Episode 369

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well I feel like miura was setting her up to be very important
As the sovereign of the elves, she was already important, and she helped Casca's mind to be restored. Would she have had another role to play? I tend to think so, but I also think the disappearance of the elves was in the cards, too. So when would it have happened? Maybe it is still to come...

skullknights old love (sorry cant remember her name)
No name, but a title: Lady Medium of Cherry Blossoms.

The way things are presented makes it seem like everything happened so fast that nobody had any time to react, thus no grand battle with Griffith.

Granted, there are several logical pitfalls with that, such as every magical creature but Danan noticing Griffith's arrival, as well as Roderick somehow prepping his ship to go on like three minutes. I also noticed the whole event starts in what we can assume was the early evening, only for it to be sunrise a few minutes later. I suppose the island's time properties fading out as it is destroyed could account for the shift in time of day though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I also noticed the whole event starts in what we can assume was the early evening, only for it to be sunrise a few minutes later.
No, it started late at night, close to dawn. Casca was asleep with the boy, then the boy woke up to leave. Enter Griffith and the sequence since the continuation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The way things are presented makes it seem like everything happened so fast that nobody had any time to react, thus no grand battle with Griffith.

I don't think there would have been a grand battle against Griffith either way. However it's pretty obvious that both Danan and the Great Gurus would have done something, anything really, not to mention the Skull Knight. With that in mind, I think there's no real doubt that the island's destruction would have happened very differently. It would have likely been more dramatic, and resulted in more heroic acts as a consequence.

I also noticed the whole event starts in what we can assume was the early evening, only for it to be sunrise a few minutes later. I suppose the island's time properties fading out as it is destroyed could account for the shift in time of day though.

The island had a normal night and day cycle, it's just that it differed from that of the outside world. I think it's just unrelated here, they simply skipped ahead to the morning but didn't bother indicating it.

No, it started late at night, close to dawn. Casca was asleep with the boy, then the boy woke up to leave. Enter Griffith and the sequence since the continuation.
Reason I assumed is because Schierke is cleaning up dishes (after a meal I assume) and Isidro, Isma, and Scerpico are just getting back from doing chores around the village. Seems like a 10PM to Midnight sort of time frame.

However it's pretty obvious that both Danan and the Great Gurus would have done something, anything really, not to mention the Skull Knight. With that in mind, I think there's no real doubt that the island's destruction would have happened very differently. It would have likely been more dramatic, and resulted in more heroic acts as a consequence.
No arguments there. Even if Griffith got away without confrontation from any of them, I feel like we still would've seen everyone do more to save people from the island's collapse, among other things.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
No arguments there. Even if Griffith got away without confrontation from any of them, I feel like we still would've seen everyone do more to save people from the island's collapse, among other things.

And handled the "gnawers", giving more them more importance and shedding light on what they are.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I’m assuming we’ll get an info dump in the next episode from Skull Knight, but with this project you never know. :shrug:

Even if we do, I expect to be left unsatisfied.

Broad-strokes-wise, I did NOT see the disappearance of the ethereal creatures happening. The felt like the most genuine Miura moment of the whole episode to me.

However it's pretty obvious that both Danan and the Great Gurus would have done something, anything really, not to mention the Skull Knight.

Hey man, Skull Knight sliced the hell out of those gnawers like a pro. In over 40 volumes, I've never seen such an incredible display of skill and power. I've got like 5 different reaction shots telling me so :schnoz:

And we got to hear Danan's favorite lyric from Bohemian Rhapsody ("goodbye, everybody. I've goooooot to gooo"), which I think we can all agree is  exactly all that Miura had left for her.

Joke's aside, I just wanted to throw my depressed hat into the pile with this continuation. It's sad to see one of the grandest lights in the Bonfire of Dreams go out, only for a rubbish heap to be set ablaze in it's stead. What an incredible smell Studio Gaga has discovered.

Like most have already pointed out, this continuation really should have leaned farther one way or the other. It's too little to be a full-on continuation, too much to be insert shots in a more fleshed-out light novel format.

I think it'd be nice for the volume releases to include exactly what notes Mori had from his talks with Miura that they extrapolated from. It could serve as a kind of memoir, highlighting what their talks were like and getting a little slice of life. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Are we on to the next arc now, or is there one more episode to "tie this all together"?

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
The destruction of Albion was so incredible to witness. You see the stakes get steadily higher over multiple episodes. Individual characters getting their own moments in the chaos and you hope that they make it out alive (lots of close calls).. Elfhelm was underwater before i could even gasp.

