Honestly, I don't think the AI is much tougher, or cheaper, in this game than the others, or much different at all.

Same. Healing right next to a boss? That's just asking for it, and I recall getting punished for it back in Dark Souls 1 often. Enemies should be smart within reason, especially bosses. Nothing has felt unfair yet, and to me that's the real litmus test for if the programming is TOO smart.

What's been the biggest "Wow" moment from an enemy/boss standpoint for you so far?
Top of mind is the dragon that greets you at the plateau :magni:

Well it’s not exactly “healing right next to a boss” when you’re in a small room and don’t have a choice. The first personal example he gave was the boss at the bottom of the divine tower of Caelid. He never fails to throw out a ranged flame attack on command when you use a flask. Did you guys see that Reddit video I posted also? I know it’s not intentional by from software but it does kind of seem like some enemies weren’t programmed correctly in that video.

To be clear I also think this mindset is more salt while people with differing opinions would label me as “coping” for the games shortcomings and “poor design.” Like every rando is some expert on making an AI in a huge open world game. I think less could go wrong AI wise in demon souls and dark souls simply because those were smaller games. I also agree that fast travel in huge games is a necessary evil from the get go. I wonder how many people stopped playing dragons dogma early due to the lack of an early fast travel system in that game. Obviously it could’ve used a horse too. But I digress.

We did actually compare it to dark souls 3 where apparently AI shenanigans also happen but I never noticed it personally.

I can understand being hyper critical of a series that you love. But sometimes it can cross over into bad faith arguments.

Last edited:

Griffith

Wait, I can use R2?! I've been doing L2+R1 all this time.

Oh yeah, and that's the one! R1 is good for backing up groups or if you need a fatal attack out just a bit faster though.

To elaborate, that ability (its speed and ability to stun enemies), and the overall damage increase I had in using the Moonveil, allowed me to take on enemies much heftier than I probably should have been able to. Like in Caelid, for example. I lost 20K souls, then made up for it in about 10 minutes. And at level 50? Pretty decent!

Yeah, I started experimenting with it situationally as an alternative to my longswords, then when the Night & Flame got nerfed to hell made the switch. Now the same thing is happening with Rivers of Blood. If I wasn't still enjoying the nuke factor of comet Azur I'd spec into a bleed build and probably tear all the way through NG+. I should probably get on that before they nerf bleed.

Top of mind is the dragon that greets you at the plateau :magni:

That was my way of bringing it up without spoiling it in case you hadn't gone up there yet. =)

Well it’s not exactly “healing right next to a boss” when you’re in a small room and don’t have a choice. The first personal example he gave was the boss at the bottom of the divine tower of Caelid. He never fails to throw out a ranged flame attack on command when you use a flask.

It's not so much proximity as what they're doing at the time. Those guys do always seemingly nail me with that when I try healing, but that's because I wasn't waiting for the right moment, and it's basically what we do to them; wait to strike when they're vulnerable. Like Walter said, we don't want them to be dumb or random. Funny aside, I took that guy out with little trouble, but totally got ganked by the two Redmane Knights in the hallway at the beginning of the way down to him. It was a humbling reminder that even lowest enemies in these games can be dangerous if you're being complacent.

Did you guys see that Reddit video I posted also? I know it’s not intentional by from software but it does kind of seem like some enemies weren’t programmed correctly in that video.

I guess, but this whole series doesn't do things "correctly.":shrug:

To be clear I also think this mindset is more salt while people with differing opinions would label me as “coping” for the games shortcomings and “poor design.” Like every rando is some expert on making an AI in a huge open world game. I think less could go wrong AI wise in demon souls and dark souls simply because those were smaller games.

That's also a factor, those games, especially the last three were much tighter, while this game is probably a mess of code jammed together from all the games before in the name of putting together and populating this huge world. I mean, Souls enemies have always had their quirks; imagine if they never stopped pursuing you once they saw you or didn't retreat back to their patrol zones? People think the AI is so cheap and unforgiving but it basically lets you fight on your terms with the opportunity to strategically cheese dudes almost all the time.

We did actually compare it to dark souls 3 where apparently AI shenanigans also happen but I never noticed it personally.

