Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Salem said:
Teaser

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ImzOBnMhUho&feature=youtu.be

berserk-s2.jpg

gutsbarf.gif

Yup. I'm hesitant, but that Guts looks worse in my opinion. Is that his arm or leg? That straight line down the middle quite honestly makes me think my lack of artistic ability could give them a fight.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
As weird and horrifying as it looks, let's not forget that it's a still frame. Sometimes I find it's not worth to stop and analyse each frame. It doesn't excuse the lack of effortfrom the animation team but I find it less painful for my eyes when I don't pay too much attention to these details.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
As weird and horrifying as it looks, let's not forget that it's a still frame. Sometimes I find it's not worth to stop and analyse each frame. It doesn't excuse the lack of effortfrom the animation team but I find it less painful for my eyes when I don't pay too much attention to these details.

Well, it looked horrible in motion too. That's why I bothered capturing it. I just didn't feel like making an animated GIF. Furthermore, it looks exactly like the first season. No improvement in either character resemblance or visual fidelity. Flat cel-shaded shit.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Well, it looked horrible in motion too. That's why I bothered capturing it. I just didn't feel like making an animated GIF. Furthermore, it looks exactly like the first season. No improvement in either character resemblance or visual fidelity. Flat cel-shaded shit.

Don't worry I wasn't blaming you or anything and I totally agree with you. I don't think we can expect a lot of improvement anyway (if improvement at all) I'm just not gonna base my opinion on this teaser that has a low quality in the first place (well at least from where I've seen it).

By the way Walter, what do you think of the small glimpse of Griffith riding Zodd's hand? It seemed okay at a quick glance but with all we've seen so far I'm not sure what to say about it.

Maybe one day we'll get something nice for an adaptation. If for some luck I win the lottery I,ll create an animation studio just for that and get you guys on board to make a real nice adaptation. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I'm just not gonna base my opinion on this teaser that has a low quality in the first place (well at least from where I've seen it).

Good point, it's low res and cropped for maximum shittiness.

By the way Walter, what do you think of the small glimpse of Griffith riding Zodd's hand? It seemed okay at a quick glance but with all we've seen so far I'm not sure what to say about it.
That looked good! But only by comparison. :griffnotevil: Zodd's still the wrong color (as if they based it off of Vol 34's cover, with its unique lighting). But if they could pull anything from the entire Hill of Swords sequence, why not pair it with any other shot of Guts?

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Good point, it's low res and cropped for maximum shittiness.
That looked good! But only by comparison. :griffnotevil: Zodd's still the wrong color (as if they based it off of Vol 34's cover, with its unique lighting). But if they could pull anything from the entire Hill of Swords sequence, why not pair it with any other shot of Guts?

Haha true. I was wondering actually what was happening with Zodd. I'm at work so I have to Watch it on my iPad. But I asked myself the same thing. It quickly looks like it's the part when Guts is gonna run straight for Griffith when they meet again. But still, like you said, they could have showed a better shot of him. Oh well, I guess we can't have all we want, right?

Here is the Titles for the upcoming 5 episodes of Season 2:

#13 ほころぶ世界

#14 冬の旅路

#15 飛剣の御旗

#16 獣鬼の森

#17 幽界-かくりよ

Well, as it shows, they are NOT putting much effort on it (none at all).

As in Season 1 - this "continuation" takes episodes titles from the manga as titles for their respective "adaptated versions". :schnoz: :troll:

AND, as usual, it seems we are going to run in a marathon...(again). :rickert:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jemuller said:
Here is the Titles for the upcoming 5 episodes of Season 2:

#13 ほころぶ世界

#14 冬の旅路

#15 飛剣の御旗

#16 獣鬼の森

#17 幽界-かくりよ

First five episodes take them midway through Volume 24. The season will probably end just before Chapter of Falconia, when the apostles infiltrate Wyndham.

Big question now is if there'll even be a season 3. During Season 1's touring, the producer alluded in interviews to having more episodes in the can -- presumably that was season 2 -- but what about moving forward?

Well shit. Looks like I was wrong. I predicted that they were going to cover volumes 22-26, ending with the fight between Guts and Grunbeld, but it looks like they want to rush through even more material, going so far as to encompass all or most of v22 in a single episode. Fucking Christ.

Guess Farnie and Pico's backstory was cut. :schierke: They probably would have handled it shittily anyway but as a Farnese fangirl I am so goddamn salty about how this adaptation is treating her. Fucking bullshit.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Walter said:
Big question now is if there'll even be a season 3. During Season 1's touring, the producer alluded in interviews to having more episodes in the can -- presumably that was season 2 -- but what about moving forward?

