What are you watching? (television thread)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to season 2 at the docks!? Huh? Huh!? HUUUUH!!!
As usual, I'll just skip that one. :casca: The absolute hubris of that being their follow-up to the amazing first season is almost -- but not quite -- Twin Peaks Season 2 territory.

I may have asked this before, but as a professional journalist what was your take on the more out there elements of season 5? Completely bonkers, or a dramatization of games reporters and police actually play to varying degrees?
The NEWS part of Season 5 always felt like a Marvel comics-style portrayal of how a scandal could go down. That sticks out because most of the other seasons have subdued, realistic portrayals. But this big showdown is exaggerated to demonstrate that a big incendiary event, capable of burning the heads of all three institutions, (police, city hall, and news) would necessitate them conspiring together to contain the damage. But ... in real life, these are three entities with many variables between them, and to top it off, none of them trust each other. So it would be pretty much impossible to contain such a thing. But all of that is a vehicle to show how they are intertwined, which is a way of wrapping the show's different focuses together in a nice... big... burrito.

[...] a way of wrapping the show's different focuses together in a nice... big... burrito.
:ubik::ubik:In a way, the season finale opener will never not be funny to me. Carcetti was such an amazing character. I wanted to slap his face multiple times, but still good!!

Man vs Bee, starring Rowan Atkinson. A delightful little miniseries. It will take less than 2 hours of your time to finish, so check it out!

I'm thinking of watching the Boys, as I keep being pressured by friends to check it out. I just find it hard to build up the motivation to watch shows that I've delayed this for a long time. Anyone seen this?

I'm thinking of watching the Boys, as I keep being pressured by friends to check it out. I just find it hard to build up the motivation to watch shows that I've delayed this for a long time. Anyone seen this?
I'm enjoying it a lot. I think you will be able to tell from the first episode if it's something you'll want to continue watching. The characters are pretty great and it feels like they all have agency, especially in this most recent season.

Stranger Things, I'm finding this series mostly a mixed bag, with ups and downs ever since S1 ended and oddly enough I'm having more issues with the Duffer brothers written-directed episodes and I'm enjoying my time a lot more whenever Shawn Levy (he's seriously one of the directors nowadays that seems he can't miss a hit) or other directors join the season... It turned out true also for S4, so I suppose I might even finish this season (currently at ep.4), but I'm not expecting much. Honestly it's strange but also satisfying that for the first time in the series the "villain of the season" seems to be an actual character rather than just creatures / mass of fog / rotten meat lol.

Mindhunter. Being able to watch and support quality content like this is one of the reasons I chose to get a Netflix subscription and am happy for it. This seems to me like it has David Fincher written all over it, and the man himself also directed a significant chunck of episodes. I'm really happy for what I'm seeing here, it has really solid cast, I was surprised by Jonathan Groff and most of all I'm delighted by Holt McCallany whenever he's onscreen, the show has and excellent pacing that takes its time and doesn't push to be hugely eventful like other would be and I'm really appreciating it for this. Looking forward to finish S1 and hopefully S2 within the next couple of weeks... I also hope that S3 will be greenlit soon.
Also, I have to admit, lately I'm realizing that I'm enjoying a whole lot more content that's more aimed at adults and this falls just in this category.

Peaky Blinders. I finished S1 earlier this week, had a blast with it and I'm shocked by how good it is. I'm watching way too much stuff but I'll make sure to watch the following seasons.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Man vs Bee, starring Rowan Atkinson. A delightful little miniseries. It will take less than 2 hours of your time to finish, so check it out!

I keep seeing this and I do get a kick out of it. At first I thought it was a Mr. Bean revival.

Stranger Things, I'm finding this series mostly a mixed bag, with ups and downs ever since S1 ended and oddly enough I'm having more issues with the Duffer brothers written-directed episodes and I'm enjoying my time a lot more whenever Shawn Levy (he's seriously one of the directors nowadays that seems he can't miss a hit) or other directors join the season... It turned out true also for S4, so I suppose I might even finish this season (currently at ep.4), but I'm not expecting much.

Agree on all points, though I don't specifically take issue with the Duffer directed episodes (they definitely try too hard at times =). Levy directed ep.4 though, which definitely supports your point.

