2017 Berserk TV Series (Season 2)

I know I said how disappointing it was seeing them use existing artwork for the last frame of the episode (not including the ed song) but I'm going to reiterate. If we analyze guts attacking with the berserk armor on, when he was inside of the monsters, it seems like his previous pose has no bearing on how he attacks to cut out of them. Not to mention how they really spent a lot of time with that cape fluttering in the wind. But all that buildup to his final armor mold, and they use pre-existing artwork to show what the berserk armor looks like. Like they just decided they were out of time to make a new model for the berserk armor head and just used google images.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
The series feels both cheap, and weighted down by being a nearly 1:1 adaptation to the manga. It really is faithful to a fault. Hate on the Golden age films all you want, but the creative license in their scenes made them feel cinematic while this just feels clunky.

This isn't garbage because it's faithful. It's garbage because it's garbage. The reason they mostly stick to pseudo-still frames (badly copied from the manga) is because they lack not just the budget but the actual skill to produce animation. That's why you get stuff that looks like it's from Macromedia Studio MX. These people are clearly amateurs and not very good ones. The most obvious example of this is the pacing that they consistently get wrong, to a point where it pretty much becomes a parody.

Similarly, the movies weren't less clunky because they were less faithful. They just had more talented animators (still pretty shitty ones though) and a bigger budget. Strict adhesion to specific panels of the manga was never the problem people had with them, it was the fact they didn't retell the story properly. That's what people mean by "being faithful": retelling the story without mangling it. Not adding stupid shit and not removing important parts. That was the movies' cardinal sin. I'm amazed that we're still talking about this in 2017. It's not exactly hard to understand.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My desire for adaptations to be faithful to their source material doesn't mean that the art has to be recreated panel for panel. It's more important to me that the portrayal of the story and the characters -- what they say, how they act, who is in which scene -- remains consistent with the manga, and thus, leaves the continuity intact. Readers who know Berserk can spot an inconsistency of that nature a mile away, and it's usually pretty jarring.

However, I've always believed that the visuals should be adapted to suit the medium. Artists make decisions about how they portray something with the medium in mind. Comic/manga art is meant to be viewed on a page, in frozen panels, with some action happening between each panel, and some action informed by multiple panels. And to raise a specific point of folly about directly adapting comic art to a TV: comic art rarely accommodates a 16:9 dimension.

Animation provides a HUGE range of possibilities, and to me it's simply lazy or even cowardly to portray scenes JUST like they are in a comic/manga. I don't necessarily care which angle they draw Guts slaughtering trolls from. Make it look good. I don't care if they have to cut to different character reactions after a statement if such a reaction shot didn't exist in the manga. Maybe a group shot in one scene would be more accommodating to the screen dimensions instead of a close-up shot? If it makes sense to take those kinds of liberties in the adaptation -- why not? Again, make it work for the screen! The newest adaptation doesn't do that, though it's admittedly among the smallest sins it commits.

zlganyqrf70z.gif

Salem said:
Oh my god. I haven't kept up this season. These gifs are enough. :magni:

There's a part were Puck is jittering like crazy on Isidro's shoulder and Serpico moving like he's having a seizure.

JfkV2ir.jpg

Just remembered this, the skin weights on Zodd's arm are fucked up.

VladimirPutin said:
There are many fails in last episode, but introduction of berserker armor was actually epic.
For the most part i thought it looked good don't get me wrong. It was just very jarring to me when they switched from the CGI to the picture. I agree they portrayed the raw power it unleashes. It certainly was really cool to see it animated. I was going to say i was looking for consistency but i just realized what that meant :ganishka: Especially considering how this production has been going.

Nevermind. I don't know how filterkeys tuned on but its off now.

This last episode has me wondering if these guys are running out of money. Overall the animation in this new adaptation hasn't been all that great (OK, fine, generally horrible), but last week's episode left me wondering if the next step is stick figures (or someone filming themselves turning pages in the manga).

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDzr8qoqHfM

So many of these shots really are like the manga recolors people like me would post around here back in the day... bad ones at that, "Check out how I contrasted the puke greens, neon oranges, and gunmetal grays!"
gutsbarf.gif

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Griffith said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDzr8qoqHfM

So many of these shots really are like the manga recolors people like me would post around here back in the day... bad ones at that, "Check out how I contrasted the puke greens, neon oranges, and gunmetal grays!"
gutsbarf.gif

*Puts individual Berserk armor pieces that magically attach to the body with no stripes and buckles* High-Technology Sci-Fi armour sound effects

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We kind of already knew this, given that the previewed next episode is a recap, but Episode 22 (10 of Season 2) has officially been pushed back to June 9.

http://animetribune.com/berserk-2016-episode-22-season-2-episode-10-delayed/

Walter said:
We kind of already knew this, given that the previewed next episode is a recap, but Episode 22 (10 of Season 2) has officially been pushed back to June 9.

http://animetribune.com/berserk-2016-episode-22-season-2-episode-10-delayed/

Was the episode 22's schedule preempted in favor of another program? Or did the delay happen because episode 22's CGI "animation" was so indescribably abominable that it somehow managed to outdo episode 21, prompting GEMBA/Millepensee's desperate attempt at last-minute salvaging of whatever parts of that episode that they can. That's the real mystery :schierke:

Well, I hate to admit it, but I actually watched the recap episode. Amazingly, it sucked, even by recap episode standards.

Top Bottom