2017 Berserk TV Series (Season 2)

Sareth said:
What expression is this?

Te4IRa4.jpg

Somewhere between "Hrrung" and "DeDeDe"

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Whats that about the. Next episode? "The witch's recollection". Are we gonna get a boring classic episode of re-tell? Around the end of the season too? Because from what we've seen in the preview, we mostly see parts that we already saw this season... A bit lame if thats gonna be the case.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
No. 20 was the 2nd worst ep. the show ever had, so i couldn´t even bother to comment. I will admit that this ep. told it´s story slightly better but it might be the most awkward looking yet. It´s the most unfinished too. YouTube 3D animation tutorials done by 1 person look much much better! Meaning that the end of our odyssey is turning out to be quite grueling. Thank god that the next episode might be a recap, as even anime only viewers will then fully realize what sort of product was offered to them. A vapid final try at a crash grab with no redeeming values. I will also be able to skip another 20 minutes in anime hell. 2/10 for both and "S02" is now officially worse than S01 :magni: .

PS: Poor :beast: . Your abysmal VA was the cherry on this shit Sunday. At least they skipped using Hai Yo, as No. 20 had the worst use to date yet.

Man I was hoping they'd actually try to animate the berserk armors transformation instead of reusing old art :schierke:
But to be fair they were probably just playing it safe so they didn't get more backlash for doing really bad jobs at pivotal points.

Why the fuck are they gonna waste an episode on recap filler? If the next episode needs more time, just take a page out of Miura's book and delay until it's done right. An audience doesn't need context switch right at a pivotal moment just so the anime team can get their shit together. These bozos...

jackson_hurley

Can't be worse then the part where Guts looks like he's gonna shit himself if he walks at a regular pace. Just a bit after he falls from the astral wounds that Slan gave him... I like last episode better then this one to be honest.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Whats that about the. Next episode? "The witch's recollection". Are we gonna get a boring classic episode of re-tell? Around the end of the season too? Because from what we've seen in the preview, we mostly see parts that we already saw this season... A bit lame if thats gonna be the case.

ApostleBob said:
Why the fuck are they gonna waste an episode on recap filler? If the next episode needs more time, just take a page out of Miura's book and delay until it's done right. An audience doesn't need context switch right at a pivotal moment just so the anime team can get their shit together. These bozos...

I think they just didn't have anything to show for the next episode yet. This episode felt incredibly rushed. They apparently didn't have time to polish it even to their regular dumpster fire standards. Flora's final moments, one of the series' greatest reveals, and yet it's probably the worst episode in the series. Great fucking job.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
I think they just didn't have anything to show for the next episode yet. This episode felt incredibly rushed. They apparently didn't have time to polish it even to their regular dumpster fire standards. Flora's final moments, one of the series' greatest reveals, and yet it's probably the worst episode in the series. Great fucking job.

I know. It's crazy how sometime you get a "decent" (and I'm stretching decent here for obvious reasons) and then the next one is all messed up and badly animated. And then they sell us that product for a ridiculous amount of money. Heh I'll keep my money to continue my Japanese collection to better support Miura instead. I wish I could get them all in one shot but I'm poor so it'll take a while sadly.

Walter said:

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman's reaction, after he finds a copy of the latest Berserk anime episode smuggled inside the barracks disguised as a doughnut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCNum4YAXSc

jackson_hurley said:
I know. It's crazy how sometime you get a "decent" (and I'm stretching decent here for obvious reasons) and then the next one is all messed up and badly animated. And then they sell us that product for a ridiculous amount of money.

What is truly offensive is the fact that Liden Films/GEMBA/Millepensee continue to spit in our faces and expect us to pretend that it's raining :mozgus:

I'm not going to argue over the general complaints over animation, but I see the opposite issues as most. I think they put time into this episode as their big moment, and simply didn't stick the landing. The models have improved greatly in quality and are somewhat more fluid than last season. Action sequences have been underwhelming since day 1 and I don't expect much change there. They put more care into this episode than most, but the full limitations of the series are going to always be there for those who can't and won't accept them (I won't really judge there - it's not what the source material deserves).

The Apostles look far better than that awful dog apostle thing from early last season or Mozgus and his gang.

I think this was the strongest episode overall of the series done to date because I care most about atmosphere, narrative, and music. The pacing was still an issue, but they at least hit some of the right emotional moments. This material could be about two full episodes on its own. The director at least lingered at a few moments and hit the right moments. Musical choices were the most appropriate this series has managed.

If you approach this episode with the lowered standards you should have after the last 20 episodes, I don't see how you could view it as the worst. It's the best in my opinion. I only just want to emphasize that I mean this as relatively faint praise.

In terms of capturing the spirit/atmosphere of the manga, this was as close as I think we're going to get from this team.

The praise I'll give it is where it didn't cheap out completely. I was honestly expecting three apostle clones to repeat ad naseum, but they did take the effort to design and build almost all of them (through background ones look pretty unintimidating). So good on them for staying true to apsotles each being mostly unique.

