Games to look forward to!

Goat

Foolish king
Funny, we were just talking about Nioh. Team Ninja released a gameplay trailer from their new game, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

Ah, looks fun, but I really should know better by now, damn it! Both Niohs were a pain in the ass for me, and Ninja Gaiden before them. No studio can make me lose it and rage quite like Team Ninja :ganishka:
Sekiro meets Nioh. This can be a banger.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah. It also helps that Nioh has probably a better combat system than any From Soft game (what do you think about that by the way?). Team Ninja has always been great at action, and subpar at everything else :ganishka:
You didn't ask me but I disagree. Nioh had some good ideas but its combat got repetitive faster than any From Software game to me.

I think the combat in Nioh feels better, smoother, more fluid and therefore satisfying in the moment, but isn't as weighty, deep or rewarding long-term. Nioh 2 had some interesting additions to the combat to make it more interesting, particularly with the trick weapon scythe, which I used almost exclusively. Though, in the end I probably just spammed heavy attack on most enemies, but you could definitely play around with some interesting builds (most people, myself included, basically don't play Nioh correctly). Let's put it this way, it feels much gamier than Souls, where the clunkiness is a feature, not a bug. As for Suckiro, that's almost a different genre, like some timed tapping and holding rhythm game. :iva:

Anyway, though I agree with Aaz that Elden Ring is the most evolved and the best for the variety Souls can offer, the correct answer is actually... Bloodborne! Always. =)

By the way, here's another AA Souls inspired game, though whether it's Souls-like or Souls-clone I'm not sure yet. Maybe you can tell:

1. Steelrising:

youtube]QOfF0nMIMzI

I'm not as enthusiastic about it as Lies of P, however. Or at all, maybe.

2. We also have Bleak Faith: Forsaken (shit title, I know).
I don't know how I feel about Lies of P. I've been waiting forever for a decent FromSoftware soulslike well-executed clone, but everything I tried (LoTF, The Surge, Mortal Shell) has always had that bootleg feel that always led me to drop the game after some hours.

Yeah, none of them and none of those look particularly good to me, though Bleak Faith (lol) was closer, at least with the sparse grandeur of the environments and enemies. I still haven't gotten anywhere in Lord of the Fallen, The Surges, Code Vein or Mortal Shell. Like you were saying, they all feel like the direct-to-video equivalent of Souls.:shrug:

By the way, another Alien game was announced and I was excited for a second at the possibility of an Isolation sequel...but it turned out to be another isometric game :judo:

Ugh, I guess despite the cult following and the huge brand this game is going to remain an amazing anomalie: a game based on a great film that's not just authentically like being in the movie but actually a worthy sequel. This is a better sequel to Scott's Alien than Aliens, folks! Btw, in addition to that crazy level of detail, art direction and production value, it's also just a standout sneaky, tense horror game that doesn't let you cheat and just inevitably fall back on full combat when you get caught. If you get caught in this game, even if it's just humans or androids, you run and escape or you die. Anyway, probably fine since even a proper sequel wouldn't have likely lived up to it either.

Funny, we were just talking about Nioh. Team Ninja released a gameplay trailer from their new game, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

Ah, looks fun, but I really should know better by now, damn it! Both Niohs were a pain in the ass for me

Well, sounds like you do know better, because this basically does look like a rebranded Nioh sequel or derivative, like I literally used that lightning spell in Nioh 2. So, they're going full From Soft now and just releasing derivative sequels under different names. Given my fondness for the Niohs though I would definitely play this!

I think the combat in Nioh feels better, smoother, more fluid and therefore satisfying in the moment, but isn't as weighty, deep or rewarding long-term. Nioh 2 had some interesting additions to the combat to make it more interesting, particularly with the trick weapon scythe, which I used almost exclusively. Though, in the end I probably just spammed heavy attack on most enemies, but you could definitely play around with some interesting builds (most people, myself included, basically don't play Nioh correctly). Let's put it this way, it feels much gamier than Souls, where the clunkiness is a feature, not a bug.

I initially compared the fact you can change your stances, and each stance having its own techniques, advantages, and disadvantages, and comparing that to From Soft's relatively basic physical combat (at least in Souls, where you do a set number of moves depending on the weapon and that's it). That was a shallow take on my part, I suppose. There's more to From Soft combat for sure, especially if you're not purely physical like I usually am.

As for Suckiro, that's almost a different genre, like some timed tapping and holding rhythm game. :iva:

One day we're gonna have to repair your relationship to Sekiro, G-man! I don't believe you're too far gone!

Anyway, though I agree with Aaz that Elden Ring is the most evolved and the best for the variety Souls can offer, the correct answer is actually... Bloodborne! Always. =)

Now if it can just get that Goddamn 60 fps / 1080p treatment...

