2017 Berserk TV Series (Season 2)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
7GKztYB.jpg

Well, at least it's finally appropriate for them to be copying and pasting the character model.

I actually thought this was one of the better episodes the show has had. Aside from the trolls, the animation was pretty strong, and the story was really faithful. Isidro's comedy worked for me better here than in the manga at times. All this being said, this was a character development episode which actually took it's time. I'm expecting the next couple to get bad again as we get to Enoch village's big fight.

I also fully expect the Apostle's at Flora's village to be copy pasted as well, which will piss me off a lot.They're each supposed to be unique.

Anyway, this one was a pretty decent episode.

ApostleBob said:
Isidro's comedy worked for me better here than in the manga at times.

Isidro and Puck are the only part of the adaptation that I genuinely like. I don't pay much attention to them in the manga but here they're actually funny and super cute.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
Isidro and Puck are the only part of the adaptation that I genuinely like. I don't pay much attention to them in the manga but here they're actually funny and super cute.

Agreed. I think it helps that their actors have good comedic timing, and the director tends not to get in their way.

ApostleBob said:
I actually thought this was one of the better episodes the show has had. Aside from the trolls, the animation was pretty strong, and the story was really faithful. Isidro's comedy worked for me better here than in the manga at times. All this being said, this was a character development episode which actually took it's time. I'm expecting the next couple to get bad again as we get to Enoch village's big fight.

I also fully expect the Apostle's at Flora's village to be copy pasted as well, which will piss me off a lot.They're each supposed to be unique.

Anyway, this one was a pretty decent episode.

I had similar feelings about the last episode. If they pull off three decent episodes in a row, we might actually be able to call it a trend. :ubik:

I actually thought the trolls looked alright. No one will say they look amazing, but their so inhuman that they completely avoided the uncanny valley. Their sound design is also on point. That growl was perfect for expressing a sense of menace.

The background of Flora's mansion was very well done. The hand drawn image looks like they pulled it straight from the manga. On the other hand, Flora's face was nearly as bad as Grunbelds. You'd think that they could figure out lip flaps by now. The visuals of the show would improve dramatically if characters mouths didn't look like they were made of playdoh.

Aside from the 3d models of the trolls(and sheep) this episode was alright. Some funny moments, couple of decent battle shots, also Farnese looks much better in this season, overall less boring than the last episode

__Bonfire__ said:
also Farnese looks much better in this season

Yeah, I noticed they made some adjustments to her jawline and made her chin and nose less pointy. Her short hair looks off, being less detailed than the previous style, and kinda looks like fettuccine or something.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
Last ep. was 5/10 and No. 17 is a 6/10, as they only had to do a huge exposition dump for 20 minutes this time. The ep. still completely fell apart in the last minute, as they butchered the troll attack. Overall the best or 2nd best ep. of the overall show and better than any 20 min. chunk of the films. See, i get to say something positive about this endeavor! Seeing Elfhelm in light of the current manga eps. was fun too. My biggest gripe is the directing. Nearly every single shot did something wrong but this week again showed that the often "praised" (well, not here) 2D animation is as bad as the 3D segments. They needed to rely on them due to the many talking heads and i wasn´t a pretty sight. Ah, something positive to close off. Chiwa Saito IS :schierke: . Well done lady, 2nd best casting after :farnese: .
The preview for next week looks rough though.

@Griffith I just re-watched a bit of Reboot on YouTube and it has way better animation that what GEMBA gave us :ganishka: . I was frankly surprised how well the 3D puppets moved, when compared to the ugly surroundings.

Another fairly faithful episode. I noticed a few lines cut, but nothing that really seemed catastrophic. This was an essential episode to the series lore, so I'm glad it stayed mostly intact. The animation was mostly fine as well, other than a few clunky camera moves. The colors are really working well for the series in these last two episodes.

Again, another decent episode. This season has been consistently better than last season. I'm really surprised that we spent the whole episode at the tree house considering the usual pace of this series.

I am starting to worry that these last few episodes have been better because there has been less action. I'm crossing my fingers that the battle with the trolls will be handled better than previous fights in the series. (I'm still salty about how bad they butchered the Zodd rematch). I'll be looking for a lot less unnecessary rapid cuts. There is simply no justifiable reason do that with an animated show like this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
How was the music during Flora's segment? Any more jazz music or moaning voices?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I was also surprised that they didn't cut this part of the story too short, since there wasn't a lot of action. I'm shocked to say it, but had the episode been traditionally animated, it would have kind of been fun to watch...! :magni: God, I feel dirty just saying it.

Walter said:
How was the music during Flora's segment? Any more jazz music or moaning voices?
I actually don't recall any jarring musical interludes from when I saw the episode, so I guess no news is good news as far as that's concerned.

