Recent content by sama

1. sama

Can you identify "The Hero's Journey" in Berserk or any other writing tropes? (Kishotenketsu, etc)

Interesting thoughts! In serial narratives in manga the two traditions (Ki-sho-ten-ketsu and Freytag's plot pyramid) can be combined. Like for Dragon ball series this is very visible. It's fun to compare the beginning of a series, episode (the twists) , how the series stretch or end. This is...
  2. sama

What are you reading?

Just finished my first Manga of the year: Black Jack vol. 1! Any fans here? I really love the main character's rough and kind personality and the fact that he never really belongs anywhere, which is kinda pointed to by his nickname "hazama", which includes 間. I also appreciate the short stories...
  3. sama

What are you watching? (television thread)

Ohhh Yes! I see! :ubik: I am currently on episode 73, I had a good laugh in the last episode due to a certain Venezuelan acter/playboy/boxer/social genius!:slan: Unfortunately I have not read the manga (yet) so I don't know exactly how well the pacing matches... I also looove the visuals...
  4. sama

What are you watching? (television thread)

I'm watching Ashita no Joe (anime) and really like it! Has anyone read or seen it? I'm on the final episodes and get alot of gekiga vibes! Also I find the fact that Puck was once drawn as Tange Danpei (I believe while coaching Isidoro?) hilarious! It doesn't matter how serious the show gets...
  5. sama

Things That Make You Happy

I recently attended a course in Manga studies (7.5 ECTS) at Stockholm university and it was the most fun I've had in an academic/school setting. We looked at manga as medium, its media-specifity, its origins, branches (cross-pollination and hybridization such as Doujinshi and fanfic) and history...
  6. sama

Movies you've recently watched

Finished all of the Zatoichi movies there are and I got my hands on some of the episodes from the TV series. This experience was very intresting and fun and emotional too. The protagonist in these stories are such a humble and kindhearted yet strong person who also has very bad self esteem kind...
  7. sama

What are you reading?

I started reading "Dodoro" , which according to Puella's translation of Miura's comments following the sixth edition of the Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize, was Miura's favorite Tezuka work. I really enjoyed it and can see how it gave inspiration to Berserk's dark "murky" fantasy. I particularly...
  8. sama

Oh no! Do you have a library nearby? I think you can get your hands on it through interlibrary loans. Also all the movies were available on internet archive (archive.org)...
  9. sama

Finished all the six Lone wolf and Cub movies and enjoyed them so much! I started reading about the trope it produced in other stories and had so many realizations. Would you agree that Miura used that trope as well? It's so intresting. I am currently watching the Zatoichi movies. Since I don't...
  10. sama

SkullKast 140: Duel (Vol 29-3 + Vol 30-1)

Thank you very much for a wise desicion related to the continuation! You guys are the best! Also Loooved gob's "Du du du duuuuuel!" introduction
  11. sama

Grail makes me doodle?!

Finally done with the cave scene. I couldn't get guts' expression right but I'm accepting it now haha (he has silat eyes...) I couldn't understand how detailed the surrounding was until I started drawing all the roots. Drawing copies of Miura's artwork awakens a new sense of awe...
  12. sama

What are you reading?

This was such an unusual reading experience. The episodic format and the main theme of the story (execution) go so well hand in hand. There are alot of intresting side characters and alot of violence and with the comfort (?) of things ending in the same way. Overall it felt like a stationary...
  13. sama

What are you reading?

Just finished reading Lone Wolf and Cub. I'm so happy that I read on Patreon that it was one of Miura's favoutire stories to re-watch, thanks to Puella's translation of the big interview. The story was so unique, it evoked so many different feelings I didn't think I had before!? Similar to a...
  14. sama

What is your favourite manga? (besides the obvious one)

Has anybody read Guin Saga? I got my hands on the first volume of the manga but couldn't find anything else until I found this YouTube chanal where a lady reads the English translation of the books. Really interesting! Since Miura liked the books, it's fun to think about that while listening to...
  15. sama

What is your favourite manga? (besides the obvious one)

For the Fist of the north star fans: NHK released this documentary about FotNS and how it was created. This was extremely interesting to me to see the creators and their interactions, visions and their own reflections taking form in an interview setting. It also evoked nostalgic feelings...
Top Bottom