Episodes 365 & 366

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
Scenario 1—Rescue Mission
Zodd and the apostles, led by Sonia, are here because their leader went missing mysteriously. Sonia tracked him telepathically and gathered the major apostles, using the World Spiral Tree to cross the distance between them. They're going to do a quick, violent, and effective evacuation of Griffith.

Scenario 2—Coordinated Incursion
Griffith and the apostles had planned for this moment, because Griffith was able to predict the boy's transformation. They're not here to evacuate Griffith, but because he had stowed away through the boy, and his now powerful presence can disrupt the island's defenses, allowing the apostles to find their way to the island. They're here to wreck shit.

Coloring these expectations are the limitations that we know we're working within. Namely, we know that there are only four episodes remaining in the Chapter of Elf Island. That's half the length of the assault on Flora's Mansion. If the apostles were really here to wreck the island and kill all inhabitants, would such a major event go down in just four episodes (particularly given that through this new team, 365-366 flew by)? I don't think so.

What other scenarios do you think there are?
At this point I'm thinking perhaps we will have talking.... these episodes were Gut's chance to swing, swing, swing at Griffith unhindered. It clearly didn't work. Zodd has arrived, but he will follow the lead of Griffith. This next episode will be Griffith's chance to take charge and address Guts, plus everyone else in earshot, without further fighting. Griffith does appear amused and he is in a position to offer a deal to the group besides sending his army.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
I thought about somethig.
Maybe Zodd dalay was simply bacause he waited in the banches, since keeping an eye on the boy on an island when half the populaton can sense you Isn't a smart idea.
Like on the beach, while Griffith was the boy, and wasn't in danger (wll, not exactly in danger, since he's Griffith XD), he didn't reveal himself.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Griffith does appear amused and he is in a position to offer a deal to the group besides sending his army.

I think the full spectrum of Griff's deals amount to you can join him if he wants, he can kill you publically, or he can kill you in secret, and he might do the latter in any case.

As others have said, with only four episodes left and Zodd already swinging I don't know how much room for talking there is. There's hardly even time for much action unless Griffith, Zodd, Sonia etc all just leave under the threat they can return any time now with reinforcements, or lay waste to the place quickly. If we were getting another Chapter in this Arc it could make sense to build up to some Elfhelm offensive with Guts and co basically leading the defense of the island from the Falcons. If I had to guess based on Walter's question and I guess I'd go with quick, highly destructive incursion that prompts their eventual departure (just because that's the simpliest yet most consequential course of action). I don't know though, it'll definitely be a much faster pace if they essentially nuetralize Elfhelm faster than Flora's house!

Maybe Zodd dalay was simply bacause he waited in the banches, since keeping an eye on the boy on an island when half the populaton can sense you Isn't a smart idea.
Like on the beach, while Griffith was the boy, and wasn't in danger (wll, not exactly in danger, since he's Griffith XD), he didn't reveal himself.

I thought of this, and while possible it's odd to think of him just hanging up there and not being sensed anyway, unless while he's in the branches he's still technically not there. We'll see!

Last edited:
For some reason I was under the impression that once you were in the branches you either had to keep moving constantly or the branches themselves pushed you to a direction.
But since I don't remember this being confirmed in any way, I guess they could reveal that he was just camping up there (Though it's weird to think about).

Coloring these expectations are the limitations that we know we're working within. Namely, we know that there are only four episodes remaining in the Chapter of Elf Island. That's half the length of the assault on Flora's Mansion. If the apostles were really here to wreck the island and kill all inhabitants, would such a major event go down in just four episodes (particularly given that through this new team, 365-366 flew by)? I don't think so.

I'd love to think that a full-scale assault on Elfhelm isn't going to unfold over four small episodes...but this isn't Miura's game anymore. This is Mori's and Studio Gaga's, and they're only working on what Miura told them, which means we might very well be in for an epic event that will feel very condensed and/or rushed. :sad: I ran through a third possible scenario akin to Volume 32, where it looks like a massive battle is gearing up, only for events to unfold calling for it to end abruptly (or even before it begins), but even the Kushan's march on and retreat from Vritannis took seven episodes when we take the aftermath into account.

