2017 Berserk TV Series (Season 2)

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
No proper picture blog is apparently covering this, gr8t. Once More Into the Fray... and i am doing other things while watching.

The 1st short bit with Guts is alright, as they just adapted the manga and the soundtrack official went from bad to alight in "S02". The :griffnotevil: portion though can go fuck itself. The animations apparently don´t know why they are using CG, as the armies don´t move or react to almost anything. Most look like trash too, as this is the first time they are featured in the show. The 3D animators further bothered to make all these villagers but none of them moved either. So, why didn´t the use a 2D panning shot instead? That would have saves time + money and it would have looked better! The bewildering cuts and "camera" movements most importantly made no sense and all of this moved so fast that i had problems following along. The after credits demon attack lastly started in-media-res. Why?
Ep. 1 and 3 are still the very bottom and should hopefully remain unreachable but ep.15 sure tried. 3/10

Lett the bashing continue. I saw episode 15 and once again i think it was good and well told as you think about the manga oke they cant capture everything but the import things are well told. For the people who are going to bash again stop watching and go read the manga. I enjoy this anime. It is not the best in the series but it is a good translation i only want the music to be epic as the old berserk anime. I miss that

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deathspawn84 said:
For the people who are going to bash again stop watching and go read the manga.

Sorry, who are you to tell us that? Everyone here has read the manga, and everyone is free to weigh in on their feelings about this adaptation. You have zero reputation here, but you're barking orders at others about how they should conduct their posts? Get real...

This series... Again pretty faithful, if you exclude the random placement of the introduction of the new Band of the Falcon. I guess we can be happy we got those moments, as it will make things less confusing for first time viewers. But still, what the hell? Why do it like this? is it that important to have two Guts centric episodes first. We now have two episodes starting with this scene.

And how about the art? Wow this stuff was sloppy. You'd think guys they give close ups to would get a little more attention. I've watched cartoons with my nephew that are more put together than parts of this.

Things I like:
- Rakshas was great
- The Shet scene existing at all
- It was faithful for the most part, with some abridgments I could live with.
- Guts & Co. have much better models.
- The pace is moving along at a good clip.

Things I hated:
- Is Griffiths hair plastic?
- Is Zodd green?
- Why is the action so boring? I mean really? This is an action series with great drama, but you'd never guess it with this show. It's a step behind the '97 anime as far as action goes. Giant battles that are amazing in the manga reduced to sloppily animated stills of those panels.
- This series has really neutered Zodd. I feel like he's cream of the crop in the manga, but in this he comes off like a random orc werewolf apostle. It pisses me off, be/c the last two adaptations managed to get him basically right.
- Why are scenes so jumbled? Makes no sense.

But I will say that it looks like they are doing the whole manga. Which I'm kinda fine with since no one else has stepped up. I know I got into the series because of the anime. I know most people are that way. If that leads more people to the manga, I'm all for it. But let me make it clear to any first time viewer reading this: This series is incredibly inferior to the quality of the manga. By orders of magnitude.

I actually think this episode was pretty good. Aside from the ugly character models (Grunbeld's face was janky af), this episode looked a bit better than usual. They seemed to use a lot more hand drawn stills that looked decent, and I think they did a good job capturing Puck and Isidro's characters with the exaggerated facial expressions. The ridiculous panning and snap shots were thankfully kept to a minimum as well.

The pacing this episode may have been the best for the entire series so far. Scenes were given room to breath, and events were given enough time for the audience to absorb and react to them. They didn't seem to barrel through character introductions and key moments - e.g. the arrows missing Griffith, or the spirits of the dead at the end of the episode - like they have done in many of the previous episodes.

For this series, I think improvements in direction and pacing are far more important than improved animation. We already know what the art style of this series is, and we already know that it looks like shit compared to the source material. No amount of improvements in the animation is going to close that gap because of the style they chose to work with. However, we can and should expect them to improve the presentation of the story. There is no reason for them to be unable to adapt Berserk's story in a compelling manner, that long time fans and newcomers can enjoy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Episode 15: Shit Assault

Why did they break up the Shet assault across two full episodes, leading into it with a tease of the ending (Schierke's vision) and then not actually showing it until a full episode later? What a weird, dumb decision.

Didn't appreciate how they presented it as if Griffith used some magic power to dodge the arrows. That's not how it's presented in the manga. It's unexplained. No one sees how it happens. Did they all just HAPPEN to miss? Did a sudden wind knock them off course? Did he use EVIL POWER?

Why is Zodd a groaning, green-skinned, murder-zombie-werewolf?

Didn't really like any of the voice actors they chose for the Falcon lieutenants. They aren't conveying any nuance. Locus is a knight. Grunbeld is a strong guy. Rakshas is apparently depressed? All flat performances. Though I'm glad they kept the weird sound effects Rakshas makes in that scene.

They really shouldn't try modeling Griffith's hair in 3D. Those thick tendrils made him look like Slan for a moment.

griff-hair-what.gif

Grunbeld's warhammer CLANGs. Holy shit his face! What the holy hell is this?!

grunbeld-what.gif

Christ, this music! If I have to hear this old woman moaning again... Why is this Griffith's theme?!

Griffith 'sees' Schierke, causing her to fly off. A ridiculous, needless liberty...

griff-surprise.gif

Mule walking through the camp where everyone but him was paused, like he was fucking Captain N. Incredibly awkward.

Locus: In the scene where he finishes his talk with Mule, after he leaves, the camera never centers the focus of the conversation back down to Sonia and Mule.