Honestly it's strange but also satisfying that for the first time in the series the "villain of the season" seems to be an actual character rather than just creatures / mass of fog / rotten meat lol.

Yeah, this was a good change of pace, we'll see if it ultimately pays off (it's definitely going to try). I still get the feeling there's no there there with the Upside Down though other than it's a never end reservoir where the Duffers can draw Stranger Things McGuffins and antagonists from. There's been like zero development of what the big idea is there and supposedly there's only one season left, where they'll presumably get that if not by the end of this one? I do enjoy how at the start of every season they don't see it coming or believe it when the monsters come back, "But that's impossible, we stopped them!? And they've only come back twice since the first time we stopped them!"

Mindhunter. Being able to watch and support quality content like this is one of the reasons I chose to get a Netflix subscription and am happy for it. This seems to me like it has David Fincher written all over it, and the man himself also directed a significant chunck of episodes.
I also hope that S3 will be greenlit soon.

Unfortunately Season 3 looks like a longshot.

Agree on all points, though I don't specifically take issue with the Duffer directed episodes (they definitely try too hard at times =). Levy directed ep.4 though, which definitely supports your point.
I didn't pay it attention during S1-2, during S3 I actually noticed that I was definitely getting that extra appreciation for the non-Duffer episodes... I don't think they're bad, I would say that the way they usually potray and execute some things, from quirky characters, to comedy, to uncomfortable situations, simply rubs me the wrong way to the point of annoyance, sadly. At least, I'm quite satisfied by how they do the tension / mystery / horror stuff, I really can't complain about that. I just suppose it's a preference of mine, and so far my observation about "who writes / direct" each episode turned out corrent for almost two whole seasons in terms of what I anticipate and enjoy the most. Still looking forward to the end of the season, potentially of the series as well, even though I see it's often threading familiar ground. One of the things that bothered me during S2-S3 was that in order to have the plot happen, they had to fabricate situations and reasons in order to have the main characters experiencing things about the Upside Down have not talk to each other (as in, antagonise each other randomly, not having them physically distant and separated from each other like S4), which would have saved tons of time for most storylines. It's becoming one of the things I dislike the most about some stories, as soon as I see that sort of stuff happen, I'm turned off. Luckily S4 is miraculously devoid of this "trope".

Unfortunately Season 3 looks like a longshot.
Luckily, it seems that whenever David Fincher will have enough time, it can go. From what I'm understanding, he's basically the showrunner behind it and he wanted to dedicate to a few different projects before doing S3. He finished shooting his next film a few months ago, so maybe once that's finished, he could do back to develop S3.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Haven’t bothered. I didn’t like anything he’s done since.
giphy.gif

As usual, I'll just skip that one.
giphy.gif

Griffith

As usual, I'll just skip that one. :casca: The absolute hubris of that being their follow-up to the amazing first season is almost -- but not quite -- Twin Peaks Season 2 territory.

Oh man, no way, that was the most brutal. Hell hath no torture like a Lynch scorned! He'll spend three minutes on sweeping when he's not showing contempt for the constraints of the form or the expectations of the audience.

The NEWS part of Season 5 always felt like a Marvel comics-style portrayal of how a scandal could go down. That sticks out because most of the other seasons have subdued, realistic portrayals. But this big showdown is exaggerated

I was reminded of the big education plotline of season 4 and asked my wife and she said it was pretty exaggerated as well. My guess is real cops and drug dealers probably feel the same way, "Ok, it's not usually THAT exciting!" I mean, it's still TV, had plenty of comicbook elements and villains like Brother Mouzone, Marlo and his crew of super bangers, plus Omar was literally jumping off of highrises like Batman by the end.

I didn't pay it attention during S1-2, during S3 I actually noticed that I was definitely getting that extra appreciation for the non-Duffer episodes... I don't think they're bad, I would say that the way they usually potray and execute some things, from quirky characters, to comedy, to uncomfortable situations, simply rubs me the wrong way to the point of annoyance, sadly.

I know what you mean, they can especially be a little too twee and adorable with the nostalgia for their own good sometimes. Something in episode 4 actually made me mad in that regard (and they didn't even direct it, but it was definitely their call). Did you watch it yet?