I saw drawings. Honestly its a good start. If they practice a lot this can be really good. And oh my God, everything escalated quickly with new episodes!
Honestly I personally think from what they have shown us that they have a lot of potential. I'm looking forward to keep reading even to just see their art improve.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Based on the preview text, which implies more "darkness" is coming, we can presume that means more apostles, with Zodd at the front of the line.

Initially, I assumed this was a quick evacuation maneuver. But I don't think it's quite that obvious. Because not only does Griffith clearly not need his old bodyguard (never needed him in the first place, other than for PR, I guess), we also know that he can travel through the World Spiral Tree on his own. So then, why even need Zodd if Griffith simply needs to escape?

Here are just a few scenarios that are running through my head:

Scenario 1—Rescue Mission
Zodd and the apostles, led by Sonia, are here because their leader went missing mysteriously. Sonia tracked him telepathically and gathered the major apostles, using the World Spiral Tree to cross the distance between them. They're going to do a quick, violent, and effective evacuation of Griffith.

Scenario 2—Coordinated Incursion
Griffith and the apostles had planned for this moment, because Griffith was able to predict the boy's transformation. They're not here to evacuate Griffith, but because he had stowed away through the boy, and his now powerful presence can disrupt the island's defenses, allowing the apostles to find their way to the island. They're here to wreck shit.

What other scenarios do you think there are?

I've gotta go with Scenario 1. I just don't think there's enough episodes left to do a full-on apostle battle justice. I was hoping for a Guts + Berserk's armor vs. Zodd scenario, but even that would take more episodes than they have left, in my opinion. I think we're gonna get a little more action, a bunch of dialogue, then the chapter will end with Griffith and his cohorts taking their leave. After that, it'll be time for the group to decide who's going with Casca and Guts, 'cause they're definitely gonna go get their kid back.

I think Schierke will have the hardest time leaving, but I think she'll still make the decision to go with the group to the mainland. I'm wondering who else will go with them from Elfhelm. Molda is the most likely, I think, given how her character's been set up. Will any of the gurus go with them? I think it'd be fun to have the old guys tag along, but I just don't know.

After that, it'll be time for the group to decide who's going with Casca and Guts, 'cause they're definitely gonna go get their kid back.
I don't remember where I read it, but didn't Miura explain that the last leg of the story would be focused on guts and skully or that guts would go on a solo journey.

After reading these episodes, I think that I will see this whole continuation project as a weird case of "official Berserk fanfic". I know it sounds weird as a description, but for now, that's the best description that I can give. I knew that I would have a hard time accepting the continuation in manga format, because Miura's ideas would be in it, but the fact that the fleshing-out wouldn't be his was from the start a big dealbreaker for me. That's the reason that now, even more that before, I think that the ideal way to get "more Berserk", or to be more precise, a fitting closure, would be Mori's description of the information he knows about the story, with some of the key moments handled by Studio Gaga. I may sound like a broken record, but Miura is Berserk, that's the way I experienced the story, and that's how I'd want to complete the journey, with him at the helm, even if it means that his artwork would be absent. An almost perfect case would be some special release, thoughts and commentary by his best friend and his apprentices, like a "making of" documentary of a great work. Now, that would be something truly fitting in my opinion. Heartbreaking, but also informing and liberating.

Now, about the episodes. Not much to say really. I won't say that I am disappointed because there are still some very important things that the team has to showcase, and I want to be as fair as I can before I form a definitive opinion. The obvious thing that I have to see and was pretty much absent so I can't really comment on, is the dialogue.

My favourite moment from what we've got so far is the beginning of 365. I actually really like the way it's setting the atmosphere with the creatures noticing a disturbance in the force:griffnotevil: The start looked very promising, the rest of the episodes just reminded me that this is not Berserk. It's something else. What exactly? I can't decide yet.

Berserk ended with episode 364 for me, and reading these episodes made it official. I will experience with curiosity everything that comes next, but to tell you the truth, I'm not interested or invested any more. I won't support this continuation financially, since this is something essentially different in my opinion. I want to clarify that that's not an insult to Mori or Studio Gaga or to everyone who liked the episodes, it's just the way things are from my perspective.