Lost Children, here we come! :troll:

Cyrus Jong said:
Well shit. Looks like I was wrong. I predicted that they were going to cover volumes 22-26, ending with the fight between Guts and Grunbeld, but it looks like they want to rush through even more material, going so far as to encompass all or most of v22 in a single episode. Fucking Christ.

That was about par for the course last season I believe. I seem to remember specifically it was either volume 19 or 20 that was fit into a single episode. I could be misremembering though, and it was only half the volume. Either way, it wasn't good.

Delta Phi said:
Lost Children, here we come! :troll:

God, I hope not. I hope this is the last season of Berserk these clowns ever make. And when it's done, I hope it's the last thing they ever do. Won't happen, but hey, a man can dream.

That was about par for the course last season I believe. I seem to remember specifically it was either volume 19 or 20 that was fit into a single episode. I could be misremembering though, and it was only half the volume. Either way, it wasn't good.

Wasn't Volume 19, I can tell you that much. I remember one episode of the anime ending with an imitation of this epic spread.

Delta Phi said:

I think it was most of volume 18 crammed into episode 6, with all the crazy heretic sex cult stuff and Farnese's crisis of faith being a horribly rushed mess.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
Wild speculation about a possible S03: Anime adaptations are usually divided into a 3 month chunk, a 3 (or sometimes 6) month break, and then the back half. Us getting 24-26 eps. was what i always expected and having them start with No. 14 for S02 just confirms that this is still a "S01" order. US shows take (winter) breaks too for example, so no revaluations here. Which brings me to the numbers Hitoshura linked too in the overall anime thread. Thx. These are shockingly low, i truly mean that in every sense. I did NOT expect sales below 1k in week 1 and anime make most of the money in the week of release. Them even doubling the number over time is unbelievable, which would still be a very bad figure. A completely new production order is thus impossible. The show is objectively a bomb, unless it is a tax write off scam :ganishka: .

What i can imagine is a 1 to 2 part OVA, which brings me to the Terra Formars adaptation by Liden Films. It´s basically Gantz in space for context. It took 1 year and 3 months for S02 to come out, as the original animation staff was fired, due to poor disc sales. These are how Midnight Anime make most of their revenue (let´s keep is simple). Both seasons also had problems i don´ t need to address here. S01 had a WAY higher budget and both adapted the 1st and 2nd act of the core manga arc respectively, if you see the current time skip as "act 4". An OVA is supposed to come next, but it may also be cancelled due to a conflicting report this month. The OVA is supposed to be bundled with a limited print of a new volume. It will skip the 3rd act and just adapt a current volume. That´s comparable to WB skipping book 3 to 4 of Potter and doing a random adaptation of the trials in book 5, with NO context. I didn´t ask for this...
We could thus get a 2 part adaptation of the Sea God arc next. It´s frankly more believable that a new season and the TF OVA can only have been commissioned to "promote" the Takashi Miike film.
Do we have something to "promote"? Musou 1,5? Huh, that one could help to push a new anime / OVA into production. That´s my somewhat educated take.

PS: I recently saw the impressive Gantz:O CG anime film and it 100% proves that a true to the source Berserk adaption can be made in the present market. There are no excuses!

jackson_hurley

Sareth said:
I think it was most of volume 18 crammed into episode 6, with all the crazy heretic sex cult stuff and Farnese's crisis of faith being a horribly rushed mess.

Was there anything that wasn't rushed in that season? As much as I was able to watch and enjoy it at some low level, I mostly kept my volumes next to me to compare or complain.

Looks like crap. Sorry to say it, but every other adaption looked better then this (even the worst moments of the three films). I feel like the Dreamcast game had better animated motion, and yes I'm going there. :iva:

This is just looks way TOO TERRIBLE in many ways... i just can't anymore. This is my favorite arc in Berserk yet they ruined it. They ruined it all..
Sorry, i dont want to watch this arc with these terrible animation..

I honestly prefer if they cancel it... yes i said it. It better to be canceld. I dont want this arc to be ruined with this stupid studio.

Just stop it. Stop it all! This is BERSERK not a random manga to give it a very cheap low quality show...

Sorry for the rant

Well, this is certainly not making me feel sorry that I stopped watching last season. What's up with that season 2 key visual? If Isidro's not careful he's gonna roast his tongue on his fire dagger and Serpico looks like he's about to sneeze. The rest just look...meh. You would think they could at least do a little better with something like that. :schierke:
5jqLG4U.jpg

Little optimism left from me with the information that's trickled out. I'll watch because I'm a sucker for Berserk. I still think a new director alone would have done wonders to improve it, but I'm far less worked up over the animation as many others are. I can at least live with it. Based on the numbers for season 1, I don't think we have to worry about a season 3.

I really just hope that the manga doesn't go on hiatus as this season ends again.

Top Bottom