After the first two episodes it seemed like the visuals had improved just a bit and I thought maybe the artists had learned something, but then this episode just dove head first into shit.

Deathspawn84 said:
For the people who are going to bash again stop watching and go read the manga.

I'll never understand how people think this is a valid defense.

That panning shot towards Griffith felt like a POV shot you would get on PS1 era cinematics. I think by now most have resigned themselves to the fact that the film/tv project has been an endless disapointment. Yes when this project started we wanted a complete adaptation of The Golden Age Arc what we got was a clipshow fest devoid of any characterization or narrative urgency . With the 2016/2017 Berserk tv series and their selective adaptations of selected areas of The Conviction/The Millennium Falcon Arcs while not the obvious clipshow fest the films were they're suffering from a familiar pattern of no characterization or narrative urgency.

:ganishka:

This season made me a little giddy to see the 'newer' characters animated. It does make me smile to see Schierke, Sonia etc after so long and Raksas was kind of cool. Then the cruel reality hits seconds later of just how awful so much of it is.

I find this season is better than the last so far but I don't even know what that really means anymore. Nothing I guess?

And how about that use of Saxophone in the series. What a great choice! It totally fits the fantasy tone!

Just take a look:
https://vimeo.com/212423274

Yo! Long time since I was here, got a lot to catch up on but man I just had to check out you guy's reactions to this embarrassing mess. Honestly I find it hilarious how a manga can have more frames than it's anime counterpart :ganishka: they could basically just have the manga pages as a slideshow and it would span a longer run time guaranteed. Its so ridiculously rushed I find myself almost laughing though it all.
Well I'm'a go read this thread from the beginning and probably cry all the way, both from a broken heart AND absurdity/sarcasm, if I know you guys right :iva:

ApostleBob said:
And how about that use of Saxophone in the series. What a great choice! It totally fits the fantasy tone!

Just take a look:
https://vimeo.com/212423274

This is why I have a hate/love relationship with this anime. It's so bad and stupid but the shitposts that have come from it crack me up.

Sareth said:
This is why I have a hate/love relationship with this anime. It's so bad and stupid but the shitposts that have come from it crack me up.
This shit posts are about the only good thing to have come from this anime. An iron skillet will forever be the greatest weapon ever wielded by man.

Its kinda sad, I actually like the 2D art. Its not great, but I like what they went for with it. The 3D models they are using for this anime though are worse than the ones used in the Musou game.

I'm not so sure if shit posts are really a good thing. Shit posts are the reason this series gets saddled with stupid memes and so-called jokes that get repeated ad nauseam to the point where they not only cease to be funny (assuming they ever were), but that also breed misconceptions among people who don't know any better. That's why Berserk is now forever stuck with the reputation as "that manga that did nothing but stay on a boat for years" and which "moves so slow because Miura is too busy playing Idolmaster to work on it." Now thanks to this anime, it's going to be stuck with endless CLANG! memes on top of that crap.

Lighten up guys. Are we really saying we can't have fun with the poor choices this poor adaptation made, or else risk the reputation of the series being ruined forever? That's a little hyperbolic, and the quality of the manga stands on it's own feet.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
It's so bad and stupid but the shitposts that have come from it crack me up.
Lenlo said:
This shit posts are about the only good thing to have come from this anime.
Cyrus Jong said:
I'm not so sure if shit posts are really a good thing.

I think the way "shitpost" is being tossed around here is a bit of a misnomer. Making fun of something is not a shitpost. Making funny animated gifs to exemplify how bad something is is also not a shitpost. A shitpost is something that is fundamentally worthless, contributing nothing. And they get deleted on sight pretty regularly around here. But if the author uses humor while adding to the conversation — of course, that's acceptable. However, posting shit for the sake of posting shit (LAZY MIURA FUCK OFF, IDOLM@STER)? Sorry. There are other places for imbibing such "humor."

I didnt watch the last episode because I think it's just too hard for me to watch this arc getting hardly destroyed... it was my fav arc since the PS2 game came out. It has pretty great moments (just like how each arc in Berserk does) yet this studio messed everything up.

I guess i may stop watching this. For me it's unwatchable. I may just watch Berserker armor episode. And the episode where Guts fights Ogre (because that one was amazing to me yet they will probably ruin it) also Slan VS Guts moment

I wonder when will Berserk ever get an excellent adoption in both movies/animes or videogames.

PS

Has anyone considered the very rare possibility that there might be a silver lining to them rushing the episodes?

I might be wrong, but isn't it the general consensus that the manga has been going on hiatus in order to wait for the anime?

So, if that is true, then when the anime catches up to the manga would that mean the hiatuses would be less frequent and we might actually get an end to this story within the next five years?

Just a thought.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Phonon89 said:
I might be wrong, but isn't it the general consensus that the manga has been going on hiatus in order to wait for the anime?

No, it's just that the recent batch of manga episodes was likely collected so that its release could be timed with that of the TV series. So the hiatus might have been shorter, but there would have still been one.

Phonon89 said:
So, if that is true, then when the anime catches up to the manga would that mean the hiatuses would be less frequent and we might actually get an end to this story within the next five years?

It's possible that the hiatuses will become less frequent, but I highly doubt the story will end within five years.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Question: What's going to happen to the manga adaptation when the TV series it's based on ends? :troll:

Seriously, the less these two have to do with each other, the better; I get synergistic release dates, but in a just world the manga shouldn't have to hurry up, wait, or pay any mind at all to what its bastardized offshoot is doing. I keep entertaining the thought of catching up, because I love the parts of the story being adapted and would like to see it, but by the same token it just hurts every time I try to watch.

Top Bottom