Luckily, it seems that whenever David Fincher will have enough time, it can go. From what I'm understanding, he's basically the showrunner behind it and he wanted to dedicate to a few different projects before doing S3. He finished shooting his next film a few months ago, so maybe once that's finished, he could do back to develop S3.

I hope you're right, but every indication I've heard is that it's basically a no on both sides. Fincher doesn't want to invest the time and Netflix doesn't want to invest the money, plus I think they'd need to resign everybody because they released them from their contracts.

Nighty, how was We Own This City? Wire-esque but even more realistic because it's biographical? I heard they used a lot of real cops, etc.

@NightCrawler I would actually appreciate a write-up of what I've been missing all these years in the docks of Baltimore.

I know what you mean, they can especially be a little too twee and adorable with the nostalgia for their own good sometimes. Something in episode 4 actually made me mad in that regard (and they didn't even direct it, but it was definitely their call). Did you watch it yet?
I don't think it has to do with nostalgia, at least for me.
Yes, I did watch that episode, I think it's my favourite for the season. Haven't seen ep.5 though, I and will have wait until next week to be able to continue.

I hope you're right, but every indication I've heard is that it's basically a no on both sides. Fincher doesn't want to invest the time and Netflix doesn't want to invest the money, plus I think they'd need to resign everybody because they released them from their contracts.
I see... Such a pity. I hope some sort of miracle can happen at some point.

Griffith

I don't think it has to do with nostalgia, at least for me.

It's not so much the presence of nostalgia as how much they'll... lean into it, almost like leering, zooming in extra on Dustin's dumb face, etc (no offense to him, I think he's basically the "star" of the show at this point; everyone else kinda sucks or is sidelined to some degree).

Yes, I did watch that episode, I think it's my favourite for the season. Haven't seen ep.5 though, I and will have wait until next week to be able to continue.its

It's the best episode, though it had the thing that annoyed me most too, which was the basically taking the prison set and hallway scene directly from Silence of the Lambs for no good reason since we already knew it wasn't even that type of character (I guess the people in-world don't know that, but whatever). Did you recognize who played Victor Creel, though? I didn't until halfway through and got the confirmation in the credits. Now, that's how it's done!

I see... Such a pity. I hope some sort of miracle can happen at some point.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it, especially the first season, so it would have been nice to see them continue building on what they started and the BTK arc.

It's not so much the presence of nostalgia as how much they'll... lean into it, almost like leering, zooming in extra on Dustin's dumb face, etc (no offense to him, I think he's basically the "star" of the show at this point; everyone else kinda sucks or is sidelined to some degree).
My personal favourite is Steve, definitely best boy, he came a long way from when he was a bully back in S1. Love his chemistry with Dustin as well... It's quite a pity that Will is always the "uncomfort" character and didn't get much room to grow, while Eleven... I'm getting more and more annoyed by Millie Bobby Brown, I suppose that the two Godzilla / King Kong movies made her insufferable for me! While for Max, I never really cared about her, but ep.4 did a great job exploring her much more.

It's the best episode, though it had the thing that annoyed me most too, which was the basically taking the prison set and hallway scene directly from Silence of the Lambs for no good reason since we already knew it wasn't even that type of character (I guess the people in-world don't know that, but whatever). Did you recognize who played Victor Creel, though? I didn't until halfway through and got the confirmation in the credits. Now, that's how it's done!
I haven't seen Silence of the Lambs yet! I'll keep it in mind and see if I will recognize the location when I'll eventually watch it.

Griffith

My personal favourite is Steve, definitely best boy, he came a long way from when he was a bully back in S1. Love his chemistry with Dustin as well...

He went from S1 villain to, like, comic relief loser last season! I'm glad he's kind of balanced out this year, no longer in the sailor suit, still the babysitter and got a little romantic potential.

It's quite a pity that Will is always the "uncomfort" character and didn't get much room to grow

Yeah, writing my own head-canon he's clearly supposed to be gay and in love with Mike, but since the show doesn't have anywhere to go with this it just has him looking concerned for everyone, a literal and figurative support character (the closest thing to him being interesting is his potential resentment of Eleven over Mike)! I'm pretty sure gay people were still acting on their feelings in the 80s, even if it wasn't on TV (that's the problem, no 80s movie for the Duffers to rip this plot off from =)! The closest we get is Robin saying she can't act on her feelings, and man was her coming out scene last season cheap, "I was the representation all along! Please don't cancel your Netflix over Dave Chappelle!" :ganishka:

while Eleven... I'm getting more and more annoyed by Millie Bobby Brown, I suppose that the two Godzilla / King Kong movies made her insufferable for me!