Yeah, none of them and none of those look particularly good to me, though Bleak Faith (lol) was closer, at least with the sparse grandeur of the environments and enemies. I still haven't gotten anywhere in Lord of the Fallen, The Surges, Code Vein or Mortal Shell. Like you were saying, they all feel like the direct-to-video equivalent of Souls.:shrug:

Well,

1. Lord of the Fallen is just too damn slow and clunky. It's enough to cure insomnia. Interestingly though, they announced a sequel recently which I have not bothered to link here. This time it's called The Lords of the Fallen...Gee, I wonder how long it took to name the sequel.
2. The Surge games look interesting but I have not had the chance to check them out, partly because I have two friends who played them and have totally opposing reactions: one of praise, the other of hate. Since then they've been like two annoying Pucks on my shoulders, whispering "play it!" and "skip that turd!" respectively. LOL.
3. Code Vein had a great character creation system...and that's it. It's one of the most painfully average games I've ever played. Don't bother with that one.
4. No idea about Mortal Shell, but my two friends mentioned above both called it a turd. Sooo...

Ugh, I guess despite the cult following and the huge brand this game is going to remain an amazing anomalie: a game based on a great film that's not just authentically like being in the movie but actually a worthy sequel. This is a better sequel to Scott's Alien than Aliens, folks! Btw, in addition to that crazy level of detail, art direction and production value, it's also just a standout sneaky, tense horror game that doesn't let you cheat and just inevitably fall back on full combat when you get caught. If you get caught in this game, even if it's just humans or androids, you run and escape or you die. Anyway, probably fine since even a proper sequel wouldn't have likely lived up to it either.

Yeah you're right they're probably not going to live up to it. That game was special and underrated AF. They should release a remaster, for graphics and performance whores such as myself :troll:

Well, sounds like you do know better, because this basically does look like a rebranded Nioh sequel or derivative, like I literally used that lightning spell in Nioh 2. So, they're going full From Soft now and just releasing derivative sequels under different names. Given my fondness for the Niohs though I would definitely play this!

I'll probably be dragged into playing it, the same way with Nioh 2...If it at least doesn't have a boss like Shibata Katsuie, I may not need a therapist then!

By the way, here's even more gameplay of Lies of P:

Tagging @Goat here to see it too. I told Griff before that I wanted Bloodborne to have more Yharnam to explore; more city, streets, districts, and creepy alleys. So I'm liking the urban setting of this game a lot. Also, that customizable arm reminds me of Sekiro's prosthetic, now that I pay attention to it.

Oh yeah, they also announced a new Metroidvania AES, Ghost Song:

Bring that stuff over, now!

Last edited:

Griffith

I initially compared the fact you can change your stances, and each stance having its own techniques, advantages, and disadvantages, and comparing that to From Soft's relatively basic physical combat (at least in Souls, where you do a set number of moves depending on the weapon and that's it). That was a shallow take on my part, I suppose. There's more to From Soft combat for sure, especially if you're not purely physical like I usually am.

Nah, Nioh deserves credit too, there's some crazy builds and playstyles out there most of us don't take advantage of because we just play it like Souls; and while it can be played that way, there's also fundamental differences. Some people play Nioh like it's Sonic the Hedgehog. :ganishka:

One day we're gonna have to repair your relationship to Sekiro, G-man! I don't believe you're too far gone!

Yeah, I'm like some lame, whiny Souls truther over here, "Actually, these games are unfairly difficult, prohibively inaccessible, and are the ones that need to 'git gud'!!"

Now if it can just get that Goddamn 60 fps / 1080p treatment...

Well, there is that big update coming during those Sony announcements...

... that's probably just gonna be to the database or something. I love all the headlines written about the former just to reveal the latter.

1. Lord of the Fallen is just too damn slow and clunky.
2. The Surge games look interesting but I have not had the chance to check them out
3. Code Vein had a great character creation system...and that's it.
4. No idea about Mortal Shell, but my two friends mentioned above both called it a turd. Sooo...

Yeah, that pretty much mirrors my own experiences. I couldn't get get with Lord of the Fallen because it felt too heavy and lethargic, ditto Mortal Shell, The Surge and wasn't good enough to overcome that impression and keep my interest, and the same with Code Vein. It just goes to show it's not about hard for hardness' sake; I don't even particularly like games to be "hard," and I certainly don't want to repeatedly hit my head against a wall to play a crappy game.

Yeah you're right they're probably not going to live up to it. That game was special and underrated AF. They should release a remaster, for graphics and performance whores such as myself :troll:

If you want to take it to another level, try it in VR! :badbone:

By the way, here's even more gameplay of Lies of P:

youtube]v8gE3UbRUnk

youtube]jhQsYonkG8Q

Tagging @Goat here to see it too. I told Griff before that I wanted Bloodborne to have more Yharnam to explore; more city, streets, districts, and creepy alleys. So I'm liking the urban setting of this game a lot. Also, that customizable arm reminds me of Sekiro's prosthetic, now that I pay attention to it.

