Recent content by Denial

1. D

Watchmen

What's ironic here (as throughout the rest of the thread, pretty much everything you accuse me of is something you're doing) is you're the one who made the authoritative claim. Saying I think something is ridiculous and bad storytelling (not "writing") is an argument from my perspective of what...
  2. D

Watchmen

You mean it's clear at the end of the day that I said, "I think the squid aspect of the story is crapulence," and you came back with the very convincing "You're stupid and didn't understand the story"? I think it's pretty obvious by this point that if you had an actual argument to make other...
  3. D

Watchmen

Aazealh... You're really disappointing me here. No one in Watchmen demonstrates supernatural-style powers except for Dr. Manhattan. The entire graphic novel up until the last couple of pages pretty much establishes that position. So why would you assume that psychics in Watchmen are anything...
  4. D

Watchmen

I'd be more convinced if you guys weren't just slinging around ad populum / ad verecundiam and ad hominem.
  5. D

Watchmen

Talk about disingenuous. I say it's bad storytelling for the author to do what amounts to a 12:01 Bond villain unmasking himself after having been disguised as M the entire movie, and you tell me that it's perfectly fine since a halloween costume store got robbed at some point in the story...
  6. D

Watchmen

Why would I assume a world-famous psychic had, you know, actual psychic powers? Someone could cut out Sylvia Brown's brain and I wouldn't bat an eye. I am not aware of any evidence where these are actually presented as "Real" in the story, but I could simply not remember. If you can show me...
  7. D

Watchmen

I never said I objected to the squid's existence per se. Genetic manipulation to create a giant squid is entirely plausible. And teleportation is established throughout the story using Dr. Manhattan. Psychic powers aren't indicated as real until after we see the giant plot device used. And even...
  8. D

Watchmen

Aazealh I think you're a bit out of line. The psychic squid is probably about one of the worst plot devices I've ever read/seen in my life. You might as well have Zeus come down from Olympos for all the sense it makes in the Watchmen universe. I don't think objecting to the author breaking the...
  9. D

Watchmen

Agreed. The squid was shoddy storytelling. That's what it really comes down to.
  10. D

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

My general impression is 4th Edition is a much better tabletop wargame. But it also doesn't have as many mechanics that might be used for RP (this can be good or bad depending on your group's gaming style). If your group is inclined to lots of freestyle RP and you feel constrained by 3rd Ed. d20...
  11. D

Left 4 Dead

I think it is amusing to see the rabid Valve fanboys come out to defend this move. "I got way more support than I expected when Valve re-released existing maps in a gamemode that consists of little more than accelerating endless spawns of bad guys." Sorry, I'm not buying it. On a slightly...
  12. D

What are you reading?

Just the other day finished reading Dearly Devoted Dexter, second in the Dexter series. Read the first one awhile back. Actually a little irritated with myself since I ended up reading the third book (Dexter in the Dark) before Dearly Devoted Dexter. Overall, loved the books. Absolutely...
  13. D

Left 4 Dead

Played through Vs. in Death Toll tonight... To be honest, I'm kind of depressed about it. A number of locations that either Survivors or Infected used to be able to get to are now blocked off. On the other hand, there's also a lot of locations that they obviously went overboard on making...
  14. D

Gutts and the Behelit Sword

Re: Guts and the Beherit Sword To break up this cycle ... Did anyone else get the impression that the "Beherit Sword" technique was something that Skull Knight could only do once or twice? Because that was certainly the impression that I got. I am assuming that whatever beherits are used in...
  15. D

Writing Miura

Awesome stuff. Both glad and unhappy that we've got another 10 years to go. But hey, guess that will give me something to come back to in another 9!
Top Bottom