Yeah, and without her superpowers it's clear how much she sucks. I forgot how much they still had her act like an unfrozen caveman even though she's been living with normal kids her own age for years now! Dump her now, Mike, before she gets her groove back and angrily rips your dick off with her mind!

BTW, given their heavy makeout sessions last season and the year(s) long absence, I don't care how awkward things got at the skate rink, once Joyce was gone Mike was apologizing, saying I love you 3000 or whatever necessary, and they were doin the stranger thing while Will cried alone in his room. Otherwise, maybe Mike should have been in there with him.

While for Max, I never really cared about her, but ep.4 did a great job exploring her much more.

Yeah, they actually pulled off the bad attitude character because it was justified and they paid it off big time in the end. I do wonder though if that music montage was so effective because that's when the show was better lol

I haven't seen Silence of the Lambs yet! I'll keep it in mind and see if I will recognize the location when I'll eventually watch it.

Oh dude, if you like Mindhunter this is like the movie that basically popularized the genre! It's predecessor is fucking called Manhunter and it's not a coincidence. Watch those ASAP.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've skipped the last 3 seasons of Stranger Things, but reading these comments, I feel like I've absolutely saved hours of my life from the fuckin grinder.

I've skipped the last 3 seasons of Stranger Things, but reading these comments, I feel like I've absolutely saved hours of my life from the fuckin grinder.
Honestly, I've always wondered why they made more seasons after the first one. I watched S1 and enjoyed it and thought it was a satisfying ending with no need for expansion. Then they made season 2, then 3...and so on. The only other recent show I can think of that was milked in a similar way is 13 Reasons Why.

I'm glad I skipped both.

Griffith

Honestly, I've always wondered why they made more seasons after the first one. I watched S1 and enjoyed it and thought it was a satisfying ending with no need for expansion. Then they made season 2, then 3...and so on.

Well, speaking of pastiches, each season is basically scratching a nostalgic pop culture itch for past popcorn entertainment. The first one is specifically ET and generally the Stephens, King and Spielberg, with a coat of John Carpenter aesthetics slapped on, the second season builds on that with Aliens (complete with Paul Reiser!) and Ghostbusters and is now clearly second best via proximity to the first, the third season is more 80s action like Red Dawn and Terminator mixed with Jaws' consumer culture (it's also when the show went completely bonkers and is likely never coming back =), and this season is very smartly leaning into the aging cast with teen slasher horror, specifically, blatantly, A Nightmare on Elm Street (complete with Robert fuckin' Englund!). I'm actually surprised they didn't have Englund reprise the role of Freddy in a humorous dream or something, and I wouldn't be shocked if they do more with him in a twist. I'm surprised it's not more Buffy-like given the similar parameters of the show, but like I said, this show is more of a chameleon. Anyway, in the end it's Whose Line Is It Anyway? to me, "everything's made up and the points don't matter." Just eat your popcorn and enjoy the trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the first 3 seasons somehow but I really can't be bothered with this new one. Just don't have any interest. In fact that reminds me I need to cancel my Netflix subscription again and keep it canceled this time.

I haven't seen many of these 80s films so for me it could be the other way around, with Stranger Things being a gateway in for them. For each season I wasn't really interested from the get go, but curiosity won me over. S2 was kinda painful, but I think I'm not enjoying S3-S4 more. Will see if my interest for the 5th and final season will be there once it will come out.

I watched the first 3 seasons somehow but I really can't be bothered with this new one. Just don't have any interest. In fact that reminds me I need to cancel my Netflix subscription again and keep it canceled this time.
I gave up on Stranger Things after Season 2. No thanks. The try hard nature of that show is a major turn off.
Just had a Love, Death and Robots marathon. Some real gems in that series. Some duds too.
Need to catch up on latest season of Better Call Saul.
I hate watched Obi-Wan. Show was absolute cringe. Star Wars is dead.
If I'm being honest, the news has been more "entertaining" lately...