For what is worth, I really wish all the best to everyone involved in this insane task. I feel that anything too harsh or critical that can be said about their work is almost unfair, but on the other hand... they did decide to continue the story, fully realising and knowing the risks of this decision.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I might be wrong cause I haven't yet checked if we have a clear translation of that preview text, but could that preview be talking only about Zodd? Like Griffith being the first dose of darkness on the island and Zodd coming is the "More Darkness" it's talking about?
The preview text at the end of 366 talks about a torrent of darkness (闇の奔流) coming to the island.

To be honest, 4 episodes seem to me a little few to start a fight. I don't know what to think about the ending of this arc and the way could conclude.

The only thing I can think is someone by the Guts' side has a so strong power (Danann?) to surprise Griffth that orders retreat from elfs island. But I don't believe be a convincing idea.
Initially, this sounded farfetched to me. Surprise Griffith? I can't imagine a being like Danan has escaped the God Hand's notice. So her being a powerhouse is probably in his cards. But like Aaz has said for a while, this feels like it could be an opportunity to show the limitations of Griffith's power. Obviously when it's just Guts swinging at him, it's no biggie. But what if Ged and the gurus, Danan and Schierke joined in as well? Maybe he could fend them all off. But maybe he's also pushing his limitations, and that's what causes them to retreat.

I think the alternative, where Ged, the gurus and Danan are shown to be simply outmatched by just one member of the God Hand, it would be pretty dark and hopeless for what we can expect from a final confrontation, where all cards are on the table.

I don't remember where I read it, but didn't Miura explain that the last leg of the story would be focused on guts and skully or that guts would go on a solo journey.
You're remembering what Miura is reported to have said in his pre-recorded statement at the exhibition.

There's no way to confirm any of it (yet!), and I've read conflicting and confusing reports about what was said, so take it all with a grain of salt. But here's a straightforward recounting, courtesy of behegotchi from Twitter: Miura said. "And so the journey that Guts has been on with his friends ends and a new chapter begins. Also, Young Animal is currently running a series about skull knight's past. Please enjoy it."

To be clear, the skull knight's past thing was likely a reference to Ep 362, which was current at the time the interview was recorded. But it does seem to imply that after this encounter, Guts would be on a journey apart from at least some of his friends.

I've gotta go with Scenario 1. I just don't think there's enough episodes left to do a full-on apostle battle justice. I was hoping for a Guts + Berserk's armor vs. Zodd scenario, but even that would take more episodes than they have left, in my opinion. I think we're gonna get a little more action, a bunch of dialogue, then the chapter will end with Griffith and his cohorts taking their leave. After that, it'll be time for the group to decide who's going with Casca and Guts, 'cause they're definitely gonna go get their kid back.
Yep. It is unfortunate that they told us precisely how many episodes were left, otherwise the possibility space of Zodd landing right here, right now, is much more overwhelming.

How this scenario gets resolved will likely spell out a piece for the future. And as of the end of 366, the status quo is unaltered. So the next few eps should be pretty consequential. And if it has to be major... well, then perhaps the tree on the island will become their target. If the tree were to fall, it would presumably be immediately consequential for everyone on the island, particularly if Danan is tied to it and thus the elves derive their protection from it.

Listen, I don't like it either, folks! :judo:

How this scenario gets resolved will likely spell out a piece for the future. And as of the end of 366, the status quo is unaltered. So the next few eps should be pretty consequential. And if it has to be major... well, then perhaps the tree on the island will become their target. If the tree were to fall, it would presumably be immediately consequential for everyone on the island, particularly if Danan is tied to it and thus the elves derive their protection from it.
I like to think back of what Morda talked about in episode 361. Knowing that Elfhelm already withstood an attack successfully, i can imagine them doing it once again. You have SK there, the 4 Gurus, and all those Wicker Men and god knows what other things.

A failed invasion could be concluded in 4 episodes while at the same time adding exposition that would be needed.

One thing im extremely curious about, if we see indeed Sonia arrive next episode, then it will potentially the first piece of information regarding how much time potentially has passed in the outside world.

MASTER-AMIR

Guts The Black Swordsman
Care to elaborate on why…?
I don't like kids around guts and doing funny things in serious situations. don't want to see their power up and fight against The apostles alone. and...