I find Dark Souls 3 to be very fair if not advantageous to the player, easy backstabs, BB fast rolling, etc. It also has a lot of challenging bosses and interesting weapon mechanics, so in my head it was sort of the most refined until Elden Ring took weapon arts to the next level while simultaneously reincorporating DS2 dual wielding but in the style of DS3 twin weapons (it's basically build your own now, very cool).

I can understand being hyper critical of a series that you love. But sometimes it can cross over into bad faith arguments.

Eh, it's just venting or another way to express one's interest in something they're way too into; one is not studying the AI in multiple games of a series they don't like.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It was a humbling reminder that even lowest enemies in these games can be dangerous if you're being complacent.
It’s one of the things I love about these games. Less so for developed builds, but for a good chunk of time, you have to be careful even with benign threats. Because one bad combo or mistimed roll could cost half your life. Stack that mistake up with picking the wrong time to heal? You’re fucked.

The other day, I was just razing some goats for bones in Limgrave (I still use arrows for ranged even though i have decent spells. I guess to conserve FP, but not sure why exactly) and some moron with a torch completely destroyed me, knocking me off my horse. At like level 55. I kinda admire those guys!

Griffith

It’s one of the things I love about these games. Less so for developed builds, but for a good chunk of time, you have to be careful even with benign threats. Because one bad combo or mistimed roll could cost half your life. Stack that mistake up with picking the wrong time to heal? You’re fucked.

It's why I almost never fuck around when my runes are at stake, because all of sudden every bad break in an encounter that can go against you will and you end up doing equivalent of slipping on a banana peel with a bucket stuck on your head except it says YOU DIED afterward. My favorite is when you re-enter a boss room, make a beeline to collect your souls/runes first thing, but then the guy aggros to heretofore unseen levels and insta-kills you with a combo in the back. :ganishka:

some moron with a torch completely destroyed me, knocking me off my horse. At like level 55. I kinda admire those guys!

I got so fucked up on horseback by one of those husks with a torch early on that I thought they were basically put in the game as an anti-horse balance! Fortunately, not so dominant as he seemed in that moment.

Anyway, I was fighting what I was starting to realize was one of the final bosses, if not the final one, and thought... what about all those other legendary shardbearers everyone is talking about in The Land's Between and on reddit? I thought I'd kind of meet them along the way to the ending, but it seems they're not only almost all optional, but pretty obscure! So, now I'm hunting down those big loose ends before I wrap up NG. I'm conflicted though if I should hold off on NG+ until I explore every nook and cranny, or save something for the next game to add to its replay value. I'm leaning toward the latter as it both rewards my impatience in the short-term while promising to enhance my experience in the long-term.

Update - I need to start using spoiler tags so I don't always have to talk around everything or leave it out, this is concerning the shardbearer located in the northwestern most part of the map: I fought Rykard yesterday afternoon and even though it was largely pageantry with the spear, it was maybe the most visually impressive thing in the game. When he's going full power in the eye of that red hurricane with those red skulls flying at you... wow. :isidro:

Last edited:
Maybe it’s just me but when I walked into Leyndell and saw the Erdtree view I just gasped. AND THEN you get the lower city view I had to stop and take it in.

Oh and getting my hands on the Pizza Saw from BB is really making me think about a full respec even though I can handle just about any situation from melee or ranged.

Just cleared the Shaded Castle too. I thought it would be more like one of those mini dungeon “fort” type areas but as usual the game keeps surprising me.

I’m taking a break and then going to spend a whole day on dungeons next week and I can’t waiiiiiit.

Griffith

Oh and getting my hands on the Pizza Saw from BB is really making me think about a full respec even though I can handle just about any situation from melee or ranged.

Oh hell yeah, this is absolutely happening for me at some point. Of all the crazy weapons to bring back almost unchanged; it even has the continuous saw attack! *vrrrrrrrrrrrrmmm* It has bleed too, so definitely NG+ viable until they nerf that.

Just cleared the Shaded Castle too. I thought it would be more like one of those mini dungeon “fort” type areas but as usual the game keeps surprising me.

I don't even think I've found that place, the game is surprising that way too; half the best stuff is hidden.

Speaking of which, I'm in the northern most area of the map looking for a big fight, and man I'm glad I'm not doing this place on NG+ because it's no picnic. I'm leveling up like crazy here too though, so it's definitely worth the effort. I hope this purportedly undefeated boss isn't going to shatter my confidence.

Top Bottom