2016 Berserk TV series: Episode 7

What did you think of the seventh episode of the 2016 TV series?

• It was great.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Some problems, but enjoyable.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • It was bad, but had some redeeming features.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TripleJMaster3 said:
P.S.

Found the reference in the Manga, but honestly the version I read I could see how it might have gone unnoticed. Puck says "ahhh so Ishidori!?" "A Robber... Who Throws...Stones?" Still not sure where the meaning comes from so if someone knows more about it I would love to know. Couldn't find much in my search through the archives although I will admit searching by name and meaning brings up extensive unrelated results so forgive me if it's already been discussed in another thread.

Ishi -> Stone
Dorobo -> Thief

Combine both and you get Isidro.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
TripleJMaster3 said:
P.S.

Found the reference in the Manga, but honestly the version I read I could see how it might have gone unnoticed. Puck says "ahhh so Ishidori!?" "A Robber... Who Throws...Stones?" Still not sure where the meaning comes from so if someone knows more about it I would love to know. Couldn't find much in my search through the archives although I will admit searching by name and meaning brings up extensive unrelated results so forgive me if it's already been discussed in another thread.

It's just the Japanese. "Ishi" (石) means rock and "dorobo" (泥棒) means thief. Drop the "bo" and you have Isidro (spelled out in katakana: イシドロ), which is the Japanese version (not sure if there's a better way to say this) of Isidro's name. From what I understand, it's common in Japanese to make puns out of words/phrases that have multiple meaning or uses. In this case Isidro is both his name, and a description of what he is.

Edit: Of course I somehow missed the much more concise response by Earthlingzing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I watched this episode yesterday and I found it to be of the same utterly mediocre caliber the rest of the "decent" episodes have been. Not outright gross, but never good either.
Also I hope you guys enjoyed those CLANGs.

jackson_hurley said:
Except when he's walking while searching for Casca, it looks weird.

Yeah they messed up the walking animation pretty bad. I can see what they were going for (a reproduction of his posture in the manga), but it's a failure.

Gamehowitzer said:
:isidro: name is actually introduced here, i thought it was said earlier in the manga, though i may just be remembering wrong.

It's introduced earlier in the manga (when he first appears, in episode 133), and it was introduced earlier in this adaptation as well.

DirectDK said:
Glad to see they showed Puck's healing capabilities in this ep too. Bout damn time.

Indeed. But still too rushed for newcomers to the series.

Hanma_Baki said:
I always imagined the outbursts of the goat was really horrific and frightening, not to mention, y'know, kinda goat-ish? VERY underwhelming, just a detail but annoyed me nontheless.

Agreed.

TripleJMaster3 said:
The one part that confused me was when Puck says that Isidro means rock throwing thief. [...] Found the reference in the Manga, but honestly the version I read I could see how it might have gone unnoticed. Puck says "ahhh so Ishidori!?" "A Robber... Who Throws...Stones?" Still not sure where the meaning comes from so if someone knows more about it I would love to know.

It's a simple pun because the pronunciation of his name in Japanese sounds similar to the combination of two kanji, as was stated above. Berserk often features puns like that.

Delta Phi said:
It's just the Japanese. "Ishi" (石) means rock and "dorobo" (泥棒) means thief. Drop the "bo" and you have Isidro (spelled out in katakana: イシドロ), which is the Japanese version (not sure if there's a better way to say this) of Isidro's name. From what I understand, it's common in Japanese to make puns out of words/phrases that have multiple meaning or uses. In this case Isidro is both his name, and a description of what he is.

Your explanation is incorrect, or at least confusing. This is merely a joke made by Puck in passing, it's not meant to be an actual description of what Isidro is. It is not a "Japanese version" of Isidro's name, just a pun on it, and there's no deeper meaning to it beyond the pun.

P.S. General reminder that Luka's name is spelled with a K.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Aazealh said:
Your explanation is incorrect, or at least confusing. This is merely a joke made by Puck in passing, it's not meant to be an actual description of what Isidro is. It is not a "Japanese version" of Isidro's name, just a pun on it, and there's no deeper meaning to it beyond the pun.

Apologies. That's what I was trying to get at, but I didn't articulate it well.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Wellp this is the first episode where I didn't feel like there were a bunch of scenes that I'd like to try replacing with my own attempt at the animation. A lot of properly drawn acting closeups where I was glad they decided not to just try to use their puppets. PAINTED CORPSES instead of video game ones. Vast improvement.

Top Bottom