Frogacuda

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
We'd all be better off if it was just presented that way. Instead, we're inherently being implored to read this like it's a true, full continuation of Berserk, and therefore scrutinize and digest it that way, when it's actually a Cliff's Notes summary based on what Mori remembers Miura telling him about Berserk (does that sound like a strong foundation for a narrative with as much depth and detail as Berserk?).
I think this is correct, this is a very stripped down version of the story, but presented in the format of the real thing, and those two things are at odds.

I was a big defender of doing the continuation as a manga, but their unwillingness to stray from or expand on what Miura laid out makes it impossible for that to really work well. We all want to be respectful to Miura's vision, but in being this precious about it, they're landing on something further away from the Berserk we've come to know. I'd much rather Mori take the reigns as a writer and just do his best job to tell this story and flesh it out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
We all want to be respectful to Miura's vision, but in being this precious about it, they're landing on something further away from the Berserk we've come to know. I'd much rather Mori take the reigns as a writer and just do his best job to tell this story and flesh it out.

Personally, I think the sentiment that Mori could improve things if only he made more shit up is grievously mistaken. It's the kind of thing where if it happened, former proponents would end up on their knees saying "dear lord, what have we done". I've got nothing against him, but I'm only in this for Miura's ideas. If I wanted to see another author's take, I'd go read their own stories. So if anything, I wish they'd do less and focus on making that smaller amount as good as they can.

puella

Berserk forever
Since the continuation started, I've come to expect frustration with each release, and now I've even gotten used to it. :judo:

It almost feels like a tragicomedy, of which one of those ancient God Hand members reminds me. You know the one. Sometimes I think of it like a beautiful garden that had been well taken care of, and that is now messed up by squatters.

However, I'd like to share a different outlook for it.

From the beginning, I thought an illustrated book with Miura's storyline would be ideal, like many people here. But they insisted on doing a "manga", which is too much for them. In spite of that, I've come to see the continuation as little more than illustrations for Mori's summary of what he heard from Miura. What a discovery!

We've been unsatisfied with many of the details, but I don't think it's wise to demand more focus on those. Details are not a minor thing, it's what only Miura could provide. The nature of the continuation is to convey the parts of the story Mori heard from Miura. Nothing more.

I think it should stay simple and even laconic. If anything I'm rather afraid that Mori might decide to flesh things out with his own ideas if the readers keep complaining about the work. And I do hope they're not planning to keep going for a long time. The shorter, the better!

As for me, instead of only hanging on to the serialization, I've found solace in looking into how Miura lived, thought and created. I recommend it.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
I am surprised to see people's reaction to this new episode. I agreed with people's sentiment on the other continuation episodes but I actually found 369 to have better paneling, pacing and art than what we got so far. Same for the reaction shots. Maybe I'm so amazed by the turn of events that it makes me blind or something. Been following Berserk almost 15 years, listened to every single podcast at least twice, and here I thought you guys would be happy to see this episode. I must be stupid or too casual or something:shrug:

This paragraph is somewhat incoherent and shows some confusion. In short, like Walter told you on the previous page, the reason for why the elves all disappeared wasn't pre-established in the story. What the Great Gurus mention about the World Tree and forests of spirit trees doesn't explain it. One would indeed expect that an explanation will be given in the next episode, but at this point we can't be too sure. We will see.
i know is a bit incoherent, i was in a hurry when i typed this, so now that i have more free time i'm going to elaborate a bt more:

i have always seen the world of Berserk in layers. the superficial layer would be the corporeal world and as we go into deeper layers we move to the astral world and at the bottom would be the abyss the world of ideas where the idea of evil exist, now we have places like the interstice that are like the shore on a beach, a places that is between the corporeal and the astral world, now the Great Gurus said that spirit woods where the spirit trees reside are places in the interstice meaning that they reside on the border between the corporeal and astral layers, and that their purpose was to maintain the equilibrium betwen the astral an corporeal world.
Now what is the world tree that Grifftith created when he slay Ganishka, well, the Great Gurus said that is like a borehole a fissure between the astral and corporeal realms, now i believe that is from this fisure that the astral beings are being poured into the corporeal realm, and the reason why Griffith destroyed the majority of the spirit woods is in order to make this fissure even greater so that it could reach the deepest layer of the astral world, were the idea of evil reside, now if we follow this idea that would mean that the 2 realms the corporeal and astral realm are not actually merged but instead we could say that they overlap one another allowing people to interact with the beings that they previously could not, you could see it as if now everyone had the brand of sacrifice, they still exist on the corporeal realm and now are able to interact with astral creatures that reside border of the astral world but they are unable to move into deeper layers of the astral world by themselves.
Now astral beings are not inhabitants of the corporeal world as they reside in the astral realm, but with the fissure now existing they can now manifest themselves into the corporeal world, now what i think it happen on the island is that the inhabitants of this island were able to exist there because the spirit tree worked as a link between the corporeal world the astral realm, now with the destruction of the tree that link between those layers got cut and the astral creatures on the island were banished back into the astral realm, that does not mean that they died it just mean that they now need to move back from the astral realm into the corporeal world