Holy crap, it really is a Soulsborne clone (sorry Aaz, but it was actually apropos in this case =)! The customizable weapon combinations are promising, but it could also just be a broken mess.:shrug:

Goat

Foolish king
A gigantic leak of GTA VI gameplay and whatnot is happening right now, Rockstar got hacked or something. Not gonna link anything because this sucks for devs.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The first two Suikoden games are getting a remaster and the series spiritual successor Eiyuden Chronicles will be out early next year. This is one of my favorite series of all time so I’m very excited.

A gigantic leak of GTA VI gameplay and whatnot is happening right now, Rockstar got hacked or something. Not gonna link anything because this sucks for devs.

Yeah, it's a shitstorm for Rockstar right now. That hacker said he's willing to "negotiate a deal". The balls on this dude :ganishka:

I'm continuously surprised by how stupid people can be. Have you seen the backlash it's getting? People are saying the game looks really "bad". I mean, no shit. It's pre-alpha footage. Of course it doesn't look pristine. Do folks really not understand how game development works?

Anyway, this sucks for the devs for many reasons, obviously. Hell, it may even affect flexible work from home schedules too. Poor team...

Couldn't give a shit about the guys in suits though.

Last edited:
Yea the hype for GTA VI is just not real for me right now. Nowhere near the V hype for sure. Is the GTA era over?

What really interests me is something I read about a FFIX remake though. Don’t know if it’s old news to be honest or if it’s true, but I definitely fux with it.

GTA 5 created a lot of good memories for me. But not that excited for GTA 6 because I tend to gravitate away from playing many AAA games since they're so long by the end of it it's not even enjoyable and you're just finishing because "oh well I've come THIS far". I still haven't played Elden Ring because of it :sweatdrop:
(I'll get to it...)
Any recommendations for short and sweet games?

What genres are you into and what platform(s) do you play on?
Pretty much can play on all platforms except IOS. And the Ouya. Ever played Oxenfree or similar games? Those kinda small tidbits of a unique story mixed with unusual gameplay mechanics. What Remains of Edith Finch is a good one for example, even though it was a walking simulator for a large part of it, it also had a lot of segments that were unique. Basically anything as long as it has a good story and is outside the fold of what is usual if you can think of any.

Goat

Foolish king
Pretty much can play on all platforms except IOS. And the Ouya. Ever played Oxenfree or similar games? Those kinda small tidbits of a unique story mixed with unusual gameplay mechanics. What Remains of Edith Finch is a good one for example, even though it was a walking simulator for a large part of it, it also had a lot of segments that were unique. Basically anything as long as it has a good story and is outside the fold of what is usual if you can think of any.
Try To The Moon.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BONELAB, the sequel to BONEWORKS, is out tomorrow for Vive and Quest 2:

I'm pretty excited, because I really wanted to get into Boneworks, but I could barely run it on my machine (and it's no slouch!). So the newest game being native to Quest 2 means I can really tear into it. And it sure seems like they're teasing Boneworks in this, so... maybe we'll get that too!

Griffith

BONELAB, the sequel to BONEWORKS, is out tomorrow for Vive and Quest 2:

[MEDIAyoutube]5tTYlFgVee0[/MEDIA]

I'm pretty excited, because I really wanted to get into Boneworks, but I could barely run it on my machine (and it's no slouch!). So the newest game being native to Quest 2 means I can really tear into it. And it sure seems like they're teasing Boneworks in this, so... maybe we'll get that too!

My computer could handle Boneworks but I couldn't. It was just a bit too much interactivity for me. If I wanted to workout on an obstacle course I wouldn't be playing video games. =)

It did give me some real Half-Lifey vibes though, so lots of potential, but I didn't get far enough climbing up the walls to find out.

Griffith

New Resident Evil 4 gameplay:

MEDIA=youtube]9p0YVZy2hXI[/MEDIA

Oh nom nom, I could eat it up. Looking forward to it.

Looks great, but is it only going to be a third of the original game like RE3? RE4 was much bigger too. That said, it would basically have to be considered horrible immediately for me not to play it. =)

Looks great, but is it only going to be a third of the original game like RE3? RE4 was much bigger too. That said, it would basically have to be considered horrible immediately for me not to play it. =)
I think they'll go all out and adapt the entire game, but none of the island segments with the army guys shooting at you are shown in the trailer or the lab area, I think this is were they can take liberties in my opinion it's not my favourite part of the game and it does mess with the tone of the game a bit. So it's possible they will change a lot in that part but they'll definitely keep the lab areas and the regenerators and hopefully Krauser.

I promised to gift it to a friend for his birthday, as it's in the same week as the release date. Thing is, I already gifted this same friend RE3 back in 2020, which turned out to be more of a DLC than an actual game, as you know.

Capcom, don't embarrass me again!

Anyway, for my part, as long as it's in the double digits in hours and as good as the RE2 remake, then I'm on board.

Top Bottom