So i did kind of watch the episodes finally..... not really i just kind of put them on while i played video games. I didnt sit down and watch them like last season and because of that i noticed nothing that bothered me. Don't hit me :farnese: If i keep hearing postive... errr... indifferent response about this season maybe ill st down and give it a chance.
Edit: There was one thing that bothered me actually. Were the trolls supposed to look so large? They seem to have made them larger.

Grail said:
I was also surprised that they didn't cut this part of the story too short, since there wasn't a lot of action. I'm shocked to say it, but had the episode been traditionally animated, it would have kind of been fun to watch...! :magni: God, I feel dirty just saying it.

Oooooo ... glad to know.

I'd been on the fence whether to watch it weekly or not ... but I decided to marathon the season once it was completed. I subscribed to CrunchyRoll around the time the season began and streamed the first 3 episodes weekly in the background, without watching it.

New episode is out. It was ok, nothing really stood out, except possibly Schierke's protection spell. The action scenes where heavily edited, but at least the different cuts had a purpose. Although, I think they use the zoom-in-zoom-out shot way too much. Exaggerated camera movements like that should be kept to a minimum, if used at all.

I watched a few fight scenes from season 1 to see if there had been any improvement this season. I watched the fight vs the skeletons, vs the goat man, and vs the torturers. Aside from a couple particularly terrible shots (that ridiculous 720 degree panning shot around guts head in episode 1 and the general sloppiness vs the goat man when guts pulls out his cross-bow) , the editing for the fight scenes has remained largely the same. I was hoping to find some sort of improvement, since the fight scenes are not shot particularly well. Instead I've found that the creators seem content with their below average status quo... disappointing...

I think we can at least say that season 2 has improved its pacing, and the editing of it's non-fight scenes. They've done this mostly by extending character and conversation scenes, and by not using all of those stupid exaggerated moving camera shots where it wasn't even remotely necessary, and sticking to your run of the mill close-up and wide shots. Although, I would say that it looks like they're guessing when it comes to the editing decisions. Their moving and slow zoom shots don't really seem to have a definite purpose, it looks more like they're moving the camera just to move the camera.

If I were to grade this season right now, I would give it a C-. It's only that high because it's an improvement over season 1. The show is still sloppy and unfocused, and likely made by someone who does not love berserk the way that we do.

I'm gonna go cry over missed opportunities now... :judo:

Another meh episode.

Oh, boy. Troll cave next episode. Get ready for the awkward and inappropriately hilarious gang bang and belly busters. :troll:

Another pretty faithful episode that relies very heavily on the manga panels. Isidro and Scheirke are coming our really well. The art is better, but the style things are presented are still very often awkward. I do have to say that I'm seeing improvements overall.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sareth said:
https://media.giphy.com/media/3og0IBpjFhvbcpxYZ2/giphy.gif

For fuck's sake :ganishka:

:isidro:

Well, now we know who's using the Beherit.

I just looked at a bit of the Incarnation scene and Jesus... there will be a moment, like Azan noticing that they're now fighting side by side with Guts and them acknowledging each other and it'll almost be like, a decent scene and recognizably a Berserk adaptation, which, being a lover of Berserk, I'd like to see more of. Then purple paper-cutout CGI Zodd shows up to see Griff and everything is awful. =(

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I caught up. Anyone else notice the pleasantly jarring animation change in Ep 17, when the group got their equipment? The entire scene was done in 2D, from a different team of animators (looks like the people who did the opening). We've seen a few moments where the 2D guys took over, and suddenly it felt like a different show completely. But a full scene, wow it was something.

Here's a clip from Ep 18 from that team of animators:

season2-differentanimators.gif

A few other notables from Ep 18, the trolls look god-awful.

season2-trolls.gif

Though it sure was nice of them to completely freeze as Farnese life Casca up.

season2-trolls-takeabreak.gif

And I'm not sure why, but they gave young Flora long, wavy hair.

season2-flora.jpg

Walter said:
Anyone else notice the pleasantly jarring animation change in Ep 17, when the group got their equipment?

Did you notice Guts' boots disappearing in between the 2D and 3D shots?

RGXkcfU.jpg

sQIKwzz.jpg

Walter said:
A few other notables from Ep 18, the trolls look god-awful.
Though it sure was nice of them to completely freeze as Farnese life Casca up.

They did the same lazy shit last season with the possessed heretic crowds.

Episode 6 of season 2 i actually sat and watched for the second half and i noticed they fixed several of the problems that plagued the first season. At least in this instance.
1. The awful clang. They used a toned down version of it when guts cuts the 1st group of trolls in front of the church, and they even mixed it up with a couple other sound effects.
2. When he was telling the others to go and help the villagers i thought the voice acting was phenomenally better than last season. He actually had some difference in the tone of his voice and spoke like a real person. Basically he dropped the edge off the tone how he spoke for all of the 1st season.
3. Animation and camera movement is much better. Wouldn't say its great but certainly an improvement.
That's just what i noticed and what stood out to me.

Top Bottom