That said, the apostle transformations sucked really bad. They looked super cheap, and if it was a matter of budget, just have them emit steam to hide it like they do with Zodd or Wyald. That can't cost too much.

The fight with Grunbeld out of armor was mostly faithful, but it somehow lacks urgency and stakes. The intro to the armor was mostly well done. Zodd still looks like a really cheap model (Why!? He's a primary character!). The series feels both cheap, and weighted down by being a nearly 1:1 adaptation to the manga. It really is faithful to a fault.

Hate on the Golden age films all you want, but the creative license in their scenes made them feel cinematic while this just feels clunky. This doesn't feel like a show or a series. It feels like a paint by numbers exercise by someone cashing a check.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ABH said:
If you approach this episode with the lowered standards you should have after the last 20 episodes, I don't see how you could view it as the worst

I've seen them all, and I haven't laughed so hard at one of these episodes yet. It was a parody of what it was trying to convey.

ABH said:
In terms of capturing the spirit/atmosphere of the manga, this was as close as I think we're going to get from this team.

Better than the episode at Flora's mansion? That one was worlds better at properly conveying atmosphere along with proper pacing.

This was supposed to be an action-packed episode: Apostle attack! Zodd and Skull Knight fighting! Grunbeld stomping Guts! Yet none of those actions carried any weight or momentum. They also all felt stitched together, with zero sense of spatial relationship, which has been a consistent problem for the people in charge of this shit. How far down did Schierke walk to get to the door, and how far down did Guts roll?! Where were the apostles in relation to when Guts first saw them and he attacked? It felt like two different series thrown together.

The biggest moments in this episode were mostly still shots separated by a lot of pausing and talking. The power of the movements of these characters fell flat. Everyone moves slow as molasses, and I cannot figure out why. Opening the book just now, it's not even comparable. This is a child's sketch -- and a bad one -- of how these scenes felt in the manga.

The biggest moments in this episode were mostly still shots separated by a lot of pausing and talking. The power of the movements of these characters fell flat. Everyone moves slow as molasses, and I cannot figure out why. Opening the book just now, it's not even comparable. This is a child's sketch -- and a bad one -- of how these scenes felt in the manga.

Not going to argue this, but I accepted very early on that action sequences were never going to look right. I was never more underwhelmed with the series than last season when Guts fought Mozgus's 'angels.' After that, I simply lowered my expectations for heavy motion scenes. I thought it was something they would never get down. I would have initially thought that fight scenes were the one thing they'd put resources into, but my notion was quickly dispelled.

When it comes to this iteration of Berserk, I expect the absolute least from fight scenes. I don't know enough about the animation itself to speculate as to why they struggle so much with this. I still watch, so I settle for just getting the general tone of the scene down. At least in this one, I could sort of feel what Guts was feeling.

Better than the episode at Flora's mansion? That one was worlds better at properly conveying atmosphere along with proper pacing.

I thought that the second half of this season settled down nicely with slower scenes. That episode was enjoyable because the director seemed to slow things down and let things sink in. In terms of this episode, I reference the above to keep it in perspective. I'm somewhat defending the episode while not. It's far from ideal.

I thought the director did very good on some scenes here. The dawning of the Berserker armor was the most care I've seen put into this series. The models were more detailed than I can recall, even if they looked awkward at times in movement (my didn't 'stick the landing' remark). I think this was the episode they were building up to. Either this or the one that features Grunbeld's Apostle form.

To sum up a long winded post, I can live with bad action sequences if they get the tone of the series right. I thought they did that in this episode better than the others when combined with the content. My real hope is that this series is a prelude to something better down the road (speaking of a completely different future show), and in the mean time it provides at least some quality content. I'm more interested in the reasons why Berserk can't get a budget than this show's particular failings.

Walter said:

That's just fucking awful... they really have no shame to release that kind of thing ?

I recently watched the first season of Attack on Titan, I was impressed by the quality and wanted to see more after each episode.
In the case of this abomination, I stopped wasting my time after the fifth episode of the first season.

To be honest, the only good thing about that series is the new artworks that Miura have done for the blu-ray releases.

O_O

I'm just in complete awe at how horribly bad this is............. Its almost as if I cant believe it. Like, seriously!? How is quality this brutally bad even possible? I mean, has ANYONE ever even seen ANYTHING close to this bad before??? Am I going crazy here!?

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Introducing!.... Isidro the Hedgehog!

Seriously though, what was with that shitty rolling animation for him :ganishka:

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Hitoshura said:
Episode 22 has been rescheduled to air on June 9 and will be replaced with a recap next week.
krM6lra.png

Epic fail. Let us recap on the things that could have been.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hitoshura said:
Episode 22 has been rescheduled to air on June 9 and will be replaced with a recap next week.
DANGERDOOOOM said:
Epic fail. Let us recap on the things that could have been.

Looks like they should have taken another week on this one, that "transformation" looks more like a transition effect I would have used in Berserk: Recut. BTW, question: did the quality improve on the season 1 DVD releases/did they retouch the animation some?

Top Bottom