2017 Berserk TV Series (Season 2)

Sareth said:
LOL Yeah, it does make a fitting reaction to such a QUALITY anime

Edit: Went skimming some anime forums to see what non-readers think and geez, the Farnese hate is real.
Wait people hate her? Why? I thought she was kind of a complex character. Oh wait is it because they brought the backstory in?

^We're masochists

Gamehowitzer said:
Wait people hate her? Why? I thought she was kind of a complex character. Oh wait is it because they brought the backstory in?

I guess it was because of the backstory since a pretty common comment was that they hated her even more now. Some people were giving Serpico shit too for burning his mother. I guess it was lost on them that Farnese was trying to protect him.

I never disliked Farnese at any point. On my initial reading I mostly just felt really bad for her. I thought she was well meaning but horribly misguided, plus anxiety issues. Fucking love her now, tho.

I can praise a little improvement in animation and drawing, a good opening and ending, but other things are just average or bad. I mean, you really can't bring for the people real experience while treating the most important moments in manga with that lack of interest. It has potential to be better than previous season, but we will see.

I don't know why people are complaining. I liked episode 13. Just look at the manga they did a great job to translate it to this episode. They skipped almost nothing. So why this critics. Just don't watch if you don't like the style. Yes the old berserk was great but as berserk fan appreciate that we have an anime of this best manga ever.

It becasue this is BERSERK. BERSERK deserves a mch much MUCH higher quality than this like really, other cheap animes get good animations while BERSERK doesnt get high quality... even hentai get better animation than this...

I mean Guts VS Zodd fight was supossed to be a lot more exciting than this, in the anime the sound effect of the dragonslayer look like a freaking bell or something. They could at least take the sound effect from Berserk MUSOU game which was much better. But no they kept the clang...

While I agree the animation has some improvment but still this is not enough. Not even close

Deathspawn84 said:
I don't know why people are complaining. I liked episode 13. Just look at the manga they did a great job to translate it to this episode. They skipped almost nothing. So why this critics. Just don't watch if you don't like the style. Yes the old berserk was great but as berserk fan appreciate that we have an anime of this best manga ever.
So we shouldn't complain that the "best manga ever" is getting a rushed and amateur-looking adaptation? Sounds fair.
This second cour isn't a panel-to-panel adaptation.
In episode 13 and 14 they skipped Griffith's, Zodd's, Locus's, and Grunbeld's infiltration of Shet, and instead just cut from Griffith's entrance to the CGI bird flying 200 miles/hour back to Schierke. That scene was important because it introduced the might of Griffith's Neo Band of the Hawk Commanders and also introduced Rakshas to open up a whole new story arc for the series. Unless, they plan on including this scene in the next episode with Mule meeting them, which I doubt. They also skipped a bit of scenes between Guts and Casca before Guts assaults her.
Let's make this clear. They want to speed through the majority of the Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc in 13 episodes. We're talking about 13 volumes of content, and so far they've "covered" the entire volume 22 and half of 23 in 2 episodes.
The pacing is way too fast, which numbs the crucial moments. The content covered in the first episode was crucial to the story overall and shouldn't be sped through only to reach cute 2D-drawn Sonia and adorable 2D-drawn Farnese and Serpico's backstory. Guts's fight with Zodd at the Hill of Swords looked like a minor fight and just overall the Hill of Swords scene was lackluster because it's supposed to be a hugely defining moment for the series. It's Guts talking to (reincarnated) Griffith since the Eclipse for heaven's sake! Not to mention Zodd's vomit-inducing CG model.
I could go on and on about the story, but I do feel like they're improving art and direction-wise. For example, it was actually nice to see Serpico and Farnese's backstory animated all in 2D. Also, they fixed Guts's face, and although the 3D models barely have any details or texture on them, it makes watching scenes with Guts much more bearable.

Léon-Solide said:
The pacing is way too fast, which numbs the crucial moments.

This is the worst part of the adaption which I feel is overlooked more so than not. As stated, they are squeezing so much into a few episodes. The moments that need and deserve time are left bare and emotionless. Any dramatic weight to each respective panel is pushed through like a flip book. Like showing a friend your favorite parts of a story they've never read, why am I suppose to give a shit?