Well, I think most of the users might hate this comment
:guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The preview text at the end of 366 talks about a torrent of darkness (闇の奔流) coming to the island.

I hope you're right and it's not just one of these things where it's restating the obvious like, "Griffith is bringing about a torrent of darkness!"

But like Aaz has said for a while, this feels like it could be an opportunity to show the limitations of Griffith's power. Obviously when it's just Guts swinging at him, it's no biggie. But what if Ged and the gurus, Danan and Schierke joined in as well? Maybe he could fend them all off. But maybe he's also pushing his limitations, and that's what causes them to retreat.

Is it that hard? Or do they just need to bring in their secret weapon:
Tfw+youll+never+get+to+punch+griffith+in+the+face+_0c5724a4bbe953d1933527cf58e5cab4.png

I kid, but this IS the only time Femto has had hands put on him, so maybe the answer to reaching Griffith is something unexpectedly simpler as this suggests. At the very least it proved he can already be touched in a harmful way under the right circumstances. Was it simply that Griff's guard was down, or is there another secret as to why Rickert was able to just walk up and slap the shit out of him? At the very least it suggests his seeming untouchability is a willful manuever, not merely a passive force around him (maybe if they could nuetralize or cut through that maelstrom...). Anyway, so if Guts somehow blindsided him with the Dragon Slayer it should touch him just the same. It would be quite something to actually see Griffith suddenly get bloodied to a pulp and forced to transform into Femto to recover like some common Apostle! Maybe Guts should try slapping him with his prosthetic hand. :guts:

I think the alternative, where Ged, the gurus and Danan are shown to be simply outmatched by just one member of the God Hand, it would be pretty dark and hopeless for what we can expect from a final confrontation, where all cards are on the table.

To the point above, I think Griffith is basically built for all-out magical warfare, like the ultimate strong one weapon, so if they lose it simply confirms there has to be another way.

You're remembering what Miura is reported to have said in his pre-recorded statement at the exhibition.

There's no way to confirm any of it (yet!), and I've read conflicting and confusing reports about what was said, so take it all with a grain of salt. But here's a straightforward recounting, courtesy of behegotchi from Twitter: Miura said. "And so the journey that Guts has been on with his friends ends and a new chapter begins. Also, Young Animal is currently running a series about skull knight's past. Please enjoy it."

To be clear, the skull knight's past thing was likely a reference to Ep 362, which was current at the time the interview was recorded. But it does seem to imply that after this encounter, Guts would be on a journey apart from at least some of his friends.

From the way that's worded, assuming it's accurate, he could also just be describing the end of their current journey to Elfhelm, like the reference to Skull Knight's past, and Guts' friends are being specifically mentioned merely to acknowledge them rather than distinguish between that chapter and the next. It's also a frighteningly prophetic description of what became of the series not long after Miura would have said that; their journey truly did end and now a new chapter is beginning. :sad:

Yep. It is unfortunate that they told us precisely how many episodes were left, otherwise the possibility space of Zodd landing right here, right now, is much more overwhelming.

It's actually kind of disconcerting, there's really not much precedent for encounters as monumental as these being resolved in so few episodes, except...

perhaps the tree on the island will become their target. If the tree were to fall, it would presumably be immediately consequential for everyone on the island, particularly if Danan is tied to it and thus the elves derive their protection from it.

That's an extremely intriguing scenario, and could be analogous to the creation of Fantasia; basically, a quick, direct strike, a few words, and all hell breaks loose. That would be cool.

Listen, I don't like it either, folks! :judo:

Speak for yourself! :zodd:

A failed invasion could be concluded in 4 episodes while at the same time adding exposition that would be needed.

I don't know, we keep expecting a hint of Griffith faltering, but other than rescuing Casca or The Slap he's always on top of these situations. Maybe this will be different, but I'd expect something more like a successful traditional attack, Walter's tree scenario, or basically a declaration of war and invitation to battle like he presented Ganishka. Maybe Guts will finally barely scratch his cheek, "He's cut!"

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

One thing im extremely curious about, if we see indeed Sonia arrive next episode, then it will potentially the first piece of information regarding how much time potentially has passed in the outside world.