Griffith

The Last Dance - They did it!! :isidro: Kidding aside, in retrospect I can't believe how crazy it was to intentionally break this team up for a fucking rebuild? It was the team of the decade in basically all of sport and the best dynasty since Russell's Celtics and they just said, "no mas." UNREAL, and they still haven't won since or even gotten close! I feel like this would be 24/7 story today and the shame factor would be relentless. It's also hilarious how callous the team "braintrust" was to these legendary all-time greats that only won for them every year while today's NBA teams will basically bend over backwards to appease any mediocre player for seemingly no benefit to themselves, "You want to leave us high and dry after signing a longterm contract!? Ok, but only if can I let you sleep with my wife too!" :ganishka:

I Think You Should Leave - Almost completely caught up after Netflix screwed me and started with season 2 first (I thought their interface was smarter than that; my bad). Of the second season my favorite bits were probably the husband guilty about making a joke about his wife and the Crashmore episode. A weird pattern I noticed is I tend to like the bits more where Tim Robinson is playing the straight man role, with some exceptions. Anyway, still have the last one to watch.

Stranger Things - So, it turns out the setup was better than the payoff, an underwhelming payoff that was really just an underwhelming setup for season 5. Actually, I didn't like this finale in the moment, but in retrospect kind of think it really sucks for several reasons.

First, they went ALL IN on Vecna as not just the big bad of the season, which was fine, but of basically EVERYTHING! In addition to being Vecna, the undead wizard and Freddy-like villain of this season, he was also the evil kid, he's One from the lab and Eleven's mentor/nemesis, he's been the Mind Flayer the whole time, etc. They clearly wanted a Voldemort type antagonist for Eleven and the gang to take on, except they basically took the opposite approach of not setting him up all this time but retrofitting it for the endgame here. It also has the side effect of making everything seem smaller and completely Eleven-centric if it wasn't enough already. I actually liked the concept better mid-season when "Eleven didn't create the upside-down" and Vecna was just the "five star general" for the forces of the Mind Flayer. I kind of preferred a big scary abstract evil force being out there to some pissy telepath doing all this to... what end? That's the other thing, despite having at least three characters worth of backstory his motives and actions don't make any sense! I mean, WHAT is he DOING!? Is he a God or a guy still living in his parent's attic picking on some teens?

Anyway, that's the biggest problem given the investment this season and now going forward, but everything else was underwhelming and un-definitive by design. The California and Russia plots sucked and were unnecessary, as were Mike and Hopper, who should both be dead because this season was basically proof they're not needed (they didn't even use Hopper's survival as an important moment for Eleven, it's basically a post-script; this is storytelling malpractice!). Also, they just strung these plots along all season and didn't even bother to unite everyone for the final battle, which felt more like a deferment anyway. I wish they'd just treated this season like another self-contained story instead of turning it into a giant, table-setting penultimate episode for the series. Have Hopper escape mid-season, have Eleven and friends get back to Hawkins, beat Vecna/One in a way more involved, climactic battle where you kill him but he basically succeeds in opening the gate for the Mind Flayer. Best of both worlds. Oh yeah, and kill some of the every growing collection of unnecessary legacy characters in the process, not just the one you introduced this season in order to kill, who was actually one of the better one and whose death is pathetically contrived. Rather than sacrificing himself or something meaningful it was more like he died because he was a dumbass.

I can't even properly express in words how unsatisfying a finale this was, only give you an idea. =)

Last edited:
Stranger Things
Wow Griffith you summed up perfectly my thoughts about this stranger things season, well put!. I agree about Vecna just appearing out of nowhere being linked to literally every plot point out there, I think they wanted a villain that was actually a character instead of this evil force, but it definitely ruined the mystery of the show. And yeah I found Vecna comical throughout the entire season, he said he transcended his humanity or whatever and he can create gigantic monolithic creatures in this parallel world but he's just tormenting high schoolers and slowly walking towards them like Halloween, I get what they were going for but it's funny. Odd thing actually about Vecna is that he looks almost exactly like the villain in the 2016 movie The Void I recommend checking it out Griffith, It's pretty bad at first but I liked the ending. And yeah the writer's couldn't commit to killing off one of the main characters, they kept teasing the viewers, but ultimately just put her in a coma, put her in storage for later

Griffith

Wow Griffith you summed up perfectly my thoughts about this stranger things season, well put!. I agree about Vecna just appearing out of nowhere being linked to literally every plot point out there, I think they wanted a villain that was actually a character instead of this evil force, but it definitely ruined the mystery of the show. And yeah I found Vecna comical throughout the entire season, he said he transcended his humanity or whatever and he can create gigantic monolithic creatures in this parallel world but he's just tormenting high schoolers and slowly walking towards them like Halloween, I get what they were going for but it's funny.