Now i do see some holes on the theory but we most likely are goin to receive some answers on the next chapter.

As for me, instead of only hanging on to the serialization, I've found solace in looking into how Miura lived, thought and created. I recommend it.
Where can I find such information, Puella?

I am surprised to see people's reaction to this new episode. I agreed with people's sentiment on the other continuation episodes but I actually found 369 to have better paneling, pacing and art than what we got so far. Same for the reaction shots. Maybe I'm so amazed by the turn of events that it makes me blind or something. Been following Berserk almost 15 years, listened to every single podcast at least twice, and here I thought you guys would be happy to see this episode. I must be stupid or too casual or something:shrug:

Not precisely, each person's reaction is different, and that is perfectly normal :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
listened to every single podcast at least twice, and here I thought you guys would be happy to see this episode
I don't know why you would be surprised if you've heard us on the last few podcasts. Nothing magical changed with 369. Just more perfunctory depictions of what should feel like big events.

i have always seen the world of Berserk in layers.
Not coincidentally, that's also how Flora describes it in Vol 24.

their purpose was to maintain the equilibrium betwen the astral an corporeal world.
No, that was the magic users' job. The purpose of the trees was to ensure the two worlds remained separate. From Puella's translation of Ged from 345: "They play the role of preventing the branches from extending into "this world" by absorbing the power from the "World Tree".

Now what is the world tree that Grifftith created when he slay Ganishka
Griffith didn't create the world spiral tree. It's always been there, probably since creation. Ganishka's explosion was the culminating event after Griffith and the apostles had weakened the spirit trees' power to prevent the world tree from manifesting.

now i believe that is from this fisure that the astral beings are being poured into the corporeal realm
Not literally, because the creatures stayed where they were. They popped into human awareness. They can be perceived by all humans due to the world spiral tree's existence. As you said, it's as if the interstice was made a global phenomenon.

now if we follow this idea that would mean that the 2 realms the corporeal and astral realm are not actually merged but instead we could say that they overlap one another allowing people to interact with the beings that they previously could not
Well, here's Ged's explanation: "We're going back to the Chaos of the ancient times where this world was mixed with the ethereal world..." (btw, astral was discovered to be a misnomer recently, and the correct term is ethereal. I'm having a hard time breaking the habit).

The worlds were mixed together, and Fantasia is the result. It's possible that Fantasia is the fusion of the corporeal world with only the interstice portion of the ethereal world—its shallowest region. That would leave the remainder of the regions and denizens of the ethereal world beyond the reach of humans. Of course, that also includes Berserk's version of the afterlife. So that's not exactly comforting for the fate of Danan and the elves.

the reason why Griffith destroyed the majority of the spirit woods is in order to make this fissure even greater so that it could reach the deepest layer of the astral world, were the idea of evil reside
Griffith's reasons for doing that were explained in Ep 345:

"Now almost all of the "Forest of Spiritual Trees" around the world have been burned into ashes."
"So the World Tree has become more powerful."

the inhabitants of this island were able to exist there because the spirit tree worked as a link between the corporeal world the astral realm
How is that not in opposition to what we already know—that the world spiral tree holds things together?

now with the destruction of the tree that link between those layers got cut and the astral creatures on the island were banished back into the astral realm
Wouldn't the link between the layers still be upheld by the world spiral tree's existence?

that does not mean that they died it just mean that they now need to move back from the astral realm into the corporeal world
I don't think anyone should be under the impression that those who disappeared are dead. They went elsewhere. Presumably deep enough in the ethereal world that it's not perceivable by humans.