Well, if one day is equivalent to about five there (and I'm sure it's flexible =) it shouldn't be like she's years older or to the point her character model has changed. Although... I guess she could look different anyway, so it might be hard to tell.

Most of the fans may not like it, but I hope so guts continue alone his journey.
I don't like kids around guts and doing funny things in serious situations. don't want to see their power up and fight against The apostles alone. and...

If by hate you mean "enthusiastically agree," then you're right about most users! I don't agree with the sentiment about the kiddos because I like them individually and the dynamic they bring to the group and specifically Guts' character as a leader, father figure, protector, and just all-around fuckin' patriarch. Women want him, men want to be him! Schierke and Serpico summed it up best, despite his utter lack of pretension he's a charismatic man that has to be acknowledged, and people want to follow him. Now, because of that, I also think it would be interesting to see how Guts did if he were to have to venture out on his own again, because it's untenable for him and Casca to be together for a while or a disagreement about how to proceed or something. I think we'd definitely see a different Black Swordsman. Also, he'd probably come back with a few more followers or allies... perhaps a group of assassins and a certain god smacking blacksmith? :guts:

Rickert: "We've built it, the ultimate weapon against Griffith..."

MV5BMjVkYTBiZDktZTIxNy00NDc5LTkzZjUtOGI5NDRlNTJhZWQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTcwNTE1Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon

That’s a fair assessment, but if these guys are really following Miura’s wishes, then their inclusion in battles will be much more meaningful then “Guts casts berserk on himself, Schierke casts firaga, Farnese casts curaga.”

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

In normal circumstances, I'd say that it could also take place in two steps, with this confrontation ending with the chapter, and the next one dealing with the invasion and having to fight it off. However given that they said the arc itself is ending, and since they may be skipping certain things... I don't know.

How this scenario gets resolved will likely spell out a piece for the future. And as of the end of 366, the status quo is unaltered. So the next few eps should be pretty consequential. And if it has to be major... well, then perhaps the tree on the island will become their target.

If I may propose an alternative... Maybe Griffith doesn't care so much about the tree (after all, the worlds have already been merged) but about this pesky situation where he doesn't have full control over his body every once in a blue full moon. The surest way to resolve this would be to get rid of daddy and mommy. But maybe doing it himself is difficult, again because of this meddlesome boy whose body he happens to have taken over. So having his servants do the job would be the logical alternative. Just an idea.

Guts has had companions with him since long before you started reading the series, and they've been helping him all this time. If you want a story about a loner hero with no attachments, you should probably read something else.

At the very least it suggests his seeming untouchability is a willful manuever, not merely a passive force around him (maybe if they could nuetralize or cut through that maelstrom...).

I think so, yes.

To the point above, I think Griffith is basically built for all-out magical warfare, like the ultimate strong one weapon, so if they lose it simply confirms there has to be another way.

I'd say there hasn't been any doubt for a long time that the key to defeat Griffith would be Guts and Casca. But still, I don't think it'd be great if he could overwhelm everyone and just gloat. I believe it's got to be something more nuanced, and I'll add that the fact elemental magic was introduced in the series 20 volumes ago has also got to play an eventual role in defeating the enemies, otherwise it serves no purpose. This feels like a good opportunity for magic experts to lift the veil a little bit on the mystery surrounding the God Hand and their power.

From the way that's worded, assuming it's accurate, he could also just be describing the end of their current journey to Elfhelm, like the reference to Skull Knight's past, and Guts' friends are being specifically mentioned merely to acknowledge them rather than distinguish between that chapter and the next.

Yeah, I mean it goes without saying but it's a risky endeavor to try to guess the future based on someone's recollection of what a Japanese person said (the Japanese language lending itself to vagueness and contextual interpretation). Especially since Miura likely wasn't inclined to reveal too much about his plans.

I don't know, we keep expecting a hint of Griffith faltering, but other than rescuing Casca or The Slap he's always on top of these situations.

I mean he has to falter at some point, otherwise he wins in the end. I'm starting to question your agenda here @Griffith! :ganishka:

Well, if one day is equivalent to about five there (and I'm sure it's flexible =) it shouldn't be like she's years older or to the point her character model has changed.