Exactly, and Eleven already kicked his ass, twice, and Nancy kicked his ass, Papa had whipped his ass (it's never explained why Henry didn't just kill him and escape immediately), and even fucking what's-her-name (the girl played by Sadie Sink, it genuinely took me writing all this out to remember the character's name is Max), got the best of him in episode 4 (still the best one, followed by 7, and then maybe 1, the rest were bad to meh)! My point is, what's the tension next season? This guy's a fucking loser! He's overmatched. Even after he presumably absorbed a bunch of other powerful beings. It's like in the Star Wars sequels when it's clear nobody is in Rey's class and the villains are basically the underdogs. I also love it when he says, "I've been very busy." You mean, you killed three kids? :ganishka:

And yeah the writer's couldn't commit to killing off one of the main characters, they kept teasing the viewers, but ultimately just put her in a coma, put her in storage for later

That was Nu-Berserk level execution too. What happened exactly? It felt like a few panels were missing and it also should have been a big moment when Eleven basically becomes Jesus Christ (I actually thought she was going to go full Superman and rewind time =) but it's just a big confusing dud and then is made even more vague afterward. Is she alive? Is her soul gone? Is she going to be potentially possessed by Vecna or will she just come back like nothing in season 5, or could they waste a lot of time bringing her back like half the characters this season. I just don't have faith in whatever they're doing here.

Last edited:

Griffith

Better Call Saul - First, I got a major fucking spoiler from a review headline when I was trying to google what time it came on. FUCK. YOU! Anyway...

Poor Lalo, so close, but alas we knew he was doomed. At first I thought Lalo and the writers had lost their mind his plan was seemingly so dumb and unlikely to succeed, but of course it was intended to fail. And at this point Gus was the only character with the stature to kill him, which is of course why they elevated Lalo so much to begin with, to actually be a worthy opponent to the show's original supervillain.

I imagine Kim and Jimmy won't be so comfortable with their Howard slander now that its his eternal reputation either. I don't think Kim will be able to get over this like Jimmy can (she's not la cucaracha =). I think she might crack and sacrifice herself somehow out of guilt. The fact Mike used their own story to literally and figuratively bury Howard... Not great for her, and now she is tasked with keeping it up even though it insults his memory. Shades of Jesse Pinkman even though she's tougher, but also more forthright. I don't know that she'll compromise Saul or any of them really, but she could essentially take the fall for it.

Though I do think some tension with Mike and Gus' interests makes sense too, like say she's trying to clear Howard's name, drawing suspicion to herself, and ultimately an unacceptable amount to the situation Mike has already fixed. It could be as simple as she just refuses to lie about Howard's character as a person any longer. Maybe that's when she needs to take the vacuum repair van out of town.

Anyway, great prestige television, blah blah blah, but who cares? Most importantly: They actually set up/paid off/connected the Lalo, Ignacio line from Breaking Bad! Which I think amounted to, "Did Lalo send you? That wasn't me, it was Ignacio!" Even with Lalo dying it works, because Lalo could have still had men pursuing revenge, and of course Jimmy has already been told before that Lalo isn't coming back so wouldn't be surprised if he did it again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Better Call Saul — Hell of an episode.

Of course, they’ve played their entire hand at this point. The fallout from this seems obvious. It’s over for Jimmy and Kim. And other than that, it’s all been very circular, ending roughly where it began with Lalo entering the picture. And while I can’t say that the Lalo story added too much to the whole mess behind Jimmy, Mike, and Fring, I’ll miss him nonetheless. Smart bad guys? That’s my thing! Felt bad for him throughout this episode. As soon as I saw that busted fan, I knew it was over for him. Poor guy had almost everything perfect.

Top Bottom