One take I've seen on it is that, somehow, removing the cherry blossom tree on Skellig has banished the "good" ethereal beings to a deeper layer where they cannot interfere, leaving only the "bad" ones... for some reason. Meaning stuff like elves are gone now, even off the island. Griffith would want this because they may pose a threat to his order, and leaving only monsters in the world ensures he's only ever seen as a savior of humanity.

Dunno how strong the logic is there, and I have no idea why destroying the tree would do that (though it seemingly has?), but it's the most plausible take I've personally seen.

The prospect gives me chills. Like, be careful what you wish for. What are they going to do? Make up more details? Punch it up? No thank you. Do it as faithfully and quickly as possible before Mori starts "remembering" additional stuff.
Eh...I expect nothing.
But perhaps some solid criticism could at least make them give a little more attention to the storyboards ; making the story easier to read is enough for me.

No, that was the magic users' job. The purpose of the trees was to ensure the two worlds remained separate. From Puella's translation of Ged from 345: "They play the role of preventing the branches from extending into "this world" by absorbing the power from the "World Tree".
So it would be correct to consider that the spirit trees absorbe the energy of the World tree preventing it from spreading to far into the world?
Griffith didn't create the world spiral tree. It's always been there, probably since creation. Ganishka's explosion was the culminating event after Griffith and the apostles had weakened the spirit trees' power to prevent the world tree from manifesting
Thats correct i simplify the the whole thing a bit to much, also i would like to add that we could say that it was Skull Knight sword (cant remember the name) that open the rift that allowed the World Tree to fully manifest into the world.
Well, here's Ged's explanation: "We're going back to the Chaos of the ancient times where this world was mixed with the ethereal world..." (btw, astral was discovered to be a misnomer recently, and the correct term is ethereal. I'm having a hard time breaking the habit).

The worlds were mixed together, and Fantasia is the result. It's possible that Fantasia is the fusion of the corporeal world with only the interstice portion of the ethereal world—its shallowest region. That would leave the remainder of the regions and denizens of the ethereal world beyond the reach of humans. Of course, that also includes Berserk's version of the afterlife. So that's not exactly comforting for the fate of Danan and the elves.
So it wold be ok to believe that the wolrd was completely mixed into "lets call it Primordial chaos" in the past and as time passed the different layers (the ethereal world and corporeal world) got separated, and now that the World Tree branches are spreading that separation is being undone but is not yet complete as the deepest layers of the ethereal world are still not being able to be reached, (btw since the return of the world tree we havent seen other members of the godhand right? i remember that there were some pages were they appeared, but were those avatars of the godhand? like the one slan use in the troll cave right? that could be seen as evidence that the deeper layers of the ethereal world haven been able to reach the corporeal world)
Griffith's reasons for doing that were explained in Ep 345:

"Now almost all of the "Forest of Spiritual Trees" around the world have been burned into ashes."
"So the World Tree has become more powerful."
i'm gonna have to point the "almost" in there maybe Griffith has not destroy all of them yet or was the spiritual tree on elfhelm the last one remaining, if thats the case this could mean the complete merging of the layers and a big turning point on the history as the deeper residents of the ethereal realm would now be able to manifest on the corporeal world (aka the rest of the god hand)
Wouldn't the link between the layers still be upheld by the world spiral tree's existence?
i believe that the spiritual trees create something like a separate layer of reality since they are absorb energy from the world tree so my idea was that perhaps those layers remain separeted from the world tree, this is the part were i admit that there are holes in the theory but i'm hoping that in the next episode the Great Gurus address this to see if my theory holds or not i just wanted to put that idea in the air and see what other thinks of it
I don't think anyone should be under the impression that those who disappeared are dead. They went elsewhere. Presumably deep enough in the ethereal world that it's not perceivable by humans.
Agree they probably were sent to a deeper layer of the ethereal realm, one that is not able to be accessed at this point.

On other note i have to thank Aazealh for telling me to start talking about the episode i'm finding being able to post theories and have them review by others more fun than just read comments.

Am I crazy or maybe it's just hard to understand what's happening exactly, but is that the 4 elemental kings present in that panel alongside the strange beam of light ?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
But perhaps some solid criticism could at least make them give a little more attention to the storyboards ; making the story easier to read is enough for me.

It's not like they're sleeping on the job as it is. I'm sure they're already doing their best. It's just that their best isn't enough. It's not an indictment, but we knew from the beginning that no one was going to be able to continue Berserk like Miura did.

Am I crazy or maybe it's just hard to understand what's happening exactly, but is that the 4 elemental kings present in that panel alongside the strange beam of light ?