That's right. We saw Griffith leave Falconia, and Danan explained that a full moon in the outside world can last a few days on the island. That means that from Zodd's perspective, only a single night has passed.

I also think it would be interesting to see how Guts did if he were to have to venture out on his own again, because it's untenable for him and Casca to be together for a while or a disagreement about how to proceed or something. I think we'd definitely see a different Black Swordsman. Also, he'd probably come back with a few more followers or allies... perhaps a group of assassins and a certain god smacking blacksmith?

Given the way the island was presented to us, I don't think it would make sense for Guts to venture out while everyone else stayed behind, then return later with reinforcements. Even if the group were to be split off (which I made a thread about a couple of years ago), I believe they'd still all leave the place.

If I may propose an alternative... Maybe Griffith doesn't care so much about the tree (after all, the worlds have already been merged) but about this pesky situation where he doesn't have full control of his body every once in a blue full moon. The surest way to resolve this would be to get rid of daddy and mommy. But maybe doing it himself is difficult, again because of this meddlesome boy whose body he happens to have taken over. So having his servants do the job would be the logical alternative. Just an idea.
I wanted to write the same thing. Yes, it's a possibility.
Given the way the island was presented to us, I don't think it would make sense for Guts to venture out while everyone else stayed behind, then return later with reinforcements.
No, even I don't think Guts will leave Elf Island alone. But do you think someone of the island (for example, Morda or Danann) could go away with the Guts' group? I think Morda will join the group.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
No, even I don't think Guts will leave Elf Island alone. But do you think someone of the island (for example, Morda or Danann) could go away with the Guts' group? I think Morda will join the group.

The names are spelled Molda and Danan, for info. That's how they're written at the beginning of the Japanese volumes. Anyway, I don't think Danan will (or can) leave the island. Molda... It's possible, but I don't know whether that would add much to the story. I think she makes a great foil for Schierke on the island and is a good character to explore while they stay there, but beyond that, I believe the cast of characters is already large enough. My expectations have been that the group would actually decrease in size, going on without Magnifico and Roderick, and maybe without Isma as well. I also think Schierke needs to retain her status and that adding too many witches in the mix would dilute it.

My perspective so far has rather been that the island's denizens would come back to play a role near the end of the story.

Oburi

All praise Grail
My biggest takeaway from this is I realize that more than a Berserk fan, I’m a Miura fan :sad:

Some things look better than others, some not quite right. It’s like when they make a CGI spinoff of characters from a live action show. That uncanny effect. The paneling leaves so much to be desired. Its just not that interesting to read.

I do like the minimal dialogue though. They should continue in this way. Like Aaz said, perhaps the general foundation of Miuras vision for the story is what is most valuable here and going forward.

It’s very difficult to read this with any enthusiasm when you’re second guessing every panel. Count me in the camp of them altering the title or episode numbering.

My biggest takeaway from this is I realize that more than a Berserk fan, I’m a Miura fan :sad:
Had the same realization. Even if we are getting the full story of berserk this way, if its not being delivered with Miura's expression then who cares about the story?

Like cool we may find out about skullknights backstory or the godhand. It could as simple as skullknight was sealed into the armor after his body was destroyed. Big whoop. It's how we see it presented and executed.

I'm curious about the depiction of Griffith's astral form possibly indicating the child's component in his being (e.g., hair is both light and dark, Schierke's and Farnese's txt bubbles appear to it as just scribbles, perhaps due to his lack of normal language development to understand them...otherwise I'm not sure why their conversation is represented as scribbles).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious about the depiction of Griffith's astral form possibly indicating the child's component in his being (e.g., hair is both light and dark, Schierke's and Farnese's txt bubbles appear to it as just scribbles, perhaps due to his lack of normal language development to understand them...otherwise I'm not sure why their text is represented as scribbles).

I'm not sure it's meant to be their talk from his perspective, rather it could be them saying an incantation to return to their body. It's been shown like that a number of times before.

As for the light & dark aspect of his astral figure... The darkness going all the way up to the hair is reminiscent of the transformation into the boy, as is the weird shape that it has, evoking a dual identity of some kind, but I also wonder if it couldn't be a hint of "Femto" being underneath. Because I'm not sure how the Griffith/Femto thing would work otherwise.

Top Bottom