So far, I think this season is an improvement over season 1. However, it still has a lot of the same issues. That first scene was poorly executed. WAY to many panning shots, with no real purpose. It was so over the top, I even started to get dizzy. Also, the fight with Zodd was incoherent. It is probably the best fight in the manga, with well defined choreography that hasn't really been matched anywhere else in the manga, but they managed to make it boring. IDK, I'm still glad that there is a Berserk anime, I just wish it could be made by someone who understands the tone of Berserk. This team clearly does not. :sad:

Deathspawn84 said:

Yes, we should be thankful that the "best manga ever" gets such a shoddy animated treatment, with amateur visuals, sound effects, music, choreography, and fucking direction that breezes past the important bits and emphasizes the wrong parts, on top of a mountain of cut material that all combines into making a story that has none of the gravitas, complexity, atmosphere, or character of the original.

Naruto fans get an accurate, long-running animated series hundreds of episodes in length that goes through every single painstaking detail of the story. As do Dragon Ball fans. Fans of Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist got themselves a new anime apiece that set about being more faithful to the source material. But when Berserk keeps getting rushed, badly-made adaptations made by the most incompetent and unprofessional clowns in the industry who have no understanding or respect for it, we're expected to be thankful? Ask yourself, would you enjoy a Berserk anime if it was done entirely with stick figures or looked like this? If you said no, you'll understand perfectly why a lot of us don't enjoy this latest series.

Cyrus Jong said:
Yes, we should be thankful that the "best manga ever" gets such a shoddy animated treatment, with amateur visuals, sound effects, music, choreography, and fucking direction that breezes past the important bits and emphasizes the wrong parts, all on top of mountain of cut material that all combines into making a story that has none of the gravitas, complexity, atmosphere, or character of the original.

Naruto fans get an accurate, long-running animated series hundreds of episodes in length that goes through every single painstaking detail of the story. As do Dragon Ball fans. Fans of Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist got themselves a new anime apiece that set about being more faithful to the source material. But when Berserk keeps getting rushed, badly-made adaptations made by the most incompetent and unprofessional clowns in the industry who have no understanding or respect for it, we're expected to be thankful? Ask yourself, would you enjoy a Berserk anime if it was done entirely with stick figures or looked like this? If you said no, you'll understand perfectly why a lot of us don't enjoy this latest series.

This. Many times over, this, right here.

Johnny Apples said:
This. Many times over, this, right here.

Yep this sums it up. I don't know who this series is for. The story is mostly faithful but heavily and randomly abridged. The art is sloppily copied from manga panels and not original. And the fights are so dull that it wouldn't even pull in an adolescent crowd. I'm dreading later scenes with multiple apostles. It's gonna look like beast wars.

The main problem is that 12 episodes, 20 minutes each, to wrap up the entire story from the Hill of the Swords to the battle at Flora's mansion are just too few, no matter how you look at it, there is just not enough screen time to cover up everything.

Add to that their utter misunderstanding of almost every aspect of the story that goes beyond Guts waving the Dragon Slayer, the excessive time that they wasted on less necessary scenes, their questionable choices at pairing each scene with an appropriate music, and the result was bound to be so catastrophic.

Cyrus Jong said:
Yes, we should be thankful that the "best manga ever" gets such a shoddy animated treatment, with amateur visuals, sound effects, music, choreography, and fucking direction that breezes past the important bits and emphasizes the wrong parts, on top of a mountain of cut material that all combines into making a story that has none of the gravitas, complexity, atmosphere, or character of the original.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Sancho said:
The main problem is that 12 episodes, 20 minutes each, to wrap up the entire story from the Hill of the Swords to the battle at Flora's mansion are just too few, no matter how you look at it, there is just not enough screen time to cover up everything.
Actually...they're planning to go even further than the battle at Flora's mansion with 13 episodes. Guts is supposed to get the Berserker armor in episode 9 according to episode titles that were already released. So there's 3-4 episodes more after Guts and his crew escape from Grunbeld and the other Neo Battle of the Hawk apostles. I'm speculating that the anime will end after Griffith rescues Charlotte from Ganishka in Windham and when Guts meets Skullknight at the beach and learns that it may be possible to bring Casca back. It would be a fitting scene to end at...but I'm not sure what to expect with this rushed adaptation.

Walter said:
What's truly damning here is that aside from a certain sound effect, I wasn't sure at first if it was a parody. That's how special this adaptation's music selection has been.

I swear to God they're gonna blare HAI YOOOOO when Guts charges into the troll cave to rescue Casca and Farnese

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Sareth said:
I swear to God they're gonna blare HAI YOOOOO when Guts charges into the troll cave to rescue Casca and Farnese

Well it'd be more fitting then him being smack by Zodd's hand... :ganishka:

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
I'm throwing money down when Guts emerges in front of Grunbeld donning the Berserker armor, they will recycle the heavy metal guitar riff from Femto's rebirth.

Top Bottom