You're not crazy, someone did cast the formation of the four cardinal points. I'm working on a somewhat comprehensive review and I'll go over the events depicted to help clarify things.

So it would be correct to consider that the spirit trees absorbe the energy of the World tree preventing it from spreading to far into the world?

The giant trees within forests of spirit trees acted as parasites that sapped the energy of the World Tree and thus prevented it from extending into the corporeal world. These were almost all destroyed before volume 34. Then Ganishka was backed into a corner and out of desperation, he went deep into the ethereal world and absorbed as much power as he could so that he could measure up to Griffith. That gigantic power, when pierced by the Skull Knight's beherit sword technique, unleashed a "tsunami" into the world, with which the upper layers of the ethereal world manifested once more into the world inhabited by humans. It also brought back the World Tree in the process.

So it wold be ok to believe that the wolrd was completely mixed into "lets call it Primordial chaos" in the past and as time passed the different layers (the ethereal world and corporeal world) got separated, and now that the World Tree branches are spreading that separation is being undone but is not yet complete as the deepest layers of the ethereal world are still not being able to be reached

You should really just carefully re-read the episodes Walter mentioned. It's all in there.

As for the fusion of the worlds not being complete... I don't think so. It's been a non-issue in the story. Fantasia happened and now Griffith is establishing an empire for himself. He's been eradicating the very creatures he brought into the world under the guise of securing a place for humans to live. Whatever forests of spirit trees may remain, they don't seem to have been a focus.

Putting that aside, if you look at what Flora explains in volume 24, the deeper layers of the ethereal world (where astral beings exist) are very different from the physical world humans exist in. They don't necessarily have proper shapes or anything, so it's hard to imagine how these could possibly be fused.

(btw since the return of the world tree we havent seen other members of the godhand right? i remember that there were some pages were they appeared, but were those avatars of the godhand? like the one slan use in the troll cave right? that could be seen as evidence that the deeper layers of the ethereal world haven been able to reach the corporeal world)

It's hinted that they came along with the rest. We weren't shown avatars, it was more like their "domains". Lechery for Slan, pestilence for Conrad, madness for Ubik... Obviously, because they're such massive ethereal beings, it's unlikely they'll ever be able to manifest themselves physically like a random creature does. You should think of them more like the spirits Schierke summons. In short, Fantasia definitely reinforced their grasp and their reach on the world, but we don't know how yet.

i believe that the spiritual trees create something like a separate layer of reality since they are absorb energy from the world tree so my idea was that perhaps those layers remain separeted from the world tree

No, nothing like that has been mentioned in the story. Not sure how you came up with it, but I don't think it's correct.

On other note i have to thank Aazealh for telling me to start talking about the episode i'm finding being able to post theories and have them review by others more fun than just read comments.

You're welcome, but please try to work on your posts some more before publishing them. There's no hurry, and it's important to put forth your best thoughts and not just whatever comes to mind.

The last episode was so disappointing that I couldn't even muster the energy to comment on it. And that continues to be the case for this one, where I have to force myself to talk about it. The way this manga is unfolding just...hurts. It's bad, just bad all around. The rules that were explicitly spelled out for us even very recently are getting broken left and right, events that should be weighty are brushed aside with little fanfare, and characters just seem to blink in and out of existence. Schierke and Farnese's scene at the beginning was almost laughable with how they're begging Guts to tell them where he is when I was wondering where the hell they've been for the past couple of episodes. Maybe there's an explanation for things like the Elves' sudden disappearance from the corporeal world, but I'm not holding my breath. Not only has the dialogue been minimal from the start, but I really don't see Miura pausing his conversations with Mori to give him a class on the rules of magic and existence in his manga.

Even if I try to look at the story from the macro level, it's still not doing it for me. What happens on the macro level here? Casca gets captured, the island is destroyed, and the Elves vanish. That...doesn't feel like good storytelling to me. It just makes the whole journey to Elfhelm that started allllllll the way back in Volume 22 feel completely pointless to me and that it accomplished absolutely nothing. I always regarded that journey as important for two reasons. One, that it would cure Casca and make her lucid again and two, that it would facilitate a steady growth in the protagonists' "power," so to speak. By which I mean they would gain access to things that would give them a better fighting chance against the God Hand. And we got a lot of that over the course of this journey: more companions for Guts, knowledge about the astral world, magical artifacts, a witch with a whole arsenal of abilities to add to the team, alliances with various people like Roderick and his crew, the Merrow, and everyone on Skellig, and even the characters' own growing maturity. And while Guts was doing his thing, Rickert was unknowingly adding his own contributions to the cause with the development of powerful new weapons and the formation of his alliance with Daiba and the Bakiraka. Griffith may have expanded his sphere of influence rapidly without any resistance, but the heroes were banding together right under his nose, which gave a sense that they were building themselves up so they could eventually bring the fight to him and the rest of the God Hand.

But just like that, it's all been rendered moot. Griffith destroyed the island without any effort, kicked the Elves out of this plane of existence (somehow), and took off with Casca. It feels like the last 20 volumes of the manga were a complete waste of time and that there's absolutely nothing the protagonists can do to stop him. All the knowledge, experience, and magic of the most powerful beings and users in the world wasn't enough to fend him off; if anything, they might as well have been the goddamn refugees at Albion with how ineffectual they all were! Casca is gone once again. And the boy...he contributed jack-squat to this, which doesn't make him feel like he'll ever be a problem for Griffith. Sure, the story is probably intended to end on a victorious, if bittersweet note, but if that's the case, it's honestly looking like one of those cases where the antagonists just pull win after win after win out of their asses until the very end where they suddenly lose. It's just an incredibly lazy and unsatisfying way to tell a story.

It goes to show just how important execution is. If Miura was at the helm, maybe the macro events of the plot would still be in effect, but I wouldn't feel so empty seeing them. Maybe we would see actual scenes of heroic derring-do from the Elves, witches, and Gurus to show that they are capable even in the face of this crushing defeat. Maybe we would have gotten a hint that the boy is still somehow acting out within Griffith, showing he is indeed not completely invulnerable despite Guts' inability to graze him. Maybe Guts, his companions, and Skull Knight would look more competent as they each dealt with the crisis in their own ways, to show that maybe they could have won in more ideal circumstances. But, well, we won't ever get that.

I'm wishing that Mori and Studio Gaga weren't so ambitious with this project. I wish maybe they instead opted to treat this less like a manga and more like an illustrated novel like what Puella suggested, with the story largely carried out by prose narrating the events in the manner of a storyteller reciting the tale of Berserk to us. Kind of like how The Hobbit graphic novel sometimes dispensed with depicting the onscreen action and just inserted Tolkien's writing to get the point across. While I personally found that lazy and it's not the way I like my comics or manga to be read, it would nevertheless have been a far more honest depiction of Miura's vision because that's effectively what Mori is going on: the story as it was told to him by the master himself. It would certainly be better than this attempt at making a full manga out of what was at best a summary of the plot.

it feels super rushed, like that last season of game of thrones

And like Game of Thrones, I'm really fearing the effect this is going to have on the manga's legacy. Game of Thrones was popular and beloved up until the very end which ruined the entire show in everyone's eyes and tainted the franchise. I really don't want the same fate to befall Berserk, where a shadow will be cast over the 41 volumes Miura created just because Mori stumbled at the finish line. I don't want the story as a whole to be regarded as a failure instead of an unfinished masterpiece. :sad:

Last edited:

Frogacuda

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
From the beginning, I thought an illustrated book with Miura's storyline would be ideal, like many people here. But they insisted on doing a "manga", which is too much for them. In spite of that, I've come to see the continuation as little more than illustrations for Mori's summary of what he heard from Miura. What a discovery!
It isn't the manga format that they're struggling with here, it's the concept of storytelling. Stories are not just a series of plot beats, they're in the telling. Any effort in which they are afraid to put words in character's mouths or fill in details, or consider pacing and tension is destined to fail regardless of the format.

I know they want to stick to "just what they know" but I don't think that's possible whilst also telling the story in a way that is satisfying and impactful. You HAVE to write the stuff Miura didn't get the chance to. And they don't want to do that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't the manga format that they're struggling with here, it's the concept of storytelling.

That's essentially the same thing in this case. They're not able to do it properly, period. That's why sticking to illustrated bulletpoints would have been best, if that's the limit of what they can do.

Any effort in which they are afraid to put words in character's mouths or fill in details, or consider pacing and tension is destined to fail regardless of the format.

You keep putting forth the idea that if only this team dared to be creative they could ace it, but that's a misconception. They're not doing it because they can't. Like I said above, if you actually got what you're clamoring for, you'd immediately come to regret it. I can guarantee that. I mean, unless you thought the Grunbeld light novel was quality storytelling.

Top Bottom